• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Update 7 April 2015 -- Walking with Worms & Snakes -- Saw A Full Moon

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
Hey All -- am going to get caught up on the updates today -- I will try to keep them short -- not sure if I am violating a Forum policy by adding to much -- let me know if they are too long -- thanks all --

7 April 2015 Ganon to Villafranco -- 28.3 kms -- Weather Perfect (again)

Started out early -- cool morning -- missed a turn -- had to backtrack, fortunately not far but did go uphill and then back down hill -- 16.5 kms in a little under 4 hours -- so pace was good -- Stopped in Belorado -- for lunch -- a slice of pizza, a beer, and a chance to charge up the Ipod for the finally push of the day -- another 11.5 to get to Villafranco -- next town after that is 12.5 kms away -- so no way I can get that far plus no place to stay.

Todays route was a lot of long dirt roads, surrounded by flat fields and unfortunately a lot of these routes paralleled the main road -- the loud trucks drowned out my Ipod -- yep -- another book, but not a Zombie book -- bummer -- but it keeps me going.

After I left Belorado, there were four towns until I got to my objective of the day (Villafranco) -- I figured at town number two I would take a break -- somewhere in my backpack I had an orange and thought that would be a great pick me up to get me to the end. Actually I thought a beer and an orange would be perfect, but when I got to the town of Vilambistia -- no cafe (that I could find). It did have a really cool courtyard like place to drop the pack, take off the boots and lay back and listen to my Ipod - oh - and eat my orange.

So I'm listening to my Ipod minding my own business and glance over to the park area where two gals are at and what do I see -- a Full Moon -- Yep -- a very interesting Full Moon -- I guess when you got to go you got to go -- I did not stare nor did I blush, but internal voice was laughing pretty hard. I wonder if this is part of the Camino Magic (sorry could not resist that one).

Arriving in Villafranco, I was actually feeling pretty good -- once again had no idea where I was going to stay and to tell you the truth I was pretty much socialized out from my last stay, so was hoping NOT to stay in the 10 euro Albergue -- As I entered town I stopped to look at one of the signs for a Pension -- a young gal walks by and ask if I am looking for a room -- and I said yes, but would like a single room -- she squared me away -- 20 euros, my own room, a shower and kitchen facility (no internet, but the cafe next door has internet and she gave me the password) -- overall perfect. Went to the local store, got some breakfast supplies and am looking forward to a great night's sleep. The name of the Pension was El Pagaro.

On today's hike I noticed for the first time a bunch of worms working their way across the gravel roads, searching for the sanctuary of the soft grass and dirt -- I mean these worms were like ideal fishing worms -- huge -- but I got the feeling these guys were a little slow -- sun coming up, speed of movement -- well, wormlike -- so watching these worms try to work their way to safety, I just had to acknowledge that they were destine to be worm jerky -- no way were they going to beat the Big Heat Tab in the Sky.

Walking along the dusty road, what do I see -- a snake -- not very big - but he was a bit upset that I stopped his movement (wanted a picture) -- first snake I have seen in years -- little guy, but had no clue what type, so did not mess with it (too much : ) ). A little bit later found another snake -- but looks like his luck ran out -- no head and too dried up to eat.

So tomorrow we will see where we end up -- If I push 36 km I can be back on track -- will just have to see how the dogs hold out - right arch is still sore-- taping it up helps out a lot -- so we will see.

Distance travel so far -- 250.6 km -- 155.7 miles -- Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I come from a country with no snakes and very few icky spiders and nasties. So I went to live in the country with the most noxious dangerous beasties probably in the world (Australia). Mind you, I rarely see them except for the odd big monitor or skink walking through my backyard.
I also visited a country (Suriname) many years ago and had to stop off in Miami to get my visa. I went to the local Natural History Museum and every huge snake and dangerous animal came from...Suriname. I was so jumpy about long grass in my first week!
But some of these Spanish beasties have reminded me to include antihistamines in the first aid kit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back