• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on walking in France, Le Puy

Peregrinita

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2016
Camino del Norte 2019
Le Puy (postponed 2020)
Greetings. I rarely see updates on the forum about walking in France this year and specifically about walking from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP. Most of the posts are very old. Can anyone share information about this route this year? Specifically, is it feasible given lockdowns, etc.? What is the latest on having your bags carried? I know of one service that was in business years ago but don’t know if it’s still is (Claudine). And are there lodging options somewhere between dormitory-style gites and expensive and over-pampering Chambres d’hôte? Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I opened your post eager to find some information too! Sorry, I cannot add any info on this, Walking in France is BEAUTIFUL, but with current restrictions, it might be quite expensive, a pity

I opened your post eager to find some information too! Sorry, I cannot add any info on this, Walking in France is BEAUTIFUL, but with current restrictions, it might be quite expensive, a pity
Thank you Amancio. We will keep our fingers crossed that we will get some more interest in this topic. Bon Chemin!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is news in French
as of 29/04/2021 re-deconfinement dates in France.

Perhaps this info might help you to plan your journey. Whenever you do go, Bon voyage.

Last edited:
It's feasible for those who can get to France from Monday onwards.

It might take a few days for the hostelry to reopen, but those able to travel speedily and maybe sleep outdoors occasionally could get going quite soon.

Bars and restaurants open outside from May 19th ; indoors from 19th June.

As to travelling in from outside the EU + EEA and UK, that's also from June 19th. (I'd suspect the UK date might be May 19th, as May 17th is the date when the UK will allow outbound travel)

There's currently a 7PM - 6AM curfew ; that becomes 9PM - 6AM on May 19th ; 11PM - 6AM on 19th June ; and ends from 30th June.

Inbound travel requires a "covid pass" (except land travel) -- i.e. "vaccine passport" or vaccination certificate or negative PCR.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's feasible for those who can get to France from Monday onwards.

It might take a few days for the hostelry to reopen, but those able to travel speedily and maybe sleep outdoors occasionally could get going quite soon.

Bars and restaurants open outside from May 19th ; indoors from 19th June.

As to travelling in from outside the EU + EEA and UK, that's also from June 19th. (I'd suspect the UK date might be May 19th, as May 17th is the date when the UK will allow outbound travel)

There's currently a 7PM - 6AM curfew ; that becomes 9PM - 6AM on May 19th ; 11PM - 6AM on 19th June ; and ends from 30th June.

Inbound travel requires a "covid pass" (except land travel) -- i.e. "vaccine passport" or vaccination certificate or negative PCR.
Thank you, JabbaPapa! Very helpful.

Does anyone have anything on bag carriage (I’m walking soon after back surgery and will have to ignore the condemning glances:) Would like to send ahead the heavier things in my bag.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport Claudine intends to operate from May to October 2021

Concerning the UK, there is another claim that travel to France from the UK will be possible from June 9th -- wait and see, I guess.

La Malle Postale is a good carrier. They still operating, they recently sent me e-mail

I used La Malle Postale from Le Puy to Cajarc or Moissac (not clear) because La Malle does go beyond that; so, from there I used Transport Claudine to St. Jean Pied de Port. Both carriers are good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used Transport Claudine as well to retrieve a forgotten item. I think it’s worth setting up your account in advance in case you might use them. Saves the panic when you desperately require them and have to struggle through their websites while on spotty cell service.

We walked Le Puy to SJPP in 2019 and were definitely in the minority when it came to carrying our packs! Most of the walkers we met were french who carried day packs and had their suitcases transported - nice clothes, hair dryers, dressing gowns - we were envious! I don't think you will get any condeming glances, infact they asked us why we bothered carrying ours!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This reminds me of the second time I walked the Le Puy, when I was met by a friend and her spouse at Moissac. She was planning to walk with me for a week or so, he was going elsewhere. At the last moment he changed his mind and decided to walk with us. Hilarious. He had no walking shoes, no hat, no backpack - but he did have a huge yellow duffle bag, that contained, among other things, a dinner jacket, and numerous cravats. And all kinds of other non-essentials. We called that bag the yellow peril and it followed us along all the way, by transport. There was no way anyone could carry it.

Last edited:
I used Transport Claudine as well to retrieve a forgotten item. I think it’s worth setting up your account in advance in case you might use them. Saves the panic when you desperately require them and have to struggle through their websites while on spotty cell service.
Thank you, Bill!

As to travelling in from outside the EU + EEA and UK, that's also from June 19th.
Hi,
Could you please let me know where you got the date of the 19th June from?
Had only heard hearsay that France might open June9th...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back