• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on Dave Bugg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have had contact with Dave Bugg on occasion and just yesterday I received a long email from him describing a recent health crisis he has been going through. Although Dave is a more introverted and private person, he has given me permission to share it publicly with forum members at my request. I will paraphrase a portion in order to condense, but also quote him directly.

Dave has been diagnosed with a life threatening disease and has just returned home to Eastern Washington state after spending six weeks at a specialty clinic in Ohio undergoing tertiary treatment. I do not know his official diagnosis.

Coming back home Dave found it a bit disorienting at getting centered, and he will need to travel back to Ohio to continue more treatments after his body has a chance to recover from this first grueling round of treatment protocols. He may need to be gone over Thanksgiving and Christmas if further surgeries are required and new treatment protocols added to the mix.

In Dave's own words...
"In reality, my chances for recovery are not so bright, but the arsenal of treatment options is good, so as long as I feel quality of life can be maintained I will keep up the fight. Right now, compared to last year when doing the Camino Ingles with Jill, the loss of physical capabilities and normalcy, as of today, is appalling to me. Even my dog, Sam, had trouble recognizing me at first glance.🙂"

Dave had planned to walk the Katy Trail pilgrimage route in Missouri with his son, Caleb, this fall, staying at a variety of lodgings along the way. If his health permits, Dave would still love to do that pilgrimage come spring. His impression is that as an alternative to a European Camino, it would be a grand adventure, and keep much of the familiar type of daily 'stages' as the Camino.

"I do hope that the option to go to Europe for Camino becomes viable for you again. I have not read the Forum for a while, but I do miss participating and interacting with Forum Friends like yourself. Given the direction God has taken my life recently, I ponder the thought of whether to re-join. . .
Pass on my good wishes to those on the Forum you are in contact with. . . I miss you all. 😀

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

I am posting with permission the email address he had posted himself on the forum last June should any one wish to say hello or let him know they are praying for him.
Dave1bugg@gmail.com

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had contact with Dave Bugg on occasion and just yesterday I received a long email from him describing a recent health crisis he has been going through. Although Dave is a more introverted and private person, he has given me permission to share it publicly with forum members at my request. I will paraphrase a portion in order to condense, but also quote him directly.

Dave has been diagnosed with a life threatening disease and has just returned home to Eastern Washington state after spending six weeks at a specialty clinic in Ohio undergoing tertiary treatment. I do not know his official diagnosis.

Coming back home Dave found it a bit disorienting at getting centered, and he will need to travel back to Ohio to continue more treatments after his body has a chance to recover from this first grueling round of treatment protocols. He may need to be gone over Thanksgiving and Christmas if further surgeries are required and new treatment protocols added to the mix.

In Dave's own words...
"In reality, my chances for recovery are not so bright, but the arsenal of treatment options is good, so as long as I feel quality of life can be maintained I will keep up the fight. Right now, compared to last year when doing the Camino Ingles with Jill, the loss of physical capabilities and normalcy, as of today, is appalling to me. Even my dog, Sam, had trouble recognizing me at first glance.🙂"

Dave had planned to walk the Katy Trail pilgrimage route in Missouri with his son, Caleb, this fall, staying at a variety of lodgings along the way. If his health permits, Dave would still love to do that pilgrimage come spring. His impression is that as an alternative to a European Camino, it would be a grand adventure, and keep much of the familiar type of daily 'stages' as the Camino.

"I do hope that the option to go to Europe for Camino becomes viable for you again. I have not read the Forum for a while, but I do miss participating and interacting with Forum Friends like yourself. Given the direction God has taken my life recently, I ponder the thought of whether to re-join. . .
Pass on my good wishes to those on the Forum you are in contact with. . . I miss you all. 😀

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

I am posting with permission the email address he had posted himself on the forum last June should any one wish to say hello or let him know they are praying for him.
Dave1bugg@gmail.com

Thanks for beautiful write-up CC.

May @Davebugg find health, strength, love, peace, and light during this hour of quiet darkness.

Buen camino him.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe it is good to make the mail address less robot-readable... something like "[hisname]1bugg AT gmail . com" so that davebugg does not get many spams because of posting the address here. If someone does not understand this "encrypted" mail he / she could still ask and get the answer in a personal message.
Or just share the info that you could share the mail in a personal message.

Thank you for sharing.
@davebugg, best wishes for your recovery!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
I have woken up to this heartbreaking and well written post. Thank you for posting it.
Some of the most helpful, humble and most informative posts were written by Dave. Long in.length and packed with useful equipment information trialled by someone with vast experience who knew what he was talking about.
I used to read Dave's posts avidly.....one of my camino/forum heroes.
I wish you well Dave...I wish you so much more.

Thank you Dave and Chrissy. Its an old saying that a problem shared is a problem halved. In this case, even those of with lesser but similar diagnosies, can really feel for Dave. Brother you are in our thoughts. Chin up,. Cheers

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com

Best wishes to Dave.

I know it was at his request, but it’s always a shame to see his previous posts simply attributed to a ‘deleted member’. His thoughtful, detailed and informative posts on equipment, especially, deserve lasting credit.

Maybe it is good to make the mail address less robot-readable... something like "[hisname]1bugg AT gmail . com" so that davebugg does not get many spams
This is a secondary email Dave had set up especially for interaction with forum members. Thank you for your concern Martin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
I will hold Dave in my prayers 🙏

Oh Chrissy - this is terribly sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with Dave and his family at this difficult time. Dave has always given excellent advice and all the time and effort he put into the Forum is much appreciated by me and of course countless other Forum members.
He is a true pilgrim in every way.
I send him healing vibes and best, best wishes -
With love from Oz -
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I do not know Dave personally but we have shared a few pm's and I always enjoyed reading whatever he posted. We all know what great advice he has given all of us. I have also been able to ascertain that his private life seemed to be dedicated to helping others also. In my heart I feel that @Davebugg will be back with us one day. You are walking a different kind of Camino now and so much tougher than any we have walked in Spain. But I know you will get to Santiago stronger and with more purpose than ever. The wisdom you find on this Camino will be a great lesson for us all. Ultreia!!!!

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
Noooooo, I hope he can endure the treatments and that it may all be worth the suffering to come out the other end with a new lease of life.
May he be blessed with strength and compassion to endure, and for all his family and friends too. It just goes to show how fragile life can be, one day it's there in all it's glory and possibilities, the next there is a challenge of life threatening significance. I am deeply moved by hearing this news about someone I have never met, yet feel a companion spirit reaches out from him to us and from us to him.

I'm so saddened to read this news. Dave has been selfless and generous with his time, his expertise, and his concern for others. I always looked forward to his posts and found them filled with solid, useful information, but always with a warm and personal touch.

My prayers and best wishes offered for him. May his medical team find the effective treatment he needs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been reading all the many replies written on this thread to Dave and they so eloquently express my own thoughts. I am so glad that he allowed me to share this news with this forum family and the many responses have brought me to tears. Each and every post speaks in some capacity of "who he is"...a remarkable man.
I quickly think of all the lengthy, helpful posts he has written, his trip to the Indian reservation to help during covid, and the many loaves of bread he enjoyed baking to share in the surrounding area where he lives.

I have been reading all the many replies written on this thread to Dave and they so eloquently express my own thoughts. I am so glad that he allowed me to share this news with this forum family and the many responses have brought me to tears. Each and every post speaks in some capacity of "who he is"...a remarkable man.
I quickly think of all the lengthy, helpful posts he has written, his trip to the Indian reservation to help during covid, and the many loaves of bread he enjoyed baking to share in the surrounding area where he lives.
As I suspected...a man who walked the walk.

Thank you Camino Chrissy for posting this update and for the email address. I didn't know that Dave was ill, and saddened to read that he has a tough time ahead. Like many others here, I have always valued Dave's generous and informed posts. I will send him an email message of course, but will also light a virtual candle in the cathedral in Santiago. David posted this message several years ago but as I don't know how to paste a link to it I am copy pasting his information for any one else who wants to have a light burn for Dave in a place that means a lot to him.

'Hi all - now, you most likely already know about this but I have just discovered it.

One can light a candle in the cathedral - a virtual candle that burns for 48 hours - are asked to leave the reason why - and it is free, though you may make a donation. There are currently candles lit from people in 81 countries.

The main page states - "Lighting a candle is a gesture of spirituality around the world. Take a moment to think about your intentions for lighting a virtual candle: saying a prayer, honouring your loved ones who have passed away, in solidarity with a cause, a promise, a personal intention or to congratulate a friend."

go here - https://velas.catedraldesantiago.es/en '

Gee Whiz Dave - Hit me with your walking pole - this is not the news I wanted to hear.

Like many others here no doubt, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you Dave but funnily enough I feel as though I know you as do many others on this forum.

Let me tell you that your very insightful posts, experiences and advice was with me for every step of the three Caminos that we've been lucky enough to be able to do thus far.

I always looked forward to your posts - you have helped many, many of us and for your help and advice, I thank you very much.

As you say, Dave. you have a fight on your hands and you are going to keep up the fight.

Please be assured that fighting with you in your corner are all of us collectively and when the going gets tough please feel the strength of our collective thoughts and prayers and our willing you through your treatment protocols.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for an update from time to time and hoping that in time, you will be able to resume walking your Caminos. In the meantime, walking your beloved dog, Sam seems to be a good option to try to keep your fitness.

All the best for now

Graham

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
Thank you for posting this information CC. I have wondered what happened to Dave. I too loved to read his information about varying Camino/walking issues. My prayers go out to Dave and his family.

Best wishes to Dave and his family at this difficult time.
Was wondering very recently about him as I've missed his extremely informative posts and always marvelled at the time he put into them with so much care, patience and thoughtful help for everyone.
God bless for a good recovery from your illness Dave 👣💞
Thank you for sharing Chrissy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
thank-you for posting, and thank you, Dave, for sharing. I have missed your posts and insights-- You are in my prayers.

Sorry to read the news but glad that it was shared. Also glad to read that there are treatment options and hopeful that they may be effective and provide a good quality of life for however much remains. Dave was always a hugely valued member of this community and his loss to us has been felt keenly. You quote him as saying "Given the direction God has taken my life recently, I ponder the thought of whether to re-join. . ." Certainly he would be most welcome were he to return. But, of course, especially in the new circumstances you describe, he will want to think carefully about how and where to spend his time remaining.

As, I suppose, should we all. For we all have limited time left to us.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I never met him in person but feel I know him and have missed his posts since he left. This is indeed sad news and he is with me in my prayers. He will be walking with me in my thoughts when I finally get to the camino next year. I have hope that he will get better and will always welcome his posts, should he come back, even if on occasion.

I am hoping we are all mindful to keep Dave in the present tense
If this is referring to my post, references to Dave currently certainly belong in the present tense. All too unfortunately, references to his contribution and participation in the forums are in the past tense. Although he has given us a glimmer of hope that this may change. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Please tell Dave that, even he is presently not active on the board, his threads are still active. His long informational posts are still linked to when people ask related questions. He continues to be an important resource here and new people all the time write in to thank him for his information that was invaluable to them on their first caminos. I want him to know he continues to contribute on the forum in this way!

If this is referring to my post, references to Dave currently certainly belong in the present tense. All too unfortunately, references to his contribution and participation in the forums are in the past tense. Although he has given us a glimmer of hope that this may change. :)
Thank you David... you are correct. I think all of us are wishing him the best

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
“ I [Dave]I have not read the Forum for a while, but I do miss participating and interacting with Forum Friends like yourself. Given the direction God has taken my life recently, I ponder the thought of whether to re-join. . .

Dave, we all certainly respect whatever you need to do at this time to take of yourself. I had a very rare type of Sarcoma 25 years ago, where only about 12 percent of people who contract it, survive. I withdrew for a while as I needed my strength to deal with it internally.

May I join the choir of pilgrims who appreciates your expertise, and even more your generosity, kindness,humility and spirituality. We would love you to return to the forum! There is a season, and a time, and we hope at some point you may be able to rejoin us! Love, Marlene

Thanks for letting us know Dave is facing a medical challenge. He is in my thoughts and prayers as I put on the hiking shoes he recommended for my daily walk.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yesterday I received an email from Dave Bugg and do not think he would mind me sharing this portion with all of you. Thank you everyone for you voices of encouragement and compassion expressed to him. All your replies have touched me as well.
I am quoting...

"I just finished reading the thread you started, and I am beyond words. I had no idea of the way so many Forum members viewed my participation. . . . it brought a flood of tears as I read through the posts, and from the wonderful emails. I feel undeserving and humbled by their outpouring.

I am grateful for your starting the Thread, Chris. . . the responses have truly lifted and brightened my spirits."

Thank you for this thread @Camino Chrissy it is good to get news of davebugg even if it's not the news we'd choose for him. As someone who has used this forum as my primary source of Camino related information I quickly appreciated all posts from Dave. Being helpful always underpinned what he wrote and I value his advice enormously.

I wish him the very best in this difficult journey he's now on and will certainly have him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Yesterday I received an email from Dave Bugg and do not think he would mind me sharing this portion with all of you. Thank you everyone for you voices of encouragement and compassion expressed to him. All your replies have touched me as well.
I am quoting...

"I just finished reading the thread you started, and I am beyond words. I had no idea of the way so many Forum members viewed my participation. . . . it brought a flood of tears as I read through the posts, and from the wonderful emails. I feel undeserving and humbled by their outpouring.

I am grateful for your starting the Thread, Chris. . . the responses have truly lifted and brightened my spirits."
Well, Dave, I always paid attention when I saw you had written something, because I knew it would be helpful. Please receive my warmest compassion and thoughts for a good outcome of the battle you are in now. I hope for a swift return to your family in here on the Forum. You are missed, and we want you back in here amongst your similar-minded. Warm regards from Arctic Norway.

Last edited:
I am quoting...

David, old chap ... it is about love you know. You are loved, cherish this.

You are in my prayers you old fart ;) , may the Good God bless you. ❤️❤️❤️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
My best wishes for Dave Bugg. Buen Camino

I’ll add to the accolades and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

I own a Gossamer Gear backpack based on Dave’s various gear postings and personal PMs. Hopefully I’ll get to use it on camino in the next year.

🌻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

In Dave's own words...

My warmest Regards,
Dave"

Dave1bugg@gmail.com
Thank you, Camino Chrissy, I have taken the opportunity you provided to email Dave separately, just to let him know how much his posts and wisdom have meant to me in my Camino journey.
But, I also want to join with others, more eloquent than I, who have expressed thanks to you for writing about Dave's challenges and courage. It all seems to provide the perfect image of that Camino Family concept we hear about, read about: here it is in action, we are all drawn together. Thanks to you and prayers for Dave.

Thankyou Chrissy for the updates and many best wishes to Dave and his family and hoping for a smooth journey to wellness. You are so missed on this forum, Dave. I too, read and looked forward to your so informative contributions learning so much more about shoes, foot care, equipment etc enabling me to make more informed choices. Take care, Dave, you are in our thoughts. Linda x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(Duplicate posting to one I made in Band of Trudgers)

When I was in touch with @Davebugg recently I promised him I'd leave a stone for him at the Cruz de Ferro on my Virtual Camino and here it is:

1604417858054.jpeg

currently residing here:

1604417890641.jpeg

And can be found behind the "Main Building"

1604417918848.jpeg

If you're visiting Canterbury UK, in real life or virtually, the coordinates are

51°19'35.71"N 1° 4'42.76"E

Buen Camino to all and especially to David

I have promised prayers for Dave, as for some others on the forum. Here is a photo of our mantelpiece with a variety of objects. On the left, a wonderful Celtic Cross, once owned by Berna, who is now flying around with all the saints on their new drones. Perhaps finally, they can have that eternal rest...and let the drones do the work😇. Next, three battery operated candles. They are the locus and the focus of my prayer list. I need the list, so I do not forget anyone. Too many times have I worried as to whether or not I blew out the prayer candle...
next, a framed picture of a holy cow. Not really, but another gift, from a fellow Scot. It amuses me to have it on the mantelpiece. In front, a little lamb, just because. A photo, it could have been taken on any Camino, but I do not know its provenance. Finally, a clock. A clock with its own story. When I began to work with asylum seekers, teaching English, I used to pretend not to know the time, to give practice in telling the time in English. Cut to the chase: at Christmas, the group gave me this clock. No danger of not knowing the time...
Al of the above, prologue to my commitment to praying for the return to health of Dave, and anyone else I have promised to pray for.
F34BC59F-30E2-4191-B526-7F575FD6D02D.jpeg

If anyone would like to light a candle and say a prayer "in" the Santiago cathedral for David you can do it here for free -

https://velas.catedraldesantiago.es/en

Just click on "light candle" and on the next page there is room for your petition or prayer before you light your candle, which stays lit for 48 hours ... it is a beautiful website, peaceful.

we cannot be there, but in this way, we can be there .....

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Last edited:
If anyone would like to light a candle and say a prayer "in" the Santiago cathedral for David you can do it here for free -

https://velas.catedraldesantiago.es/en

Just click on "light candle" and on the next page there is room for your petition or prayer before you light your candle, which stays lit for 48 hours ... it is a beautiful website, peaceful.

we cannot be there, but in this way, we can be there .....

❤️ ❤️ ❤️
In a recent email Dave said "I do miss all of you, and am grateful for all of your thoughts and prayers and wishes" so I'm sure this would be appreciated too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In these crazy times we need more Dave Buggs then ever, he is a generous man who has shared his knowledge and love of walking with all of us, I suspect a reflection of his love of life and mankind. I too miss seeing his name feature prominently with the definitely researched and written answers and am still waiting for a compiliation of his advice to be published - Dave Buggs "Theory of Life & Footcare"

I hear echos of Scott in the original post and understand only too well the desire to maintain quality of life during this difficult time, how typical of him to be advising of local walks and planning his next triip. Dave you are a giant of a man even now as you blaze a trail we all will follow at some point.

July 2 2020, just after the Covid lockdown was lifted, I came back to the CF to finish my Camino. I only had the guts because Dave Bugg gave me confidence with his wonderful analysis of superligth tent-possibilities. With just 550 grams extra in my backpack, as a back-up should albergues be closed, I made it to Santiago safely. Very grateful Dave, you really inspired me and gave me wings. I will light a candle for you🕯.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Always have enjoyed your posts Dave, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, hoping You will be back on the forum soon. 👣👣👣

Is there any News on Dave and his health?
He had a really nice Christmas with his family and his son, Caleb, whom he has walked the Frances with, had come up from Denver for the week.
Also, he was relieved to know that if any additional followup is needed it could be done in his local area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.