• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on Cathedral repairs

peregrina2000

Staff member
According to La Voz de Galicia, the scaffolding is scheduled to come down next spring. http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...iro-siguen-primavera/0003_201411G30P42992.htm

Actually, one of the scaffolds could come down now, the article says, but they have decided to leave it up there just so they can use the rainy season to test the repairs and make sure there is no leakage.

Another article says that the total restoration will not be done till the next Holy Year, 2021. http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...iago-prolongara-2021/0003_201411G30P42991.htm

If I'm reading this right, the total expected cost of the restoration is 30 million euros. I know that's a lot of money, but I was surprised it wasn't a lot more. Apparently, part of the problem is prioritizing the repairs since there is so much in such a bad and dangerous state. Let's hope this all goes well. May we all walk into Santiago in 2021 to enjoy the finished product! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes. I'm taking a number of first-timers and it's a shame they won't see the cathedral in it's full glory. But it is still an awesome place.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Next Spring is not too long to wait .... and provides a good excuse, sorry reason to go again !

Hmm ... we'll be arriving late March, 24th or 25th, any chance the covers will be gone by then? I have seen it before but my OH hasn't and he would love it! To me the plaza in front of the Cathedral is a more emotional place but still. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Thanks perigrina's 2000,
I have absolutely no regrets about about my first Camino earlier this year. Whilst I was a little disappointed to see the scaffolding when I arrived it really made no difference to me.
Next year, (probably the 8th June) I hope to arrive in SDC and see the Cathedral 'unclothed':D
Meanwhile, there is a song on the television right now by a young man called George Ezra called Budapest that takes me right back to my Camino and beautiful, beautiful memories that will last my whole life through.:p

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks perigrina's 2000,
I have absolutely no regrets about about my first Camino earlier this year. Whilst I was a little disappointed to see the scaffolding when I arrived it really made no difference to me.
Next year, (probably the 8th June) I hope to arrive in SDC and see the Cathedral 'unclothed':D
Meanwhile, there is a song on the television right now by a young man called George Ezra called Budapest that takes me right back to my Camino and beautiful, beautiful memories that will last my whole life through.:p

I felt the same way when I saw the scaffolding. A bit disappointed, but now I feel lucky that I was able to see it! We fortunate pilgrims got to see first hand what it takes to keep such a structure around for almost a thousand years!

That being said, I can't wait to see the cathedral without her clothes on in a few years!

I have never seen the cathedral without scaffolding! It is always covered for the fiesta!;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Laurie - when you say "next spring" do you mean 2015 0r 2016? The North Tower has been finished for some time. The word here is that we will see it soon - vamos a ver!

Well, that article I linked to said only that the announced date of spring 2015 has now become impossible. No time was given. But if you don't know about it, maybe the article is wrong. We can hope anyway!

I'm planning my journey since 2013 and finally will be going from Tui to Santiago in April 2015. Does anyone have a recent image of the Cathedral? Would like to see it so I prepare for the scaffolding!

Hola Laurie - when you say "next spring" do you mean 2015 0r 2016? The North Tower has been finished for some time. The word here is that we will see it soon - vamos a ver!

Just saw this article with the news that there is now an exhibition that describes and shows pictures of the whole renovation project. http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...dral-muestra-secretos/0003_201508S1C49916.htm

I wish it had been there a few weeks ago (or maybe it was and I missed it). According to the article, there is a part for kids and a part for adults, and it explains the deterioration and the plan to remedy it. AND the exhibition is in the Palace of Xelmirez, which is one of the best examples of civil (ie not religious) romanesque architecture in Spain. It is one of my favorite places in Santiago, right next door to the cathedral.

Buen camino, Laurie

Has there been an update on when the scaffolding will be removed?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope it will be gone by the time I arrive end of March/beginning of April. A pilgrim can hope ... Buen Camino, SY

I did a little hunting on the Voz de Galicia and it looks like we shouldn't get our hopes up. Work on the Quintana side will begin soon (with no interruptions to people going through the Puerta Santa).

According to this article, the scaffolding on the Obradoiro side of the cathedral is going to be there "indefinitely." A big unexpected problem was found in the south tower, the one that remains in scaffolding.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...da-andamios-ano-2021/0003_201510S26C19911.htm

The sentence that sums it all up:
Ello quiere decir que, inevitablemente, tanto el exterior como el interior de la Catedral van a estar llenos de andamios hasta el año 2020.
(This means that inevitably, both the interior and the exterior of the Cathedral will be full of scaffolding until 2020).

But thank goodness they are doing the work after all these centuries of neglect.

Yes whilst I am slightly disappointed that the scaffolding will be there I am greatly appreciative that it IS there

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.