• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Update 10 April 2015 -- Z-Stepping the Camino

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
10 April 2015 -- Hotanas to Itero de la Vega - 21 km -- Weather -- A Little Rain -- Not Bad

Had a great stay in Albergue Juan de Yepes in Hontanas -- First Albergue you come to once you enter town -- Very Clean, Great Staff -- Food Good -- Hot Showers -- Got stuck on the top bunk -- big bummer -- but at least the ladder was solid.

Was not sure how I was going to feel this AM after yesterday -- but was pleasantly surprised that all the body parts still worked -- regardless -- I was going to take it easy today and pull up short from what I had planned -- just to make sure -- jack up the back and the Camino ends.

Today looked like the potential for more rain -- so wore the jacket, but not the rain pants -- started out slow and steady and maintained the pace until I got to the town of Castrojeriz -- stopped at the first Cafe I came to for some tea and a bite to eat -- ran into members of the new herd and had a pretty decent conversation with them -- still not sure how far I was going to push today -- this was a really, really cool town and lots of places to stay, etc.. enticing -- but -- needed to do at least 10 more kms.

The only hill between Castrojeriz and Itera de la Vega was suppose to be about 100 meter in elevation -- ok -- if that was a 100 meter in elevation -- I am a Naked Zombie at a Brain Eating Contest! (sorry about the visual).

This was the Mountain that just kept on giving -- every turn you are thinking -- ok I am at the top -- Nope -- ok I am at the top -- Nope -- after multiple iterations of this, I just looked at the ground in front of me and just kept walking, not looking up -- less demoralizing that way.

Finally made it to the top and looked back -- what a view!! -- what a hump to see this view -- all worth it. I do recommend that if you are in the area and want to see this absolutely beautiful view, maybe even have a picnic -- Drive.

So throughout the day I am jamming -- Led Zeppelin, Macklemore, Nirvana, etc.. feeling really great and what happens -- yep -- "Dorothy the Dinosaur" -- now who in their right mind would sing a song about "Dorothy the Dinosaur" ?!? I really have to have a long talk with my son on his choice of music.

So just crossed over into the Provence of Palencia and taking a picture of the Marker and a gal pulls up in a car -- I look over and the window is down -- so walked over to see what was up -- she asked if I spoke english -- (inner voice -- huuumm -- Nebraska Hat -- yep -- we have been known to speak english) -- told her yes and she hands me an advertisement of her bar and began to explain all the food choices (in Spanish) -- she is pretty excited about the whole thing -- she finishes -- I look at her and simply ask -- Got Beer? -- Stunned -- she replies SI - OK -- I'm there.

As she gets ready to leave, she explains it is only 1.5 kms way -- ONLY -- ok - in a car, on horseback, riding a bike, piggyback on your wife's back - Only 1.5 Kms sounds -- not far -- but walking -- far -- it was in the direction I had to go -- so pole-stepped my way to the bar - I mean, it was only 1.5 kms away -- whats the big deal.

Z-Stepping -- bet you all think this has to do with Zombies - Nope -- it is the only way for an old guy with jacked up knees to go downhill -- instead of attacking the downhill slope dead on -- I zig-zag back on forth -- saves the knees -- works great -- but I am sure the folks behind me are saying "there goes another drunk Pilgrim -- can't even walk in a straight line" -- Oh Well.

So tonight I am staying in another Hostel (first one you come to in Itero de la Vega) -- this one is kind of expensive -- 10 euros vs. 7 euros -- outragous -- but the water was hot and no bunk beds -- I am in heaven -

I continue to thank my wife everyday I am out here for her approval and support of this fanastic adventure in Spain.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is that Dorothy from The Wiggles? Thanks, now the song is stuck in my head too!

Grogan, I do the same thing on steep downhills! I think it looks like I'm dancing, or fooling around somehow. I must be adding a lot of steps… but my knees say it's worth it!

I do another goofy-looking thing on steep ascents. It's an actual Thing though, called the Rest Step. You kinda kick one foot out as far as you can, then lock your knee, hunch upper body forward and sorta roll up to a standing position. Pause for a split second, resting on your bones and relaxing the quad. Kick other foot, stand up and pause. Really hard to explain but there are good videos on YouTube. You're using your skeleton basically, instead of your quads to hoist yourself up. It's actually more for people hiking in the Himalayas or doing Kilimanjaro…!! But it works great for overweight people like me, struggling to make it up even at lower elevations. This way I can (mostly) keep going uphill without stopping too often.

Your posts are awesome… you seem to be just a few weeks ahead of me so it's neat to get a preview of what I might be, or surely will be facing soon! <3

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Edith I just looked into the "rest step" on Youtube and it looks like a GREAT technique for me to employ. I already do the zig zag on the downhill slopes where possible but I had never heard about rest steps for an uphill slope. On my local training hill it feels like I am stopping every 50 ft to slow my heart and breathing back to normal and to give my leg muscles a break before continuing . Doing that helps IMMENSELY when climbing long steep slopes ensuring that I am not completely dead by the time I reach the top. I am firmly in the VERY slow uphill camp but like the proverbial tortoise I DO always make it to the top.(so far) It's annoying to have to stop that often but hubby is a dear and never ever complains, (he knows how much tougher climbing hills are for me compared to the ease with which he is able to sttride up them). The rest step might be just the thing I need! My training hill has only a 200M elevation over a couple km (and I can't do it that often either unfortunately due to time constraints) ... The SJPP/Orrison climb is considerably higher, at least 600+ elevation change from SJPP, so I'll need all the help I can get ... of course I have all day to get there ... should be doable even with all my micro rest breaks ... if you're on the walk on May 5 you'll see me leaning on my poles, red in the face huffing and puffing .... don't feel too bad for me ... it may be tougher on me with my old bones and considerable extra weight and it may LOOK like I am in danger of having an imminent heart attack or stroke but I know my limits and I rest OFTEN. I will get to the top altho I may be a basket case when I get there ....but get there I will! If you are young and fit (or not as the case may be) and you happen to pass such a woman on your next Camino (cause pass me you will ... EVERYONE will) ... think kindly off me, cause I am workin HARD .... but hopefully with a smile on my face :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello corn husker. Just wanted you to know that I spent 25 years "IN THE NAVY" And your bunny vision is too funny, blame it on calorie consumption. Question, was it a full moon, blue moon, or a harvest moon. I am so enjoying your posts, lots of good inforation and insite. Keep on truckin. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Mysticl, I could give you a run for your money in the slowness department. I get passed aaaall day long until there's literally nobody left to pass me. But like you, I like to take my sweet time & not get myself overexerted. I just don't like turning purple and getting drenched with sweat, so I go as slow as Christmas. Not sure it helps in the end because when you're on your feet for 11 hours instead of 6, you do get incredibly tired. Given a choice I would rather be fit & fast… I'm working on that! And I'm waaaay better than I was a few years ago before I started really trying. Hugs…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Edith we sound like we could be twins from other mothers and I agree with you about the 11 hours vs 6 hours. It's a little demoralizing when I am doing my training hill and younger (lighter) walkers pass me going up and then I see them again on their way DOWN while I am still hoofing it around the halfway point still going up but I console myself with the thought that while it is a LOT harder for me to make the climb I am still DOING IT and even surviving the attempt ;)

A few years ago even thinking about trying something like the Camino would have been impossible for me and at the time it probably would have been ... but a lot has changed since then and not with a whish of a magic wand but with a lot of sweat and tears and hard work. Buen Camino Edith, I'll be thinking of you as I Rest Step up to Orrison and I'll probably be thanking you (and a few others for their advice and support) the whole way :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back