• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Update 6 April 2015

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
The Walking Dead

6 April 2015 -- Najera to Granon - 28.3 kms -- Ended up a bit short

Pole--Step, Pole--Step, Pole--Step, sun beating down on you -- feet heating up from the pavement -- Pole--Step, Pole-Step, Pole--Step -- thanks goodness for Glide -- walking like a Cowboy is embarrassing -- Pole--Step, Pole--Step, Pole--Step -- saying hi to strangers -- watching folks struggle along, a step at a time, but still with determined looks in their eyes and still with tired smiles on their faces and still willing to take the extra oxygen from their oxygen starved bodies to reply with a greeting or a short conversation -- this is the Camino -- painful, wonderful, different.

It has amazed me seeing the different folks on the Camino -- young and old, all Nationalities -- some with really large backpacks, others with day packs using transport companies to move their gear from one location to the next -- everyone walks it in their own way -- Me, I like the physical beating (ok -- to a point), but the relief you get when you get up a really big mountain and look back from where you started or you get to your intended destination for the day is full filling -- I guess it is about embracing the suck (and male pride).

On the other hand - you can see folks who are really hurting - I mean walking in complete pain -- with numb expressions -- the Walking Dead -- just moving foreword -- towards the next city, town, Albergue, and ultimately Santiago.

Today started out great -- a really beautiful morning to start the walk. Pushed all the way to Ciruena before I decided to take a break --- stopped at the top of a long hill at the only golf course I have seen since starting this journey (and probably the nicest place in Ciruena -- trust me on that one).

After a quick break and relief for the feet pushed on to Santa Domingo -- the entrance to the town was somewhat industrial, but once you got into the old part of town -- amazing.

This part of the Journey was -- well -- bleak - hot, long gravel roads and -- yep -- the next town was on top of a Hill (no valley people here) -- walked all the way to the end of town looked across the valley to the next town -- 4 kms away -- does not sound far, but at this point of the day -- I was beat --

So walked back to the town center -- saw a young gal reading a book and asked her if this was an Albergue -- she said it was a Donation place (ok there is a Spanish word for it, but you get the point) -- basically you show up, if there is an open bunk you take it. The guy that runs the place will prepare a meal for everyone and when you leave the next day -- you provide a donation -- unlike Albergues, this place you could actually stay for a few days, there is no get out here by 0830 - very interesting - almost reminds you of a hippie commune -- basic beds -- hot shower, etc.. quite the experience.

So the young gal who showed me the place is also a pilgrim from Sardinia, Italy -- Jimmy (could not pronounce her full name -- but she was good with Jimmy) -- there is a lady from Australia, two Hungarians, a couple of young German kids from Kiel, a couple of Old French Ladies, two folks from Denmark, and Sammy from the UK who I started walking with on the first day of the adventure.

So this Donation Albergue I am staying at is, to say the least - unique -- cold as hell, so we started a fire before dinner, or I should say we watched the Hungarian Gal start the fire -- after she just kind of plopped wood in a pile, I went over and made a square box stack with the wood, and then slipped away to watch the entertainment -- that was the most bazaar event I have yet seen -- can't express it in words -- I mean I am still confused on the whole episode, especially when she starting howling like an Indian -- seriously -- can't make this stuff up.

Dinner was great -- the difference between all the folks was like night and day -- the conversations were interesting and twisted -- the food --- that was the highlight -- lentil soup, pasta, potatoes, tomatoes, bread, and of course red wine, which we all got from the local store -- it was a great, simple meal.

After Dinner we lounged around the fire, with everyone talking about their hometowns or countries -- Anna the Australian asked me about my blog site -- when I told her the site -- she looks at me and exclaims "your on the Camino forum! I recognize your name" -- so that was very neat - first person from the Camino Forum that I have run into since the adventure began -- we both thought that was cool. I would say this was the best evening so far in my Camino Experience -- hard to express in words -- Camino Magic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sounds awesome! I would be interested to know the name of the donativo place you stayed in Santa Domingo.

Sounds awesome! I would be interested to know the name of the donativo place you stayed in Santa Domingo.
The Name is: La Casa De Las Sonrisas -- right hand side of the main street (about a third of the way up)-- Town was Granon -- next town ater you yoou leave Santa Domingo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can identify it by the stuffed animals sitting on the chairs out front.
Love your blog, Grogan.

The Walking Dead

6 April 2015 -- Najera to Granon - 28.3 kms -- Ended up a bit short

Pole--Step, Pole--Step, Pole--Step, sun beating down on you -- feet heating up from the pavement -- Pole--Step, Pole-Step, Pole--Step -- thanks goodness for Glide -- walking like a Cowboy is embarrassing -- Pole--Step, Pole--Step, Pole--Step -- saying hi to strangers -- watching folks struggle along, a step at a time, but still with determined looks in their eyes and still with tired smiles on their faces and still willing to take the extra oxygen from their oxygen starved bodies to reply with a greeting or a short conversation -- this is the Camino -- painful, wonderful, different.

It has amazed me seeing the different folks on the Camino -- young and old, all Nationalities -- some with really large backpacks, others with day packs using transport companies to move their gear from one location to the next -- everyone walks it in their own way -- Me, I like the physical beating (ok -- to a point), but the relief you get when you get up a really big mountain and look back from where you started or you get to your intended destination for the day is full filling -- I guess it is about embracing the suck (and male pride).

On the other hand - you can see folks who are really hurting - I mean walking in complete pain -- with numb expressions -- the Walking Dead -- just moving foreword -- towards the next city, town, Albergue, and ultimately Santiago.

Today started out great -- a really beautiful morning to start the walk. Pushed all the way to Ciruena before I decided to take a break --- stopped at the top of a long hill at the only golf course I have seen since starting this journey (and probably the nicest place in Ciruena -- trust me on that one).

After a quick break and relief for the feet pushed on to Santa Domingo -- the entrance to the town was somewhat industrial, but once you got into the old part of town -- amazing.

This part of the Journey was -- well -- bleak - hot, long gravel roads and -- yep -- the next town was on top of a Hill (no valley people here) -- walked all the way to the end of town looked across the valley to the next town -- 4 kms away -- does not sound far, but at this point of the day -- I was beat --

So walked back to the town center -- saw a young gal reading a book and asked her if this was an Albergue -- she said it was a Donation place (ok there is a Spanish word for it, but you get the point) -- basically you show up, if there is an open bunk you take it. The guy that runs the place will prepare a meal for everyone and when you leave the next day -- you provide a donation -- unlike Albergues, this place you could actually stay for a few days, there is no get out here by 0830 - very interesting - almost reminds you of a hippie commune -- basic beds -- hot shower, etc.. quite the experience.

So the young gal who showed me the place is also a pilgrim from Sardinia, Italy -- Jimmy (could not pronounce her full name -- but she was good with Jimmy) -- there is a lady from Australia, two Hungarians, a couple of young German kids from Kiel, a couple of Old French Ladies, two folks from Denmark, and Sammy from the UK who I started walking with on the first day of the adventure.

So this Donation Albergue I am staying at is, to say the least - unique -- cold as hell, so we started a fire before dinner, or I should say we watched the Hungarian Gal start the fire -- after she just kind of plopped wood in a pile, I went over and made a square box stack with the wood, and then slipped away to watch the entertainment -- that was the most bazaar event I have yet seen -- can't express it in words -- I mean I am still confused on the whole episode, especially when she starting howling like an Indian -- seriously -- can't make this stuff up.

Dinner was great -- the difference between all the folks was like night and day -- the conversations were interesting and twisted -- the food --- that was the highlight -- lentil soup, pasta, potatoes, tomatoes, bread, and of course red wine, which we all got from the local store -- it was a great, simple meal.

After Dinner we lounged around the fire, with everyone talking about their hometowns or countries -- Anna the Australian asked me about my blog site -- when I told her the site -- she looks at me and exclaims "your on the Camino forum! I recognize your name" -- so that was very neat - first person from the Camino Forum that I have run into since the adventure began -- we both thought that was cool. I would say this was the best evening so far in my Camino Experience -- hard to express in words -- Camino Magic.
Love reading your story. Wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20140624_122148 Granon2.jpg
    20140624_122148 Granon2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love these guys! stopped there sept 2014 when my daughters knee gave out. Let us in before they were even open, gave her something to put on it and kept checking on her. I thought I was doomed and the camino provided the nicest people when we needed it . Fond memories of darts with Oliver and the flaming drink.

The Name is: La Casa De Las Sonrisas -- right hand side of the main street (about a third of the way up)-- Town was Granon -- next town ater you yoou leave Santa Domingo

La Casa De Las Sonrisas...The House of Smiles...i think ,a wonderfuly apt name!
Thank you for showing a amazing slice of the time and place of your travels!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back