• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Upcoming departure: question about trains

liliha

Hello, all,

I am full of departure nerves now...my departure date is only 4 days away! Tuesday evening I leave Atlanta to fly in to Bordeaux. I have a couple of questions about getting from Bordeaux to SJPP:

1. Any idea where I can view train schedules and routes? After reading some posts, it seems likely that I will train from Bordeaux to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPP. Will it be easy to get an early train out of Bordeaux?

2. Will it be easy to purchase tickets on the day of travel?

3. How much time should I allow to travel from Bordeaux to Bayonne, and from Bayonne to SJPP?

4. Any other train travel tips?

Ultreya! (but first I must head east!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
I know Your pain.
I couldn't find proper timetable on any French site.
So I used a polish railways website (I'm Polish) which proved to be accurate before.
So this is Your schedule for Wed the 9th of April:
Bordeaux-St-J. 13:14 TGV
Bayonne 14:54
Bayonne 15:06 Regional Train
St Jean Pied de Port 16:19

If You want earlier train leaves Bordeaux at 6.41.
Let me know I'll send You details
See You on the Camino. I start my walk on 11th.
Andy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you both, so much. Actually, I wouldn't be leaving Bordeaux until the 10th...my flight arrives in Bordeaux around 18:00 on the 9th. If either of you have schedules for that day, I would be most obliged.

Andy...Are you beginning in SJPP on the 11th? In that case, we will certainly be seeing each other on the way!

I am a regular reader here, but don't post much. My pilgrimage plans are still too vague to have much to say, but I love to read about others' plans and experiences.

I find the best site for train information in Europe is the German site:
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

They are not very good for price information but the schedules, etc., are very reliable. I always copy and paste lists of optional trains onto a MS Word document with a small font, and take the pages with me. For every leg of a trip I can select my trains and usually I just go to the ticket counter and can point at the departure I want. Sometimes my information is better than what the agent seems to know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Liliha
It is very possible we meet. I'll come to SJPDP on 10th in the evening so on 11th early morning You can see me departing. I rather start earlier because I've read SJPDP-Roncesvalles strech is one of most difficult on the camino. Especially when you're not used to walking routine.
See You
Andy

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back