• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on Cuenca -Burgos

peregrina2000

Staff member
Today @C clearly and I visited the Cuenca amigos office. We did not stay in the albergue, but wanted to check in and say hi and thanks for all the work done by so many amigos groups. As luck would have it one of the people there had just finished walking from Cuenca to Burgos. He gave us a lot of detailed information about changes and new developments. I will write more about this when I am back home, but for now, in case anyone is going to walk in the near future, this document could be very helpful.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://...uxwmFW3IuR9A9GLVbEirbAKx09OFFbM85Tv4WvbHVOya$

I haven’t digested it, or even read it carefully, but two things jumped out at me as I was listening to him talk. First, it is now impossible to walk up to the Tetas de Viana, because the metal staircase has collapsed. And second, the son of the bar owner in Caracena is turning a building there into a Casa Rural. I believe this is the same person are used to let pilgrims stay for free in his house and then left town and closed it up. So it sounds like a good development.

We had a nice rain today in Cuenca, nowhere near what is needed, but a good start

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have yet to walk beyond Cuenca on the Lana, but that all sounds promising and welcome news. Luis the hospi/amigo was very helpful when I was there, I hope he's still involved in promoting the way..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today @C clearly and I visited the Cuenca amigos office. We did not stay in the albergue, but wanted to check in and say hi and thanks for all the work done by so many amigos groups. As luck would have it one of the people there had just finished walking from Cuenca to Burgos. He gave us a lot of detailed information about changes and new developments. I will write more about this when I am back home, but for now, in case anyone is going to walk in the near future, this document could be very helpful.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://...uxwmFW3IuR9A9GLVbEirbAKx09OFFbM85Tv4WvbHVOya$

I haven’t digested it, or even read it carefully, but two things jumped out at me as I was listening to him talk. First, it is now impossible to walk up to the Tetas de Viana, because the metal staircase has collapsed. And second, the son of the bar owner in Caracena is turning a building there into a Casa Rural. I believe this is the same person are used to let pilgrims stay for free in his house and then left town and closed it up. So it sounds like a good development.

We had a nice rain today in Cuenca, nowhere near what is needed, but a good start
The son of the bar owner is a trained chef and is opening up a restaurant in the bar, we stayed in their house in March, the house is is nearly finished. Please support them, it was probably my favorite village of the whole trip.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did not stay in the albergue,
Actually a very nice albergue. Give Luis our regards. As we walked into Cuenca last May, he was standing on the steps of the library waiting for us having been informed by a friend that two pilgrims were approaching. Are you going to pass through Siquenza? A nice little town with an interesting cathedral and a Romanesque museum/information centre in an old church. And say hi to Pauli and Pepe in Vilaconejos de Trabaque. We are extremely jealous. Buen camino.

Thanks peregrina2000 for your update as we will walk this camino beginning september. Info is welcome. Buen camino !

I have yet to walk beyond Cuenca on the Lana, but that all sounds promising and welcome news. Luis the hospi/amigo was very helpful when I was there, I hope he's still involved in promoting the way..
He definitely is! I asked Laurie and @C clearly to stop by and give him mis  saludos. He sent me a picture of the two in front of the albergue. He also placed the foto on the Lana Facebook page mentioning the visit of two holandesas😂.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
two things jumped out at me as I was listening to him talk. First, it is now impossible to walk up to the Tetas de Viana, because the metal staircase has collapsed. And second, the son of the bar owner in Caracena is turning a building there into a Casa Rural. I believe this is the same person are used to let pilgrims stay for free in his house and then left town and closed it up. So it sounds like a good development.

Tetas de Viana: that is bad news. One of the highlights of my walk last year. The metal staircase was in good nick then. I wonder how it could have collapsed?

Caracena: good news, indeed. One of the places I would have liked to spend a little more time in and a convenient stop between Retortillo and San Estseban. One for the future? It wasn't available last week.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back