• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UPDATED POST: umbrellas are different-Trekking umbrellas

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Eighteen months ago it seemed difficult for me to get my hands on one of the silver "Euroschirm" handsfree umbrellas.
If I'm not mistaken it had just been sold and was under a different name before.
There was a distributer out of the USA that I worked with personally to secure our precious 6.
Last night I googled and they appear cheaper (in price)...and sold, on the net , just about everywhere.
I just ordered me a new one from Amazon!!! I don't remember our original price on ours but I really do think
they were about $20 higher back then (don't quote me)...

Ours were Euroschirm SWING ...in silver

Please see below, I had not read the responses and ordered one and it just came in.
It is WAY different than the umbrella I bought for the kids and I last year.
This one from Amazon is going back...
Smaller, does not extend...and does not attach...

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Eighteen months ago it seemed difficult for me to get my hands on one of the silver "Euroschirm" handsfree umbrellas.
If I'm not mistaken it had just been sold and was under a different name before.
There was a distributer out of the USA that I worked with personally to secure our precious 6.
Last night I googled and they appear cheaper (in price)...and sold, on the net , just about everywhere.
I just ordered me a new one from Amazon!!! I don't remember our original price on ours but I really do think

Ours were Euroschirm SWING ...in silver
Be careful in ordering, I bought the Euroschirm and another online. The online one was exactly alike but without the collapsing handle.

Be careful in ordering, I bought the Euroschirm and another online. The online one was exactly alike but without the collapsing handle.
Yes, Euroschirm makes many different types of umbrellas. You need to made sure that the one you buy is a handsfree model (there are two, the standard and the telescope), and comes with the clips you need to attach it to your backpack. This is the one I have http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleScope_handsfree/info.cgi?session=&sprache_land=usa

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ivar sells them in the forum store - and at the moment he has them on sale - here. I'm not being commercial, for Australians and many others the handsfree model is not available locally.

I'm just now seeing the replies to my post...
THEY ARE CORRECT!!!!! DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WE USED!!!!!

Guys I got my umbrella today and it is TOTALLY different than the one we took last year.
It is WAY smaller...and it does not extend...and it does not connect to my backpack.
I am sending it back.
BUT wanted to share incase that helps anyone.
Company name and color is the same!

Like I said. Euroschirm makes many different types of umbrellas, and they have several models of the Swing umbrella. It sounds like you bought the standard, non handsfree model. The one that Ivar sells is the standard size non telescoping handsfree model I believe.
I have this one which folds down more compactly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZOJHRA/?tag=casaivar02-20

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought mine from Ivar’s store and it is the telescoping model. He has them on sale right now for a very good price. Used mine on my last camino - it was great!

Happy to hear so much about trekking umbrellas. I have the telescoping from Euroshirm, it wasn’t cheap and I am now questioning if I will even need it? Will it be worth carrying the extra weight? I am starting late Aug going through Sep into early Oct.
Please let me know if you used your trekking umbrella?!

Happy to hear so much about trekking umbrellas. I have the telescoping from Euroshirm, it wasn’t cheap and I am now questioning if I will even need it? Will it be worth carrying the extra weight? I am starting late Aug going through Sep into early Oct.
Please let me know if you used your trekking umbrella?!
I felt the same way you did before I walked my first Camino, also in August/September. Though it was the heaviest item in my pack I wouldn't be without it! I dislike wearing hats, because they make me hot, but the umbrella was perfect for shading not just my head, but most of my body from the sun on the Meseta and elsewhere. Works great for the rain too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's what happened to me, I bought on Amazon, also I thought it was Euroschirm telescoping one but received the non telescoping one, so now I am going to have to reorder because I waited too long to return it.

Last edited:
That's what happened to me, I bought on Amazon, also I thought it was Euroschirm telescoping one but received the non telescoping one, so now I am going to have to reorder because I waited too long to return it.
I have used non-telescoping models (GoLite / Gossamer Gear) for years that are effectively the same as the non-telescoping Euroschirm model. They work just fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have used non-telescoping models (GoLite / Gossamer Gear) for years that are effectively the same as the non-telescoping Euroschirm model. They work just fine.
I believe that they are all made by Euroschirm.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.