• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Undies Matter !

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
Just a word about selecting undergarments...the wrong ones will add a bit of hell to your trek. So here's a little guide of what to look for: Fabric..quick dry, moisture wicking, lightweight, does not retain odor...need not be a big brand name. Secondly, waistbands/leg openings...be sure fit is not too snug and not so loose as to rub when walking...beware of any exposed elastic, look for banded edges. Some women choose boyshorts or women's boxers...I've no experience there. Third: be sure seams are not bulky/digging...will cause blisters with friction/sweat...try to find seamless options. I've not any experience with men's brands, perhaps a good fellow can add to thread on the behalf of the guys. Fourth: Go loud and proud! Try to buy colors that will easily be identified as yours on the community clotheslines. On my first camino, I bought all black thinking they would not begin to look dingy over time and would not draw any attention and would be modest. That was crazy. I started with 5 pair and ended with two ( one of which I had to buy at an asian dollar store! ). I want to think that whoever took my panties did so inadvertently because they all looked the same, but who knows what the reason was. An added bonus to buying colors is that they are often on clearance at a huge discounted price. No one should should stress to the point of being crippled about clothing, but some attention to details when selecting items will be worth the effort in the end. Buen Canino !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2015 I wore Under Armour mesh boxer briefs with the 6-inch inseam. I’ll be switching to ExOfficio mesh boxer briefs with the 9-inch inseam in 2019. Before moving to mesh boxer briefs, I had problems with chafing when hiking. After making the change I’ve had zero chafing. I’m switching away from Under Armour because they changed their sizing and they are now too small in the butt for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2015 I wore Under Armour mesh boxer briefs with the 6-inch inseam. I’ll be switching to ExOfficio mesh boxer briefs with the 9-inch inseam in 2019. Before moving to mesh boxer briefs, I had problems with chafing when hiking. After making the change I’ve had zero chafing. I’m switching away from Under Armour because they changed their sizing and they are now too small in the butt for me.
I actually use men's ExOfficio Boxerbriefs under my barely knee length Purple Rain hiking skirt. It's a little big in places :) But they stopped making the women's version so I had to make due with a men's small. I love it! Very comfy and dries fast.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And a another suggestion that may shock some...
Especially if you walk in a skirt, forget the undies altogether.
That makes things so much simpler.
Men 'go commando' - why not women?

Commando sleeping ok. But, walking. Um, don't the anterior netherlands bits and pieces get a bit sore.

Tradies (Aussie brand) 3/4 length trunks work for me - comfortable and no chaffing...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I'm with you @tomnorth .

I have tried a range of UnderArmour boxer briefs and in fact will be heading out to the last day of sale later today.

IMHO.....Boxers are essential to stop any kind of chafing. And the Under Armour meet all the criteria of light, fast drying etc. They are also a nice snug fit and very comfortable.

I have tried 3 inch in seams and now use 6 inch. The 3 inch can ride up a bit after a few uses/washes as they loosen up around the leg. Stuff gets caught up! :eek: Ouch...

I use these. Though they don't look quite as good on me for some reason.....
https://www.underarmour.com.au/en-a...–-2-pack/1282508.html?dwvar_1282508_color=001

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Losing weight caused a problem I hadn't considered in my planning. The knickers I took ended up 'creeping' into a very uncomfortable g-string. Luckily I found a department store and bought a couple of pairs of men's boyleg underpants. They were so comfortable!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Haha my Camino buddy & I spent an entire day dedicated to this topic and let me tell you it makes a HUGE difference! While style is a matter of preference find the undies that are the most comfortable for you & take them on your training hikes. For women briefs, hipsters, boyshorts & other styles can shift or become uncomfortable after several hours. My hubby did fine in boxer briefs.

I LOVE my Patagonia undies! They are quick drying, moisture and odor wicking. They are expensive but worth the investment. I got them on the sale site so not so bad.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought an amazingly comfortable pair of very quick dry undies at Mountain Equipment Coop. The brand is Champion ($17.00 Can) and they roll up small enough to fit into a small plastic medicine bottle. No binding seams, no elastic to cut into the skin, and the fuscia colour was hard to miss on the clothesline. My only problem is that with the weight that I lost while walking, also meant that the elastic-free undies became "free-er" and started falling down. I was glad that I brought my needle and thread and after a couple of new seams, the undies were as good as new!

I'm so glad I brought diaper cream because of chafing . So funny after talking to several men they went and bought cream at pharmacy too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@trecile

No ... they’re not ... even half price, as mine were.

I can’t wear man-made fabrics for underwear .... not even the good outdoor brands ...so it was either cotton or the merino.
No contest!

I bet you could create your own though ....
Not easy, but you are a very accomplished seamstress :cool:

I LOVE my Patagonia undies! They are quick drying, moisture and odor wicking. They are expensive but worth the investment. I got them on the sale site so not so bad.
Me too. I brought two pairs of Patagonia bikinis and an extra cheap lightweight backup for sleeping in but my Patagonia underwear dried so fast I never needed them. I like to loop my underwear over the clothes line by pulling one end thru the leg hole. This way I don't need clothes pins and this identifies my black bikinis easily. Sometimes I use a safety pin or a mini carabinier. Also be aware that laundry gets pushed down the line and you have to look for it.
Once leaving early in the dark I left socks on my bunk rail. Now I pin them to my pack if still damp at bedtime.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just bought exactly the same ones I always buy for everyday wear here at home...very lightweight, black bikini ones with lace edging from Target. $3.00 each Aud..light and comfy. Took four pairs znd came home with four pairs...Simple and hassle free.- too many people 'Overthink' some things Inmho.

When one of my black sports bras went missing, I did indeed go commando, saving my remaining bra for in-town use only. Loved it.

I go commando when walking the Camino...no bra! Most of the time I have layers on anyway. Only wear a bra if we are going out to a place and will takeoff all the extra layers...otherwise forget it!

I agree about going commando. I have soft ish under armour shirts that work well. You don’t want running ir cotton undies as they rub or get stuck. I also use running shorts with in built liner. Also body glide helps a lot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a thought on getting your underwear / socks mixed up with others........
I mark all mine with bright coloured wool. A few stitches on the waist band really stands out.
I too, marked mine... I embroidered my initials in neon thread on the band...didn't help. If someone loses their undergarments, the clothesline seems to become their new supply store. I highly recommend marking EVERYTHING you bring, especially clothing, bedding and poles!

On the primitivo some years ago, I walked along with a kilted ex-serviceman in an RAF tartan who told me that he wore fitted (as opposed to loose) merino boxers to avoid chafing and other irritation. He would always go regimental on duty or for a formal event, but one had to be practical on Camino. He also thought that it was more appropriate when changing in the confines of an albergue. I complimented him on his delicacy and common sense.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.