• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Underwear, briefs, boxers.... ?

SBrierley

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Hey ya - I'm off to walk the Camino this coming August starting in Roncesvalles. I have been slowly gettin my gears together and am now starting to think about clothing. The question I have is concerning underwear, obviously not taking 20 pairs with me.... so, people tell me what did you survive wearing. Briefs or boxers, a friend of mine showed me a pair of wat looked like cycle pants that he swears on tramping in. What type of material etc.... and any other information and tips you can add on the topic. Might be a 'sensitive' subject to some.... but I have to ask. Cheers :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually take quick dry synthetic briefs for washing & drying convenience, although I prefer boxers, but figure briefs will dry quicker and look a bit better hanging on the back of my pack, if I need to dry them that way. If possible something without to much elastic in the waist band as this is the slowest drying.
Buen Camino
Col

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sbrierley:

I wear synthetic boxers that cling much like cycling shorts but much lighter. Under Armour makes several different types. They prevent chafing and can be purchased in any U.S. Sporting goods store.

Joe

"Check if your question has been asked before". As it says at the head of this page.
As with 90% of the queries here, it's all been asked and answered umpteen times before - just do a quick search..... :mrgreen:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sojourner .... that may be correct, but guess the pilgrams who answered didn't mind that much. :) Phew

With 114k posts on about 15k topics, lots of questions have been asked more than once! :wink:

Sojourner47 said:
"Check if your question has been asked before". As it says at the head of this page.
As with 90% of the queries here, it's all been asked and answered umpteen times before - just do a quick search..... :mrgreen:

Hey ya - yeah fair comment - but honestly I did - I search underwear and briefs, with no results shown to me, my spelling can be dexlysic at the best of times - was not my intention to ask needlessly.... no harm caused but?

P.s - I just search 'underwear' again... no results showing?..... sweet az - and big thanks to those who gave me there advice - :D I cant wait to go!!! Bit scared but thats only healthy I hope!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SBrierley said:
I cant wait to go!!! Bit scared but thats only healthy I hope!
Yes,it's all a bit new, reckon you'll be a seasoned pilgrim in no time at all.
Buen Camino
Col

The topic was asked and discussed under Camino Frances beginning in January 2012 with the last post in September. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/viewtopic.php?t=12556

However, I am one who doesn't mind talking about things over again. Since September we have new members, some of whom have completed their walk and may have some new insight. I think asking questions on this site is your beginning of your own Camino. As the experienced members on this forum like to say, "its your Camino". Don't let anybody having an uncomfortable day make yours uncomfortable as well.

Keep on posting and Buen Camino.

Tony

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Don't know about you, but I sweat alot. I wear the shorts that look like bike riding tights. Footballers wear them these days too as do many other sportsmen. I even wear them on a day walk. I took two pairs with me on the Camino and used to rinse them each evening. Usually they would be almost dry by morning and quickly finish drying after just a few minutes of wearing them. They are very light and the spare pair took up hardly any room. Result: not one bit of chaffing in nearly 1000kms. The downside is that they are rather expensive although there are cheaper versions but I always reckon you get what you pay for. Worth every cent in my case.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great advice thankyou!.... I've always been a cotton brief wearing lad... but I figured I best think again before I go - specially now I'm gettin a bit older - I find I sweat ALOT more in places I never used too, you know what I mean :wink:

On a totally different note - I keep reading references to 'Camino Frances' as well as other Camino titles - I keep stearing away from this title Camino Frances because I'm not actually walking in France (starting in Roncesvelles).... but does this title mean that I'm walking from the France direction? - as opposed to Camino Portugues being coming from the Portugal direction.... ? Another basic amatuer question I guess - I did advance search this and got 114 related topics but didnt see the actual answer :?

Hi,
You use this forum to help you ! Ask as many questions as you like! If people don't want to reply that's fine as lots of others will, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for asking :)

There are many routes , or Caminos , to Santiago, and they all have their own name. So the one you are finding out about now is called the Camino Frances. It starts in France , yes, but you can start it where ever you feel like starting.
Hope this helps.
Buen camino :D

SBrierley said:
On a totally different note - I keep reading references to 'Camino Frances' as well as other Camino titles - I keep steering away from this title Camino Frances because I'm not actually walking in France (starting in Roncesvelles).... but does this title mean that I'm walking from the France direction? - as opposed to Camino Portugues being coming from the Portugal direction.... ? Another basic amateur question I guess - I did advance search this and got 114 related topics but didn't see the actual answer :?

The Camino Frances is the name given to the Camino from St Jean Pied de Porte to Santiago de Compostela. People start at many different town along this route all of them except SJPP in Spain. The title refers to the route along which those coming from France walked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Underwear from Rohan is good for the Camino. lightweight quick drying etc. Some still available in the new year sale - it isn't cheap but it is worth its money. Ladies and gentleman catered for with briefs and trunks (similar to boxers but a better fit) etc. We reckon on taking 3 pairs each.

The Camino Frances is the name given to the Camino from St Jean Pied de Porte to Santiago de Compostela.
While that is completely correct in the vernacular of this Forum (and The Way), there are other descriptions of the route:

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... varro.html

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... ances.html
By far the most used route, and the one regarded by many as 'The Camino'. The Camino Navarro from Roncesvalles and the Camino Aragonés from the Somport pass combine at Puente la Reina, and then cross northern Spain to Santiago. The term Camino Francés is often used to include at least part of the Camino Navarro, typically from Roncesvalles or St Jean Pied de Port.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can only speak from my own experience but would definitely go for boxers rather than briefs regardless of material, you'll be walking for long distances in warm/hot weather and a little extra ventilation in the nether regions I found most welcome :wink: . I brought a 3 pack of very light cotton boxers from a chain store ( about €3/$5 ) for my early September camino and had no problems with temperatures hitting 80 F most days, the very light cotton dried out overnight without fail after washing. Try out on some of your training walks and if you find you start chafing then maybe try the cycling shorts or similar style.

My personal experience -- I chose sport boxers made from a synthetic material that wicked moisture away - they worked wonderfully. I discover these the hard way after practice hikes using cotton boxers left me with painful chaffing in my inner thighs. Examples are listed in the gear section of my site. Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

Hi all - the question of briefs or boxes is a personal one " wear what feels most comfortable for you". However on the question of fabric I would recommend against cotton - it gets wet and stays wet. You need a fabric that wicks away the moisture - a brand I use is exoffico - they come in briefs and short leg which I find more comfortable as it prevents upper legs rubbing together. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can people recomend wicking underwear for the camino. I have seen under armour on Amazon. I dont really like the tight waistbands. I feel they would cut into my skin. Also they are quite a tight fit. I generally like my underwear to be nice and loose. It allows your skin to breathe. I want to avoid cotton.

Check out www.exofficio.com I swear by the women's underwear. they are pricey , but you can look for sales.

Can people recomend wicking underwear for the camino [...] they are quite a tight fit. I generally like my underwear to be nice and loose. It allows your skin to breathe. I want to avoid cotton.
Wicking underwear is designed to be a tight fit, the fit contributes to the wicking property. This may seem counter-intuitive if you are used to a bit of a breeze around your bits but it works. I use Rohan, readily available in the UK, and 'online'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.