• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unrest in Catalonia

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
What's a pilgrim to do? Stay alert to the situation where you are, and where you plan to be. Attend to information provided by your home government; register with your embassy if that's possible. Think about your air routing and your travel insurance. Sometimes insurance does not cover "acts of war", which may have quite a broad definition.

[Mods: Please edit to improve focus on personal safety if you like.]

Note from moderator: I spent some time considering whether I should simply delete this thread as a breach of Rule 2. I have heavily edited it despite my respect for the OP. The advice that remains is sound advice for any pilgrim likely to be in Catalonia in the near future.

All members should be minded of Rule 2.

Tincatinker

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I arrived in and departed from Spain from Barcelona , it saddens me to see such a beautiful city and people in unrest .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree with OP - double check what your travel insurance says about "municipal unrest". If intending to travel to Barcelona - maybe reconsider?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also arrived and departed Spain through Barcelona this month. The main problem for me was that streets were closed off due to demonstrations, so taxis refused to take me to Hostal Oliva in Passeig de Gracia, telling me I'd have to walk! I didn't know the way. Finally I received good advice: take the Metro. I was pretty exhausted and fed up after a long journey.

I have always found the most interesting and exhilarating places to be those undergoing social upheaval.
Over the last few decades we have seen cities, countries, sometimes even our World's future, in the process of being reshaped.
I find being amongst the emotions thus generated to be greatly stimulating.
I well remember heading for Berlin after the wall went down, driving across East Germany. What memories I have.
So whatever you do, don't entreat me to stay away or talk to me about travel insurance.
On the contrary, encourage me to boldly venture forth.
I, for one, do not wish to 'go gentle into that good night'.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have always found the most interesting and exhilarating places to be those undergoing social upheaval.
Over the last few decades we have seen cities, countries, sometimes even the World's future in the process of being reshaped.
I find being amongst the emotions thus generated to be greatly stimulating.
I well remember heading for Berlin after the wall went down, driving across East Germany. What memories I have.
So whatever you do, don't entreat me to stay away, and don't talk to me about travel insurance.
On the contrary, encourage me to boldly venture forth.
I, for one, do not wish to 'go gentle into that good night'.
Regards
Gerard
I have memories of crossing from West to East Berlin when the wall was still in place. I crossed two days in a row and having gone to attend a concert on the second evening I was stopped on the way back and questioned by E. German guards. Quite an interesting and memorable experience especially with my very limited German!

I have memories of crossing from West to East Berlin when the wall was still in place. I crossed two days in a row and having gone to attend a concert on the second evening I was stopped on the way back and questioned by E. German guards. Quite an interesting and memorable experience especially with my very limited German!

I crossed from East to West Berlin (Check Point Charlie) in a Spanish car with two friends coming from the U.S.S.R. and Poland .We were stopped more than 3 hours Finally we entered West Berlin at 1 a.m (we had to sleep inside the car).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I was leaving my home on 1 October I was aware a referendum was happening.

Despite almost wall to wall TV coverage and increasing display of the Spanish flag I have not noticed any unrest along the Frances.

On Friday, 27 October I saw the declaration by the Catalonian Assembly. I asked the bar keeper, pointing to the screen, if this was history. His reply - a shrug.

My reaction to the original post is this. Be worried if you want to be.

Please do not project your own worries onto others.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Delete it Tincatinker please .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My counsel would be to proceed with your plans, travel to, through, or from Barcelona. As you ought to be doing when in any large city, take basic personnel security precautions.

I recommend that if you spend any time there, avoid demonstrations or large crowds, at least for the near future. Always locate a way out of any place you are in, at, or which you simply turn a corner and run into. Be a tourist or pilgrim by all means, but stay away from public crowd events.

I have been caught in a number of large May Day demonstrations across Spain over my five Caminos. Some are more raucous than others. However, all convinced me that I ought not remain where I was. I was not comfortable. So I left the area with alacrity...

I simply melt away down a side street. When I can see a large group in parade, like a demonstration, loudspeakers, or truck-mounted "floats," I go the other way. If I am wearing a rucksack, I move quicker, as police will stop and question anyone with a rucksack near any mass crowd gathering, you want to be AWAY from this sort of situation.

These are standard security precautions for being in any large town or city at any time these days. I do this even in my own country.

All said, Catalonia is no less safe than it was. The people are no less friendly and helpful. They are merely excited and exuberant about their current situation.

As a pilgrim, you are passing through. Just be aware of your surroundings at all times and you will be fine.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
We were in Barcelona late September through Oct 2 (including the day of the election). We saw a lot of flags and banners on buildings and a few peaceful marches and demonstrations, but never any conflict between the two "sides." Things seem to have deteriorated a bit since then, at least in Catalonia, but I haven't seen any reports of violence so far. Personally, I don't think it will have much if any effect on other parts of Spain for now. Most of us don't know enough about the history and politics involved to have an opinion one way or the other, so my mantra is mind your own business and let the Spanish people work it out. As @t2andreo said, just be alert, and if you see any kind of demonstration, just turn around and detour around it.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Friends,
Emotions are running high in Spain, and this topic is and will be very sensitive. Remember that all postings in the forum are available with a Google search.
Even innocent comments or comparisons with past, similar experiences, could be read and construed as opinions, and quoted as support for one side.
If this thread remains open, I’d suggest to stick carefully to practical issues and advices.
Buen (and safe) transit to Camino!
Felipe

Last edited:
I'd like to reinforce what @Felipe has said, and @Tincatinker 's comment at the end of the first post. We are leaving this thread up for practical assistance to transiting pilgrims - and for that only. No commentary that could be construed as political or sympathetic or passing judgment. Not even a hint.

Violations will result in points.

post deleted - sorry guys

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Keep on track please. It is hard for the moderators to keep on top of the posts and I for one do not need this one to become multi stranded.

Levity - very welcome in a new, unassociated, thread.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.