• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Up to date senior discount for trains?

Circle56

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2015)
Camino Francés (2020)
Hi, am wondering if anyone has up to date info on if there is a senior discount on trains in Spain.
We are thinking of taking a train from Santiago to visit some other parts of Spain.
Thanks for your help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, Renfe calls it the Tarjeta Dorada. Basically, you buy the card for €6 and get a significant discount (25-40%) that varies according to the type of ticket, day of week, etc. It is explained on this website.
And you can buy it at any train station. Just show your passport and try to choose a time when they are not busy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Once you have the Tarjeta number you can use the Renfe app to get an e-ticket with the discount taken off. Also if you use the ticket machines in a station, and there are a lot of stations without ticket offices, you'll need the Tarjeta number to get the discount.

Stations are separate from the Renfe network so there is less and less Renfe staff about. Best get the app on your phone even if you don't have access to the Tarjeta

I bought one last year and it paid for itself immediately, struggled to use it in Sarria but the reolacement bus driver wasnt interested in seeing it or selling me a ticket! I'm told that if you book tickets well in advance then the ordinary discount is even better. Also thought I'd read somewhere that the free travel scheme was continuing and extending to us foreigners!

I bought one last year and it paid for itself immediately, struggled to use it in Sarria but the reolacement bus driver wasnt interested in seeing it or selling me a ticket! I'm told that if you book tickets well in advance then the ordinary discount is even better. Also thought I'd read somewhere that the free travel scheme was continuing and extending to us foreigners!
Thanks for your info. There will be 3 of us, so, if we can save some on train travel, that would be good. I had read about the free travel for Spanish citizens.
Will keep an eye out for updates on that.
Thanks for your help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, Renfe calls it the Tarjeta Dorada. Basically, you buy the card for €6 and get a significant discount (25-40%) that varies according to the type of ticket, day of week, etc. It is explained on this website.
Hi, thanks for your help and info. We have travelled some on trains before, but, not as seniors. I will check out the website that you sent. Thanks again.

Once you have the Tarjeta number you can use the Renfe app to get an e-ticket with the discount taken off. Also if you use the ticket machines in a station, and there are a lot of stations without ticket offices, you'll need the Tarjeta number to get the discount.

Stations are separate from the Renfe network so there is less and less Renfe staff about. Best get the app on your phone even if you don't have access to the Tarjeta
Thanks for your info. Had not heard about this app, so, will be checking it out. Appreciate your help.

And you can buy it at any train station. Just show your passport and try to choose a time when they are not busy.
Thanks for your info. Am looking forward to some train travel and seeing some more of Spain, after we finish the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had read about the free travel for Spanish citizens.
I'd read somewhere that the free travel scheme was continuing and extending to us foreigners!
It is my understanding that the free travel has never been limited to citizens. Rather, there are conditions on its use that make it useful only for people commuting regularly on the same route. For that reason, it is not of much interest to tourists.

Unless the ‘free travel’ scheme changes you’ll have to register for and buy a multi-trip (at least 10) journeys ticket; which also requires a deposit. Having completed the requisite number of journeys (currently 16) one would get a refund. The scheme is; quite sensibly; designed to assist regular commuters with their travel costs.

Hi, am wondering if anyone has up to date info on if there is a senior discount on trains in Spain.
We are thinking of taking a train from Santiago to visit some other parts of Spain.
Thanks for your help.
I have used the Tarjeta Dorada (Gold Card) a lot since 2000 and was always told that it had to be paid for in CASH before buying any tickets with it, It had to be renewed each year by the same means in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My experience is that the operator at the till at the station will match your age with a reasonable price at your request..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got my senior discount card last October in person... The lady at the Renfe ticket window at the Leon train station was very patient with me and very helpful. I had written down the dates (departing two days hence) and where I wanted to go. She looked up my Leon to Palencia ticket and then, for the following day, Palencia to San Sebastian. She told me that I would change trains in Vitoria-Gasteiz. I had also written "Tarjeta Dorada" on my note. She explained that before she issued my train tickets I would have to buy the senior discount card with six euros cash ("en efectivo"). I then paid for the tickets by credit card.

A few days later, in Palencia, I returned to the train station to find that my train to Vitoria-Gasteiz was expected to arrive 45 minutes late. At Vitoria-Gasteiz the train to San Sebastian had been held for us and I just walked across the platform to board my connecting train!

Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• dorada.gif
    dorada.gif
    194.7 KB · Views: 14

Thanks for website information.

I turned 60 last summer.

Next time in Spain I will purchase the Tarjeta Dorada.

So, is it possible to purchase the Tarjeta Dorada online before arriving into Spain?.
If not, the discount available with the Tarjeta may not be as much as the discount available when you book train travel in advance.
As an example, I'm arriving in Madrid late August and will catch the train up to Pamplona, if I pre-book that train travel a few months in advance I'll get significant discounts. If I wait until I arrive into Madrid, then purchase the Tarjeta, I'll get the 25% discount, but the fares will be significantly higher, and I'd run the risk of either not being able to arrange the Tarjeta or the train being booked out. (unlikely).
If, like a lot of walkers, there's only going to be one or two trips by train, e.g. up from Madrid, back from Santiago, then it might not be worth it. If you're planning on a longer stay in Spain then it's a no-brainer. It'd be good to get it in advance on-line though, that might enable both discounts to apply, early booking and the Tarjeta discount.

So, is it possible to purchase the Tarjeta Dorada online before arriving into Spain?.
If not, the discount available with the Tarjeta may not be as much as the discount available when you book train travel in advance.
As an example, I'm arriving in Madrid late August and will catch the train up to Pamplona, if I pre-book that train travel a few months in advance I'll get significant discounts. If I wait until I arrive into Madrid, then purchase the Tarjeta, I'll get the 25% discount, but the fares will be significantly higher, and I'd run the risk of either not being able to arrange the Tarjeta or the train being booked out. (unlikely).
If, like a lot of walkers, there's only going to be one or two trips by train, e.g. up from Madrid, back from Santiago, then it might not be worth it. If you're planning on a longer stay in Spain then it's a no-brainer. It'd be good to get it in advance on-line though, that might enable both discounts to apply, early booking and the Tarjeta discount.
I totally agree. The price that you can get when tickets first go on sale for your date and route can be much lower than the Tarjeta Dorada's discounted price.

From what I read on @C clearly's link the Tarjeta Dorada must be purchased in person. However, it can be renewed online.

I am walking part of the VF and then Porto to SdC this year (May and June). Does anyone know if Portugal and Italy also have senior cards and discounts for non-residents?

We bought 2 tarjeta dorada December 2022. I decided to laminate them to keep them more durable. Unfortunately the lamination process heated the print and the tickets turned black so we lost the details on them! The opposite side retained its print. I didn't photograph them or take a copy of the ticket number.

Is this for anyone or just Spanish seniors. Do you happen to know the age they consider seniors? Thank you.

Is this for anyone or just Spanish seniors. Do you happen to know the age they consider seniors? Thank you.
It's for people over 60.

Screenshot_20230225_075002_Firefox.jpg

A number of non-Spanish forum members have used the card.

All the information is in the link that @C clearly provided in post #2 above. On the website click on the globe symbol on the top right corner for English (or other languages)

Screenshot_20230225_075136_Firefox.jpg

I am walking part of the VF and then Porto to SdC this year (May and June). Does anyone know if Portugal and Italy also have senior cards and discounts for non-residents?
In Portugal you don't need a senior card, you just need to be +65 and have a official document to prove it (ID/passport/etc)

Thank you
You buy the Carta Dorada (Gold Card) at any railway station. I never book travel ahead (other than my flight TO Spain, but being a retired man, I can decide on my return home when I have finished): Too many times have plans been changed and money lost. I have never had any problems buying train tickets the same day or the day before.

The Spanish railway system is fantastic: You can adjust your clock to its schedules. Spain is civilized, trustworthy and a reliable, friendly country. Some (a little; questions, politeness, etc.) knowledge of the language will make you many local friends and make life so much easier, in addition to being viewed as a polite person.

Do not overplan; take things as they come. We are on a lifetime journey.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back