A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Unwanted Alerts in watched category

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Hello I don't know where to post this so will put it here, hope that is OK.

Love this forum and use it regularly. I also post many photographs from time to time. I am also reasonably computer literate. The last few months I have a problem that appeared and cant figure out how to put it right, I have checked all the setting on my account(many times). I keep getting alerts when other people post photographs, telling me someone has posted a photo to the watched category. I do not want this. I do not think I have any watched categories.

Please help.

Dermot

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Someone else can probably give a better answer, but I'll tell you what I do. It seems that if you post to a thread, it becomes one of your "Watched" threads. On my view, if I scroll to the top of the thread, just above the first post on the right side, you can see the words "Watch Thread" or "Unwatch Thread." That is where you can toggle to turn off (or on) the function.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Try This: Click on "Alerts" top right to the right of inbox. When this page loads check menu on left hand side of screen, under settings click on "preferences" and tick/untick your preferences. Go to "alert preferences" and do the same.
If that doesn't work then its every man for himself. :)

Camino(s) past & future
thanks for the pointers Wayfarer. I've done as instructed, so we'll see if it resolves the issue. I had resigned myself to "that's how this site works", but am glad I am able to change the process. getting 20 emails a day notifying me that someone commented on a thread that I commented on was not ideal.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Thank you all very much for your replies, but I am still some what confused. I seem to have done everything I now think there might be a little blip in the programme. At least I now know I am not alone and raising the issue might be useful.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
No its not working, any time someone uploads a photograph I get an alert, it's driving me crazy. I don't have a watched category.

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
I am not sure that the photos section works in exactly the same way as the other sections of the forum here, but there are two ways of 'watching' a thread. The first is to contribute to it, when you watching status is automatically set, and the other is to set the status yourself using the 'Watch Thread' link that currently appears at the top right of the page. There is a similar 'Watch Media' link to the top right of images that can be set and unset. The media/photo section does not appear to have a similar function to 'Manage Watched Threads' where one can go through and remove things from one's watch list.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Have you actually contacted @ivar with this problem? He might be the most likely person to shed light on your mystery! SY

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - Spring (2014)
Frances- Spring (2015)
Hello I don't know where to post this so will put it here, hope that is OK.

Love this forum and use it regularly. I also post many photographs from time to time. I am also reasonably computer literate. The last few months I have a problem that appeared and cant figure out how to put it right, I have checked all the setting on my account(many times). I keep getting alerts when other people post photographs, telling me someone has posted a photo to the watched category. I do not want this. I do not think I have any watched categories.

Please help.

Dermot
Ok - go to the Photos section. Then go to the Camino Frances photos. You are on watched thread because you posted a recent photo. When you go now to Camino Frances photos, you will most likely see "unwatch" over the most right hand photo top row. Push that to unwatch. If you ever WANT to watch a thread, same thing. Push "watch thread" in that circumstance. I have added to a thread, didn't care to follow it, so I just push "unwatch" - then I get nothing re that thread. Hope this helps.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you dougfitz, I have done all the logical stuff but still no dice. SY I think I will contact Ivan, but I have just seen an amazing thing in your post your blog link, Prauge to Santiago sound amazing, must have a look at your blog in the next few days. It was only yesterday when I was editing my work from a few years ago that I found man, many pictures of Prague. Must have been some walk
Dermot

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Back again, Saramango I think you have just cracked it. Thank you.

I think it would be practical if when you posted a photograph that it did not automatically go to the watched category, I think that is the essence of problem.

Dermot

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
Back again, Saramango I think you have just cracked it. Thank you.

I think it would be practical if when you posted a photograph that it did not automatically go to the watched category, I think that is the essence of problem.

Dermot
I know that I like the way that it works the other way around on forum threads. If you make a contribution, it is useful to be informed when others also respond on the same topic.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
I know that I like the way that it works the other way around on forum threads. If you make a contribution, it is useful to be informed when others also respond on the same topic.
Hello Dougfitz in a normal thread this is a good function, but the point I am making is I really don't think it is relevant to photographs. When you post a photograph you don't necessarily want to see every photograph that in the future will be in that section.

Dermot

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Ok - go to the Photos section. Then go to the Camino Frances photos. You are on watched thread because you posted a recent photo. When you go now to Camino Frances photos, you will most likely see "unwatch" over the most right hand photo top row. Push that to unwatch. If you ever WANT to watch a thread, same thing. Push "watch thread" in that circumstance. I have added to a thread, didn't care to follow it, so I just push "unwatch" - then I get nothing re that thread. Hope this helps.
It seems like if you upload a photo to a category (for example "Camino Frances"), it will automatically "Watch this category" for you, you can turn this off by clicking "Unwatch" as you mention.

I had a look in my settings and I can not find a way to disable this on my end... will have another look to see what I can do.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you Ivar, now I know a way to turn it off. I now know it is not something that I have set accidentally. The forum and the way the website functions is excellent.

Dermot

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Ivar. In preferances automatically watch categories that you add media too, I never had this one ticked. The second one display unviewed media above nav tab I had this one ticked, should I now untick it.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you, I never knew what that red number meant.

Regards Dermot

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
I get an alert every time someone posts an image to the category "Camino Frances." I'd like to quit receiving these alerts, but can't find anything on the forums relating to "Watched Categories" or how to discontinue these alerts. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks...

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino Portugues, 2017
I believe under Alert Preferences in your profile page you can say that you don't want alerts.
I don't see anything on my profile page about "Watched Categories." I don't want to discontinue all alerts, just those dealing with that specific category.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
I get an alert every time someone posts an image to the category "Camino Frances." I'd like to quit receiving these alerts, but can't find anything on the forums relating to "Watched Categories" or how to discontinue these alerts. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks...
Hi , try what MichaelSG said. Also to my opinion that is the right thing to do. Hope it words , Peter.

MichaelSG

Retired member
Camino(s) past & future
Not enough
I'm sorry, I just re-read your post. You are getting notifications when people add photos in the media section rather than posts in the forum, right? If so, go to the Camino Frances Photo page (where all the pictures are) and near the upper right hand corner of the PC version of the forum, there is a "Watch Category" / "Unwatch Category" link. Click Unwatch Category. It should be in a similar place as the "Unwatch Thread" near the upper right hand corner of this page.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino Portugues, 2017
Thanks...I never noticed the Watch Category/Unwatch Category button before. I love this forum, but some of the nitty-gritty navigation options are not very obvious. That's not a criticism, Ivar -- I belong to several other special interest forums, and I haven't seen any version of any forum software that is.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%