• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unified Camino Signage in Galicia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am inclined to agree with Fra Luchi. Every couple of years a bureaucrat realizes his department's gotta spend some money in order to get more money next year, so they invent a new "system" of arrows or shells or waymarks. It's supposed to make things more clear, and cut out the "creative" arrow-painting employed by bar-owners and hoteliers who re-route the camino to better fill their pockets. Within a couple of km. of my house I can count seven different types of waymarkers, products of seven generations of make-work projects. They all point the same way, down the same path.
I wish they'd use the money to dig and maintain a few pit toilets. But nobody asks me. And what politician or bureau wants to pioneer that?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Upwards - or downwards! Heaven or Hell???;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish they would just use the time honored yellow arrow (pointing in the proper direction, of course).
The are many locals along all of the various routes that simply put up shells with no idea that the direction of the shell has meaning. They are simply saying that "this is the Camino" without any intent of showing the direction.
It is a unneeded confusion. The arrow is simple and easy to understand.
I suspect that the average person tasked with deciding these things have not walked a camino. At least it seems that way at times.

If my feeble knowledge of Spanish is correct, the wording under the shell symbol in Ivar's original post explains that the orientation of the shell is intended to be uniform in all the signage, and that only the arrow will change to show the direction of the route. I can see the pros and cons of this approach, but since there is so much confusion and misunderstanding regarding the orientation of the shell in signage throughout the Camino, I must confess that I see the logic of standardizing the shell orientation and letting the arrow do the directing.

Of course, when the shell alone appears, one could easily deduce that it is somehow pointing the way. With all the various uses of the shell symbol throughout the the entirety of all the Camino routes, it would be impossible to get every locality or jurisdiction to change their signs and symbols. Besides, I don't think that everyone knows, understands, or perhaps even cares about the symbolism of the lines of the shell converging at Santiago. That's why the use of the arrow is simple and easy to understand. Now, if we could just put a stop to all the defacing of Camino signage by vandals and adding or re-orienting arrows to point to a certain bar or albergue, all would be well.

Before I first walked on the camino, I was a bit worried trying to make sense of the various directions that the shell might be placed in. I was pleased to find that I was able to manage in spite of some inconsistencies. Perhaps they could put the money toward a long moving sidewalk (like at many airports), at least from Sarria.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...Perhaps they could put the money toward a long moving sidewalk (like at many airports), at least from Sarria.
Yeah, but if someone took the moving sidewalk, they wouldn't be walking (unless, like at the airport, there's a sign that directs "riders" to keep right and "walkers" to keep left). Of course even walking on a moving sidewalk would effectively shorten the distance walked, so the moving sidewalk would have to be lengthened to somewhere around Ponferrada to make it 200km long for the moving sidewalk walkers, and even perhaps as far as Carreón de los Condes for those moving sidewalk riders. But I guess that would only apply to those who wish to receive a Compostela. :D

Standardised markings across ALL Caminos would be great. Also a special thanks to whoever painted all the yellow arrows along the Camino through Burgos. It certainly made life a lot easier!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Frankly I think that unleashing another whole set of signage will just add to the "signage garbage" that currently plagues a lot of caminos. If you're going to put up a new set of signage, then please take down the many old sets (Rebekah counts seven different types close to her house alone). But I'll bet the budget for this endeavor doesn't include that part.

Hopefully the Xunta manages to sort out the signage mess on the Camino Portugués before Porriño and decides upon a method of fining locals who deface, remove or redirect signage from the "official" Camino.:eek:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back