• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unexpected hiking boot pain

simdel

I recently bought a lovely pair of Berghaus Gore-tex Explorer hiking boots and thought they would be perfect for when I start the Camino in July.
I thought I would try to start to wear them in by hiking for two days with a heavyish backpack including tent in the humid environment of Lantau. However after about 15 kilometres on the first day, while my feet felt great, I developed a huge amount of pain above the ankles on both legs, where the boots were in contact. I had to continue wearing them on the second day as I was camping and on completeing the hike I was in agony. This was a couple of weeks ago and I still feel the pain. I really didn't expect this when I chose these expensive boots. I don't want to wear them again as this problem may get worse. I have given up the idea of wearing proper hiking boots for the Camino now and so I am looking for recommended alternatives.
I will be walking The Way in July and would like to know if people think boots are really necessary for The Camino, or could I get away with a decent pair of Berghaus walking shoes (the low hiking shoe, which fits like a pair of trainers)? I have seen the Merrells thread, but I can't find Merrells in Hong Kong.
What do the seasoned Camino walkers tend to wear in July, other than hiking boots?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You do not need boots. Ideally, you want something that is light and dries quickly. Of course, if you need ankle support, as some do, you will need boots. It is not surprising that footwear that hits above the ankle would make that area sore after repeatedly hitting it for hours! I suspect that the pain is indicating bruising rather than any real damage, so you should consider whether you will be OK after you "toughen up" the area. The pilgrimage will be an exercise on which pain to ignore and which pain means something! Your warm-up hikes are a good starting place for this lesson.

I'm not sure I would consider an initial boot experience of consecutive 15-km days with a heavy pack as a gentle break-in. Some single 5-km days, interspersed with rest days, and a very light pack (or none at all), would be a better bet for getting your feet acquainted with new footwear. I've seen the suggestion of 50 miles on new boots before leaving on a camino, and based on my own current experience with breaking in some stiff new Vasque boots, that's a sound recommendation.

A cross-training or trail-running shoe, with a fairly stiff sole, seems to be very popular for the warm weather months. Whether it is low-cut or high-cut depends on your needs for ankle support.

You should also check on replacing the insoles with Superfeet or something similar, as they give much better arch support than the manufacturer's originals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don´t think boots are necessary, especially in the height of summer. I walked the Camino Frances (800k) in Reebok hiking trainers with no foot problems at all, not even a single blister. I´m doing the same again this year, setting off for the Camino this Sunday.
Sandra :arrow:

I have always, and still to, swear by New Balance Trail shoes or walkers.
They are lightweight, have GREAT support, especially with the addition of a $30 gel support,
they dry overnight, and you can wear them out of the store and onto the trail with no breaking in. They make them with a LARGE toebox (they call it a particular Shoe Last, not sure of the name) and that is what you should get so your toes don't rub together.

It's good you discovered this BEFORE you began your walk.

Dump the boots.. you'll be happy you did.
There are no portions of the Camino that required boots, in my opinion.

Thank you so much for the informative replies and excellent advice. This is such a great community. I have looked up the 'New Balance Trail' shoes and have found they have lots of outlets and availability in Hong Kong, so I will try these out tomorrow. They are also very economically priced too! I shall enquire about the gel support and the 'Superfeet' too.
Yes, it certainly is fortunate I have found out that I am not suited to boots now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try again but don't lace up the top two lace holes. This allows some ankle movement without the boot pressing hard on your ankle with each step.

I seldom lace all laceholes, and certainly not with new boots. I find this effective.

Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.