• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unmentionables

Catalinda

Hola ladies!

I am planning on walking the Camino Frances starting in June. My friend who I'm traveling with and I have a question, that we can't decide on a suitable answer for.

Underwear

I know that most packing lists say 3 pairs,which I'm fine with (kind of, but I know the whole carrying weight thing) but is there a fabric that works better than another? And what about...bras...I don't think I can wear a sports bra for 35 days.

What have other women done (and fyi going without is not an option)? I know it's an odd question, but who else can I ask?

Muchas gracias y buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Carrie,

Being a guy I have a slanted view, to turn a phase. On the Camino, few people notice or even care what you're wearing. So, a comfortable combination of walking apparel is your choice. In speaking with ladies, we do talk you talk you know...male and female alike...the key is no fabrics that chafe. A good under armor top is considered acceptable. It's a poly pro..cheaper than silk..dries with body temps and dries quickly once you arrive at your stop for the evening. Then, a bra of any type seems appropriate or none at all.

I've been in albergues..where I'm sleeping inches away from a lady clothed only in a light top and red thong...in all honesty...after the initial observation...sleep becomes the driving force and emotion dwindles quickly.

Two sets..light in weight...comfortable as practical...and you're good to go.

Buen "natural is a blessing" Camino,

Arn

Haha too funny not because it's a funny question, but because I've given some considerable thought to this aspect of the camino myselt ( in 5 caminos). So here's what I have found. There is wicking, fast dry underwear available at the specialty hiking stores. In Canada these underpants cost $35 CAD. I have never used them. What I have used are Jockey no-panty line @ $19 per 2pack. I wash these out and hang them from my bunk and they are dry in about 1 hour. Bras are another thing. I have always carried 2(wear 1, pack 1). You want some support but you aren't exactly jogging up the trail, so you don't need that maxi shock-bra kind of support. Forget about that super sports bra thing. I opt for NO wire and wide straps, cotton for maximum comfort. Kind of gives you the uni-boob look, but it's the camino, after all and no one is examining your profile.

So, my advice, 3 pairs of Jocky no-pantyline underwear, and 2 non-shock bras with wide straps.

MHO!

lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lynne said: but it's the camino, after all and no one is examining your profile.

I think I just said that...then again, after a long trek...it's find a rack, get things clean, share a cool beer or glass of wine and then supper...go to sleep and start again.

As a guy I can honestly say we do notice your profile...but we're more interested in your story...where do you come from...why are you on Camino...and, who's turn is it to buy the next round.

Buen "one for all and all for one" Camino
Arn

Comfort is the first issue! I personally think that a woman should take 3 pairs of Briefs/underpants, call them what you want. That gives you 1 on and 2 spare pairs (just in case). I use Sloggies - and have done for about 25 years now and I don't change to any other make just for the Camino. They are super comfortable and are usually dry in a few hours (it won't come to you having to hang them outside your pack the next day, for the final drying)! In the local supermarket I found a super quick-drying all-in-one bra. i.e. No seams, clips, etc. etc. .They are soooooo comfortable that I now use them daily, even at home. 2 are enough. This is not a sports bra, (one of which I bought and quickly discarded). On my first Camino, I had a normal type bra, which means that there are these metal clips that happen to be situated on your shoulders, just where your pack nicely rubs against. It's not comfortable! And talking of backpack straps and shoulders - I found an old pair of foam shoulder pads, which I put under my shirt to soften the rubbing of the straps on the shoulder bone. Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, don't these bras sound great?! So for walking the Camino, what we're looking for a bra that has a feature of a very comfortable shoulder stap with or without foam, or the addition of foam. I like this. the one I have has a built-in foam strap, but if you find a bra that you like, this additional foam gear sounds ideal!

Why don't manufacturers listen to us? Seriously, if I had the bucks, I'd do a swift survey, and then manufacture the SUPER-COMFORT CAMINO BRA!!

lynne

Hi Catalinda,
I find cotton undies get damp (sweaty) and then feel uncomfortable. Also they take longer to dry when washed. My option has been for 4 pairs of very lightweight, wicking pants. Mine are Rohan but other hiking folk make similar ones. (Rohan are about to change their 'Cool pants' so I don't know what their new ones will be like).
For a bra - again I have stopped wearing cotton for walking and have bought non-wired, nylon, non-padded lightweight bras from Marks and Spencer. I made sure to try them on for fit and comfort. Fast drying and fairly cheap. I'll maybe take 3.
This all includes the set I am wearing.
Happy hunting and buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Edit 9/2/10:- Rohan have just updated their on-line sales list (Souk) and have Rohan cool pants again. Limited sizes and only in the 'shorts' style.

I took two sports bras and three pairs of panties. The panties were inexpensive microfiber from Kohls. Very lightweight (1.1 oz each) and quick drying. There were days when I could not do laundry every day and it was nice to have a fresh pair of panties to put on. I also took a sarong which turned out to be a godsend. After a series of rainy days, came to an albergue with washer and dryer and I put EVERYTHING in the laundry except the sarong which I was wearing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took 2 pairs of seamless wicking underpants and one pair of my ordinary everyday cotton underpants, and two sports bras. Afterwards on reflection I think I would have been fine with my ordinary cotton everyday underwear, bra and pants. You´re not jogging on the Camino and if what you wear all day every day is comfortable then I see no reason to change the formula. For my next Camino I plan to use the "old faithfulls", anyway.
Sandra :arrow:

Sansthing said:
I took 2 pairs of seamless wicking underpants and one pair of my ordinary everyday cotton underpants, and two sports bras. Afterwards on reflection I think I would have been fine with my ordinary cotton everyday underwear, bra and pants. You´re not jogging on the Camino and if what you wear all day every day is comfortable then I see no reason to change the formula. For my next Camino I plan to use the "old faithfulls", anyway.
Sandra :arrow:
I think this really is the point, you need to be comfortable. So if you tend to sweat easily you probably need the wicking undies etc. If you are a cool type then you may be happy with cotton. Try walking at a reasonable speed up a long hill on a normal day and see if you get sweaty, then decide. As usual a personal thing and I need the wicking type.
Remember 'Horses sweat, men perspire but ladies only glow'
Tia Valeria

lynnejohn said:
There is wicking, fast dry underwear available at the specialty hiking stores.

I wore black ExOfficio underwear and found them to be quite comfortable, w/no chafing. They were also easy to wash and dried quickly. However, I wore them at bedtime as well, and that was somewhat of a mistake.

It's not that the ExOffico's were uncomfortable, but they were a bit too form-fitting, and I was kind of embarrassed when a Spanish woman (who was quite nice to me on the whole) glanced at my nether regions as I was heading into bed and loudly said a Spanish phrase that drives normally sane men to take things like Enzyte.

Everyone around us went suddenly quiet, and as I dug deeply into my sleeping bag I thought it would be a good idea to bring baggier shorts on my next Camino... :oops:

Cheers,

VT

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hanes underwear and I am sure Jockey and some of the other companies out there, make a microfiber underwear in various styles that is lightweight, easy to hand wash and dry and probably would be suitable for the camino. I found some at the Hanes Outlet mall near me for less than $5 for three pairs.

I looked into the ExOfficio line of undies, but decided against the cost.

Here's another vote for the ExOfficio undies. I have 3 pair, which wore like iron (stood up to the industrial laundry at Kandahar) while being very comfortable during 3 months of temperatures in the 30s and 40s C.

Summer: 100% cotton panties and any old bra

Fall/Winter: Quick dry poly panties and any old bra

There's no rule you need a sports bra, just be sure you wear a COMFORTABLE bra...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, have to say I just wore my ordinary everyday underwear - synthetic panties (I find cotton is itchy) and plain underwire bras. I took 3 undies and 2 bras, and all washed easily and dried quickly. And let's face it, underwear is pretty lightweight, so why bother spending lots of money on something hi-tech.

And again, I'll say, if you arrive and don't have what you need, you can buy it there. I have bought bras (they have bra SHOPS!) and panties and awesome thermal undershirts in Spain on my last Caminos and the prices were comparable to home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I brought 3 pairs of panties (two cotton, one something synthetic), a normal sportsbra that I walked in and a regular underwire bra that I changed into once I got to my daily destination. I didn't buy any special underclothes, I just brought my most comfortable ones that I knew would dry fast.

One thing to keep in mind is to get ones that you don't mind the world seeing, as some days if something didn't dry I'd hang it off the back of my pack. I recommend black, as it doesn't show stains and isn't as attention grabbing. But seriously, unless you are wearing a leopard print thong, no one will pay much attention!

I have not gone to the Camino yet, but I was happy after reading that Sloggy panties are a nice choice!
I've been walking a lot, and a few years ago I was quite an athlet, and always used the quick-dry Sloggies to exercise (there's the common ones, and they are comfortable, but become very wet when you sweat). Probably they'll be my choice for Camino too :D

About bras... maybe it's nice to test a few ones with the shirt and the backpack and choose the most confortable ^^

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back