• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on using FlightRight if you've had an issue with airlines...

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
Follow-up to my recent post about using FlightRight.com. Something to think about if you’ve had problems with airlines. It is a legitimate organization that works on behalf of passengers.

The end of October I was on a delayed flight from Spain to western US. It was difficult and inconvenient, but it wasn’t a nightmare - but I lost my First Class seat on a connecting flight from JFK - as well as other inconveniences and costs - none of which were major...

I didn’t want to deal with American Airlines myself, so looked around for someone to do it for me - voila, FlightRight - a European company, therefore under EU Passenger Rights law which may be more consumer friendly than in the US.

It was very easy - even for me - to navigate and pull together what they needed. It didn’t take long, and off it went.

A couple of days ago, I received an email from them indicating that they were successful on my behalf, and the airline had paid my compensation. The money has now arrived in my PayPal account.

I did not ask for an amount - they told me, after receiving my information, what I could expect, and what their fee would be - 30%. And that’s what appeared at PayPal - in Euros. I knew PP would charge at least a conversion fee - but it’s still more than I expected ... I frequently have low expectations…

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Follow-up to my recent post about using FlightRight.com. Something to think about if you’ve had problems with airlines. It is a legitimate organization that works on behalf of passengers.

The end of October I was on a delayed flight from Spain to western US. It was difficult and inconvenient, but it wasn’t a nightmare - but I lost my First Class seat on a connecting flight from JFK - as well as other inconveniences and costs - none of which were major...

I didn’t want to deal with American Airlines myself, so looked around for someone to do it for me - voila, FlightRight - a European company, therefore under EU Passenger Rights law which may be more consumer friendly than in the US.

It was very easy - even for me - to navigate and pull together what they needed. It didn’t take long, and off it went.

A couple of days ago, I received an email from them indicating that they were successful on my behalf, and the airline had paid my compensation. The money has now arrived in my PayPal account.

I did not ask for an amount - they told me, after receiving my information, what I could expect, and what their fee would be - 30%. And that’s what appeared at PayPal - in Euros. I knew PP would charge at least a conversion fee - but it’s still more than I expected ... I frequently have low expectations…
Is this only for flights originating in the EU?

Is this only for flights originating in the EU?
I think the flight needs to originate or end in the EU, and the carrier needs to be registered in the EU. I just completed the information they asked for and was accepted. For complete information, best to read their website. It's pretty easy and straightforward.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Skybo - an adjustment to my reply to your question -- Important semantics ...any flights from an EU airport; and flights to an EU airport only when the airline has its (main) seat in an EU country.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ooh, splendid opportunity for a little lecture ... ;).

Delta Airlines Inc., United Airlines Inc. and American Airlines Inc. are companies that are incorporated in the USA, and they have their company headquarters in Atlanta, Chicago and Fort Worth. Therefore, delays and cancellations of their flights from the USA to an EU country are not covered. Opposite direction: Yes.

Quick and dirty rule of thumb: When it is an Inc. it is not an EU airline, unlike Lufthansa AG, Iberia SA, Air France SA, Air Lingus Ltd., TAP S.A., KLM NV. ☺️

However, I think that the point of this thread is: There is a right to financial compensation, and passenger rights companies or associations like Flightright are not a scam. Flighright btw is Flightright GmbH which means that it is a small company that is registered in one of the 27 EU countries.

Last edited:
Ooh, splendid opportunity for a little lecture ... ;).
However, I think that the point of this thread is: There is a right to financial compensation, and passenger rights companies or associations like Flightright are not a scam. Flighright btw is Flightright GmbH which means that it is a small company that is registered in one of the 27 EU countries.
Thank you so much 🙏 for this clarification!!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back