• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update: Via de la Plata Guidebook (English)

micbook

Hi everyone,

I'm walking the Via de la Plata this spring 2012 and in search for a good guidebook, I also contacted Cicerone Press who is the publisher for some of Alison Raju's guidebooks.

Per publisher's response, Alison's most recent guide to the VdlP is, indeed, out of print. She's working on a new edition, but it's not due to come out until 2014. So until then, if you're looking for an English guidebook, your best bet might be the Confraternity of Saint James guide or, if you have any other suggestions, please do share :)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, there is already a thread on guidebooks, sorry! I have the same question. Which guidebook would you recommend? There don't seem to be many. I can also read in French, German or Spanish if necessary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used the Lepere French guide this time. I don't think I'd recommend it, as his tone gets fairly irritating after the first week or so, and the maps are absurdly out of date for a guide that was only published last year.

I bumped into a couple of Spanish pilgrims who had what looked like quite a decent (ring bound) relatively concise guide. I didn't meet any Germans this time (except ones doing a circular route from Alicante back to Seville, using GPS), but I'd be prepared to bet they have a good one.

There is an authoritive guide to the VDLP produced by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla, with separate editions in English, Spanish and French. It has been written by 2 Spanish Amigos pilgrims who walked the whole route, and contains descriptions, maps and profiles from Cadiz to Finisterre. The problem is buying a copy from overseas, as the postage and packing cost is high, and credit cards cannot be used which means posting a bank draft. I do not have their website handy, but if you google the name you will get it and although in Spanish, it is easy enough to understand.
Other sources are the CSJ guide 2011 with updates to Oct 2012, info@caminoguide.net, mundicamino, godesalco and an Apple app titled, of course, VDLP.
I will be walking this Camino next April and May, and will buy the Amigos guide in Seville from their office for 10 euros. Their website shows their limited opening hours, latest address (which is near Triana Backpackers), etc.
Hope this helps

Wow, thanks all! That is a lot of good advice together!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
camino-david said:
There is an authoritive guide to the VDLP produced by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla, with separate editions in English, Spanish and French. It has been written by 2 Spanish Amigos pilgrims who walked the whole route, and contains descriptions, maps and profiles from Cadiz to Finisterre. The problem is buying a copy from overseas, as the postage and packing cost is high, and credit cards cannot be used which means posting a bank draft. I do not have their website handy, but if you google the name you will get it and although in Spanish, it is easy enough to understand.
Other sources are the CSJ guide 2011 with updates to Oct 2012, info@caminoguide.net, mundicamino, godesalco and an Apple app titled, of course, VDLP.
I will be walking this Camino next April and May, and will buy the Amigos guide in Seville from their office for 10 euros. Their website shows their limited opening hours, latest address (which is near Triana Backpackers), etc.
Hope this helps

I've done this with the Amigos in Seville and just picked it up from them when I got there. Similarly with the Amigos in Valencia for the Levante.

John

I too am looking for an up-to-date guide book for the VDLP. I have been in contact with the publishers of Alison Raju's book and unfortunately the updated/revised edition will not be available until either late this year or early 2014. I saw a Spanish copy for the one mentioned and hope to obtain a copy. Thanks for the update/advice re payment methods.

I am right now on the via de la plata. I managed to buy an english version of the via de la plata guide of saint james's mozarab way issued by amigos del camino de santiago in sevilla. Apart from buying in sevilla, you can also buy a copy from cura miguelangel in monasterio. He is in charge of the albergue parrochial and the priest in the local church.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sent €20 to the Seville Amigos WEEKS ago, asking them to send me the English version of their guide, but no reply to my letter! Oh dear!

Meanwhile, I have "Le Chemin de la Plata" by J-Y Gregoire, published in May 2007 (Rando editions), which has maps. Does anyone have a view about this publication? Reliability?

Martin

FreerangerMartin said:
I sent €20 to the Seville Amigos WEEKS ago, asking them to send me the English version of their guide, but no reply to my letter! Oh dear!

Meanwhile, I have "Le Chemin de la Plata" by J-Y Gregoire, published in May 2007 (Rando editions), which has maps. Does anyone have a view about this publication? Reliability?

Martin

Let us know if you hear from them!

Seems a shame that it is so difficult to obtain this guide.

grayland said:
FreerangerMartin said:

Martin

The same guidebook can be also purchased in Seville at this book shop

Casa del Libro
Velasquez, 8
41001 Sevilla
sevilla@casadellibro.com
Tel. 0034 902 026 410

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jirit said:
grayland said:
FreerangerMartin said:

Martin

The same guidebook can be also purchased in Seville at this book shop

Casa del Libro
Velasquez, 8
41001 Sevilla
sevilla@casadellibro.com
Tel. 0034 902 026 410

I am hoping to obtain one beforehand as I won't be long in Sevilla and opening times seem a bit unsettled at both the bookstore and Amigos office. I have been in Sevilla several times.
I did email the bookstore... But so far no reply.

So still no response to your 20 euro payment? I was thinking about obtaining the same guide, but am not sure to be able to buy it in Sevilla. I will only be there on a Saturday. I would prefer to buy it in advance through their website, but if it doesn't work...

There are also some apps about the Via de la Plata around. But I don't dare to rely on them. I heard there is not a lot of wifi on the VdlP.

If you go to the Amigos website it gives you specific instructions on how to obtain the guide to the Via de la Plata. The money should be transferred to a bank account (not sent to the Amigos - details given in website) and an email sent to the amigos office saying you have paid the money - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS! It is expensive for those of us overseas because your local bank usually charges a big fee for this transfer. I am told that in Europe a bank transfer is free, but in the States and also in Australia it is around $25. (For the Amigos website - Google: Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla)
Casa del Libro Sevilla also has the guide so you could go to their website (google for their website) and the shop is open until 9 pm Monday to Saturday.
If all this fails, you could send a very nicely worded request to the place where you have booked to stay to ask if they can please purchase it for you and you will reimburse them on your arrival.
The title of the guide is 'Guia del Camino Mozarabe de Santiago'. ISBN 978-84-614-5880-6 There is also a souvenir edition that is more expensive, with more pages but I assume you only want the basic version that gives you a map, profile, description and what is in each town such as albergue, restaurants, pharmacy etc. for each of the 37 stages. David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have an iPhone/iPad or Droid, I've got an app guidebook out on the VDLP. I'm a professional travel writer, and have been walking the VDLP every year since 2009. I wrote my app guide for the reason you mentioned -- when I first walked it, the Raju guide was out of print and there was nothing else available in English, so I had to walk it sans guidebook. I got lost a fair amount.

Anyway, my app was completed in January 2012 and I've already updated the Sevilla-Salamanca section this past fall, so it should be very up-to-date. Plus with an app guidebook, pilgrims can update the guidebook as they go. So if I've written that a section has a detour and the detour is now gone, pilgrims can (and have) updated the commentary. You can find them here:

http://sutromedia.com/apps/Via_de_la_Plata
http://sutromedia.com/android/Via_de_la_Plata

Good luck!
Melanie

Melanie,
Does the app require a wifi connection to access while walking? I have the app but never checked.

I think that was the concern posted above.

I made the payment for the guide from the Amigos at http://www.viaplata.org. Today they informed me that the money has arrived and that they will send me the guide.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Melanie, I've downloaded your app.
That, with the info Laurie has given me, will hopefully guide my Camino.
Thanks!
Annie

Luka said:
I made the payment for the guide from the Amigos at http://www.viaplata.org. Today they informed me that the money has arrived and that they will send me the guide.

Please let us know what you think of it after it arrives.

Still trying to figure out a way to order one to the U.S.
We do not have bank transfers that will work in any reasonable way.
Can't get a response to emails...

I will be arriving in Seville this friday and a copy has been held for me, so I let you know what I think of the guidebook.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have Melanie's app on both my iPhone and my iPad.
I plan on taking my phone anyway, so I think this will be plenty in the way of guides.
Saves me the weight of an extra guidebook.
And the price is right! I think it was only around $3.99?

The guide from http://www.viaplata.org has arrived. I have got the Spanish version, so can't say anything about translation. It is small and handy (one stage on each page) and it has very simple maps. I think it will do for a start, but needs something else next to it:

- Some stages are very long (a few days in a row of almost 40 km), which I would like to divide in smaller portions.
- The booklet is made in 2010 and printed in 2011, so quite outdated already. Albergues seem to close and (re)open very rapidly.

I am thinking of the list of jirit and Melanie's app as extra support.

Hello to all peregrinos walking the via de la plata,

As i have mentioned before in other posts, the junta of castilla y leon has published a very good book called "camino de santiago guia del peregrino de la via de la plata" (the camino de santiago guide of the via de la plata pilgrimage). It contains very extensive information on all the pueblos and cities you will be passing through. Their website is http://www.turismocastillayleon.com.. Try to get this book in english version in salamanca or zamora. In the back of the book there is a fold up map showing all the areas from salamanca on to lubian before entering galicia, and also the elevation on all the places you will be passing through. I don't know whether you can access this map on the internet. it is worth a try. their website is http://www.turismoenzamora.es. this is for the map. The tourist office for castilla y leon has a very good budget to encourage pilgrims. Also you can ask for a good map of the province of zamora. This map will show you all the way to lubian. At the same time ask for up to date list of municipal and other albergues. Check with them to make sure there are no surprised closures for the next few stages.

Que tengas un buen camino to all doing the vdp now and have a safe journey. Que dios os bendiga.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The via de la plata guide of saint james's mozareb way published by the amigos del camino de santiago de sevilla was finished during the holy year 2010 in december. And so was not available until 2011. I find the info contained in the book quite informative. I would have been lost without it during my recent winter walk from sevilla. The walk is broken down into 37 stages from sevilla to santiago via sanabrea. There is another section of 4 stages from granje de moreruela to astorga in 4 stages. This book will show you the distances between pueblos, the elevations, whether it is a difficult stage to walk. It also give pertinent information - whether there are any bar, restaurant, health centre, chemist, atm machine, shop, municipal or parrochial albergue, private hostal, hotel. Also important telepphone number of the town hall, tourist office, police station. It does not specify any particular albergue, private or public. I feel the information on the stage itself is quite extensive.

As no albergue or private hostal is mentioned in particular, the info provided does not change from year to year. I will recommend this book highly with other info with regards to accommodations. It is money well spent, €10 euro, to have a guide book like this one.

piogaw said:
The via de la plata guide of saint james's mozareb way published by the amigos del camino de santiago de sevilla was finished during the holy year 2010 in december. And so was not available until 2011. I find the info contained in the book quite informative. I would have been lost without it during my recent winter walk from sevilla. The walk is broken down into 37 stages from sevilla to santiago via sanabrea. There is another section of 4 stages from granje de moreruela to astorga in 4 stages. This book will show you the distances between pueblos, the elevations, whether it is a difficult stage to walk. It also give pertinent information - whether there are any bar, restaurant, health centre, chemist, atm machine, shop, municipal or parrochial albergue, private hostal, hotel. Also important telepphone number of the town hall, tourist office, police station. It does not specify any particular albergue, private or public. I feel the information on the stage itself is quite extensive.

As no albergue or private hostal is mentioned in particular, the info provided does not change from year to year. I will recommend this book highly with other info with regards to accommodations. It is money well spent, €10 euro, to have a guide book like this one.

Just purchased a copy of the same guidebook and I agree with your comments. The guidebook along with the walking schedule I put together (that includes accommodation information and distances between towns) is probably all you need at a min. But I think the 37 stage schedule that the guidebook suggests might be includes some stages that are too long for some pilgrims purposes.

From my experience 2 years ago there was no English guidebook - I didn't see the Amigos version - that compared with the French and German guides that others were using. The most up to date Raju guide that I had was essentially useless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found this Eroski Consumer Guide to be most excellent for ALL the routes!
I didn't even bother translating much of the verbage, although it's simple using google translate.
You can just cut and paste it.

But the maps and info on the albergues is up to date and was excellent in my opinion.
It also has the Sanabres stretch as a different route.

Here is the link:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Now having had the opportunity to put the English guidebook (published by the local association) and the app (published by Melaine), I found none perfect.

I found both the English guidebook and the app lacking in good accommodation information, hence my accommodation and walking schedule proved very useful. It was probably the one thing we checked most often throughout the day.

Nether the guidebook or app provided enough detailed stage information though the app did point out some of the more tricky sections. We found ourselves checking the guidebook more often when we had questions about distances between towns, what was up ahead, etc since it offered the clearest picture. We used the app less often normally to quickly check something ( it was on my wife's iPod touch) but the layout and navigation proved difficult at times.

The high level stage maps in the guidebook were useful while the maps in the app were not.

Both the guidebook and app would be have been more useful if they provided additional culture, historical, contemporary and culinary information about the route to make the experience more enriching.

I agree. For me the most useful app was the one from independentrip (it is free). Contrary to the guidebook of the Amigos de Santiago and the app from Melanie it gave a complete overview of albergues (and alternatives). Plus information about what was available in the villages. Best guidebook is probably the one from eroski, I would say. They don't have an android app, but I downloaded their PDF and when I had wifi I could check information and reviews about the albergues. I think those two (independentrip and eroski) combined will do the job (if you don't have the wonderful overview of Jirit of course!).

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back