• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unwanted Equipment on Camino

cardifflad52

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
Yes it is me again with a question before I head out later to make my way to the airport then onto SJPDP .
After finishing the camino is there a place where I can hand in my 45l backpack and hiking sticks .it is just that I would like to leave them behind and travel light back to the UK with just a day bag and my clothes ..many thanks 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And if all else fails, there are beggars on the street who would probably appreciate a new backpack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My first choice would be a beggar - plenty there. If they don't need them they can sell them (leave a 20 Euro note in the pack :)).
Just be sure that you don't give it to one of the scam types who are out there soliciting money for their fake medical conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If (when) you do your next Camino will you buy a new backpack?
After finishing the camino is there a place where I can hand in my 45l backpack and hiking sticks .
Also my first thought too. I see that you have walked just the Ingles. Is that correct? If so I would not be so quick to dump your backpack. The Ingles is a 5 or 6 day camino. I think that many people myself included are just barely warming up 5 or 6 days into a camino. I know people have wonderful experiences walking shorter distances. I do not question that. I can only say for myself and others I have personally spoken to that the most profound emotional, physical and spiritual changes or experiences only happen in much longer caminos. I need a long camino. Of course it is not a blanket statement for all. But you may find much different and maybe deeper experiences may happen to you walking 800k as opposed to walking 115K. After a longer camino you may not want to get rid of your backpack so quickly. The Camino may be screaming in your ear to return. I hope so and buen camino

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband found people were donating at Pilgrim House if you are going all the way to Santiago. If not, every albergue where I have worked has a "donation" box where people leave things that others might use.
Thank you for that it come in handy when I finish

Also my first thought too. I see that you have walked just the Ingles. Is that correct? If so I would not be so quick to dump your backpack. The Ingles is a 5 or 6 day camino. I think that many people myself included are just barely warming up 5 or 6 days into a camino. I know people have wonderful experiences walking shorter distances. I do not question that. I can only say for myself and others I have personally spoken to that the most profound emotional, physical and spiritual changes or experiences only happen in much longer caminos. I need a long camino. Of course it is not a blanket statement for all. But you may find much different and maybe deeper experiences may happen to you walking 800k as opposed to walking 115K. After a longer camino you may not want to get rid of your backpack so quickly. The Camino may be screaming in your ear to return. I hope so and buen camino
I understand what your saying , I have another backpack at home and some sticks too , but after 35 days or so I just wanted to go back home with less than what I came with ..when I did the Inglis over 6 days I found the other pilgrims to be students when I was old enough to be there grandfather and they kept to their own little groups ..but you get that in all walks of life ..as for the 800km which I am starting tomorrow I am just going to enjoy each moment and do some mediation en route and see where the road leads me .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.