• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update albergues in Asturias

LTfit

Veteran Member
Just a heads-up for those walking now. There are two albergues closed and one new Albergue.

Closed (unsure when to reopen):

In Piñera (after Navia) in the old school house.
In Vilela (after Ribadeo)

New in Navia:
Albergue San Roque (see details card below)DSC_1980.JPG DSC_1980.JPG

Sorry, see I uploaded twice and don't know how to delete.

Also a note about the albergue privado in Luarca Villa de Luarca: if you want to reserve you must do so through internet and pay with a credit card (€11). We were going to stay at the albergue municipal about 2 km from Luarca and 1,5 km off the Camino but wanted to be in Luarca. We called 4x in 2 days and no one picks up (buzón lleno). When we arrived there was no more rooms and the owner was very unpleasant. We ended up going to Pensión Orion around the corner (€35 for 2).

Today in La Caridad municipal which looks quite new though small for €5. No kitchen but glasses and dishes and microwave. There is also a private close-by with bar but don't know the price.

Tomorrow via Tapia to Ribadeo then wherever we end up. Everyone recommends the route to Tapia.

If any more updates will post.

Cheers
LT

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How is the weather? Are you using your rain gear a lot?

Hate to say but for the last 4 days grey, drizzle and rain. Only saw the sun for 5 minutes. Per @peregrina2000 Laurie's accounts it was nice up to Saturday.

Last year I did parts of the Norte and late June and the weather was very nice - blue skies and pleasantly warm. You just don't know. Have my backpack cover on every day and my poncho in the rain yesterday.
Sure hope it improves!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hate to say but for the last 4 days grey, drizzle and rain. Only saw the sun for 5 minutes. Per @peregrina2000 Laurie's accounts it was nice up to Saturday.

Last year I did parts of the Norte and late June and the weather was very nice - blue skies and pleasantly warm. You just don't know. Have my backpack cover on every day and my poncho in the rain yesterday.
Sure hope it improves!
I left the Norte after walking on Friday into Oviedo, missed a bunch of bad weather days, and will start walking from Oviedo back up to the Norte at Avilés tomorrow, and the weather is looking pretty good. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow via Tapia to Ribadeo then wherever we end up. Everyone recommends the route to Tapia.

LFit the route via Tapia is lovely - well worth a bit of time to stop and explore the little town itself it was beautiful!

If you're staying in Ribadeo there were mixed reports in October last year that the Albergue was rather basic and a bit damp/mouldy.

For what it's worth we ended up stopping in Figueras just before Ribadeo (not because of the above we just like the smaller places). There is an excellent Albergue here with the nicest bunk beds I've ever slept in on a Camino. They also have private rooms and all scrupulously clean. The Hospitalera was incredibly friendly and helpful with a lovely lounge and fireplace, home cooked meal and great coffee: https://www.gronze.com/asturias/figueras/albergue-camino-norte

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed at Alberque Camino de Norte in Figueras the other day and will second KatWanderlusts positive comments about it.

In addition to recommending the side trip to Tapia, I highly recommend walking the coastal path from Ribadeo to As Catedras. It's spectacular and well worth a day away from the "official" Camino IMHO.

If the pilgrim alberque in Ribadeo is not to your liking, I stayed at Hostal Puente Dos Santos. It was spotlessly clean, reasonably priced and pilgrim-oriented.

Hi all,
Now in Gontón in the Xunta Albergue which is quite modern. Yesterday in the Refugio de Gonzón after a crazy up and down for 47 km! We left La Caridad thinking that we would stay in Vilela as a pilgrim called and was told it was open. NOT! We arrived there after 30+ km only to be told that the next municipal was in Gonzón! Tough day to say the least. Luckily there was a bar in Vilela for a welcome Clara. We were told that the albergue will not open this season.

Tapia is a gem. And the sun came out to boot! Dank @Luka for the good wishes - it worked (at least for yesterday).

We only had coffee in Tapia but visited the donativo albergue which is basically but just fine - right on the coast which is spectacular!
I just LOVED the walk from Tapia to Ribadeo.

Now since we are a bit out of sinc, not sure where to tomorrow.

Today grey again but temps are to rise tomorrow.

Wanted to upload pics but having a problem.

Cheers and will update along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just getting up and checking the weather, which looks very good. We spent the night in the absolutely 5 star Albergue casa carmina in Muros de Nalon. One of those albergues that radiates care and attention. 15€ is a bargain for the lovely place. Food is excellent too. There are a few individual rooms as well I believe.

I second your vote for Casa Carmina as I too stayed here and was really impressed.

Further down the road I stayed in Alberque Abadin (private) last night which was another outstanding facility. The owner and his wife were incredibly kind and helpful which to me is almost as important as having the latest and greatest creature comforts. Another good deal for 15E - including free coffee, tea, fresh fruit and cookies.

Hi all,
Yesterday in the Refugio de Gonzón after a crazy up and down for 47 km!
My goodness! :eek:
The albergues on the Norte are full of surprises, so it seems.
Wish you sunshine! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,
After Gonzón 33 km to Xunta Albergue in Gontón. Nice, fairly new and nice Hospitalero who even speaks English. Two bars in Gonzón and two supermarkets, a private Albergue and a pension in Abadín 600 m further on the Camino.

Yesterday walked Gonzón - Vilalba - Baarmonde 40 km. Originally planned on staying in Vilalba but arrived so early so decided to walk on. Leaving Gontón it was about 17 degrees with mist but 4 hours later we had blasting sun and 36 degrees. In Baarmonde a shop owner said that this is unheard of in Galicia.

Today a short day Baamonde - Roxica (25 km), 15 km after Miraz. (see picture) Staying at a really nice, small albergue in the countryside with a working farm. €11.00, only 12 beds. Casa Roxía. Wanted to stay in Miraz with the English but it was only 9.15. Given the rising temps I'm glad I didn't walk the 40 km to Sobrado.

Tomorrow planning on taking the alternative route to Santa Irene to avoid Arzua.

Buen Camino to all that come after.

Attachments

• DSC_2107.JPG
    DSC_2107.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back