• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

University’s Portiuncula Chapel Named a Pilgrimage Site

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The tiny Portiuncula Chapel at Franciscan University of Steubenville has been designated by the Vatican as a place where the faithful can receive a plenary indulgence—an elimination of the temporal punishment due to sin.
Unlike a partial indulgence, which reduces time in purgatory, the plenary indulgence grants the complete remission of the temporal punishment due to sin, so that no further expiation is required in purgatory.
According to the decree, the indulgence may be obtained at any of five times during the year: August 2, the feast of Our Lady of the Angels of the Portiuncula; October 4, the feast of St. Francis of Assisi; January 22, the dedication of the Tomb of the Unborn Child located next to the Portiuncula; and on any day during the year of a person’s choosing, or while completing a “holy pilgrimage” to the Portiuncula with a group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, Sil, not to be thick, but....

I'm assuming Steubenville is in .... South Africa? I know of a Steubenville here in the States, although I don't believe there is a Franciscan University nearby....

Buen Camino,

Deirdre said:
...Steubenville is in .... South Africa? I know of a Steubenville here in the States, although I don't believe there is a Franciscan University nearby....
Hi Deirdre,
Link to Steubenville site & article:
http://www.franciscan.edu/home2/Content ... px?id=3363

Franciscan University of Steubenville is a Catholic institution located in Steubenville, Ohio, 40 miles west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dr. Scott Hahn is Professor of Theology and Scripture at Franciscan University of Steubenville. (If you don't know him, google him).
Very interesting place in American Catholicism these days.

Col

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that!

Buen Camino,

Rebekah Scott said:
Yes. Interesting in that church-militant hard-line Heil Herr Benedikt kind of way... :?
Yeh, but having been around a few years, and having changed my views a few times, I tend to take the approach these days, that there are sometimes smarter people than me who hold differing views. There have been times in life when I was convinced and committed to what I now don't believe. Bit like the Dylan line from "My back pages", "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".
The Steubenville approach may not be everyone's view, but everyone will probably never be in agreement. So hey, maybe "that church-militant hard-line Heil Herr Benedikt kind of way...", is right, at least for some.
Anyway, as I said interesting. :)
Col

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Crikey! Rebekah - bit rude isn't it? :shock: ....suggesting a similarity with Hitler :shock: ... good lord .. I've amended this - I do find such insults, well, rather insulting ..

have you ever actually read anything that Benedict has written? Do you know the man? What he believes? why he believes it?

If you do read something by him you may be surprised, he is kind, humble, gentle, warm, clear and an astoundingly intelligent and perceptive theologian - par ex, try a little book he wrote when a Cardinal "To look on Christ" Exercises in Faith, Hope and Love- should be available on Amazon 2ndhand ...

you may be quite amazed

Now, now David - don't get personal - there's no need for it on this forum.
You might hold a different view, you might be horrified at someone else's opinion, but there is no need, whatsover, to attack the member with a personal comment like that.
Attack the subject - not the person who posted it.

sillydoll said:
Now, now David - don't get personal - there's no need for it on this forum.
You might hold a different view, you might be horrified at someone else's opinion, but there is no need, whatsover, to attack the member with a personal comment like that.
Attack the subject - not the person who posted it.
I agree, I have sent off a PM to Señor Br. David. Hey, we are just a bunch of people interested in the pilgrimage to Santiago. Let's try to get along. :)

Saludos from sunny and 25c Santiago,
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with you both about the person rather than the comment and have amended my post -

- but I would like to point out that I did not notice either of you responding to Pope Benedict being called a
"church-militant hard-line Heil Herr Benedikt"

now only one person has ever had the 'Heil' before their name so the allusion is obvious

yet no one else responded ... he may be the Pope but he is also a man too and I should think that he would find this sort of stuff rather upsetting - wouldn't you?

Benedict's father, a policeman, was so anti-nazi that the family had to move a number of times to avoid attacks from the brown shirts. Benedict always wanted to be a priest and although registered with the Hitler Youth - which was compulsary - he did not attend meetings but went to church instead. A cousin of his was put to death by the Nazis.
Germany was full of anti-nazi citizens and it is not right at all to label him as Rebekah did.

That was the reason for my response - and I am saddened to see that no one else thought it wrong to label him so.

The fault is mine. Mea Culpa. As the pilgrimage to Santiago is a Catholic Christian pilgrimage I keep expecting people on this forum to be Christians, or at least to be 'christian' in ethics and heart ... but, of course, you are right. This is "just a bunch of people interested in the pilgrimage to Santiago" and I respond in the wrong way, ruining everyone's fun. I cannot see me changing so I don't think I actually belong here ... I shall look for a Christian pilgrimage forum ... or perhaps start one if it doesn't exist.

all the best - be Good.

Of Pope Benedict:

"In the United States, during the 2004 presidential campaign, Cardinal Ratzinger stated that voters would be "cooperating in evil" if they voted for a political candidate precisely because of the candidate’s permissive stand on legalized abortion or euthanasia. He further stated, however, that voting for these candidates for other reasons of commensurate gravity in spite of their stand concerning abortion/euthanasia was justifiable in principle. Ratzinger generated further controversy by supporting the denial of Holy Communion to these politicians. He did add, however, that bishops should only withhold communion after meeting with, teaching and warning politicians first."

I do not find this particularly enlightened, and might even give it a big "Heil."

While we're touching on religious matters, I would be interested in my catholic fellow Christians' views on the subject of indulgences, plenary or otherwise.

Am I right in thinking that until recent pronouncements from the Pope, these were generally considered to be ideas from the past which were no longer seen as particularly relevant to modern Christian faith? And what about purgatory?

I am not a catholic, obviously, and I find this forum is a place where I can enjoy the mix of contributions from folks of various types of Christian faith, and none, and where, refreshingly, faith of whatever sort, is not laughed out of court! Long may that continue!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
Of Pope Benedict: ..... I do not find this particularly enlightened, and might even give it a big "Heil."
So just what is the test these days for who is the enlightened one?
Is it based on my opinion alone, the views of my circle of friends, or is it what is currently popular with the media today, etc?
I think it best if we learn to give our view in a way that does not cause offence to any who dare to differ.
Col :)

Brother David is fully entitled to express his opinons. I don´t feel a bit offended by him, nor his defense of his beliefs. I believe in full disclosure and lively discourse, long as opinions are responsible and well-defended. This is how ideas are aired!

I am very well acquainted with the Steubenville crowd, having covered religion in the secular press in that region for several years. All papal personages aside, these folks are a truly militant über-Catholic subculture, and some rather un-Enlightened things go on there. I know because I have been there and seen it and talked with the people doing them.

Giving the chapel special Papal status is, by my lights, the pope´s Seal of Approval on the university´s long-standing anti-modern stance on many, many subjects. I´m surprised it didn´t happen sooner.

There´s a wideness in God´s mercy, after all. I´m so glad it´s God who is really in charge.

Reb

Reb, I know that you are a big girl and don't need defending BUT.... I hate it when people find it necessary to launch a personal attack the forum member rather than deal with the subject under discussion ... and I'm feminist enough to deplore it when the attack is gender specific ... and it comes from a man who wears a dress!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello (said with a happy & peaceful smile) :D
Guys, have a long hard look where this is going.
I love a discussion, but I have a bad feeling about his one.
Maybe we should all just bite our lip and walk away.
I for one will not revisit this post.
Col :) :) :)

sillydoll said:
Reb, I know that you are a big girl and don't need defending BUT.... I hate it when people find it necessary to launch a personal attack the forum member rather than deal with the subject under discussion ... and I'm feminist enough to deplore it when the attack is gender specific ... and it comes from a man who wears a dress!

I really must protest. Rebekah wrote something rather insulting about Pope Benedict and I protested. As Rebekah is female and of a certain age I asked if it was the menopause that was making her like that. Since then I have voluntarily amended that - though the menopause is a real and normal female phenomenon that can have strong negative effects on the mind.

Sil wrote that I shouldn't be personal in responses and now I find that Sil is attacking me personally.

But where is Ivar now?

and I see no apology for Rebekah suggesting that Pope Benedict is similar to adolf Hitler.

If you look at Benedict's rulings they are about the preservation and cherishing of life, not about extermination of life .. so, please, this may be an open forum but such opinions are not quite the thing, nor personal attacks against me ..

come along Ivar, you were quick enough to write to me and post about this when I mentioned a normal female 'affliction' - where are you now when a man is personally attacked?

I apologise Br David - I couldn't resist! No offence meant to your dress code :wink:
The original post was about a new pilgrimage destination where plenary indulgences could be obtained. Lets extend that indulgence to this forum - all sins forgiven.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Deep breath... one, two, three... breath in....breath out...

I see that apologies have been given so I hope this now can fizzle out.... (that is an expression right?).

Conclusion from all this?
Discussion => good
Different opinions => good
Getting personal => Not good
Apologies => good
Camino de Santiago => good

:)

Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back