• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unsafe bunk beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeK

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2017
I am staying in an auberge in Espinal and notice that pilgrims are sleeping on the top level of bunk beds with an exposed side without guard rail. This practice is extremely dangerous and such a set up is illegal in most developed countries. Why is it allowed on the Camino? Must somebody suffer significant head injuries or even die before these auberges adhere to international standards. In my view they are unsafe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am staying in an auberge in Espinal and notice that pilgrims are sleeping on the top level of bunk beds with an exposed side without guard rail. This practice is extremely dangerous and such a set up is illegal in most developed countries. Why is it allowed on the Camino? Must somebody suffer significant head injuries or even die before these auberges adhere to international standards. In my view they are unsafe.
Just communicate your concern to the host & the folks in the room. More times than not a spry youngster can jump up flat footed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Isn't "unsafe bunk beds" an oxymoron? ;)

Most do have rails, fortunately. When I walked with my four year old grandson, he loved the top bunk, but they all had rails.

I stayed in an albergue in Espinal that had bunks in the middle of the room - not against a wall, so the top bunk only had a rail on one side. That didn't bother me, as I've never fallen out of bed, but the bunk beds were very wobbly, and that made me uncomfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed in an albergue in Espinal that had bunks in the middle of the room - not against a wall, so the top bunk only had a rail on one side. That didn't bother me, as I've never fallen out of bed, but the bunk beds were very wobbly, and that made me uncomfortable.

As I recall, in either 2014 or 2015, we had a member of this forum who was sleeping on a bottom bunk when the top bunk collapsed onto it. Anyone recall this?

I believe I could name the name, but just want to mention that bunk beds are not always safe. If they need to be tightened, go borrow a tool and do it. It is safer than risking a collapse.

On my Camino Primitivo in 2016 after crossing the hospitalares high route, my adult son and I stayed at the municipal albergue in Berducedo. We literally got the last two bunks, both on top. Unfortunately all other lodging in town was full. I nick-named this place "the dump" as it was the worst I'd ever been in. Rather dirty, cold showers and there were too many bunks crammed in to a very small space with barely any room on the floor to place our packs without stumbling over them. The woman who checked us in had a briefcase and was only there to receive our money, showing us no kindness or smiles. We saw her a short time later imbibing at the local bar...but I digress from topic. Anyway, my son's bunk had a rope tied from one of his bed posts to a window latch nearby. He wondered what that was all about so he untied it. His bunk started wobbling precariously back and forth sideways, so he quickly reattached the rope back to the bedpost to secure it once again before it toppled over. We enjoyed a good laugh! :p

Last edited:
Yes, not unheard of, especialy in some old muni or parish albergues. I make a bundle with my jacket and put it as a kind of improvised barrier.
I suppose the original guard rails got broken and were never replaced.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2015, the height of the top bunks in a modern municipal, all without guard rails, was pretty scary. I'm not worried about falling out of bed but at that albergue I definitely worried about forgetting I was on a top bunk in the middle of the night and stepping out of bed to go to the loo.
Next time in this city I stayed at another albergue as not liking the 50% odds of once again being allocated a top bunk.
Edited to remove name of city.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last month I stayed in the albergue in Miernes (salvador). I slept in a lower bunk and the wooden "planks"under my matress broke, the same thing had happened with
the bed next to me. The hospitalero told me to take an upper bed. In this case I did mind to take an upper bed and so did the Italian who would have the bed under me.
The hospitalero then decided to repair the beds, when he had replaced all the planks I uttered my doubts. He then said: "I am not finished yet" and took the iron guard rail
from the upper bed and put it under the matress for further reinforcement. ( I hope the hospitalero there is recovered, a week or so later he had to be taken to the hospital
and the albergue was temporarily closed)

In Santa Domingo there was a gentleman who fell out of a top bunk twice, hitting his head on a chair the 2nd time. Luckily, I had a bed up against a wall.

Bunks were three high at Villadangos del Paramo and Viana! Both were scheduled for renovation, so may have eliminated the stratospheric bunk...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bunks were three high at Villadangos del Paramo and Viana! Both were scheduled for renovation, so may have eliminated the stratospheric bunk...

Luckily the old 3 tier troop ship system has been replaced at the municipal Viana albergue Andres Munoz with the standard two tier bunk system. All is more solid and sturdy making it is a simple convenient place to stay. Here is their Gronze.com site
https://www.gronze.com/navarra/viana/albergue-peregrinos-andres-munoz

Viana has many very good restaurants; one favorite and nearby the municipal albergue is the restaurant in the Palacio de Pujados hotel where local vintners seem to enjoy eating well. Recently the menu del dia was roughly 15 euros including 3 courses, a bottle of local Rioja wine and coffee; all were superb! Here is their TripAdvisor citation. Enjoy!

Most people won't fall out of bed, however high off the ground it is. The human brain is much more aware of its surroundings when we're asleep than you might think. If it wasn't, we'd all wake up with pressure sores.

The design of many mattresses also helps prevent it. Run your hand across one and you'll find it's effectively stiffer as you get close to the edge.

Of course, our brains become a little more sluggish once we've had a bottle of vino tinto or two... though I hasten to add, I'm sure there are other reasons why it's happened to folk on here!!

On my Camino a gentleman was injured as he tried to climb into the upper bunk and the bunkbed fell over onto him. Fortunately the injuries were a severely bruised lower leg and not a fracture!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my Camino a gentleman was injured as he tried to climb into the upper bunk and the bunkbed fell over onto him.

Hi,

Yes, I'm more concerned by bunkbeds about to overturn when being climbed. Not infrequent.

When rails are missing, what about a makeshift rail with some lengths of your own clothline ? (I always bring some 10 m of (sturdy) 3 mm mountain cord, handy in many a case). Another "weighs nothing" item ;)

Top bunks are a concern of mine. On occasion I have very active dreams where I am acting out the dream in real life. Usually it is not a big deal, but on a couple of occasions I have ended up on the floor. In Lisbon last year, on the night before heading to Porto for the coastal route, I had a dream that I was being chased by the bad guys and dove headfirst down some type of hole to get away. In real life I dove head first off the bed and did a complete face plant, landing on my nose. Fortunately I was unhurt other than a cut nose and a lot of blood. The result could have been very different if I had been on a top bunk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Luckily the old 3 tier troop ship system has been replaced at the municipal Viana albergue Andres Munoz with the standard two tier bunk system. All is more solid and sturdy making it is a simple convenient place to stay. Here is their Gronze.com site
https://www.gronze.com/navarra/viana/albergue-peregrinos-andres-munoz

Viana has many very good restaurants; one favorite and nearby the municipal albergue is the restaurant in the Palacio de Pujados hotel where local vintners seem to enjoy eating well. Recently the menu del dia was roughly 15 euros including 3 courses, a bottle of local Rioja wine and coffee; all were superb! Here is their TripAdvisor citation. Enjoy!

A favourite memory from my first camino was staying in a triple tier bunk room at the Albergue Andres Munoz in Viana. I had a middle bunk in the stack. When it came time for everyone to get in, the people in the top bunks started climbing with various exclamations in different languages as they tried to navigate up. Someone in the room started to giggle and then someone else and soon the room of 12 pilgrims were all roaring with laughter. Finally everyone was settled and in the morning the laughter started again as people climbed down. Throughout the rest of that camino, when any one of us from that room encountered each other, it was with great laughs as we remembered that night.

Good conversation, thank you Mister Luke. Buena suerte with your bottom, middle, or top bunk! Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I stayed in the Paroquaia de Santiago Real in Logroño which is listed as one of the better alberques, I had a very narrow top bunk with no rails and a concrete floor to land on. The bunk had obviously seen better days. The showers had paint flaking off the walls. There was no food provided. It was a donativo. The church service that went free of charge with the bunk made up for all the other shortcomings (and I am not the world's most religious person). I give you this information so you can make your own choice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's an international standard for bunk beds? What WILL they think of next?

I have a loft bed at home with no rails (actually, an old bunk bed frame with the bottom bunk removed so I can store things under it). I actually prefer to be on the top bunk and feel more secure there. I am nervous about sleeping under a bunk and having the upper crash down on me so I'll probably be one of those rare souls seeking out a top bunk on the Camino. I'm also fairly young and it seems more polite. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If people falling out of bunks was an issue, I'm betting we'd hear about it.

I slept in plenty of bunk beds without a side guard rail on the Camino - I never thought anything of it. I was probably 5 years old the last time I fell out of bed.

I met an English gentleman on the Camino frances last year who had fallen out of a bunk bed and fractured two vertebrae two years before. He was determined to finish his Camino and was back as soon as his doctors gave the OK.... but not sleeping on top bunks

In Santa Domingo there was a gentleman who fell out of a top bunk twice, hitting his head on a chair the 2nd time. Luckily, I had a bed up against a wall.
Oh I was there in the municipal in that dormitory on that night! :eek: Slept throught the lot. I had a bottom bunk and if I'd woken up I would have offered to swap beds the first time the poor fellow fell out.

On my Camino Primitivo in 2016 after crossing the hospitalares high route, my adult son and I stayed at the municipal albergue in Berducedo. We literally got the last two bunks, both on top. Unfortunately all other lodging in town was full. I nick-named this place "the dump" as it was the worst I'd ever been in. Rather dirty, cold showers and there were too many bunks crammed in to a very small space with barely any room on the floor to place our packs without stumbling over them. The woman who checked us in had a briefcase and was only there to receive our money, showing us no kindness or smiles. We saw her a short time later imbibing at the local bar...but I digress from topic. Anyway, my son's bunk had a rope tied from one of his bed posts to a window latch nearby. He wondered what that was all about so he untied it. His bunk started wobbling precariously back and forth sideways, so he quickly reattached the rope back to the bedpost to secure it once again before it toppled over. We enjoyed a good laugh! :p
Exactly my memory of Berducedo!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Currently on the VDLP walking. Two days ago a man fell from top bunk with no guard rails on either side and no ladder up. He went to hospital and was concussed, Hugh swelling and cut above eye, bruised swollen knee and bruised up, he was a younger pilgrim, an older one I dread to think. Why are albergues still with bunk beds with no safety rails and no ladders! It costs little to replace and surely people want people to be safe?

A pilgrim is thankful.
A tourist makes demands.
If you don't feel safe sleeping in the bed provided, let the management know.
Then find another place to sleep.
Thank you.
The Camino is a pilgrimage full of challenges.
It is not a vacation by design nor is it meant to be safe.
People walk at their own risk.
If people don’t like the beds they have a choice and can book private rooms.

Thank you.
The Camino is a pilgrimage full of challenges.
It is not a vacation by design nor is it meant to be safe.
People walk at their own risk.
If people don’t like the beds they have a choice and can book private rooms.
Many people have a very limited budget and should be allowed to walk Caminos. The camino Challenges are wide and include many unsafe and risks when walking but today do not need to include unnecessary very painful injury or death from falling out a top bunk because an albergue saves a few euros not putting a safety rail up on top bunks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oddly enough I was sorting through some Camino photo albums over the weekend.
Viana, September 2012

1651000025155.png

At least the top two tiers have some kind of rail.

Many people have a very limited budget and should be allowed to walk Caminos. The camino Challenges are wide and include many unsafe and risks when walking but today do not need to include unnecessary very painful injury or death from falling out a top bunk because an albergue saves a few euros not putting a safety rail up on top bunks!
As I said, a pilgrim has a choice to book a private room for very little money.

Yes, the Camino should be totally safe, and perfectly clean, and not cost more than a cup of coffee. Two out of three of those are available at your nearest Disneyland.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gently pilgrims gently. There are many risks associated with the caminos. Some more avoidable than others.
Those who think that this is an issue of money might like to consider where that money is to come from. Those who think the complaints come from tourists might like to consider the nature and purpose of Camino.

If you consider the situation to be unsafe, manage it. “They”, it’s not their responsibility. Your safety is your responsibility.

Oddly enough I was sorting through some Camino photo albums over the weekend.
Viana, September 2012

View attachment 123704

At least the top two tiers have some kind of rail.
Yes and a ladder. The one the man fell from had no rails or ladder at all. I do not expect perfection and sleep anywhere but do not expect to fall to land up in hospital or experience another pilgrim falling in the night and with such awful injury’s when so unnecessary .

Having slept in bunk beds too many times through the years....sharing a room with my brother growing up, being in the military and also working in camps overseas and of course on the Camino, I can only think of a couple of times I heard of somebody falling out of a top one. Not saying it doesn't happen but I would guess as a whole they're pretty safe. Mind you, if one was really concerned though one could carry a length of rope with them and on the occasions they were in a top bunk the rope could be fashioned running between the rails at the head and feet and made into a field expedient railing. Slide knot and run in a horizontal X pattern from one end to the other and then tied off tight. Would take all of five minutes to fashion and remove. If it would give one a peace of mind and a better sleep, well worth doing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, the Camino should be totally safe, and perfectly clean, and not cost more than a cup of coffee. Two out of three of those are available at your nearest Disneyland.
That’s an extreme reply and unreasonable. Just asking that a pilgrim doesn’t fall from a totally unnecessary unsafe top bunk. If you had witnessed a fellow pilgrim bashing hard onto the floor with blood cuts swelling bruising and throwing up and getting them to hospital would you be so uncaring.

The answer is simple.
It is YOUR responsibility to keep yourself safe.
If you want beds with rails, then find a place with railed beds or pay for a private room.

Next, people will want sandwiches and tea handed out every 5 miles so people don’t get hungry. And let’s have a doctor every few miles to fix blisters for people who wore the wrong shoes. Oh, and scales to weigh backpacks. And escalators for the steep places. And don’t forget bright orange vests so they don’t get hit by bicycles. Oh, and dog sticks and bear spray and lifts and heck, forget it. Just close the Camino to keep everyone safe.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.