• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Update 9 April 2015 -- Everybody Is A Comedian

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
9 April 2015 -- Burgos to Hontanas 31.1 km --Weather Started Out Great -- Then Rain : (

So after yesterday's epic distance I figured I was good to go -- well woke up and my whole body was hurting -- so slow start -- 0840 -- Getting out of big cities is always a challenge for me -- but this time no wrong turns -- but it was like a really big city and it took forever. Should have taken a cab.

Burgos forward -- not as cool as the before Burgos routes (unless you are into rocks and sheep droppings -- lots of sheep droppings) -- it was mainly walking on rocky roads -- that later on in the day turned into muddy roads -- I forgot how heavy your boots get with mud clinging to them.

It was a really painful walk -- mainly on the energy level - left foot arch actually did not cause any pain, but got some in the shin (may have had the tops of the boot too tight, so adjusted) - Right foot -- still got the blister on the heel, but padded that puppy so was not uncomfortable -- and with only 300 meters to go, pinched a back nerve -- so taken it easy tonight and depending on how I feel tomorrow, may cut down the kms -- can make them up later -- so a half zero day sounds like a potential.

Everybody is a Comedian, even if they don't know it -- Last night when I was getting my room in Burgos, the young Hostel Clerk was showing me the place -- he told me that I could use the gym facilities for free if I wanted too -- ok -- lets lay this out -- 40 kms -- I told him thanks, but maybe in the morning -- yeah right - like that was going to happen.

The Meseta -- how to describe the Moon with rocky pastures -- ok -- The Meseta --just when you think you are at the top of the hill, mountain, high ground (choose your poison) -- you are not -- it keeps on going up and then when you get to the top -- it continues to go on until at some point it goes downhill -- and you get to do this twice -- 20 kms worth -- lots of time to think and reflect -- beauty in the solitude.

So as I am blitzing forward -- ok maybe not blitzing -- I am starting to run into different herds who started the Camino earlier than I did -- it is kind of weird -- I miss my original group -- this new group is interesting and nice -- and I think they have accepted me -- feeling like a foster child.

The Albegue I am staying at is really nice (Albergue Juan de Yepes -- highly recommend) -- great setup -- they have beer : ) . Learned an important thing today -- when you pay your 7 euros for the room immediately sign up for the Pilgrim's Dinner - I did not, so did not make the headcount -- so ordered from the Kitchen -- but -- was looking forward to getting to know more about my new Camino Family.

Ok that's it -- going to get my gear organized and go to bed --

One piece of equipment that I have used everyday -- plain old hanky -- never carried a hanky before this -- but best piece of kit I own (highly recommend you wash daily -- : ) ).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back