• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unwise pilgrim seeks advice from wiser ones!

anotherpilgrim

Hello there, everyone!

I am going to walk the camino in September-October this year (2014) and I know many of my questions have probably been asked before and I apologize for that.

I am a 19-year old female who have never walked long distance before. I am not in any special physical shape, meaning I am not very sporty. I have no time limit to my journey, so I don't have to plan how many days I am going to use nor am I going to buy any ticket home beforehand.

My weight is 50 kg so I can't pack very much. So my questions are as follows:

What kind of boots would be best for this time of year and for an untrained walker like me? I have already bought these http://www.spejdersport.dk/mammut-nova-vandrestoevle-lady.aspx but I am thinking that maybe they are overkill.

Where would you recommend that I start? Like I said, I have no time limit so I don't have to consider that. Of course the weather changes if I use too much time. I was thinking about starting in Pamplona but then I thought I could also just start in St. Jean Pied de Port but I've heard the route from there to Pamplona is a tough one to begin with and I don't want to destroy my body!

Can you walk the camino without having prepared very much and without alot of training?

I am also worried about the bed bugs issue! I am going to buy a bed bug sheet, but is that enough? What precautions should one take?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Again, I am sorry for repeating any questions. Any answer is much appreciated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi! It's great to have the luxury of as much time as you want, so make the most of it! Either Sjpp or Pamplona are great starting points. There's no need to harm yourself starting from St Jean if you are realistic about your ability and start slowly. As you're young and have no specific health issues you'll be fine.
At that time of year the weather could do anything, so just be prepared for adverse or at least varied conditions. There should still be loads of other pilgrims around for company and support, though.
For your boots, go to a good retailer, tell them what you're doing and see what they suggest. Try some on, but don't spend a fortune unless they're noticeably better in some important way.
Generally browse the forum and pick up ideas, but try not to overthink it. The simplicity and freedom of not having too many plans is what many of us love about it.
If you don't speak any Spanish try to learn a few basic greetings and expressions before you go. It does make a difference.
Enjoy your preparations and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hello there, everyone!

I am going to walk the camino in September-October this year (2014) and I know many of my questions have probably been asked before and I apologize for that.

I am a 19-year old female who have never walked long distance before. I am not in any special physical shape, meaning I am not very sporty. I have no time limit to my journey, so I don't have to plan how many days I am going to use nor am I going to buy any ticket home beforehand.

I realize time is not a factor but 6 weeks should be more than enough time to walk. This would allow you to purchase round trip ticket and maybe save some money.

My weight is 50 kg so I can't pack very much. So my questions are as follows:

There are some very good packing list recommendations in the equipment section. Give it a look and remember the time of year you are walking. Ponch or rain gear is a must.

What kind of boots would be best for this time of year and for an untrained walker like me? I have already bought these http://www.spejdersport.dk/mammut-nova-vandrestoevle-lady.aspx but I am thinking that maybe they are overkill.

There is no such thing as overkill. Buy a pair of shoes or boots that fit you and are comfortable. Make sure you break them in some before you leave. Your feet will have a big impact on the enjoyment of your Camino. Listen to them and take care of them.

Where would you recommend that I start? Like I said, I have no time limit so I don't have to consider that. Of course the weather changes if I use too much time. I was thinking about starting in Pamplona but then I thought I could also just start in St. Jean Pied de Port but I've heard the route from there to Pamplona is a tough one to begin with and I don't want to destroy my body!

The first day is tough from SJPdP but if Orisson is still open, I recommend you make a reservation and spend the first night there. Otherwise Pamplona is a good starting place.

Can you walk the camino without having prepared very much and without alot of training?

A lot of training is not necessary. That said, you should take a few walk prior to departure. First, you need to breakin your boots/shoes. Second, get your feet prepared for a month of walking everyday.

I am also worried about the bed bugs issue! I am going to buy a bed bug sheet, but is that enough? What precautions should one take?

Spray sleeping bag and backpack with permethian.

Is there anything else I should consider?

Again, I am sorry for repeating any questions. Any answer is much appreciated!

My comments embedded in your text.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Regarding boots, good question. Your feet are the most important consideration to address. The boots look a little heavy, overkill as you say. I've seen people in misery and some end their camino early because of feet gone bad with blisters. The blistering is caused by a combination of moisture and friction. There are many threads on this forum that offer good advice on avoiding blisters and how to deal with them if acquired, please do some research.
My recommendation:
- go for a shoe a little lighter and low cut, unless you have weak ankles. Some people wear sneakers (running type shoe), light and breathable
- ensure your shoes are a size larger than what you normally wear as after a few days your feet will start to swell, really they do.
- for me I use 2 pair of insoles, as my feet swell I remove one pair
- try 2 pair of socks (the theory is the inner sock attaches to your feet and the outer sock attaches to your shoe, so any rubbing that happens is between the socks.

Other considerations:
- Train with backpack experimenting with your combination of shoes, socks and insoles.
- On your Camino, the first few days keep your distances manageable, ask yourself: how are my feet feeling? am I drinking enough water? am I taking enough breaks?
- take breaks after 2 hours maximum, and TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES, let your feet breath.
After a few days you will get into a rhythm, all will be good.

Walk with an open heart,
Buen Camino

Footwear is the most important thing. Get something that fits and has been tested on a long walk. The mud rarely gets thicker than the sole of most shoes so its not about protection from the elements. Boots or shoes make no matter; its your choice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since you have no time limit, start in St. Jean. Walk at a comfortable pace and allow your body to condition itself. Don't walk too many kilometers a day for the first few days. Allow yourself to recover. Stretch. Massage your feet or soak them in cold water when you can at the albergues.
The boots look okay. I suppose as long as they fit you well that's what matters most. Your feet swell a bit as you walk, so you have to allow for that so as not to get blisters. I prefer thin, synthetic socks as they seem to cause the least friction and are least effected by feet swelling. Most people I saw suffering from blisters were wearing thick, heavy socks and heavy, leather hiking boots.
In two Caminos I was never bitten by a bedbug. I imagine that if you are going to bring a specially treated sheet, that should be enough.
Buen Camino.

@anotherpilgrim - our boots are similar to yours and are good for ankle support etc. As you are walking in the autumn they shouldn't be too hot. The important thing is that they are really comfortable when worn with your chosen hiking socks. If they are don't waste money on buying more. If they are not then invest your money in the most comfortable (not the most expensive) ones that you can walk in happily. Take a pair of Crocs/sandals to change into after the days walk. Many folk use crocs because they weigh so little and can be worn to walk round town or in the shower.
Buen Camino

As mentioned, boots/walking shoes should be your first concern, as you have few weeks to break them in.
Don't rush...go slowly and listen to your body. Feet and knees first then your head. Depending on your expectations of yourself, your brain will most often rise to the lowest level in the beginning. If you believe you'll have a problem with the climb out of SJPDP...you will. Remain positive and confident, listen to your body...enjoy the experience.
Buen Camino,

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have a date you are leaving and you have never walked before go to a outdoors store and buy the best boot made. If it is $330 or $400 buy them. Your feet may get trashed anyways but you have a better chance then if you go with $125 Keens. As you hear...its all about the feet.

Either way I guess we all start that way. I would say next time plan better.

Enjoy Spain during the harvest.

Bien Camino

With that heading, you will get lots of replies!

I'm not in favour of spending money unnecessarily - have you tried the boots on a long walk and are they comfortable? I think boots are overkill on the Camino Frances - I wear lightweight mesh joggers - but as you have already bought these you may as well give them a go (I'm assuming you can't take them back). If you like wearing them and they don't cause problems, then go with them. If not, then get something much lighter. I totally disagree with the advice that you should spend a heap of money on boots - I did the first time I walked the Camino and they were an expensive disaster!

As to training, you will get fit as you walk provided you start with short distances, look after your feet, drink water, and eat well. As you have plenty of time you could start a few days before SJPDP - look at the sections on the Le Puy route and the route from Paris - so the climb from SJPDP is not such a shock. Otherwise, stop overnight at Orisson or Valcarlos, depending on whether you take the Route Napoleon or the traditional route, and take it slow and steady.

As for bedbugs - plenty of threads on the forum to read.

No time limit, and no return journey booked ? -- I'd say you're already 2 steps ahead ...

Weather will be a question, so I'd say shoes not sandals, or boots if your ankles are weak.

Yeah one size larger and bla-bla same as everyone else says.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you ever walked in boots? Are your feet used to those type of shoes? If not, then they do look to heavy for a camino and i would say, consider wearing just good running shoes or (not too stiff) lightweigtht trailrunners.

I did the boots and never walked in boots before and like many others i got into trouble. And i am in very good shape, so it really has nothing to do with that.
That being said. Lots of people do walk in boots and love them and have no troubles at all. It is very difficult and very personal. All you can do here is read the experiences people have and then decide for yourself.
Don't make any decision on somebody saying you must have boots, shoes, brand, model ect... Feet are very personal, only you will now what is good for you. They must be comfortable for you, not for any of us here or the salesperson in a shop.
I listened to people who "should" know and i ended up with misery. I should have listened to my inner self, 'cause he kept saying...runners, runners, why not your runners. But what did i know, i never hiked/walked 800km before. Just like @Kanga they ended up being an expensive disaster.
On my second camino i took 2 pairs of shoes, as a test. My normal everyday runners and my trailrunners. For just walking i found out i preferred my lightweight nike wildhorse trailrunners. Thats all i am taking next time (next week:))

50kg does not mean that you can hardly take anything. The so called 10% bodyweight guideline many like to follow is not a bible. It is a guideline, nothing more. Taking 7kg for instance is still very light. Just feel yourself where comfort ends and annoyance begins. Try try try.

I would recommend to start in St jean, but that is purely based on the fact that day one is gorgeous. And it is not as horrible as some of the stories you might read. Many many many people of all ages and different fitness levels walk it and without problems. Take it easy and you will be just fine. Really.
And yes, even without much training you can walk it. You will train along the way, again, like so many others with you and before you.

Bedbugs. I havent seen'm, but that doesnt mean they are not there.
You could spray your backpack and sleepingbag with permethrin (i do). This will not kill them or scare them away so they wont come (there is no magical bedbug spray), but it will kill them when they are in contact with treated fabrics for more then aprox 30 minutes. So if they happen to hitch a ride in your bag, chances are that just being in contact with it will kill them.

As you may be Danish, then I suggest you buy Ecco boots. I bought some 10 years ago for around $300 in Australia and they are still going strong.

As you may be Danish, then I suggest you buy Ecco boots. I bought some 10 years ago for around $300 in Australia and they are still going strong.

How can you suggest such a thing, such an important thing, purely based on someones nationality? What should i get then? Wooden shoes ?:confused:o_O

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought a pair of Solomon hiking/walking shoes in SJPP camino shop last year. Found them great
and perfect for hard surfaces / hiking trails found on Camino even from new!. Shop seems to stock and know footware specifically for Camino walking, located just down from Esprit de Chemin hostel.
It's personal choice but leather boots and hard surfaces are not a good mix!!

Buen Camino

How can you suggest such a thing, such an important thing, purely based on someones nationality? What should i get then? Wooden shoes ?:confused:o_O

Yeah, 300 bucks for a pair of shoes/boots to walk the Camino? Bit much, IMO.
I did two Caminos wearing Merrell trail shoes that cost way less. Lightweight. Dry fast. Grippy lug soles (one advantage over running shoes, kind of a best of both worlds).
It's not that technical a hike/walk. No need for footwear designed to tackle Everest or K-2. I'm sure the boots you have are just fine for the task.
;)

No time limit?
Whaooo, I want to! :)

Why not 3-4 days before St-Jean-Pied-de-Port ? For example in Orthez, easy to reached by train ?

It could be better to have an easy start than the big day in SJPP...

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't want to scare you but all the talk about taking it easy the first few days is not going to happen, the first day is 17 mls up hill most of the way and if you haven't done at least that on a test hike at home you will be totally shattered by the time you stumble in to Roncevalles.
A word about footwear, I wore a £20 pair of sandals all the way and not one blister. They dry out in no time, your feet keep cool and they acomodate any swelling in your feet and as said before the mud is rarely above the sole (eccept coming down the Pyrenees).
Spraying all your kit with Permathrin is also good advice (I had one bedbug but no bites)

I don't want to scare you but all the talk about taking it easy the first few days is not going to happen, the first day is 17 mls up hill most of the way and if you haven't done at least that on a test hike at home you will be totally shattered by the time you stumble in to Roncevalles.
A word about footwear, I wore a £20 pair of sandals all the way and not one blister. They dry out in no time, your feet keep cool and they acomodate any swelling in your feet and as said before the mud is rarely above the sole (eccept coming down the Pyrenees).
Spraying all your kit with Permathrin is also good advice (I had one bedbug but no bites)

I walk Sjpp without ever having walked anything up- and downhill like that. I was first to arrive in Romcesvalles, while i left around 7:30am and i still wasn't shattered, so your theory doesn't fly. It is personal. You cant make a general statement like that. Lots of people do it and have never done anything like it before. And so what if you are shattered after that day? You also go to bed before 10pm and lots also have a short sleep when they arrive.

Last edited:
Hej, Anotherpilgrim. - I would suppose you are from Denmark ? (the link you posted) as am I. You are welcome to PM me. I might even have some equipment that I could lend to you.

Best, annelise

PM = Private converstation
thats a very kind offer , ,nice to see someone offering to help out a stranger.warms the heart !

Chiefly I expect because the OP hs quoted a Danish website for her boots :)

I think Margaret was suggesting a boot based on availability in your local, rather than nationality. I know when I tried to find the boot I had originally purchased in Borgos I couldn't find it in the States. I had to go directly to the company and ask where I could get them. On this forum we are from all over the planet and I find most people's suggestions come from a wonderful place of generosity.

I totally agree with the Permathrin suggestion. I did that the first time too. Took everything out onto the clothesline and sprayed it all well and let it hang and dry thoroughly. I am a retired Flight Attendant also and I used it on my flight bags and we stay in hotels all around the globe. I've never had an issue with bedbugs. We live on a farm here in New Hampshire in the States and I spray all of my Husbands work clothing and our outdoor gear with Permathrin. He's never had an issue with ticks, which are seriously thick in the Spring. It is safe to use on produce too so I felt ok using it. I couldn't use the sandals as I'm 62 and the padding on my feet is thinner. the sandles (TEVA) have so many straps that rub. What brand of sandals did you wear?

Hello there, everyone!
I am going to walk the camino in September-October this year (2014) ....
What kind of boots would be best for this time of year and for an untrained walker like me? ....
Is there anything else I should consider?...
Hi Pilgrim,
The first thing I'm sure you've noticed is that there are a lot of opinions - and they vary. That's because different things work for different people of course - we're ALL right! So to add my opinion along with the rest. I'll say never buy boots, walking shoes, socks, backpacks or anything else that is important to your bodily comfort, based on a brand name. Buy them based on what fits really well and what your own body is comfortable in. Think about your body - are your ankles weak at all or do you tend to twist them? have you tried all of the polypropylene type socks on a long walk and have you tried wool, cotton and silk mixtures? Some swear by all of the new 'wonder socks' from man made fibers and they work for them, but my feet hate them and are comfortable in cotton in warm weather and wool in cold (no blisters yet in 4000+ km on 4 caminos). But what works for me might not work for you.

Other things you may want to consider - weather. It can rain buckets in the fall (or spring) or it can be scorching hot and sunny. Apart from your personal gear, you want to be sure you have a way to keep certain things dry in your backpack. Plastic bags that close well (baggies or a more professional kind). You need two places for your money and valuables. Zipped or at least deep pockets probably for the money for the day. Somewhere else keep other money, credit or debit cards, plane tickets, passport and similar stuff - a waterproof purse/bag/security belt/fanny pack or some such place. Don't ever leave those things in your backpack when you leave it( for example at the albergue or outside a restaurant) - not even for a few minutes unless you do a 'watching our stuff exchange' with someone you know and trust. Let your bank know where you are going and check that your credit cards and debit cards are not due for renewal within 6 months of your return date. Sometimes they will be disallowed in foreign countries if the renewal date is close. Same goes for your passport.
Take ordinary precautions as a single female and as others have said - take it easy. It isn't worth trying to keep up with some new friends if you hurt yourself doing it. You'll find other friends - probably easily if you're traveling alone.

Make up your mind that overall you're going to have a great time and don't overworry things. They'll work out. Be open to meeting new friends of all ages - even if they don't speak the same language. Learn to say hello in two or three other languages (especially Spanish), smile when you can, cry if you need to. Just go for it and have a wonderful time!
Buen camino
Cecelia

I wore a £20 pair of sandals all the way and not one blister.
£20? Wow! On my last Camino I wore a £38 pair of boots and I thought that was good!:) My Camino was only 5 days though, and it was an experiment of sorts so I wouldn't really recommend it. The boots are quite heavy, the laces broke, and they squeaked, but they were very comfortable, robust and not a hint of a blister.

Hello there, everyone!

I am going to walk the camino in September-October this year (2014) and I know !

Oh unwise one , after you get your questions answered satisfactorily and become wise you might sidle over to the Sept 2014 thread where you will meet 100+ other unwise ones ( including me) ... . as for hiking shoe's I got my first 3 pairs at a bargain store and they were great , the next 3 pair I'm still breaking in hopefully the will be gentle on my tender brogans

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/september-2014-peregrinos.24717/#post-191732
Buen Camino ..
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everybody for all of your replies. You are very kind.

There seems to be a lot of things to consider, but I know it will all be alright and I am looking forward to when I am walking on the road, one step at a time.

I have decided to start in Pamplona because of the season and transportation. Does anyone know of a good place to stay there the first night?

I totally agree with the Permathrin suggestion. I did that the first time too. Took everything out onto the clothesline and sprayed it all well and let it hang and dry thoroughly. I am a retired Flight Attendant also and I used it on my flight bags and we stay in hotels all around the globe. I've never had an issue with bedbugs. We live on a farm here in New Hampshire in the States and I spray all of my Husbands work clothing and our outdoor gear with Permathrin. He's never had an issue with ticks, which are seriously thick in the Spring. It is safe to use on produce too so I felt ok using it. I couldn't use the sandals as I'm 62 and the padding on my feet is thinner. the sandles (TEVA) have so many straps that rub. What brand of sandals did you wear?
Karrimor, I've done 700 mls in them and there's still twice that left in them, by the way I'm 67, just wear what suits you

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Falcon's recommendation of Jesus y Maria is a good one. It's large and modern and a block or two from bars/restaurants, shops, etc.

Regarding footwear, visit a specialty store that sells hiking shoes and boots. Spend an hour or two wearing several around the store and -- ideally -- walking up and down the inclined bridge or plastic rock that many have to check the fit as you walk up and down. Also try walking sideways across the bridge/rock to see if your ankles roll; if not then you probably don't need boots.

Buen camino!

image.jpg We (my wife and I) are also starting in Sept 3rd. In SJPdP. I don't know if you have a smartphone, but there are great apps out there which put OffLine information at your fingertips about the stages (proposals) and places to stay etc etc. I personally think that the App called Camino Guide from Jack Fellows is a top one. I downloaded it on my iPhone and I don't know if it is available for "the other brands"

Karrimor, I've done 700 mls in them and there's still twice that left in them, by the way I'm 67, just wear what suits you
So were my £38 boots. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This past spring I also walked in keens, loved them. It was a tough desission to go in the boots or shoes, I chose boots. Last year I walked in Merrel boots and had no issues. My point is that I walk, I hike a lot. I know what my feet are good with. This was a reply to someone who has never walked something like this. Go with Sears die hards!

unwise is the one not asking questions :)

...my two cents worth...
- pack very very light...in your place I'd aim for 5kg total pack weight
- I used boots as well and prefer them to shoes (better ankle support, in mud/rain conditions)
- Take very frequents breaks, my first day over the Pyrenees I literately stopped every 2 minutes and leaned on my poles (definitely recommend using them), as I built up my stamina
- Take off your boots/socks and let you feet dry and breathe each time you spot a bench or convenient stone, do a gentle foot massage
- Soak your feet in cold water at every opportunity (nearby brook / bucket and/or a shower at the albergue) make sure you dry them well before continuing walking
- Each time you feel slightest discomfort stop and take a break, don't let it develop into a large one.
- To prevent blisters...BodyGlide before walking and Rowo Gel after daily walk
- Use compression bandages when walking on painful/swollen knee/ankle
- I used bed bug sheet and sprayed my sleeping bag with Permetherin...no problems with bed bugs (in April)
- definitely compile Spanish phrasebook with Google Translate app and use www.duolingo.com for learning the Spanish basics

Walk at your own pace and listen to your body...no need to push it.
Don't worry about physical preparation, you'll find lots of pilgrims older then 60, and very few athletes on the Camino

one aspect of my first pilgrimage that i truly enjoyed, continue to enjoy, and which can never really happen again is that i. didn't. know. squat! hahah :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
one aspect of my first pilgrimage that i truly enjoyed, continue to enjoy, and which can never really happen again is that i. didn't. know. squat! hahah :)
Yes, yes....so true.
My first Camino I had no idea what I was doing. No guidebook. No sleeping bag. Not even a proper backpack. Landed in Paris without even a train ticket to SJPDP. Kind of flew by the seat of my pants. Missed my train when changing them in Bourdeaux. By the time I got to SJPDP it was late at night. Walked down to town not knowing where I was or where to stay. Definitely one of those times when I asked myself, "what have you gotten yourself into"?
Still, I look back at it fondly. Did my second Camino this year, and as cool as it was, it was not as cool as the first one.

I think your concerns are valid as a newbie. I'm also walking for the first time in 2 weeks and having never walked it before I'm feeling anxiety, excitment and fear. So in this respect I think those feelings are common among us. In preparing for the Camino I have second-guessed myself with many things. . boots, where to start, spray with permathrin or not, etc. etc. I try very hard to quieten the monkey-mind that is questioning my decisions. Easier said than done. Perhaps you are wiser than you think because you are asking some good questions. Its easy to get side-tracked with everyone's opinions (which is great to have) but whatever you decide, just stick with it and not waver and then make it your experience. All is well.

I'm also starting from Pamplona on Sept 17th. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think your concerns are valid as a newbie. I'm also walking for the first time in 2 weeks and having never walked it before I'm feeling anxiety, excitment and fear. So in this respect I think those feelings are common among us. In preparing for the Camino I have second-guessed myself with many things. . boots, where to start, spray with permathrin or not, etc. etc. I try very hard to quieten the monkey-mind that is questioning my decisions. Easier said than done. Perhaps you are wiser than you think because you are asking some good questions. Its easy to get side-tracked with everyone's opinions (which is great to have) but whatever you decide, just stick with it and not waver and then make it your experience. All is well.

I'm also starting from Pamplona on Sept 17th. Buen Camino
Marylin, love the Monkey-Mind reminder. This will be Camino No. 4 for me, and yet, there's the Monkey-Mind. This time because it's del Norte vs CF, but also because on CF3 in May of '13 it was COLD. So all that I had with me, based on CF1 and 2 went out the window. The truth is every time we go on the Camino conditions will be different, areas will be different, and so the Monkey goes to work, and perhaps rightly so. Saw Walking the Camino Documentary last evening; could not believe the Danish woman shed 9 pounds off her bag! Nor her companion who may have walked with under 6 pounds all together. One would think that by now I would have all I need and wouldn't need to re-think, re-shop. But I do every time. I think there is a whole lot of shopping and planning to achieve that look of 'Ideal simplicity I didn't have to think about' ;0). New, lighter but larger backpack (to fit a sleeping bag for the first time after having been so cold in May of '13), different Crocs, cause the old one have no grip what so ever and the current ones I use locally do not let the foot breath, no more merino wool socks because unless it hot and sunny they do not dry by the next morning, and buying nylon mesh bags so I no longer use NOISY plastic bags that wake others up. Yes, I am hoping my local Camino Society will have a garage sale one of these days ;0)

My wife and I wore Scarpa leather hiking boot for our 800 km Camino this April - May. No blisters and no problems. They are also very good at keeping the cow dun out when it is deep on the path. Keep your sandals for showering in.

http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back