• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

underwear

paddy25c

do i need to get some trekking underwear or just put some cycling shorts on under my normal underwear , dont want to get cheffed . discuss

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
paddy25c said:
do i need to get some trekking underwear or just put some cycling shorts on under my normal underwear , dont want to get cheffed . discuss

Do you chaff normally when you walk? If not then you should be ok! I know people who just wear normal cotton underwear and know nothing of chaffing, I chaff and have to be very careful in what I wear. If you chaff all kinds of things come into play, the temperature in which you walk, the distance, humidty, protective(or lack of) creams/lubricants etc, etc.

The mantra for hiking should be "no cotton". Cotton absorbs and maintains moisture and therefore will cause chaffing. Cotton also, maintains odors, takes longer to dry when washed and is generally not suitable for any distance hiking. Based on that all my cloths are synthetics. My underwear are either Under Armor or REI brand. They wash easy, dry easy and don't maintain odors.The seams on both are made not to chaff as well :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hi paddy
this is your chance to dress up in lycra
and have good reason
the theory is that the lycra material reduces friction
the tech versions wick away the moisture
the slightly longer leg length prevents skin-on-skin rubbing
and the contoured front holds your tackle snugly where it sould be
i wore cycling type boxer underwear
and was very satisfied
esp when i walked with Jesus the Spanyard
who had chafed, then blistered, then septicked
he walked with legs splayed like he was straddling a railway track

Good subject.

In agreement with everyone else that biking shorts will definately work. I just add that there is a company called "EXOFFICIO" that manufacture underwear specifically designed for hiking and travel. Made of a nylon/lycra fabric blend, this underwear is very effective in preventing chaffing. I prefer it over cycling shorts because it is lighter in weight, not as snug against the body and minimizes entrapment of perspiration, thus making it more comfortable to wear. Easy to wash and will quickly dry.

Exofficio products are available in many outdoor and camping shops, including a store in Dublin called Base Camp. I would guess that there are also other brands similarly made for these purposes.

.......does that mean you'll have a funny walk, with your bum sticking out like cyclists do when they get off their bikes.

More seriously or less will you get put to the back of the queue when trying to get a bed for the night :lol: :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are shops specialized in articles for the running people.
They have undies for those who do need to protect their dangling parts.
Works for pilgrims as well.
I prefer shorts.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Abbeydore said:
More seriously or less will you get put to the back of the queue when trying to get a bed for the night

Back, front, who cares - you will just be glad to have made it somewhere and not have to walk another step, I have had sprained ankles and the pain is still a lot less than serious chaffing.

I used these on my last camino http://www.subzerostore.co.uk/special-offers/all-active-mens-undershort-cooling-baselayer-3-for-2#,I did not chaff once and walked a lot of the time in temps between 35- 40 c and over 30km per day for the first week.

Yo, I wore my normal boxer shorts and brought some anti-chafing stuff. Had to use the anti-chafing stuff once or twice, but really didn't have any problems with it :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,
Have you thought of wearing a KILT?
Dael

I've never worn a kilt, but have served on occasion with the Black Watch. On a visit to their HQ in Perth, Scotland I was introduced to a bronze plate in front of the Duty NCO's desk. I'm told that when checking out on liberty the highlander straddles the bronze lady to display he has nothing under his kilt. No kilt, but no shorts either.
Buen "no chaffing" Camino
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
well i was rather hoping some one would recommend me to ware lacy stockings & suspenders , but ya , fine tech underwear it is , but iam not happy about it . thanks for the advice folks

Dael said:
Hi all,
Dael

aye... but its for special occasions and is itchy as...

paddy25c said:
well i was rather hoping some one would recommend me to ware lacy stockings & suspenders

we're not saying no... but as for friction modifiers we are suggesting caution with the fishnets. :!:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ward4e said:
paddy25c said:
well i was rather hoping some one would recommend me to ware lacy stockings & suspenders

we're not saying no... but as for friction modifiers we are suggesting caution with the fishnets. :!:

Oh, we are getting close to the bone; has anyone seen fishnets being used as a thermal layer, of course :)

PS. don't think a kilt would necessarily help, as I understand you have no wicking :lol:

Ordered these and pretty satisfied so far!! And they cost alot less than all the synthetics I've seen so far. Very smooth and light fabric and seems to offer good support. Seems pretty easy to clean and dry. Ordered 3 for my 2 months in Europe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AP ... 00_details

Free shipping from Amazon.com

Their main website is http://www.jockey.com/

Hope that helps.

And oh this seems like a very good deal too from same seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-H-Fly-Trunk ... pd_sbs_a_6

A two pack!!

I just said all that and i have no idea if your a woman or man :lol:

For UK forumites:
Marks & Spencer "UltraFit Active" top and pants - wicking sportswear, reasonably priced, available in any colour as long as it's black..... :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
paddy25c said:
well i was rather hoping some one would recommend me to ware lacy stockings & suspenders , but ya , fine tech underwear it is , but iam not happy about it . thanks for the advice folks

Stopped sort of late at an Alburge outside of Sarria. My wife and I found bottom bunks next to each other with about 2' in between...the top bunks were taken. After dinner we came back, my wife went to sleep and I was reading the Book of James on my iPod. A little later a group of young people came in and two young German girls were getting ready to get up to their top bunks. I didn't pay much attention to their movement...I was just trying to read St. James. About the time I got to the passage "blessed is the man who endureth temptation" one of the girls, standing about 2 feet away from where I am on the bottom bunk, drops her pants. My first thought was...there is temptation. My second was...she is walking the Camino in a very tiny blue thong. Lest you think that she only slept in that underwear, in the morning she changed into her walking pants still wearing the thong.

Oh, the tales I could tell of the pilgrim laundry that´s been hung to dry on our clothsline... Amazing what some people wear... and don´t wear. And hardly wear! :shock:

wdbillingsley said:
About the time I got to the passage "blessed is the man who endureth temptation" one of the girls, standing about 2 feet away from where I am on the bottom bunk, drops her pants. My first thought was...there is temptation. My second was...she is walking the Camino in a very tiny blue thong..

Lucky you, it was young women wearing very little. In Burgos, 2 older Spaniards we're sitting on the bed, legs wide apart in tiny little banana pouch underwear, their bellies spilling over... that was a shock. I hurried to the shower and when I came back to my bunk, a fit 30-something man was standing there, stark naked, putting his things in the locker. That was much more appreciated. :mrgreen:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Even as a Scotsman I'd hate to wear a kilt on Camino, although I know it's been done. They're heavy, wool, impossible to wash or dry, and don't even think about losing any weight because when it slips down you'll be left with nothing!

At a special event with a crisp shirt and tie they are fantastic though! :D

Happy Burns' Night everyone!

paddy25c said:
how good/bad are the M&S UltraFit Active, there is an M&S near me

Well, I wore them on the Ingles for a week, and again on the Madrid for a week in 35C+ temps. Definitely taking same on Frances in April. Comfortable and quick drying, and not expensive.
Worth a try,IMO

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back before synthetics intrepid adventurers and mountaineers wore silk underwear -

Cleanliness is the key .. sweat rashes, inflammation, and so on are to do with the proliferation of nasty microbes on your skin - keep those areas really clean by regular washing - this is especially so for cyclists as they connect to the saddle all day .... wherever skin rubs or is hidden away from the fresh air .. getting moist and sweaty - keep those areas clean. Just soap and water will do, but don't neglect it :wink:

skin friction and Burn's night .... there is a joke there, if I can just grasp it ...... :lol: :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i got a couple of pairs of under armor underwear & i've road tested them @ work & i've still gotten chafed , iam looking into anti chafing gell any thoughts?

Cleanliness is all - when those sweaty bits are rubbing together, separated only by a fabric that sucks up the sweatiness, and those microbes split and double, split and double - all day! Keep the whole area clean, add some form of clean oil/creme to lubricate to lessen friction, sure - but keep that area seriously clean!
:wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Talc dries and reduces friction. Corn starch does not, so check the ingredients in powders. Shorts with a built-in mesh lining are a good alternative to actual underpants.

BodyGlide smeared along hips and thighs and waist should be a big help in preventing chafing.

To prevent chaffing, wear a skirt or kilt and go commando.

I didn't want to start another thread for this post so I am kinda hijacking this one. Sorry. But Merino Wool underwear?

I was buying my last few bits and pieces yesterday when the fella who worked the the store advised me to get them for the walk? Does anyone else wear them? Are they actually a good idea? I leave in seven days, with my plan to walk from St Jean. I don't want to bring some to test the theory to find it's not a good idea. So advise? Should I pick up a pair or two before I go?

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

Críostóir MacAodha

I use merino long underwear for warmth, but wear polypro briefs underneath. The wool is not that comfortable or moisture-wicking! The long underwear will come in handy if you are leaving soon.

For my next walk I will be using merino wool long underwear, merino undies, merino long sleeve and merino short sleeve. They are the best - I love Icebreaker and Smartwool.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CriostoirMacAodha said:
But Merino Wool underwear?

I used them in November 2010 they were just about right for that time of year, but I would not use them in a warmer season, March Into April might just be Ok. They were superfine, I hardly noticed them and they did wick moisture away but did not let it go, so you would reach a point when they would stop wicking, usually for me around the 24-26km mark and then I would start chaffing.

AW: underwear

I have made the same mistake with the Merino underwear and I was happy to find polyester shirts and briefs in Leon. Merino just wouldn't dry.

[EDIT]
I have to add: I walked the Camino Frances in November/December 2009 and I would definately not use any natural materials for clothing anymore. Merino wool was warm and comfy in the winter, but once I have started walking and sweating, I found myself planning my rests from hand dryer to hand dryer and switching t-shirts all the time... Functional underwear (polyester etc.) is much better.

Bye,
sternenstrasse

Many funny replies but not much sensible advice. If you are in the UK, Rohan do a very good line in underwear for men and women in synthetic silk. Very light weight and very functional and only weigh about 35 grammes I believe.
Ron

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
trumpy said:
Many funny replies but not much sensible advice. If you are in the UK, Rohan do a very good line in underwear for men and women in synthetic silk. Very light weight and very functional and only weigh about 35 grammes I believe.
Ron

Sadly they just made me redundant and closed the only store on our island, and I have no time to order them, but they had a great range.

Here is what worked for me in January-February. Patagonia Capilene 2 T shirt, and Ex Officio boxer briefs. Both are light, well constructed, dry quickly, and are still in daily use a year later. I wore a Patagonia Capilene 3 1/4 zip turtleneck as a outer layer and a pair of Capilene 3 long underwear when things got a bit frosty. Never had any chafing issues but the cold weather helps out in that regard (not much sweating). My experience with smartwool underwear (T shirt only) was that it became itchy after awhile. The synthetics do a great job wicking away body moisture and they dry quickly (key point). I am sure there are many manufacturers whose products can satisfy your needs. Good luck.

John

CriostoirMacAodha said:
Sadly they just made me redundant and closed the only store on our island, and I have no time to order them, but they had a great range.
Trekmate might suit you from some outdoor stores. Next day delivery from Amazon maybe would get them to you in time. Tend to be a bit small fitting so you might want to get a larger size than normal. We have our Rohan undies, the 'cool' range, and wouldn't want to walk in merino wool (as others have already said). We take trekmate longjohns as additional layer for evening/pyjama bottoms but would seldom walk in them.
Buen Camino

€149,-
We all have our different special opinions and experiences and I respect everyone´s opinion. Intressting dicussion. And good to know everybody finally finds their way by trial and error.

In my opinion there is none or very little chaffing if using the merino specially designed for runners. The merino is warm when needed and cool when needed. Dries fast. Keeps you warm in any condition. I am very happy with the gear I have now.

buen camino
annie

anniethenurse said:
In my opinion there is none or very little chaffing if using the merino specially designed for runners. The merino is warm when needed and cool when needed. Dries fast. Keeps you warm in any condition. I am very happy with the gear I have now.
And for a reason I will not explain, I prefer dark colored undies.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Someone jokingly mentioned going commando but on a more serious note, during my last long-distance hike i'd go commando at night just to get some air circulating down there and really dry things out vs. being covered up all the time. I never had any problems with chafing and I wore regular cotton. :)

vagabondette said:
Someone jokingly mentioned going commando but on a more serious note, during my last long-distance hike i'd go commando at night just to get some air circulating down there and really dry things out vs. being covered up all the time. I never had any problems with chafing and I wore regular cotton. :)

Merino wool & Bamboo is enough commando for me, let you know how I get on :lol:
& http://www.sudocrem.co.uk/ just incase :mrgreen: :arrow:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
trumpy said:
Ron

Definitely a case with this posting of sorting the wheat from the chaff (as opposed to the chafe/chafing alluded to) and the relevant from the irreverent to unearth the good advice beneath the surface humour.

The M&S tip is certainly a useful one for me and I'll be trying their 3 for £15 base layer pants.

Swear by icebreaker 150 guage merino, slight itchiness adds to the hair shirt pilgrim experience, dont pong and black does'nt show stains, unfortunately not avaailable in brown.

I've been trying out the ExOfficio Give-N-Go sport briefs and I was surprised by how comfortable they were and how they deal with moisture. They offer great support but almost feel like nothing's there when you're hiking. I've even practiced washing them by hand and letting them air dry, and it's very quick, even when you don't have them in sunlight. I'm definitely taking them along on my Camino.

Amazon.com has great pricing compared with what you would pay on the ExOfficio Web site or other outdoor gear sites, such as REI. That's true of a number of ExOfficio items. My rule has been to ignore any concerns about color and just look for the best price in my size. I've found some amazing deals that way.

These underpants are excellent for the Camino. They also double up as a poncho but could also be used as a small child's tent.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343138709.352682.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343138709.352682.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,774
markss said:
Good subject.

In agreement with everyone else that biking shorts will definately work. I just add that there is a company called "EXOFFICIO" that manufacture underwear specifically designed for hiking and travel. Made of a nylon/lycra fabric blend, this underwear is very effective in preventing chaffing. I prefer it over cycling shorts because it is lighter in weight, not as snug against the body and minimizes entrapment of perspiration, thus making it more comfortable to wear. Easy to wash and will quickly dry.

Exofficio products are available in many outdoor and camping shops, including a store in Dublin called Base Camp. I would guess that there are also other brands similarly made for these purposes.

I ordered a few products from Exofficio and I have to say they are revolutionary. I've never had underwear that was that breathing :D! It's incredible. For those who are price conscious, you can find brand new products on eBay.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rohan cool silver trunks for Terry, not mens' briefs or boxers. Rohan cool silver briefs for me, for walking. Last year I had their cool longer leg style too for evening, but not my choice for walking. This year I took their ultra silver briefs for evening. Ultra lightweight and dry in 2-3 hours and also good for walking too.

I am concerned about "Camino consumerism"

I am guilty of purchasing all new everything, from socks to rucksac, for the Camino.
And judging from what I saw along the way, I am not the only one.

All that new stuff did not eliminate getting wet through in the rain, or burned by the sun.

BoldenMD said:
I've been trying out the ExOfficio Give-N-Go sport briefs and I was surprised by how comfortable they were and how they deal with moisture. They offer great support but almost feel like nothing's there when you're hiking. I've even practiced washing them by hand and letting them air dry, and it's very quick, even when you don't have them in sunlight. I'm definitely taking them along on my Camino.

Got my 3 pair today, I agree with Michael, wears great, hand washed and dried in about 2 hrs, but this is the summer in the South.

When I struck out on my Camino (22 April - 2 June 2009) I was struck by the differences between how people apporached this experience. Many people were outfitted as if they were going on a mountain trek while others appeared to approach this experience as if they were merely taking a lovely walk. I am grateful that I travelled very light and that I did not get too caught up in the check-list frenzy. Finding the "perfect" stuff is, of course, an illusion.

Like Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz, I learned that I had what I needed...we always have it and we always will. Just setting one foot in front of another and humbly moving forward with joy in my heart is really all I needed. All the money in the world cannot buy that. And frankly,my experiences were richer when I leaned into the ambiguity and reached out to the world, trather than when I stockpiled things that in turn seemed to isolate me from experiencing Life with a capital L.

New underware, special shoes,, pricey walking sticks could add nothing to the experience.

Life is good.

"Ginn"
In Sunny SC

skilsaw said:

I am guilty of purchasing all new everything, from socks to rucksac, for the Camino.

All that new stuff did not eliminate getting wet through in the rain, or burned by the sun.

I definitely see the value in the simplicity of the experience. In fact I'm looking forward to it. It's one of the things that has drawn me to the Way. However, it's definitely necessary to buy some equipment. I, for example, have never owned a backpack of any sort, and I can't imagine a briefcase would serve me well on the Camino, or that cap-toe oxfords would be suitable while walking through the Pyrenees.

It also seems logical to take advantage of the treasure trove of useful information on this forum and others about materials and preparations that have worked for others. Otherwise, why share it? When undertaking any endeavor finding the right tools and equipment goes a long way toward improving the journey, freeing you, in fact, from material cares so that you can enjoy fully the physical experience. And everyone's Way is different. That diversity is one of the things we celebrate about the Way of Saint James.

Buen Camino.

Vjpulver wrote " I am grateful that I travelled very light and that I did not get too caught up in the check-list frenzy. Finding the "perfect" stuff is, of course, an illusion. ...Like Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz, I learned that I had what I needed...we always have it and we always will. Just setting one foot in front of another and humbly moving forward with joy in my heart is really all I needed. All the money in the world cannot buy that. And frankly,my experiences were richer when I leaned into the ambiguity and reached out to the world, trather than when I stockpiled things that in turn seemed to isolate me from experiencing Life with a capital L. ...New underware, special shoes,, pricey walking sticks could add nothing to the experience. ..Life is good."

Indeed. Life can be very good. Perhaps this thread should be retitled Inner-wear. On the Camino what matters most is to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. We pilgrims should be thankful at the end of each day for simple shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk for me), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and if possible good companionship.

What matters most is to DO IT!

Carpe diem!

Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
vjpulver said:
New underware, special shoes,, pricey walking sticks could add nothing to the experience.

This is true. However, NOT having the correct gear can DEFINITELY detract from your camino so why not be as prepared as possible?

vjpulver said:
Many people were outfitted as if they were going on a mountain trek while others appeared to approach this experience as if they were merely taking a lovely walk. I am grateful that I travelled very light and that I did not get too caught up in the check-list frenzy. Finding the "perfect" stuff is, of course, an illusion.
Great post. You can worry too much about every detail. Good footwear and backpack are important, clothes that dry reasonably quickly are important, and something for warm/cold/wet weather are important. Undies are a personal preference. The main issue is taking respectable ones so you don't shame yourself in a dorm situation. :D

Buen Camino!

They offer great support but almost feel like nothing's there when you're hiking.

Ha ha, they do feel like you have nothing on, in a good way :D :oops:

skilsaw said:

Much of our 'new' stuff did its 4th time on the Camino this year, as well as being used for some walking in the UK. Only new stuff this year was replacement pair of socks for Terry, we already had everything else. We didn't get wet, in spite of rain, or burned - our shirts have long sleeves, trousers zip off etc. We have tended to keep our Camino stuff for the Camino and not wear it out while training - especially true of our 'good' boots, we were wearing up a previous pair each for general walks.

There was a good thread some time back about doing a Camino without buying new stuff. Difficult for first timers, but easier for returning pilgrims/regular long distance walkers

I'm rather picky about my undies. I've been wearing knit cotton boxers for just about ever. But I've read what people have said about cotton, so I went to store to shop for a pair of underwear made from synthetic material. All they had were boxer-briefs though.

I got home, put them on and prepared to go for a walk. I took about 2 steps out the door. Nope. Not happening. I refuse to walk 500 miles like... that. So I went online and found that synthetic, moisture-wicking boxers start at about $25.

I'm going to have to spend close to $100 just underwear...

:x

jeffnd said:

Just bring 2 pairs - one to wear, one to wash. That'll save you a little money. You can also do the whole commando thing and not spend anything. :)

vagabondette said:
jeffnd said:

Just bring 2 pairs - one to wear, one to wash. That'll save you a little money. You can also do the whole commando thing and not spend anything. :)
Ha ha! Or just go with your usual undies and buy new ones in Spain if required. Buen Camino!

$100? Good grief! Just wear your normal underpants, even if they're cotton. You'll be more comfortable in them. You only need a couple of pairs - or three max. One on, one drying, one spare.
Relax! Be comfortable! And don't spend a fortune unnecessarily.
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

I have a year to prepare so I'm watching for sales for anything I need to buy. An outdoor shop has its regular fall sale on and today I picked up Patagonia Capilene 2 shirts and shorts, and a 3.0L Camelbak, all at 40% off. I'm sure I'll be happy with them. There are always sales if you have time to watch for them for anything you need.

when do you plan to set off on your camino?

a 3 l camelback will weigh 3 kg..quite a lot?

Hi all,
Dael
I have just been to Africa Burn (Burning Man in Africa) where I wore my kilt every day - best thing ever. Keeps you warm like no trousers can, and keeps things fresh and airy!

Ah, the kilt! I have never worn mine on the Camino, don't know why. They are heavier than shorts but SO comfortable. Warm when it is cold and strangely also cool when it is hot. Also means that if it is cold pull the socks up and if hot push the sockets down - much less clothing in the pack. They come with an inner apron for hygiene but these aren't removable. I have been wondering if one could add a removable one then would be able to go pants (English English for underwear, not American English for trousers) free. All that fresh air! The simplicity, the comfort.

Any chaps thinking of getting a kilt, you can get ones made from synthetic material, still the full 8 yards at 16ozs (don't get one with less as there is no 'swing'). They are really cheap and a good looking working 'casual' kilt rather than the heavy wool traditional type. Add a broad belt and buckle, sporran, kilt brooch - proper socks and flashes, and you are all kitted up.

Have a look here - www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co.uk/8-yard-casual - if you go ahead and will be choosing a sporran get a simple one, not a dress one and not one with chain as the chain wears through the kilt material, get one with a leather belt.

Want to wear the kilt but a bit nervous (normal at first) then have a look at this site - http://www.dress2kilt.eu/

There is a serious scientific reason for wearing the kilt - fertility. Testicles on mammals hang outside the body, this is because they need to be cool to work properly. Underpants and trousers encase them with the body and they get hot, which leads to a drastic drop in fertility. Trying for a baby? Wear the kilt!!

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
Duluth Trading Company (www.duluthtrading.com) has an wide assortment of styles of underwear for both men and women which are very suitable for the Camino. I wore their "Men's Buck Naked Performance Boxers" on my recent Camino. None available in plaid but I'm sure they'd work just fine under a kilt.
They were great - wear one wash one was very possible. Even if you don't buy them, they have a very amusing catalog.

I've been trialling a modest selection of icebreaker merino garments after reading recommendations here. The underwear has been disappointing. 5% lycra, looks and feels good at first, but after a couple of hours walking, around 20C, it started to feel itchy. V expensive too. Can't recommend.

...There is a serious scientific reason for wearing the kilt - fertility. Testicles on mammals hang outside the body, this is because they need to be cool to work properly. Underpants and trousers encase them with the body and they get hot, which leads to a drastic drop in fertility. Trying for a baby? Wear the kilt!...
As a Sassenach, married to a Scot, I support @David 's comments.
Suzanne ;-))))))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.