• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unmarked mass graves along the Via de la Plata

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
I have just learned that along the VDLP there are probably several unmarked mass burial sites where opponents to Franco were executed and their bodies dumped in the early months of the Civil War.

For obvious geographical and logistical reasons, one of Franco's columns, after landing on the mainland from N. Africa in July 1936, headed up north for Madrid following the VDLP. As they captured towns and villages they executed without trial their Republican opponents. In Zafra, for example, Castejon, the commander of the Franquist forces, demanded the execution of 1% of the population – 70 people in all. As Castejon's column headed on to the next village, they executed the 70 in groups of 10 or 12 every few hundred yards.

The identification of such burial sites and of the bodies they contain has recently become a controversial issue in Spain. In Zafra people want a monument to the "honour" of Castezon removed.

Numerically, the Republicans killed more people without trail than did Franco's supporters, but most of them were killed by uncontrolled crowds. Franco's repression was more systematic.

I think that it is important for us (future) pilgrims to be aware of what happened along the VDLP in 1936 and to spare a thought, as we walk, for all those who suffered and died, on whatever side, and for their descendants, some of whom are still in pain as a result of what happened.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This post should be put in the general "All Caminos" files, as these graves, or places of execution, are scattered all across Spain. There are several along the French Way, at least one I know of is on the pilgrim path from Madrid.

This country has a bitter past that a lot of people would rather just forget. Thanks for your sensitive reminder.

reb

I have had such gravesites pointed out to me near Talladell and Monzón on the Cami Sant Jaume, and near Atapuerca and Población on the Camino Francese. A Spanish friend tells me that as many as one in four pueblos will have such spots which are known, but not discussed. The Spanish are engaged in a very difficult and painful process here, and we should provide them with respectful support as they work to deal with their history.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year, while walking the CF I hurt my foot and stayed at my uncle's summer home in a village in Palencia until I could get back on the Camino. While there he would tell me stories of the war,including something I had never heard, stories about my father. My dad never talked of anything related to his time in the Republican army, his battles, not even how he was gravely injured, nada. So like Rebecca says there are some who would rather not talk about it, but some who will share (if asked). Like my mom, who on the other hand, spoke volumes of her time as a nurse during the war, their escapes to France, the time spent in a concentration camp.... and thankfully has written her memoirs for her descendants to read. It is quite the read. I am very fortunate to have her stories. Both have died as all these folks are getting very old and their stories go with them. I hope to see these graves as I travel north on the Via, as they will be reminders of the sense of adventure and determination and strength my parents have passed on to me.
L

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back