• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update to Heal Spurs and Micro tears and more oh My!!!

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
The latest in the saga that is my life. ☺ I know you guys were waiting so patiently 😉for an update so here goes lol.

Today I finally had my medical procedure Plasma Rich Platlet (PRP) Therapry to get relief for my heel spurs and micro tears in the plantiafacia (medical speak for my heel ) After driving over 1hr using said foot (right foot) I entered the vast waste land of my wishful optimism attempting to find a parking space. After driving around for what seem to be a millennia I am lucky to locate one outside the parking structure but far below and away from where I need to be, but who is complaining? Not me..there are way too may other people driving around in circles still looking for a parking space, i consider myself lucky today. In fact in Camino terms it might have been at least 3 km and no sign of a yellow arrow in sight. I gathered up my crutches hobbled across the parking lot across the Main Street across another parking lot pass the valet lot which was completely full and into the red building.

Oh by the way did I mention I’m not going to the red building ....I’m going to the brown building way down on the other side of the hospital. At this point I am basically in the rear of the hospital in another connected building. Did I mention that where I need to be was the front of the hospital close to the emergency room well that part is under construction ? Oh no? Well forget that it’s not important....well maybe just In case I need an ambulance after this mini camino 🤪

Any hoo I hobbled along the hallway up a ramp around a corner past the morgue around another corner, pass the mri, pass the kitchen, pass the loading dock, ( you are getting a picture now?) pass the vending to the elevators..a couple people were waiting and the elevator came and we all went in. The elevator Doors close ..uh ohhhh. A sudden jerk and then no movement. We were stuck.

Suddenly a lady on the other side of the elevator begins to panic. She starts pressing many buttons and spouting words. “Calm” I said to myself. And out loud I say “it’s no good to press many buttons at once” She continues on a rant. The rest of the people remained silent. As I press the open door button nothing happens but suffice it so say we were stuck for a few minutes but not for long. Someone pressed the attendant button but by then the door opens and out she went like someone set her shirt on fire. I told the attendant what happend that the rest of us would try again. Low and behold the door closed the elevator went up and I stepped out on my floor into the hallway. A minute later I’m hobbling down the hall I hear “ding” and behind me “ oh you made it”. I turned to see the panic lady from the elevator coming from the second elevator. I just smiled and nodded and went on my way. I could not help thinking with a chuckle, I’m about to get a giant needle in my foot...I have not time for panic in an elevator I’m Sure panic will surely come later.

So I wondered the halls of the hospital and finally found the post operative Podiatry clinic checked in..waited then was taken into to the treatment room, now I’m prepped and ready. We go thru the pleasantries, I sign the release just in case I die..I give my consent...and release their liability (hahah just joking 😜)

Now for the needles 🤐... one big one to pull my blood. A giant centerfuge machine to spin the blood. One needle to inject the plasma into my foot, one needle to numb my foot (thank goodness ☺) and some spay to numb before the needle. ...double check.

A second and third needle to numb my foot 😱oh yeah... can’t forget this part. After the being injected into the nerve right about the inside of my left my ankle apparently the medicine did not travel down to the underside of my heel. So she had to do it again 2x. 😬🤢. It’s was almost immediate numbness in the heel foot bottom this time and she was very good. She sprayed it with a topical numbing solution then injected the Lidocaine again...she was certain it was ok as foot tissue turned white. She was also teaching a Podiatry a student so I felt reassured that she was quite knowledgable and competent.

I felt no pain..ok mostly no pain as she injected the plasma into my foot . She made several injections after marking the area in ink making sure to cover the entire area but one are was a little painful so she was kind. Ok so I stopped counting after the fist needle stick but I think maybe it was around 10..hmm 🤔 too much? no I think that sounds about right. Mostly I felt pressure and numb sensation but really no pain to speak of. She remarked in glee”. Yup “she’s full”. And we all laughed. She ,meant my foot was full because of the extra lidocaine and the plasma. She then applied a pressure dressing and gave me instructions for no weight, bearing for 2 weeks (stay off my feet) which means no camino training, no Ice ,no pain relievers, no NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-ainflamatories ) for which I’m allergic anyway , all in all the procedure lasted maybe 20 minutes. I spent more time trying to make it into and out of the parking lot.

So now it was time to make my follow up for 3 week get to physical therapy and then home. Easy enough they gave me a wheelchair (extra double wide I might add). Apparently they don’t make normal size wheel chairs anymore and I picked up my crutches..strapped them to the back of the chair and attempted to make my way back down the same path from whence I came. The wheel chair was so large my arm could barely reach the wheel to roll the wheels so four what steel like a life time I basically had to use the chair rails along the hallway to pull myself along and then a kind hand help push me maybe 200 meters back up to the entrance of the red building . I won’t bore you with the rest but let’s just say I attempted to get new crutches and schedule my physio therapy and it did not go as smoothly as I hoped....I got the new crutches but need to make a few calls next week to get the therapy 🤯🤬🤪 am I surprised no can’t say I am but I was determined to make it out of the building the same way I went in...with a good attitude and a smile on my face.

The technician wheeled me to the elevator and I took it down got the golf car shuttle took me to my car and I drove back home with a very numb right foot I made it and I am happy to say I am currently sitting on my nice comfy sofa typing this update for you all my dear forum friends 🙂. All in all a good day don’t you think? 🤓🤟🏼🦶🤤
Additional info

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The latest in the saga that is my life. ☺ I know you guys were waiting so patiently 😉for an update so here goes lol.

Today I finally had my medical procedure Plasma Rich Platlet (PRP) Therapry to get relief for my heel spurs and micro tears in the plantiafacia (medical speak for my heel ) After driving over 1hr using said foot (right foot) I entered the vast waste land of my wishful optimism attempting to find a parking space. After driving around for what seem to be a millennia I am lucky to locate one outside the parking structure but far below and away from where I need to be, but who is complaining? Not me..there are way too may other people driving around in circles still looking for a parking space, i consider myself lucky today. In fact in Camino terms it might have been at least 3 km and no sign of a yellow arrow in sight. I gathered up my crutches hobbled across the parking lot across the Main Street across another parking lot pass the valet lot which was completely full and into the red building.

Oh by the way did I mention I’m not going to the red building ....I’m going to the brown building way down on the other side of the hospital. At this point I am basically in the rear of the hospital in another connected building. Did I mention that where I need to be was the front of the hospital close to the emergency room well that part is under construction ? Oh no? Well forget that it’s not important....well maybe just In case I need an ambulance after this mini camino 🤪

Any hoo I hobbled along the hallway up a ramp around a corner past the morgue around another corner, pass the mri, pass the kitchen, pass the loading dock, ( you are getting a picture now?) pass the vending to the elevators..a couple people were waiting and the elevator came and we all went in. The elevator Doors close ..uh ohhhh. A sudden jerk and then no movement. We were stuck.

Suddenly a lady on the other side of the elevator begins to panic. She starts pressing many buttons and spouting words. “Calm” I said to myself. And out loud I say “it’s no good to press many buttons at once” She continues on a rant. The rest of the people remained silent. As I press the open door button nothing happens but suffice it so say we were stuck for a few minutes but not for long. Someone pressed the attendant button but by then the door opens and out she went like someone set her shirt on fire. I told the attendant what happend that the rest of us would try again. Low and behold the door closed the elevator went up and I stepped out on my floor into the hallway. A minute later I’m hobbling down the hall I hear “ding” and behind me “ oh you made it”. I turned to see the panic lady from the elevator coming from the second elevator. I just smiled and nodded and went on my way. I could not help thinking with a chuckle, I’m about to get a giant needle in my foot...I have not time for panic in an elevator I’m Sure panic will surely come later.

So I wondered the halls of the hospital and finally found the post operative Podiatry clinic checked in..waited then was taken into to the treatment room, now I’m prepped and ready. We go thru the pleasantries, I sign the release just in case I die..I give my consent...and release their liability (hahah just joking 😜)

Now for the needles 🤐... one big one to pull my blood. A giant centerfuge machine to spin the blood. One needle to inject the plasma into my foot, one needle to numb my foot (thank goodness ☺) and some spay to numb before the needle. ...double check.

A second and third needle to numb my foot 😱oh yeah... can’t forget this part. After the being injected into the nerve right about the inside of my left my ankle apparently the medicine did not travel down to the underside of my heel. So she had to do it again 2x. 😬🤢. It’s was almost immediate numbness in the heel foot bottom this time and she was very good. She sprayed it with a topical numbing solution then injected the Lidocaine again...she was certain it was ok as foot tissue turned white. She was also teaching a Podiatry a student so I felt reassured that she was quite knowledgable and competent.

I felt no pain..ok mostly no pain as she injected the plasma into my foot . She made several injections after marking the area in ink making sure to cover the entire area but one are was a little painful so she was kind. Ok so I stopped counting after the fist needle stick but I think maybe it was around 10..hmm 🤔 too much? no I think that sounds about right. Mostly I felt pressure and numb sensation but really no pain to speak of. She remarked in glee”. Yup “she’s full”. And we all laughed. She ,meant my foot was full because of the extra lidocaine and the plasma. She then applied a pressure dressing and gave me instructions for no weight, bearing for 2 weeks (stay off my feet) which means no camino training, no Ice ,no pain relievers, no NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-ainflamatories ) for which I’m allergic anyway , all in all the procedure lasted maybe 20 minutes. I spent more time trying to make it into and out of the parking lot.

So now it was time to make my follow up for 3 week get to physical therapy and then home. Easy enough they gave me a wheelchair (extra double wide I might add). Apparently they don’t make normal size wheel chairs anymore and I picked up my crutches..strapped them to the back of the chair and attempted to make my way back down the same path from whence I came. The wheel chair was so large my arm could barely reach the wheel to roll the wheels so four what steel like a life time I basically had to use the chair rails along the hallway to pull myself along and then a kind hand help push me maybe 200 meters back up to the entrance of the red building . I won’t bore you with the rest but let’s just say I attempted to get new crutches and schedule my physio therapy and it did not go as smoothly as I hoped....I got the new crutches but need to make a few calls next week to get the therapy 🤯🤬🤪 am I surprised no can’t say I am but I was determined to make it out of the building the same way I went in...with a good attitude and a smile on my face.

The technician wheeled me to the elevator and I took it down got the golf car shuttle took me to my car and I drove back home with a very numb right foot I made it and I am happy to say I am currently sitting on my nice comfy sofa typing this update for you all my dear forum friends 🙂. All in all a good day don’t you think? 🤓🤟🏼🦶🤤
Additional info

Hi @Iriebabel
Wow. Patience. You have it.
Thanks for the update. I’ll be watching and praying you are ‘up and running’ in QuickTime..
Reading through your story I feel a wimp. ( I have a heel spur and planta fasciitis ).. but too much of a wimp to follow up like yourself. Well done and great post.
Take care now and let us know how your physio etc progresses.
Annie

Hi @Iriebabel
Wow. Patience. You have it.
Thanks for the update. I’ll be watching and praying you are ‘up and running’ in QuickTime..
Reading through your story I feel a wimp. ( I have a heel spur and planta fasciitis ).. but too much of a wimp to follow up like yourself. Well done and great post.
Take care now and let us know how your physio etc progresses.
Annie
Aaah thanks I think the camino gave me my patience. I will let you know if this procedure works and will keep you updated. It’s promising. Honestly I did not feel much in terms of the actual procedure.

Waw, what a day 😜 ...1 'step' forward in the healing process 👍
Now rest and physio and you will be back on your 2 feet ready to start your Camino training 👣
Thanks for the update....take care and good luck 🍀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Waw, what a day 😜 ...1 'step' forward in the healing process 👍
Now rest and physio and you will be back on your 2 feet ready to start your Camino training 👣
Thanks for the update....take care and good luck 🍀
Yes thank you. I can’t wait to be back on my feet..just a month and a half and I will be on my way to Spain and the Del Norte 😬😁

I'll be interested to see how this treatment works for you. I've had PF pain since my Camino last summer. I'm in physical therapy now. I've had dry needling in my foot twice which is meant to activate the immune repair response. I go back to the ortho next week who will want to give a steroid injection which I have been avoiding because I know it carries risks. I'm going to see what he thinks about PRP. Happy healing!

I'll be interested to see how this treatment works for you. I've had PF pain since my Camino last summer. I'm in physical therapy now. I've had dry needling in my foot twice which is meant to activate the immune repair response. I go back to the ortho next week who will want to give a steroid injection which I have been avoiding because I know it carries risks. I'm going to see what he thinks about PRP. Happy healing!
Well it’s only been a few days and it seems to be working the pain is definately getting better. The cortisone didn’t work for me and made things worst...I will definately shy away from the steroids in the future. Discussing the PRP with your doctor is a good Idea. I wish you luck and good healing. I actually am seeing a Podiatrist not a Ortho for my foot. I will give an update in a couple weeks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had stem cells and two rounds of PRP in my knee (had one injection at the same time I got the stem cells), It healed my knee enough to get back to work after 9 weeks of being out of work. The knee continued to heal for the following year, it seemed it got a little stronger each month since out of the treatment. Also lost some weight, cleaned up my diet and took knee supplements. I still have a few years until I retire but I plan on walking the camino de Santiago with a hiking trailer (will be carrying some heavy camera equipment), been planning this for years.

Last edited:
I had stem cells and two rounds of PRP in my knee (had one injection at the same time I got the stem cells), I healed my knee enough to get back to work after 9 weeks of being out of work. The knee continued to heal for the following year, it seemed it got a little stronger each month since out of the treatment. Also lost some weight, cleaned up my diet and took knee supplements. I still have a few years until I retire but I plan on walking the camino de Santiago with a hiking trailer (will be carrying some heavy camera equipment), been planning this for years.
I managed to finish the Norte but I had to make some severe modifications to my walking schedule After Gijon due to the. spur since Ive been home...back on crutches. Heel is a little better but just got another injection , the heel is still quite swollen I go back to the surgeon end of month we will see. After 4 surgeries on my left knee nothing can be done it’s out except replacement. I still do what i can but within reason. Haven’t posted here since returning home in June...lots going on and I really just needed to disengage from all things camino. Still planning another one next year but I will definitely change some things

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back