• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Update 12 April 2015 -- Crop Dusting the Camino

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
12 April 2015 -- Carrion de los Condes to Moratinos -- 29.3 km

After a great night's sleep -- I was ready to move out -- had prepaid for my Pilgrim's Breakfast and was looking forward to the chow - after I got it -- maybe not -- orange juice (good), Coffee (good), two hunks of toasted, white, thick bread (could have done without -- not being snobish here, but was hungry for something else other than bread) -- next time I will take an mouth watering photo as proof -- but -- pilgrims can't be choosy -- a little protein would have been nice, but had lots of Chorizo last night - more on that later.

Started moving out of the city - very quiet for a Sunday and very pleasant -- bells ringing in the distance, etc.. -- as I hit the main trail I was actually shocked by the number of pilgrims on the route -- was thinking that Carrion del los Condes might be a major starting point for some of the travel agencies or perhaps I have just mingled in with new groups of pilgrims -- anyways -- after yesterday -- this was just plain weird.

So moving along and minding my own business -- I almost got run over by two passing bikes -- I was so pissed, I did not know what language to cuss at them in -- so instead I gave them a look that would kill, a look that would send babies crying for their Mommies, a look that would in fact cause sheep to miscarriage -- unfortunately I forgot I had my sunglasses on -- so it was a wasted effort -- not sure if I have mentioned - bicyclist without bells -- me no like.

I ran into my two new Canadian friends -- they are taking a break at a bench on the side of the road -- I figured I would join them -- be a great opportunity to rest the feet, make some tea, water mother nature -- etc.. -- so what happens, some old gal from Switzerland shows up and parks at the bench -- so much for watering mother nature -- it would be another 9 kms before life was to return to a more comfortable status -- good news -- no blood.

This particular leg of the Journey is 16.8 km before you reach an inhabited site/town/cafe/beer -- that was a long walk -- after that things went pretty fast -- almost stopped at Terradillos de Los Templarios -- looked like a cool place -- instead pushed on and got a room at Hostel Moratinos -- nice enough place -- the town itself is really, really small -- but really cool wine cellars dug into the side of the hill -- the locals have even run tv into the cellars so they can watch soccer while they work -- pretty cool Man Caves --

So how to sum up today? Finished listening to the book "Congo Mercenary" -- highly recommend --Long, Hot -- Hot, Long and unfortunately had lots of Chorizo sausage last night -- so pretty much crop dusted the whole 29.3 kms --good news -- lots of farm lands, so could blame the livestock --Yep I got it -- TMI --

Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
so pretty much crop dusted the whole 29.3 kms --good news -- lots of farm lands, so could blame the livestock --Yep I got it -- TMI --

Buen Camino!!

HAHAHAHAHA! I love it!

I got a bit addicted to dried apricots on the Camino. Very good, but there was a tiny little side effect. At one point I was walking along and ran into a pilgrim who didn't speak much English. I told him, "I don't know if people understand the phrase "crop dusting" but after today, they are at least familiar with the concept!" He gave me a puzzled look, smiled, and walked on.

Try cussing :mad: in French or Italian. That should cover it. Everyone worries about the cars when walking the roads. Its the bikes on the trail that are dangerous. Your right about the bell. Crop dust, I've never heard the term before but I like it. :)

Happy Trails

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HAHAHAHAHA! I love it!

I got a bit addicted to dried apricots on the Camino. Very good, but there was a tiny little side effect. At one point I was walking along and ran into a pilgrim who didn't speak much English. I told him, "I don't know if people understand the phrase "crop dusting" but after today, they are at least familiar with the concept!" He gave me a puzzled look, smiled, and walked on.

Dear jeffnd,

Can I take it there were planes flying overhead spraying their crop dusting materials upon you? or am I reading that entirely wrongly?
ta
kate
or some crop dusting was your gift...laugh if you must I love a good giggle meself..

Last edited by a moderator:
Try cussing :mad: in French or Italian. That should cover it. Everyone worries about the cars when walking the roads. Its the bikes on the trail that are dangerous. Your right about the bell. Crop dust, I've never heard the term before but I like it. :)

Happy Trails
Gosh doesn't that feel a bit like cheating...on a bike? Hmm Im sure there are so many other bicycle routs to ride on not sure why they need to do the camino... I've often wondered what the point was if it was supposed to be a walk...

You can walk, ride a bike, ride a horse, or walk and have a donkey carry your gear. Last year an American in a wheelchair did the entire french route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can walk, ride a bike, ride a horse, or walk and have a donkey carry your gear. Last year an American in a wheelchair did the entire french route.
Well wheel chair is different of course. Those are their legs so to speak. And I guess I don't have a problem with getting some of the gear carried because I imagine that they had donkeys etc in the "olden days" but somehow it feels a bit like cheating if you are not actually "walking" it. Perhaps thats just my perception but in a huge country like Canada and where riding bikes is not an out of the ordinary regular transportation to me it feels like one might as well drive a car. But thats just me.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back