• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unlocking phone bought in Spain

Veronica1

Time of past OR future Camino
May- June (2014)
I have a Huawei phone bought in Spain 2014, does anyone know if it would be possible to have it unlocked when I return this year. Many thanks. Veronica

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe all phones in Spain are unlocked. A friend also bought a Huawei in Spain in 2014 and just slip in his AT&T sim card upon returning to the US. I believe only the US has the practice of locking mobile phones.

I believe only the US has the practice of locking mobile phones.

Many phones sold in the UK are locked. Huawei phones are generally one of the easier makes to unlock by entering a code. Worth checking on eBay for very cheap code sellers. Often $2 or less in the UK.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe all phones in Spain are unlocked. A friend also bought a Huawei in Spain in 2014 and just slip in his AT&T sim card upon returning to the US. I believe only the US has the practice of locking mobile phones.
Thank you. I will look into it.

Many phones sold in the UK are locked. Huawei phones are generally one of the easier makes to unlock by entering a code. Worth checking on eBay for very cheap code sellers. Often $2 or less in the UK.
Many thanks. I checked out your suggestion and I should receive an unlocking code in next 24hours. Hope it works.

I think this is something else.

To find out if your phone is lock to your provider is easy. Ask a friend temporary for their sim card, take yours out and theirs in, if it works, it is not locked.

The unlock code from Huawei is for the boot loader and is only needed if you intend to root your phone. Something if you intend to hack your phone (for the nerds) .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The unlock code from Huawei is for the boot loader and is only needed if you intend to root your phone. Something if you intend to hack your phone (for the nerds) .

Rooting and network unlocking are very different things. A network unlock code does not root the phone or require the phone to be rooted. Usually entered as a one-off in response to a prompt which appears on rebooting the phone with a SIM from the new network. A very simple procedure - very little nerdiness required :)

Canada as well....I purchased Google's Nexus because it was the only phone that cam unlocked.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back