• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unusual places to collect sellos/stamps

roving_rufus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
After a discussion on the Camino Portuguese went slightly off piste, but it was an interesting side trail...
Beyond albergues and accomodation, where else have you managed to get a sello/stamp/tampon for your credential?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
City halls, museums, a self-serve box outside of an auto repair shop, churches, wineries, and more. Sure, some are just plain business stamps (company name, address), but they all document the movement through the countryside

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A cheesemakers dairy at Tresviso. A Guardia Civil post on the Vasco. Railway stations on the Norte & the Ingles. Toyota showroom on the way into Burgos ( my amiga needed an opportunity)…

The opportunities are endless

Or a farmacia, local library and a centro de mayores.

Last edited:
Guardia Civil in Portomarin outside the church.
A cool wax stamp from some guys who had set up a table, with fruit and drinks close to Santiago I think?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A tampon for my credential? Perhaps a pharmacy?
That was new to me, too, and I had the same thought. Although I am familiar with carimbo in Portuguese.

Some guy in a van outside before San Anton on the Frances. Various other folks set up with little stands. A post office (makes sense for a stamp). I've put my own stamp into other people's credencials.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Guardia Civil from their patrol vehicle.
Dia supermercado.
The blacksmith near the Irache wine fountain on the Frances.
The outdoor clothing and equipment shoppe in Sarria.
After Leon in the little town of San Miguel there's an older gentleman who has a table set up next to the path with candy, water etc and he has a self service sello as well as business cards. Using his address from the business card I've sent him postcards from Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After Leon in the little town of San Miguel there's an older gentleman who has a table set up next to the path with candy, water etc and he has a self service sello as well as business cards. Using his address from the business card I've sent him postcards from Santiago.
Is he still there, I wonder? I remember him with fondness from my first camino in 2015. He stopped us to give us biscuits, I was quite humbled by him..

Is he still there, I wonder? I remember him with fondness from my first camino in 2015. He stopped us to give us biscuits, I was quite humbled by him..
His table was still there with biscuits, candy and water when I walked by this past September. He wasn't outside, though. I stamped my credentials with his sello and grabbed one of his business cards again.

Last edited:
Somewhere on the Norte there was a cute outdoor little "nook" set up between two towns with a stamp to give yourself a sello for no particlar reason; it was fun, but I can't remember the location.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mine came mostly from albergues/pensions/hotels, but I also got some from bars and Cathedrals and a few that were just along the trail. The most unusual place was a vending machine on the outside of some sort of factory style business where they had a little covered area, vending machine, table and a couple seats, and a Camino Stamp.

Haha... Tampon... French for Rubber Stamp. But yes - I am going to feel very awkward on the VF asking people for Tampons.
I generally make sure I have my credential open and point to another stamp while asking. But after the first time or two it does become easier...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After I check into an albergue and get settled my credentials remain deep in my pack in an interior compartment and I don't have them as I'm out and about a town or wherever for dinner or roaming around. I don't want to possibly lose them or damage them, but in doing so I've missed out on collecting some really cool sellos from unique places as I'm not going to go back to the albergue, get the credentials and go back to get the sello.
I've thought about getting a set of credentials just for that and leaving the main one in the pack. The second set taking the punishment or possible loss. lol

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have a few from bakeries (good source in France!), libraries, museums, town halls, post office, ferry, ... but never thought of a pharmacy!

20F95ACF-9544-4236-A4E6-B10D3E32B258.pngPOST OFFICES, but with a twist. Buy a postage stamp. Spain has several CAMINO THEMED ones. Paste it in your credential and get it postmarked with with city/town name and date. I would have gotten many more if small towm POs didn’t have such limited hours, sometimes just a couple of hours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After a discussion on the Camino Portuguese went slightly off piste, but it was an interesting side trail...
Beyond albergues and accomodation, where else have you
Beyond albergues and accomodation, where else have you managed to get a sello/stamp/tampon for your credential?
Also, the Guardia Civil has a generic stamp, which seems to be the one they foist upon you (upper right). But if you know Spanish, you can explain to them that you would like their “office specific” stamp (lower left). But, like the Post Office, the GCs in towns often have limited public hours and you will encounter the dreaded CERRAAAAAADO sign.

Attachments

• 5A37A028-DAD2-433E-BF5E-80B297C3F5C2.jpeg
    5A37A028-DAD2-433E-BF5E-80B297C3F5C2.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 83
Most unusual stamp on my Camino was on the canal boat to Fromista. Sitting by the canal, eating my picnic lunch, I was invited to sail the last few km of the day. After paying the ferryman, he stamped my credencial.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We received a stamp from some nuns who were out in front of their convent. We also got a wax stamp from a gent along the way who was making them and incorporating small flowers (both evoke good memories). Both of these were within a few hundred yards of one another.

When I last walked the CF, I collected a stamp at the panaderia leaving Irache, and walked around to the office at Irache to collect a stamp there. It makes a lovely pair reflecting a significant moment in the Mass service.
O

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 2017 somewhere between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Burgos, a young lad had a lemonade stand just outside the entrance to his home and he had a cello. Great 🍋 lemonade too!
Awesome! Would look great on a T-shirt!
I can see a whole merchandise line with this branding!

View attachment 138394POST OFFICES, but with a twist. Buy a postage stamp. Spain has several CAMINO THEMED ones. Paste it in your credential and get it postmarked with with city/town name and date. I would have gotten many more if small towm POs didn’t have such limited hours, sometimes just a couple of hours.
I think this is a great idea! Would never of thought of getting an actual postal stamp, along with a sello! Also considering the inked stamps tend to fade after a while, the Camino stamps would still look great!
View attachment 138394POST OFFICES, but with a twist. Buy a postage stamp. Spain has several CAMINO THEMED ones. Paste it in your credential and get it postmarked with with city/town name and date. I would have gotten many more if small towm POs didn’t have such limited hours, sometimes just a couple of hours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
British Embassy in Madrid. Security was hard work, as was explaining why the official stamp should be applied to an unofficial document. Thankfully the local Spanish staff came to the rescue.
For difficulty level, you definitely win!!
I would have loved to have heard that conversation!! Was the stamp worth it?

After I check into an albergue and get settled my credentials remain deep in my pack in an interior compartment and I don't have them as I'm out and about a town or wherever for dinner or roaming around. I don't want to possibly lose them or damage them, but in doing so I've missed out on collecting some really cool sellos from unique places as I'm not going to go back to the albergue, get the credentials and go back to get the sello.
I've thought about getting a set of credentials just for that and leaving the main one in the pack. The second set taking the punishment or possible loss. lol
I use one of the plastic envelopes that Ivar sells! Keeps your credential nice and safe! I keep it in my day bag or in my zipped cargo pocket! I tend to get a lot of my sellos when am out exploring so you’re right about missing out on some unique stamps!

Guardia Civil in Portomarin outside the church.
A cool wax stamp from some guys who had set up a table, with fruit and drinks close to Santiago I think?
It may have been the same guys I saw in September, they were selling more souvenir stuff rather than food and drink! There was a steady queue of pilgrims waiting to get their credential stamped with the wax sello!
I found the credential below with a wax sello in Santiago, it’s the back of an envelope, that’s been used as an unofficial credential!

Attachments

• 7B2FEBB7-BA72-4BD2-AFEB-8CDFE23850A9.jpeg
    7B2FEBB7-BA72-4BD2-AFEB-8CDFE23850A9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A cheesemakers dairy at Tresviso. A Guardia Civil post on the Vasco. Railway stations on the Norte & the Ingles. Toyota showroom on the way into Burgos ( my amiga needed an opportunity)…

The opportunities are endless
Plan-d'Aups-Sainte-Baume, the sanctuary of Sainte-Baume is my most prized, also the Notre Dame Cathedral.

In 2017 somewhere between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Burgos, a young lad had a lemonade stand just outside the entrance to his home and he had a cello. Great 🍋 lemonade too!
I stopped at the same lemonade stand! August 2017 between Pamplona and Logroño. On the right as I was climbing on pavement. Seemed like a fancy neighborhood. I don’t remember the cello though. 😉

I liked the guy in medieval chain mail with the falcon, which would sit on your arm. We got a stamp from him.

Attachments

• IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 31
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
According to your picture of the sello, "somewhere" was Obanos. 😉

For difficulty level, you definitely win!!
I would have loved to have heard that conversation!! Was the stamp worth it?
Yes, it was - but it took about an hour to get. I am English and trying to explain in English to the English staff was getting me nowhere. I resorted to Spanish with the local Spanish staff, and it worked.

They really don’t like people turning up without an appointment.

Yes, it was - but it took about an hour to get. I am English and trying to explain in English to the English staff was getting me nowhere. I resorted to Spanish with the local Spanish staff, and it worked.

They really don’t like people turning up without an appointment.
I have had dealings with the UK embassy in more than one country. I am not entirely sure they like people.
I stopped at the same lemonade stand! August 2017 between Pamplona and Logroño. On the right as I was climbing on pavement. Seemed like a fancy neighborhood. I don’t remember the cello though. 😉
I think we stopped there too. Was it in Obanos? But that was 2018. They said they were saving up to go to Disneyland. Obviously it takes a lot of lemonade to get to Disneyland. It was pretty good lemonade too.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My special stamp I got from an English painter who lived in a recovered house by the ancient path between Triacastela and Sarria, near San Xil. The stamp was literally a tiny original painting directly on the Camino's passport. This was in 2019. This year I tried to visit him again (and get another beautiful stamp) but the house was closed, so I don't know if permanently or temporarily.

I took a photo of him a few years ago, 2018, when I stopped with some other pilgrims there.
IMG_20181021_120708015_HDR.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.