• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update: CP with 6 very special people

Emia

"Only" twentyfive weeks to go and step by step we are getting ready for takeoff.

Last year I walked from Pamplona to León and then took the train to SdC. Being the most important items, I immediately collected our credenciales and shells at the pilgrims' office :D

My colleague and I had some meetings with our headmanager, and he is very enthousiastic and supportive about the idea. He promised us his full assistance. Our institution is willing to pay the costs of our flights; several huge campaigns were started to collect donations for our participants' gear; other coworkers are donating spare coins for "luxury" like the occasional use of a washing machine and dryer, or a sundae for all after a very long day... We are still on a very tight budget regarding lodging and food, but it's doable.

One point of concern is the general state of the participants. I'm not really concerned about their walking condition - while walking they will build up strength; we are starting with 3 days of 10 (Porto - Matosinhos), 11 (Matosinhos - Lavra) and 13 (Lavra - Vila do Conde) kilometers, and towards the end of the Camino they all should be able to do two dayhikes of 20 km. But we'll have to deal with anorexia, aggression towards themselves (cutting and carving), reluctance of showering, huge feelings of inferiority, transgender issues, extreme hypochondria and the stubbornness of a 3 years old toddler (who is in fact 19 years old).

And the idea of sharing a mixed dorm (and bathroom!) is also freaking them out. I made as much reservations as possible (either in an 8-bed dorm or in 4 double rooms), but on 2 or 3 occasions we will have to stay in an albergue municipal because there is no affordable alternative.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, sweating and cursing: "Dear God, why me? Why do you want me to go on the Camino with 1 completely inexperienced colleague and 6 very special people?" Apart from all other issues, I will have to teach them how to pee and to shit in the woods. And that's only the beginning....

Is this a burden? Is this a gift? Only time will tell :)

20170930_202927.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Only" twentyfive weeks to go and step by step we are getting ready for takeoff.

Last year I walked from Pamplona to León and then took the train to SdC. Being the most important items, I immediately collected our credenciales and shells at the pilgrims' office :D

My colleague and I had some meetings with our headmanager, and he is very enthousiastic and supportive about the idea. He promised us his full assistance. Our institution is willing to pay the costs of our flights; several huge campaigns were started to collect donations for our participants' gear; other coworkers are donating spare coins for "luxury" like the occasional use of a washing machine and dryer, or a sundae for all after a very long day... We are still on a very tight budget regarding lodging and food, but it's doable.

One point of concern is the general state of the participants. I'm not really concerned about their walking condition - while walking they will build up strength; we are starting with 3 days of 10 (Porto - Matosinhos), 11 (Matosinhos - Lavra) and 13 (Lavra - Vila do Conde) kilometers, and towards the end of the Camino they all should be able to do two dayhikes of 20 km. But we'll have to deal with anorexia, aggression towards themselves (cutting and carving), reluctance of showering, huge feelings of inferiority, transgender issues, extreme hypochondria and the stubbornness of a 3 years old toddler (who is in fact 19 years old).

And the idea of sharing a mixed dorm (and bathroom!) is also freaking them out. I made as much reservations as possible (either in an 8-bed dorm or in 4 double rooms), but on 2 or 3 occasions we will have to stay in an albergue municipal because there is no affordable alternative.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, sweating and cursing: "Dear God, why me? Why do you want me to go on the Camino with 1 completely inexperienced colleague and 6 very special people?" Apart from all other issues, I will have to teach them how to pee and to shit in the woods. And that's only the beginning....

View attachment 40817
It'

View attachment 40817
I hope all goes well and l

View attachment 40817
I hope all will go well and it ends up being a gift! Nine years ago, in my 60s

View attachment 40817
Good luck and I hope it turns out to be a special gift!

Hi Emia, good to see you back and to read about your concrete plans!
I do sympathise with you all ( working myself in mental health ) and I will be rooting for everyone of you.

I must not tell you how important it is for you both adults to coordinate it all. Hope you have a direct phone line with co-workers at home?

Don't want to rain on your parade but do you have a plan B when one of the youngsters really cannot cope for whatever reason ? Can someone come over and help out?

Again : all the best and do keep us informed if possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@ SabineP (and @ all other members): please do rain on my parade - that keeps me edged & focussed.

We don't have a plan B since none of our co-workers is going to drive all the way from Germany to pick up the pieces on the CP. That means we'll have to deal with all upcoming issues on a daily basis. But I've walked the CP four times before (including the coastal route), so hopefully I know what I'm doing o_O

It's not how I do my caminos when I'm by myself, but in this case I booked nearly all our lodgings (except the albergues municipal in Caminha, Valenca and Portela de Barro). IMHO the participants will have a huge benefit from the experience of sleeping in a "real" albergue (when it doesn't kill them, it makes them stronger LOL), but in general they need the security of a double room or an 8-bed dorm, in which we are "among ourselves".

I scheduled 2 surprises: on the fourth day we'll take the bus from Vila do Conde to Vila Praia de Ancora (to give their feet a break), and after seeing the sights in Valenca (fortress) we have a 6 km "stroll in the park" to Tui. In Tui and in Caldas de Reis we'll have a resting day.

Apart from Portela de Barro all our legs start and end in towns with either a bus- or a train connection to the next town. It's my colleague's first Camino, so I want her to walk & enjoy as much as possible - which means I'll be the one to take the bus or train when a participant decides to strike. That won't be easy for me - I'll just have to remind myself of the fact that I'm not on my own private Camino, but on duty. Unfortunately that also counts for my daily cerveza & vino tinto :eek: Of course our participants (only when over 18!) and my cohort can enjoy an occasional beer or red wine, but since I'm the only one who speaks a mouthful of Spanish and English, it's going to be me who'll has to deal with emerging problems - so I'd better stay sober at all times, just in case.

In the next couple of weeks my colleague and I will have to discuss items like food on the camino and medication in case of emergency. I'll keep you informed!

Thank you all for reading & taking part.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You mention several campaigns to collect donations. Can you indicate a site/address to donate on/to???

And I am intrigued to know the name of your institution. Being German/British/European myself. Or maybe this is against the forum rules.....

Wow, what a gift you are! May all be well and I agree, may all the Camino angels, both earthly and heavenly, and Santiago guide and assist you!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.