• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
News in Spanish:
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2363039/0/ccoo-uso/huelga-aena/sindicatos/
Dates are as follows,
The strikes will take place in all areas of AENA (the Spanish airport authority):

February 11th.
18, 19 and 22 March
1, 2, 5, 6 and 30 April
14 and 17 May
3, 4, 7 and 30 June
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 15 and 30 July
1,2,14, 30 and 31 August

Strikes is all about the forthcoming privatization of AENA.

This link suggests that some strikes are not covering 24 hours.
http://www.rtve.es/noticias/2015013...elga-aena-partir-del-11-febrero/1090206.shtml

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hoo boy. We're supposed to transfer in Madrid for a hop to Pamplona on March 22.

Does anyone with experience of Spanish airport strikes know what this means in practice? Will we be stuck for 24 hours before boarding our flight to Spain (i.e., in transit in Heathrow)? How amenable are airlines (in our case British Air) to flight changes or cancellations in anticipation of strikes? Would it do us any good to get off in Madrid and switch to a train (and so limit our delay to one Spanish airport rather than two)?

I'm thinking the Camino Portugués is looking pretty good right now...

Prentiss

Great info!

I'm sure many Pilgrims will benefit from this post, especially those from the other side of the Atlantic (hello my North and South American, Canadian and Carribean friends). If I have forgotten anyone, forgive me.

Sadly, it looks like I will need to be flexible with the knock-on effects for my own plan

Hoo boy. We're supposed to transfer in Madrid for a hop to Pamplona on March 22.

Does anyone with experience of Spanish airport strikes know what this means in practice? Will we be stuck for 24 hours before boarding our flight to Spain (i.e., in transit in Heathrow)? How amenable are airlines (in our case British Air) to flight changes or cancellations in anticipation of strikes? Would it do us any good to get off in Madrid and switch to a train (and so limit our delay to one Spanish airport rather than two)?

Prentiss

Hard to say for certain my friend.

If it were me I would ask BA what they plan to do given this advance information. I guess their difficulty will be the same as every other airline, i.e. airspace safety.

Personally, assuming I could make it to Madrid in the first place and having personal knowledge and experience of the longer term impact of 24 hour strikes like this in Spain, I would go for the train.

Wish you well, Buen Camino and disruption free travel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow, The strike luckily may only impact my return flight from Madrid after my Camino. Maybe I'll have to stay another two days in Madrid as my return flight is scheduled for June 3. :p

Last edited:
News in Spanish:
Dates are as follows,
The strikes will take place in all areas of AENA (the Spanish airport authority):

February 11th.
18, 19 and 22 March
1, 2, 5, 6 and 30 April
14 and 17 May
3, 4, 7 and 30 June
1,2,14, 30 and 31 August

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/2015013...elga-aena-partir-del-11-febrero/1090206.shtml

Thanks for your posting, we are booking our flights next week and you have just helped us choose dates to fly home. We got caught up in the strikes at Paris airport last year and had to fly out of Portugal. An expensive exercise as we lost our flights from Porto to Paris plus we had to pay extra to change our flights home.

Thanks, I intended to book 28th April so hopefully will sneak through.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I live in Spain and have "enjoyed" several strikes.

A few points

1) This is only a threat. Nothing firm has been decided and indeed I would not expect anything concrete until a last-minute compromise

2) IF IF IF this goes ahead it could be VERY damaging as it is (a) national and (b) AENA workers which effectively means that there will be NO workaround . It is NOT just one pilots' union etc

3) What will happen? Impossible to know other than it will be total chaos for days IF it goes ahead as planned.

4) My belief? There will be a cobbled compromise as neither side likes to lose face. They will strike at airports like San Javier, Albacete, Castellón (one commercial flight EVER!) and the big airports will in all likelihood be untouched. In particular I expect the main tourist ones to operate as near to normal as possible as these guys know where there bread is buttered. Similar actions in France and particularly Germany recently did them more harm than good. Spain has shamefully high unemployment (60%+ youth unemployment in my town) and these guys are treading thin ice.....and know it!

5) What would I do? IGNORE these dates as they may change and be very flexible on my dates whenever I am thinking of coming.

HTH

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Prentiss
Why don't you fly to Biarritz from London. Ryanair is very inexpensive. It is so easy to get to SJPdeP from Biarritz

Why don't you fly to Biarritz from London. Ryanair is very inexpensive. It is so easy to get to SJPdeP from Biarritz

Paul, thanks for the Biarritz tip. We are tenderfeet planning to skip SJPdeP and start our Camino in Pamplona. Presumably Biarritz would also be the best French airport for rail or bus access to Pamplona?

Also I'm afraid we Yanks know nothing about Ryanair but the horror stories. We thought we were being smart buying tickets all the way to Pamplona, despite changing planes twice, so we wouldn't have to worry or think about local transport. Shows what we know!

Seriously, the Caminho Português looks like it's barely wetter than the Francés in March. For a euronickel I'd switch my caminos. Eu amo Portugal...

Buen/bom camino/caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Paul, thanks for the Biarritz tip. We are tenderfeet planning to skip SJPdeP and start our Camino in Pamplona. Presumably Biarritz would also be the best French airport for rail or bus access to Pamplona?

Also I'm afraid we Yanks know nothing about Ryanair but the horror stories. We thought we were being smart buying tickets all the way to Pamplona, despite changing planes twice, so we wouldn't have to worry or think about local transport. Shows what we know!

Seriously, the Caminho Português looks like it's barely wetter than the Francés in March. For a euronickel I'd switch my caminos. Eu amo Portugal...

Buen/bom camino/caminho!
Ryanair is not so bad just think BUS instead of Plane. I just did a quick Google search and it looks like there are options to get to Pamplona from Biarritz. I would stick with the Camino Frances plans.

Last edited:

Buen/bom camino/caminho!

Prentiss, no worries - it was still smart of you to book all the way from the US - Madrid - Pamplona. You can still research the bus/ train options from Madrid to Pamplona, and that way if AENA goes forward on its strikes and if they affect MAD, you'll be prepared to act. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

News in Spanish:
Dates are as follows,

February 11th.
18, 19 and 22 March
1, 2, 5, 6 and 30 April
14 and 17 May
3, 4, 7 and 30 June
1,2,14, 30 and 31 August

Thanks for sharing - it's good to be aware. We'll be following the story as it develops.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I live in Spain and have "enjoyed" several strikes.

A few points

1) This is only a threat. Nothing firm has been decided and indeed I would not expect anything concrete until a last-minute compromise

2) IF IF IF this goes ahead it could be VERY damaging as it is (a) national and (b) AENA workers which effectively means that there will be NO workaround . It is NOT just one pilots' union etc

3) What will happen? Impossible to know other than it will be total chaos for days IF it goes ahead as planned.

4) My belief? There will be a cobbled compromise as neither side likes to lose faith. They will strike at airports like San Javier, Albacete, Castellón (one commercial flight EVER!) and the big airports will in all likely be untouched. In particular I expect the main tourist ones to operate as near to normal as possible as these guys know where there bread is buttered. Similar actions in France and particularly Germany recently did them more harm than good. Spain has shamefully high unemployment (60%+ youth unemployment in my town) and these guys are treading thin ice.....and know it!

5) What would I do? IGNORE these dates as they may change and be very flexible on my dates whenever I am thinking of coming.

HTH

Your take is very helpful! We'll see how it all shakes out.

So, what would you do? I am booked to arrive in Barcelona on June 3. I don't have a lot of wiggle room at all for my camino. Because I am such a nice person :), American will let me rebook for June 1 and "only" charge me $150 instead of their normal $300. But I have to do it in the next few days because they're doing it as a "special favor." So I can't wait to Feb. 11 and see how it goes.

I would be a terrible gambler, I'm very risk averse when it comes to messing up my Camino. But this may be a total waste of $$$. I know it's a matter of odds and comfort level. I've never had experience with a CCOO strike (the union for all maintenance at the airports, and all its general operations outside of flying and traffic control, I believe), but I have had experience with pilot strikes and flight attendant strikes and they have always gone off as announced and have made life difficult for me and millions of other people. So it's probably because of that fact that I am even more risk averse than is usual for me. I just seem to have bad luck with strikes and international travel.

I know there are a lot of strong opinions on almost any topic posted, so I'd like some of them thrown my way, please. Buen camino, Laurie

So, what would you do? I am booked to arrive in Barcelona on June 3. I don't have a lot of wiggle room at all for my camino. Because I am such a nice person :), American will let me rebook for June 1 and "only" charge me $150 instead of their normal $300. But I have to do it in the next few days because they're doing it as a "special favor." So I can't wait to Feb. 11 and see how it goes.

I would be a terrible gambler, I'm very risk averse when it comes to messing up my Camino. But this may be a total waste of $$$. I know it's a matter of odds and comfort level. I've never had experience with a CCOO strike (the union for all maintenance at the airports, and all its general operations outside of flying and traffic control, I believe), but I have had experience with pilot strikes and flight attendant strikes and they have always gone off as announced and have made life difficult for me and millions of other people. So it's probably because of that fact that I am even more risk averse than is usual for me. I just seem to have bad luck with strikes and international travel.

I know there are a lot of strong opinions on almost any topic posted, so I'd like some of them thrown my way, please. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
this is very disappointing I don't think I will get another chance at this but guess I will have to wait and see At least they give us some warning which is good

Thanks for the information. Have a flight back to Norway June 4 from Barajas. With a flight the next day from Oslo to Finnmark I might have to change two flights!

So, what would you do?

I would purchase some travel insurance that covers strike delays/cancellations. Because you usually are charged based on how much you have prepaid for the particular vacation, and on the Camino you usually don't prepay for food or lodging, it can be quite a bargain. I would think you could get it for less than the change fee you were quoted, and then it would cover many other possible scenarios as well. I have often purchased Allianz travel insurance through the AAA website, but it is also available directly. Check the fine print to see if it covers strikes. I have never had to use it, but it is rated highly and it was reassuring to walk past many local Allianz offices while I was on the Camino Frances.

Edit: Just went and looked--Allianz appears to cover "cessation of services" due to strikes that last longer than 24 hours, but I'd probably call and check with an agent about what that means exactly. The OP suggests some of these strikes might be less than 24 hours.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The bottom line is that NOBODY knows and just to add to the mix there are elections at all levels in Spain this year. The unions are normally considered friends of the PSOE so the latter MAY put pressure on the unions to EITHER strike or NOT strike depending how the tactics are deemed.

The ONLY thing I would put money on is that NOTHING will be done until the last minute.

I read this forum every day and LOVE the "Land of Milk and Honey" posts about Spain. The reality is that we are one step away from a breakdown as in Greece. Today the new Podemos movement/party gathered an incredible 100,000 in Madrid to protest at this government's abject handling of the crisis and to demand CHANGE and NOW.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/notic...emos-pablo-iglesias-puerta-sol-madrid-3898454

God tur....at least it will be light in Finnmark when you return which is more than you have in February.

OK, first news starting to come through in English. Hopefully this will explain #Spain2015

Ryanair is not so bad just think BUS instead of Plane. I just did a quick Google search and it looks like there are options to get to Pamplona from Biarritz. I would stick with the Camino Frances plans.
We flew RyanAir from London to Biaritz in April 2013. I was really worried about doing it, but it was find. No frills, but no glitches. I just made sure we complied with all their luggage polices.... Liz

We flew RyanAir from London to Biaritz in April 2013. I was really worried about doing it, but it was find. No frills, but no glitches. I just made sure we complied with all their luggage polices.... Liz
We are flying from Van. Canada to Madrid and Rt the same we had hoped any way

I know there are a lot of strong opinions on almost any topic posted
"chuckle"
Unfortunately, there are no provisions guaranteeing you anything in the case of a labor disruption.
My advice; try American again. If you get the same results try again. Finally, ask for a supervisor on your fourth/fifth try. Explain the circumstances and that you are trying to help them too.
Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are already booked to fly from Santiago to Gatwick on 2nd July. Hope all will be well as 1st to 5th July are listed !!

News in Spanish:
Dates are as follows,

February 11th.
18, 19 and 22 March
1, 2, 5, 6 and 30 April
14 and 17 May
3, 4, 7 and 30 June
1,2,14, 30 and 31 August

We fly out Santiago 30th March so lucky we miss this

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Prentiss
Hey there Prentiss - I'll also be coming into Madrid on March 22nd flying in from NY to Madrid. My plan is to make my way over to Pamplona via bus and then onto SJdPP. Maybe will cross paths out there:) - Buen Camino!

Ribeirascra's original post actually mistyped the date of the first strike in March, it's March 10, not March 18, and I'm due to arrive in Madrid on March 10. So I'll get to report back first hand!

Some of the days are listed as "partial strikes"
Feb. 11 March 10, April 1, April 30, June 3

And partial strikes are described as starting at 15h through the rest of the day (except for the first day, Feb. 11, scheduled as 10 - 13h). So flights arriving from the US, since they all arrive in the morning, should be fine on those days. Fingers crossed!

May 14 and May 17's strike are listed as only in Madrid.

So, as everyone else has noted, it's impossible to know if these strikes will actually happen. Some of my Spanish friends have noted that the other major union, UGT, hasn't joined this strike, but I don't know if they have a lot of workers in airport operations.

But if I didn't have my tickets in March and in June already, I wouldn't have scheduled them on these dates, that's for sure. I am hoping that even if worse comes to worse, I'll be ok, since both my arrival dates in March and June are "partial." Good luck to everyone else! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey there Prentiss - I'll also be coming into Madrid on March 22nd flying in from NY to Madrid. My plan is to make my way over to Pamplona via bus and then onto SJdPP. Maybe will cross paths out there:) - Buen Camino!

Hey, DM, pleased to meet you. We're wimping out on the Pyrenees and starting Pamplona, but I don't doubt you'll catch up with us. Buen camino!

Oh bother, I'm booked to fly from Barcelona to Newcastle on 11 Feb, due to be lambing my sheep then, and my wife will be sure to claim I'm trying to find an excuse to stay on in Spain rather than get home (currently under 6 inches of snow and -8 centigrade) to help out.

Oh bother, I'm booked to fly from Barcelona to Newcastle on 11 Feb, due to be lambing my sheep then, and my wife will be sure to claim I'm trying to find an excuse to stay on in Spain rather than get home (currently under 6 inches of snow and -8 centigrade) to help out.
Well, Alan, you will be our inaugural strike sufferer. It's only a 5 hour stoppage that day, so my bet is that you'll get the worst of both worlds -- it will be chaotic and a hassle at the airport, but you won't get to stay in Spain an extra day. Let us know how it is.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If the airlines think the strike issue is real they'll start canceling or at least rescheduling flights. The airlines don't like having planes stuck.

That means the airline will be on the hook for any change fee. OTOH if you've got connections etc booked this could be painful.

If the airlines don't change things then it means they aren't worried. If they aren't worried about the plane and crew then your flight will make it. It might be a little late but it'll arrive

I don't know how blunt/rude/repetitive I need to be but please believe me

1) I wish you all well
2) I am not wishing to be rude .... only helpful

Guys, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY knows the potential extent of the strikes.

I would NOT be happy if it looked as if I missed a "chosen" day and I would not be concerned if it seemed AT THIS STAGE as if there would be problems on a particular day.

There is nothing you, I, the airlines, nor anybody else can do at this stage.
THIS is the REALITY.

Buen camino a todos

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The pilots went on strike for two days against TAP on my way from Bilbao via Lisbon to Miami in October 2014, the baggage handlers walked off the job in sympathy with the pilots. Reason for the strike was outsourcing issues. The silver lining was spending 2 nights in a 4 star hotel with meals included at the expense of the airline.

Prentiss
I'm scheduled to arrive Madrid on the morning of April 14 from ATL. I just got off the phone with Delta and the agent advised me to sit tight. She's family in Madrid and guesses the strike(s) are 50/50. Delta is monitoring the situation and might have a statement within the week. I'm pretty flexible on time and am comfortable that Delta will take care of me.

I'm scheduled to arrive Madrid on the morning of April 14 from ATL. I just got off the phone with Delta and the agent advised me to sit tight. She's family in Madrid and guesses the strike(s) are 50/50. Delta is monitoring the situation and might have a statement within the week. I'm pretty flexible on time and am comfortable that Delta will take care of me.

Justabob, there is no strike scheduled for April 14, so you are fine, unless someone else decides to go on strike.

It'd be helpful to hear from people with tickets for strike days if and when the airlines start to change people's flights around. My impression is that American waits till a few days ahead of time.

Justabob, there is no strike scheduled for April 14, so you are fine, unless someone else decides to go on strike.

1) That is not helpful. See my comments above. The unions themselves may WELL change days. That it part of their plan. I hope NOBODY is disturbed.......history teaches otherwise.

It'd be helpful to hear from people with tickets for strike days if and when the airlines start to change people's flights around.

2) Now, that is great advice.

My impression is that American waits till a few days ahead of time

3) Exactly. They know it is pointless doing anything yet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just bring more sandwiches :)
It's all part of the adventure. If there is a delay in, take a deep breath and accept that you are not in charge. Life and Camino still lie ahead. If there is a delay out, utilize the time to enjoy the unplanned postponement of your return to real life.

Hi all,

Where is the best way to keep up to date with this dispute?

G

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I still can not add anything to the information posted.
I suppose if you are worried you will not get an internal flight maybe think about looking at catching a train or bus. These services could start to get booked up before the dates of the strikes. Alternatively hold on until either your airline gives you some information or just risk it and wait and see what happens on the day.
It is not long before the first date after which it can be judged just how effective the strikes will be (or hopefully not ).
On some forums there is a new poser who goes by the membership name AENA2015. They only link back to a blog which gives no other information, despite giving the impression that they are from the airport authority.

I still can not add anything to the information posted.
I suppose if you are worried you will not get an internal flight maybe think about looking at catching a train or bus. These services could start to get booked up before the dates of the strikes. Alternatively hold on until either your airline gives you some information or just risk it and wait and see what happens on the day.
It is not long before the first date after which it can be judged just how effective the strikes will be (or hopefully not ).
On some forums there is a new poser who goes by the membership name AENA2015. They only link back to a blog which gives no other information, despite giving the impression that they are from the airport authority.
Will suck it and see as paid for tickets and fingers crossed as leave Brisbane, Australia in 2 1/2 weeks

Cheers

G

1) That is not helpful. See my comments above. The unions themselves may WELL change days. That it part of their plan. I hope NOBODY is disturbed.......history teaches otherwise.

My Spanish friends tell me that once the strike days are officially called by these big unions, as they have been by the two unions participating (CCOO and USO), the days will not change. The strikes may be called off, they say, but they couldn't think of an example in which officially adopted days were changed. Has your experience been different, ThisIsSpain?

I think that people who are not traveling on the announced strike days shouldn't worry. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
YES, my experience has been entirely different and one of the "weapons" these Unions use is the likelihood that they will change dates or alter tactics. I have lived here for 15 years and write on Spanish current affairs on a daily basis. Specifically I write on travel...... after 600 plane journeys I have seen the good and bad of European flights/airlines/airports etc
I would be surprised if you were better informed.

Whilst I would LOVE to say that the strikes will not go ahead at all or at worst they will be 100% as quoted, I can't promise that. No, we will all have this Sword of Damocles over us all spring. As somebody who will realistically take 20/30 flights in this period, I am keeping close to the developments.

What I will say (and this is 100% opinion) is that I think the unions are aware of a number of unique factors this time:
1) There are multiple sets of elections. They will be close to the party leaders. If the PSOE think the strikes could harm them, they are strong enough/close enough to the unions to put pressure on them.
2) There have been VERY unsuccessful strikes in France, Italy and Germany recently in the airline industry
3) The unions are aware that the public sympathy level for them is low. We are all having to swallow bitter pills in Spain. The airline unions are making demands that the public are not sympathetic too. In the boom years 5/6 airports were built as vanity projects: Albacete, Ciudad Real, Huesca, Castellón (2 flights EVER!), Corvera (never opened) are NOT needed. To keep them open could close 20/30 main hospitals, 100s of schools and health centres etc We have 60% youth unemployment in my town (sic!) When you have no food on the table, it is difficult to support those who want to splurge in their own land of plenty. The Spanish have an expression that I have never seen in Norwegian and English. The unions want to "be happy and eat partridges" (a very expensive gourmet food)
4) The strikes will NOT be solid. I expect Madrid/Barcelona to be problematic but Spain get 64 million tourists each year. The workers in Palma, The Canaries, Málaga, Alicante KNOW that (a) their jobs depend on tourism and that each day's strike put 1,000s or 10s of thousands off travels to Spain and that the visitors will think of Italy, Malta, Tunisia, Egypt etc either for this year or for future holidays.
5) Cándido Méndez - for the first time in 20 years there will be no Cándido Méndez ...or will there? Will he be treading water before his retirement or has he got one more "fight" in him. Whatever one's views on him (and Cayo Lara), will there be a vacuum or will new leaders emerge?

We will have better ideas after the 11th February. Everything else is pure conjecture.

YES, my experience has been entirely different and one of the "weapons" these Unions use is the likelihood that they will change dates or alter tactics. I have lived here for 15 years and write on Spanish current affairs on a daily basis. Specifically I write on travel...... after 600 plane journeys I have seen the good and bad of European flights/airlines/airports etc
I would be surprised if you were better informed.

Whilst I would LOVE to say that the strikes will not go ahead at all or at worst they will be 100% as quoted, I can't promise that. No, we will all have this Sword of Damocles over us all spring. As somebody who will realistically take 20/30 flights in this period, I am keeping close to the developments.

What I will say (and this is 100% opinion) is that I think the unions are aware of a number of unique factors this time:
1) There are multiple sets of elections. They will be close to the party leaders. If the PSOE think the strikes could harm them, they are strong enough/close enough to the unions to put pressure on them.
2) There have been VERY unsuccessful strikes in France, Italy and Germany recently in the airline industry
3) The unions are aware that the public sympathy level for them is low. We are all having to swallow bitter pills in Spain. The airline unions are making demands that the public are not sympathetic too. In the boom years 5/6 airports were built as vanity projects: Albacete, Ciudad Real, Huesca, Castellón (2 flights EVER!), Corvera (never opened) are NOT needed. To keep them open could close 20/30 main hospitals, 100s of schools and health centres etc We have 60% youth unemployment in my town (sic!) When you have no food on the table, it is difficult to support those who want to splurge in their own land of plenty. The Spanish have an expression that I have never seen in Norwegian and English. The unions want to "be happy and eat partridges" (a very expensive gourmet food)
4) The strikes will NOT be solid. I expect Madrid/Barcelona to be problematic but Spain get 64 million tourists each year. The workers in Palma, The Canaries, Málaga, Alicante KNOW that (a) their jobs depend on tourism and that each day's strike put 1,000s or 10s of thousands off travels to Spain and that the visitors will think of Italy, Malta, Tunisia, Egypt etc either for this year or for future holidays.
5) Cándido Méndez - for the first time in 20 years there will be no Cándido Méndez ...or will there? Will he be treading water before his retirement or has he got one more "fight" in him. Whatever one's views on him (and Cayo Lara), will there be a vacuum or will new leaders emerge?

We will have better ideas after the 11th February. Everything else is pure conjecture.
Great informative feedback. Are the elections after 11th February?

I am looking forward to following your update and if you could keep it posted here i would appreciate. I am crossing everything that my flight from Santiago to Paris is ok on 30th March.....

Kind regards,

Glenn

Great informative feedback. Are the elections after 11th February?

I am looking forward to following your update and if you could keep it posted here i would appreciate. I am crossing everything that my flight from Santiago to Paris is ok on 30th March.....

Kind regards,

Glenn
Hi, Glenn, Feb. 11 is the date of the IPO (initial public offering -- get ready to buy your shares now!) as AENA privatizes. This will be a huge divestment, I believe the government is selling half of its ownershp of the airport authority, billions are at stake. I don't know much about IPOs but I know the last big one in Spain, of Bankia, was disastrous. I assume the unions fear that the result here will be the same. I gues we'll know more in a couple of days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh Wow !! ThisIsSpain -- you are now my personal hero!!!! I am booked to arrive in Span on 7 June. I know there isn't much I can do and that the possibility of disruption was up in the air, but it has been causing me periodic heartburn! I have been lurking on this thread and trying to do the Brit thing by Keeping Calm and Carrying on.... Thanks for the update! Liz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Glenn, Feb. 11 is the date of the IPO (initial public offering -- get ready to buy your shares now!) .

€58 per share, according to this morning's TV España breakfast news. Think I might give it a miss, but relieved it looks as if I should be safely in my lambing shed tomorrow night.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I watched the news on the TV this morning and missed this good news. Maybe I was too much a sleep. :oops:

Dash, I am not sure whether you were asking in a jocular tone or whether the question requires an answer. For the avoidance of doubt (1) the EWN is one of the major expat newspapers and a prime source of news for expats who do not speak Spanish. (2) I only quoted it because the FACTS were already all over the Spanish press. I would NEVER quote an English source as my prime source.....EVER!

If you want a more scholarly review: http://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html

As to how sexy or not the English language is, that's for others to discuss.

Ohhhhh! Look what I saw announced today. Bilbao to Gatwick with Vueling from 30 euros! Should help some

Might be worth putting that info in its own thread with a link to the offer - otherwise it might just get buried in this one. SY

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back