• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unders 30's are more 'Valued' than over 55's ...

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
This is a bit tongue in cheek so don't bite ;)

But as a marketer I'm often surprised at how businesses manage to alienate their potential customers.

Having just watched 'That Movie' for the 4th time last night (Yes the Martin Sheen one), I was curious to see what rates could be found for the Parador in Leon. Just in case I felt the urge for a bit of pampering :oops:

What I found, was that under 30's get a 15% discount whilst the over 55's only get a 10% discount.

At the age of 57 how does that make me feel? They would rather have younger guests :(

http://www.parador.es/en/ofertas/especiales

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might get the best deal at the Leon Parador just as a peregrino, regardless of age. I met a couple of folk who obtained an excellent rate just as walk-ins at the Leon Parador. I wish I could remember exactly what each told me they paid (in May 2013), but I remember thinking it wasn't breath-stopping. I was paying 55 Euros at Hotel Paris.

What I found, was that under 30's get a 15% discount whilst the over 55's only get a 10% discount.

My wife and I (mid 50's) will be walking with our 21 year old daughter.

I guess we will have our daughter check us in :p

You might get the best deal at the Leon Parador just as a peregrino, regardless of age. I met a couple of folk who obtained an excellent rate just as walk-ins at the Leon Parador. I wish I could remember exactly what each told me they paid (in May 2013), but I remember thinking it wasn't breath-stopping. I was paying 55 Euros at Hotel Paris.

Who knows, I may just 'walk in' or 'walk on by'.

I was more curious about their public age discrimination than the actual rates I have to confess....which have unfortunately now left Davey Boyd feeling totally unwanted :eek: In fact anyone between the ages of 30 and 55! ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Better sneak in with a blanket over your heads! ;)
I'm ugly enough that I just walk around with a paper sack on my head!:eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 21.15.39.png A night at the Parador in Santo Domingo or Leon is an incredible Camino experience but the pricing is puzzling and inconsistent indeed. See above example, Sto. Domingo*! Like Sheesh says, let the Camino provide: Just walk to the reception without expectation and ask; chances are that you get one of those «secret, hidden rates» that they never advertise. Of course there is the risk that the hotel is full; if so, enjoy a beer in the gorgous lobby and proceed to the albergue, grinning whole night because of what you have saved.
:D

(*) I paid €78 there last month

Last edited by a moderator:
A night at the Parador in Santo Domingo or Leon is an incredable Camino experience but the pricing is puzzling and inconsistent indeed. See attached example! Like Sheesh says, let the Camino provide: Just walk to the reception without expectation and ask; chances are that you get one of those «secret, hidden rates» that they never advertise. Of course there is the risk that the hotel is full; if so, enjoy a beer in the gorgous lobby and proceed to the albergue, grinning whole night because of what you have saved.
:D
Also if you travel to Spain regularly and like staying Paradores you can apply to become a Gold card AMIGO member giving the very best deals. You also earn points which you use for future bookings

A night at the Parador in Santo Domingo or Leon is an incredable Camino experience but the pricing is puzzling and inconsistent indeed.
Not really in this case. It is much cheaper for over 55s and pilgrims, as breakfast is only 4.50 euros each. And that breakfast is A M A Z I N G :):)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also if you travel to Spain regularly and like staying Paradores you can apply to become a Gold card AMIGO member giving the very best deals. You also earn points which you use for future bookings
That's true. Don't leave home without it.
We got a 3 days free-on-points stay in Bielsa last November.

At the age of 57 how does that make me feel? They would rather have younger guests :(
This is an interesting analysis, even for a marketeer! I interpret this to indicate that they realise to make their rates attractive to under 30s, they have to offer a greater discount than they might to the over 55s. It has nothing to do with the hotel's preference for older or younger visitors. I suspect that if you have any skill in your stated profession, you would know that market segmentation techniques of various types work well to increase revenue streams, and are used extensively as quite normal practice.

Are you just being mischievous suggesting there is some form of age-ism taking place here rather than the application of normal market dynamics?

Look at how many people in Spain under age 30 have jobs. (not many). How many of them are staying at Paradors?
Look at the rich people. Most of them are over 55. It's the old people who have all the money!

I think the people in the middle deserve a break. That's why we have the "standard rate," of these "secret" things going on. Can't tell you how many times I've stayed at Paradors and was apparently the only person in the place.

.....What I found, was that under 30's get a 15% discount whilst the over 55's only get a 10% discount.
If I was 57 my reaction would have been to feel advantaged to have a discount.:)
I don't think guests between 30 and 55 are unwanted, in fact I think these are the guests the most wanted as they are the ones who bring to the parador the most money.;)
It's probably the younger guests who are the most unwanted as they bring in less money.:(

I suppose they think that under 30's are the one's with least money so they want to help them.
As for over 55's, maybe they think they are getting close to retirement and so may also have slight money problems.

I stayed a few paradors last time we walked the Vdlp

I would not stay at anymore regardless of the discount.

I rather prefer a good old fashion private pilgrim hostel.

This is an interesting analysis, even for a marketeer! I interpret this to indicate that they realise to make their rates attractive to under 30s, they have to offer a greater discount than they might to the over 55s. It has nothing to do with the hotel's preference for older or younger visitors. I suspect that if you have any skill in your stated profession, you would know that market segmentation techniques of various types work well to increase revenue streams, and are used extensively as quite normal practice.

Are you just being mischievous suggesting there is some form of age-ism taking place here rather than the application of normal market dynamics?

I did say it was tongue in cheek Doug :D

Market segmentation is alive and well in most industries, from Hotels, to Airlines, to Grocery stores......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's all very simple economics. We Old Foarts walk in have a shower, eat somewhere cheaply and go to bed. Young Bloods, drink in the bar, sit in the lobby over a cup of coffee, try the menú gourmet restaurante, go back to the bar, visit the gift shop and go heavily into debt. It's called capitalism.

It's all very simple economics. We Old Foarts walk in have a shower, eat somewhere cheaply and go to bed. Young Bloods, drink in the bar, sit in the lobby over a cup of coffee, try the menú gourmet restaurante, go back to the bar, visit the gift shop and go heavily into debt. It's called capitalism.

Ah. But what about the 30-55 year olds? That must be the 'sweet spot'? No need to offer them any discounts...... Maybe they're just happy to cough up full price ? :rolleyes:

... here's some information which entitles EVERYONE :) to a discount - I picked up a Posadas del Camino loyalty card from the reception desk at Hotel Roncesvalles and was given a little information leaflet with the card - basically there are hotels / guest houses which have signed up to this association and when making your eservation or just walking in to any of these hotels you simply show your card and qualify for a standard 10% - 15% discount - I must admit that I stayed in quiet a few of their listed spots - regardless of where you start each of the hotels has these cards in their reception area, you just need to pop in and ask for one http://www.posadasdelcamino.com/asociacion/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah. But what about the 30-55 year olds? That must be the 'sweet spot'? No need to offer them any discounts...... Maybe they're just happy to cough up full price ? :rolleyes:
Regular travellers who apply to become a Gold card Amigo member will benefit from best discounts and deals irrespective of age

... here's some information which entitles EVERYONE :) to a discount - I picked up a Posadas del Camino loyalty card from the reception desk at Hotel Roncesvalles and was given a little information leaflet with the card - basically there are hotels / guest houses which have signed up to this association and when making your eservation or just walking in to any of these hotels you simply show your card and qualify for a standard 10% - 15% discount - I must admit that I stayed in quiet a few of their listed spots - regardless of where you start each of the hotels has these cards in their reception area, you just need to pop in and ask for one http://www.posadasdelcamino.com/asociacion/
That's corret as I am going on holiday to Portugal in July and applied to become a "Pestana Priority Guest" and this membership opens up discounts in Portugal across their Pousades (similar to Spanish Paradores Amigo card)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's corret as I am going on holiday to Portugal in July and applied to become a "Pestana Priority Guest" and this membership opens up discounts in Portugal across their Pousades (similar to Spanish Paradores Amigo card)
Anyone know if there's a similar system in Italy?
Suzanne. :)

We walked last spring and some pilgrims over 55 stayed at the Parador in Leon. They paid 90 euros, received FREE breakfast buffet and had a load of laundry done for FREE. Sounded like a great deal (they just walked in). We stayed at and loved the Hotel Alfonso V, we also walked in and received a pilgrims rate of 60 euros, not bad.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Melensdad and @Robo its quite legitimate to get the youth rate if you share a room - well, it was back in 2004 when my daughter and I stayed in Leon. She was under 28 so got the good discount and I stayed free.

Never stayed at a Parador and on my budget not likely, but if a Parador executive is reading this post I will barter some photographs for a place www.camiongallery.com anywhere on the Levente route will be fine. Well I am Irish and I have a sense of humour.
Tongue in cheek.
Dermot (nalod)

This is just my humble opinion as a resident of the UK and an old aged pensioner. Young people have a hard enough life as it, is so if they can get a better discount so be it. I am a lucky person as I have a really good pension, and get all sorts of perks, but some of the young people really have a hard time, so we who are privileged should not feel discrimination but happiness that the young of today do a pilgrimage and travel the world seeking jobs rather than be unemployed. Good luck to us all and especially to the young and that is, anyone younger than me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

But as a marketer I'm often surprised at how businesses manage to alienate their potential customers.

Having just watched 'That Movie' for the 4th time last night (Yes the Martin Sheen one), I was curious to see what rates could be found for the Parador in Leon. Just in case I felt the urge for a bit of pampering :oops:

Funny but in a moment of weakness last night, I too checked out the price of the Parador. Sure I could put it on my credit card and have a big meal and a bottle of whatever :). I am well over 55 but I was offered a pilgrim price of 91€ with no mention of discount percents. I think I will leave it as a dream for another time. My better half just might notice that on the card in which case I may as well keep walking, too dangerous to go home :) PS. only watched it 4 times lol

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Look at how many people in Spain under age 30 have jobs. (not many). How many of them are staying at Paradors?
Look at the rich people. Most of them are over 55. It's the old people who have all the money!

I think the people in the middle deserve a break. That's why we have the "standard rate," of these "secret" things going on. Can't tell you how many times I've stayed at Paradors and was apparently the only person in the place.
Maybe I should move to Spain. I live in Ireland and dont have any of the money :( :(

I didn't suggest they wouldn't welcome you in their restaurants or dining room. I enjoyed a couple of delightful meals in the Parador at the end of my pilgrimage last year.
I ate at the restaurant down the street/hill, but it was not much to write home about. What is the other restaurant like?

This is just my humble opinion as a resident of the UK and an old aged pensioner. Young people have a hard enough life as it, is so if they can get a better discount so be it. I am a lucky person as I have a really good pension, and get all sorts of perks, but some of the young people really have a hard time, so we who are privileged should not feel discrimination but happiness that the young of today do a pilgrimage and travel the world seeking jobs rather than be unemployed. Good luck to us all and especially to the young and that is, anyone younger than me.
Mitch237uk, how refreshing to read this. The generation born in the early 70s got particularly squished. Mind you, they may no longer qualify as "youth" but they certainly will never have then pension fund the Boomers had. Yes, some will call boomers the sandwich generation: having to take care of parents and pay for kid's uni, but in the end there is that security. Plus, it's all about customer acquisition cost. Give them a discount when they are young, they will never forget you. Especially those investment banker types who like the panache ;0)

I remember reading somewhere before my Camino in Aug 2014 that paradors were offering limited spaces to any and pilgrims at very low rates on a first come first served basis. By the time I got to the website I was not able to find one room in any of the relevant paradors that was available at the discount. After my next Camino either later this year or early next I am going to book the one in Santiago despite the cost.

In 2011 on the del Norte I was able to get a room in a parador as a walk in. Apparently there was a cancellation. The room was 70 E and had an over sized bath tub. Parador de los Condes Villalba. It was absolutely brilliant and I left with no guilt attached.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back