• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unexpected Blessings

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Two exciting things happened today.

The First: This was unexpected…. my eldest son, Caleb (just turned 30), decided to take time off of work in order to join me for my first ten days of walking on Camino Frances. This is monumentally special and exciting to me. Although I extended an invitation to all of my kids, it seemed that none would be able to arrange finances or time from work to go. Although I see this as an intensely spiritual time for me, I had hoped that I could share a bonding experience with at least one of my children.

Caleb was my hiking and backpacking companion for many years, until graduating university and becoming a commissioned Infantry officer in the US Army. This will be our first time on a hike together in 8 years; and while not a wilderness backpacking trip, walking together for my first ten days on the Camino will be special. After ten days, Caleb will catch a train to Madrid where his return flight to Denver is booked. I will continue on to Santiago.

The Second exciting thing: I bought my plane ticket to arrive in Paris early AM on September 14. Caleb will be flying in from Denver, where we will meet up at the airport. There is a 5 hour layover before we will be boarding a (cheap ticket) plane to Biarritz. A Bourricot shuttle is reserved to take us to St Jean Pied de Port, where we will spend the night (accommodations booked). Our first steps on the Camino Frances will be on September 15th.

Sorry if my post sounds like so much babble; my happy adrenaline is in play here :)

Caleb and I are now in an unstated competition to see who will have the lightest pack. I am all smiles!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

The First: This was unexpected…. my eldest son, Caleb (just turned 30), decided to take time off of work in order to join me for my first ten days of walking on Camino Frances. This is monumentally special and exciting to me. Although I extended an invitation to all of my kids, it seemed that none would be able to arrange finances or time from work to go. Although I see this as an intensely spiritual time for me, I had hoped that I could share a bonding experience with at least one of my children.

Caleb was my hiking and backpacking companion for many years, until graduating university and becoming a commissioned Infantry officer in the US Army. This will be our first time on a hike together in 8 years; and while not a wilderness backpacking trip, walking together for my first ten days on the Camino will be special. After ten days, Caleb will catch a train to Madrid where his return flight to Denver is booked. I will continue on to Santiago.

The Second exciting thing: I bought my plane ticket to arrive in Paris early AM on September 14. Caleb will be flying in from Denver, where we will meet up at the airport. There is a 5 hour layover before we will be boarding a (cheap ticket) plane to Biarritz. A Bourricot shuttle is reserved to take us to St Jean Pied de Port, where we will spend the night (accommodations booked). Our first steps on the Camino Frances will be on September 15th.

Sorry if my post sounds like so much babble; my happy adrenaline is in play here :)

Caleb and I are now in an unstated competition to see who will have the lightest pack. I am all smiles!!!
Oops, deleted then posted nothing. I wanted to say your sheer delight is palpable and I'm pleased for you, shared experiences make lifetime memories. Only this evening I was reminiscing about our break in Ireland last summer when we took our daughters to see project9 at Wexford opera house, their CD was on and it was lovely to recall a great time there. It should be a wonderful time for u both.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Adult children tend to be busy. Cherish your time with your son! And post a pic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Happy Adrenaline Babble is why I am on this forum every day! Thank you for sharing your joy! The world needs as much joy as possible, and a joy shared is a joy multiplied!

Buen Camino - and please tell Caleb how happy we all are for you!

Kathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How long before Caleb is sneaking his kit into yer pack :)

That's MY play :) One time, Caleb carried a two liter bottle of root beer that I had frozen prior to leaving and had sneaked into his pack . That day, between all the climbing and descending, we had gained a total elevation of around 9,000 feet on the trail in the North Cascades. It had been a long, sweaty day, and after 15 miles and with the sun just hovering above setting, we finally made camp. Both of us were beat.

As our MSR stove was working to cook the macaroni for our mac and cheese dinner, I asked Caleb if he wanted some cold root beer. He made some sort of remark about wishful thinking. I went over to his pack, and opened his sleeping bag compartment, and pulled out that 2 liter bottle that I had stashed under his sleeping bag (which made a great insulator). I cracked the lid, took a frosty mouthful of that wonderful liquid, and gave Caleb the biggest, snarkiest grin that I could manage.

Then I ducked as a handful of small pine cones was hurled in my direction.

PS... I know some may be thinking "You should have brought a six-pack of real beer". With no judgement in my saying this, I don't drink alcohol in any form. I've never had an alcoholic drink of any kind. Just a personal choice. My wife is the same. Interestingly, Caleb does occasionally enjoy a beer now and then, as well as a good wine.

To my Forum Friends...

I am touched and a bit overwhelmed by your thoughts and words. Over the months since I have joined this forum, it has grown into a special place in my heart. I thought this would be a site just to help me gather information for planning my Camino; but it has turned into so much more. The gentleness, warmth, caring, and helpfulness demonstrated by all of you is what distinguishes this forum from any other forum that I have tried to participate in, but eventually abandon because of..... well, you already know how a lot of the internet social interaction sites have degraded into an almost evil negativity. Here, even disagreements --- the vast majority of the time --- are written with a respect for diverse ideas.

So, thank you. You are a blessing to me, and to others who participate here.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your excitement and your anticipaation Dave is absolutely palpable....enjoy your walk together with your son Caleb.....look out for each other and keep each other safe....Buen Camino to you both....Ulreya.

To my Forum Friends...

I am touched and a bit overwhelmed by your thoughts and words. Over the months since I have joined this forum, it has grown into a special place in my heart. I thought this would be a site just to help me gather information for planning my Camino; but it has turned into so much more. The gentleness, warmth, caring, and helpfulness demonstrated by all of you is what distinguishes this forum from any other forum that I have tried to participate in, but eventually abandon because of..... well, you already know how a lot of the internet social interaction sites have degraded into an almost evil negativity. Here, even disagreements --- the vast majority of the time --- are written with a respect for diverse ideas.

So, thank you. You are a blessing to me, and to others who participate here.

Very happy for you, David <3

Caleb is a good kid to come along with dear old dad for the first ten days!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Dave---I might meet you out there. I will be on Camino in September. I'm really wavering back and forth, and may be on Frances again. In that case, we very well may meet up!

Hey Dave---I might meet you out there. I will be on Camino in September. I'm really wavering back and forth, and may be on Frances again. In that case, we very well may meet up!

That would be wonderful. I'll be on the lookout for you. :)

This is really wonderful and made me think how amazing it would be to have one of my kids join me on my Camino. Even for a few days! Will put out the invitation to them. Will be arriving in Paris too almost on the same day. Was thinking about taking the bus to Montparnasse station and then the train to Bayonne. Will have to check out the cheap flight to Biarritz. Planning on two days in St Jean just for the heck of it and heading out on the 17th of September. Maybe see you there at some time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is really wonderful and made me think how amazing it would be to have one of my kids join me on my Camino. Even for a few days! Will put out the invitation to them. Will be arriving in Paris too almost on the same day. Was thinking about taking the bus to Montparnasse station and then the train to Bayonne. Will have to check out the cheap flight to Biarritz. Planning on two days in St Jean just for the heck of it and heading out on the 17th of September. Maybe see you there at some time.

Perhaps we WILL meet. I do hope that one of your kids is able yo join you. And if they can't join you at the beginning in SJPDP, then maybe they can arrive later in your trip and join you further along the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.