• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Upper back pain

Godzgirlwalking

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
Hello. Starting the CF on 2 Sept. I'm 67/5'7"/145#/reasonably fit. Training since March. Walk 8-12 miles 3-4 days/week. Introduced hilly terrain last month. Walked 20 miles yesterday, just to see if I could do it. I did finish, but it hurt! Only major issue is upper back pain (aching & burning) especially while carrying my pack. I DON'T want to have to resort to forwarding my pack and sacrificing spontaneity of how far I must walk each day. Anyone with a similar back problem? Any advice as to strengthening exercises I should do to address this? I'm using my son's older pack by Jansport because it has the aluminum rack top & bottom for holding a sleeping bag/bed roll. Although I don't use it for this, it helps alleviate the upper back pain whenever I reach up, grab the top bar, and pull the pack up against my neck & upper back. For a change, I sometimes reach my arms back, lace my fingers below the bottom of the rack, and push the pack upwards for the same pain-relieving effect. It also seems to help when I bend forward at the waist 90°. The pack is comfortable when I start out until about mile 5 or so. I stretch to warm up. I've tried different packs. No success. ANY advice welcomed!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That sounds very much like a pinched nerve (the burning description in particular) from a pack that is mucking about with your posture. Definitely go get fitted for one that is sized for you and made for a woman's body. The upper torso, high thoracic spine area really needs a proper fit, and men's packs do not typically fit well enough. So I second the advice about the pack. Also, if you don't have them yet, get trekking poles; they remove shock from the lumbar spine and prevent that sort of injury.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Godzgirl,

I have similar problems due to degenerative disc disorder and several pinched nerves. I’ve been working with a pt will do my first Camino in Sept-Oct. she has me doing a lot of stretches using a therapy band. Doesn’t take pain away but helps. You also might have the wrong bag. It should fit like a glove with bulk of weight carried on the hips... pt helped with that too. I hope you find some relief! Buen Camino

The choice of backpack is the obvious thing to check. You should get it properly fitted (many packs can be made shorter or longer by adjusting the back panel) and try several different models. Each one, and each human body, is unique. In the store, you will have to judge whether or not the person really knows what they are talking about - some do, and some don't.

Can you confirm that the pack has a hip belt that you use, and that effectively transfers the weight to your hips and legs? What weight are you carrying?

Do you use walking sticks? They can help with the overall rhythm and symmetry of your walking patter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The choice of backpack is the obvious thing to check. You should get it properly fitted (many packs can be made shorter or longer by adjusting the back panel) and try several different models. Each one, and each human body, is unique. In the store, you will have to judge whether or not the person really knows what they are talking about - some do, and some don't.

Can you confirm that the pack has a hip belt that you use, and that effectively transfers the weight to your hips and legs? What weight are you carrying?

Do you use walking sticks? They can help with the overall rhythm and symmetry of your walking patter.

Cc: My pack does have hip & sternum straps which I cinch up as tight as possible which feels good & snug. But when I have the hip straps fastened so the pack is sitting on my hips, the shoulder straps extend up above my actual shoulders and rub against my neck. It feels fine when I first put it on and all the weight (12-15#) seems to be sitting on my hips, but then 5-6 miles later... ouchie!

Cc: My pack does have hip & sternum straps which I cinch up as tight as possible which feels good & snug. But when I have the hip straps fastened so the pack is sitting on my hips, the shoulder straps extend up above my actual shoulders and rub against my neck. It feels fine when I first put it on and all the weight (12-15#) seems to be sitting on my hips, but then 5-6 miles later... ouchie!

Your pack just doesn't fit properly. If you continue to use that pack, the problem will get worse. Below is a post I made earlier about pack sizing and proper fit. I hope it may give you some insights that will help. :)

------------------------
As to fitting a backpack, the volume or carrying capacity of a pack is not the same thing as that pack's size. Size in a backpack is not based on the "volume" that the pack can carry, it is based on the "length" of the frame. It is also about whether the shoulder harness feels good, because the actual shape of the shoulder straps determine if they will be comfortable with your body shape.

It is vital, for a comfortable fit and so that the pack can be properly adjusted, to have the proper measurements made of one's spine length. Hipbelt sizing is pretty straightforward, and many quality packs now have the ability to swap out different sized hip belts.

It is actually quite easy to take the necessary measurements. Having someone help for a couple of minutes makes it a snap. Thousands of folks have successfully purchased packs online, and almost all of the online backpack retailers have easy exchange or return policies should that be necessary. I would also point out that purchasing from a brick-n-mortar store is no guarantee of a proper fit or of comfort. I have had numerous experiences with people who were given 'expert' advice by a store employee, only to come to me for help as to why their pack didn't feel really comfortable or 'right'. A trip to watch the REI returns counter will underscore that point. :)

Some manufacturers offer choices of an "S" strap shape or a "J" shape. The names reflect the actual shape of the strap. The "J" strap is the traditional shape. As women became a bigger part of the backpacking market, one of the most common complaints was that the "J" strap would rub and press against the bosom, which is not a problem for most men. The "S" shape helps eliminate, or at least markedly reduces, that issue. When fitting and trying out a pack, you can see how this might be an important thing to pay attention to. Not too surprising, there are men who prefer the "S" shape as well because of having a larger chest size. Some manufacturers have combined and modified the two shapes into a sort of 'hybrid'.

Here are a couple of videos that may help with the above information. Ignore the product references; the information applies no matter what pack is being considered.

I found that two sticks helps too

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have a lot of excellent, expect advice here. Mine isn’t expert, but I agree with them! Was going to write: CHECK YOU BACKPACK and will also write know how to make the myriad adjustments that put the pack where it should be on your body and where you will be able to carry it without problem. Hardly any of the problems are identifiable at the beginning of the day, BUT as the kilometers wear on you will feel if anything is wrong. Your experience sounds like what I went though on the first days of the camino until I really learned to adjust the pack correctly. And I continued learning as the days went. I saw so many people with ill adjusted packs! Almost comical, but painful. I started trying to show them how hoping not to be a pest. Mine was so out of adjustment on the descent into Roncevalles that I fell full out on my side....ok, there was some slippery grass on an incline, but it was the pack.

If your hip belt is fastened at the correct location and the shoulders are way off then the backpack is not the correct size (torso length).

Get thee to an outfitter and get measured!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you tried variables like borrowing another backpack, using smaller or larger packsizes etc.
&
I am thinking shoulder impingement, which is painful :

Everything above echoes getting the right pack, or the current one properly fitted and I agree, it's the most important place to start. Keep in mind, that "daily transports" are not your only option. You can arrange a single transport here and there...listen to your body. If you've had a tough day, send your things ahead the next. It's stubbornness that gets us in trouble. Bring along a super light foldable pack to use while walking for essentials on the day you might send your heavy load again, so you know you'll have that option. Many many , inexpensive ones on Amazon, and other online places.... be prepared, have options, be open, listen to your body, walk with joy !

Bring along a super light foldable pack to use while walking for essentials on the day you might send your heavy load
Including water, snacks, rain gear, first aid, guide book, gloves, spare battery pack, spare shirt and socks, those essentials will weigh 2-4 kg or more. Do not make the mistake of setting off for a 20-30 km hike with even that load in a flimsy little bag, especially if you have a bad back in the first place!

Have a comfortable well-fitted backpack of 30-40 L that you always wear walking. Have another superlight foldable bag that you use to transport things you don't need during the walking day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Including water, snacks, rain gear, first aid, guide book, gloves, spare battery pack, spare shirt and socks, those essentials will weigh 2-4 kg or more. Do not make the mistake of setting off for a 20-30 km hike with even that load in a flimsy little bag, especially if you have a bad back in the first place!

Have a comfortable well-fitted backpack of 30-40 L that you always wear walking. Have another superlight foldable bag that you use to transport things you don't need during the walking day.

I agree, my thought in my response is that if she is not able to switch out that big aluminum frame pack, it might be best to send that thing ahead. I actually in practice carry a ripstop duffle in the case I need to lighten my load for the day and use the duffle to transport one or two heavier items ahead. If one is having physical difficulties, it may be wise as well to consider a bit shorter distance the following day. There are no requirements to walk 20-30K .

That sounds very much like a pinched nerve (the burning description in particular) from a pack that is mucking about with your posture. Definitely go get fitted for one that is sized for you and made for a woman's body. The upper torso, high thoracic spine area really needs a proper fit, and men's packs do not typically fit well enough. So I second the advice about the pack. Also, if you don't have them yet, get trekking poles; they remove shock from the lumbar spine and prevent that sort of injury.
The OP might check for scoliosis (curvature of the spine), which can create uneven distribution of the backpack's weight. I have a minor case of scoliosis which I never knew I had until I started training for my first Camino and started getting a sharp nerve pain alongside my spine, just below my shoulder blade. Oddly enough, in my case it was exacerbated by the use of trekking poles -- something about the repetitive motion of swinging the poles was creating additional stress on that nerve. My advice to the OP is to check for spinal curvature -- even a small amount -- and to take that into consideration when choosing a backpack size and especially when making the final fitting adjustments each time she dons the pack. In reality, most humans are slightly non-symmetrical anyway, which is why final adjustment of all those straps can make a difference in how the loaded backpack feels.

For what it is worth: I had lent my pack to someone else, and lately took it with me to my local outdoor shop and asked a very nice assistant to adjust it for me. Done. Then I went on a 7 day walk. Day one, I focussed on my walking poles. I remembered what I had seen and heard in a couple of videos, and was soon swinging away, like rowing almost, with my hands snugly supported by the straps and beginning by placing the poles slightly behind my feet so they propelled me forward. Beautiful! So, next trick. I seemingly was thundering along, forcing my feet to thump down and attract huge blisters on the pads of my feet. So I practised heel, toes, heel, spread foot out, toes, and now... no blisters, no hot spots. It has become my automatic way of walking. Not bad for a dope of almost 71! And after 3 Caminos, and a local canal and river stravaig!
I wish you really well. I had no idea when I first set out 12 years ago if I would make one day, or the 29 that took me from Roncesvalles to Santiago...and you know, I imagine it is like childbirth - once safely over, the pain is forgotten immediately!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with everyone's comment on pack fitting
Your comment on feeling better with the poles makes me wonder about your posture while wearing the pack.
I have noticed that when I use poles my posture is more upright and without them, I tend to unconsciously lean forward, noticeably affecting my upper back

Thank you everyone for your concerns & thoughtful advice. I do have a slight case of scoliosis (just discovered that with a recent back Xray). I tend to lean forward while using my poles like a skier (especially on inclines), and leaning forward often alleviates some of the discomfort. I did discover on today's practice hike that my shoulder straps are adjustable, so I'm going to try to bring them down to where they rest on my shoulders when the hip belt is fastened on top of my hips. Hopefully, this will provide some relief.

there you go.. things can be remedied, there are solutions,
you might get to where you won´t to go,,,
So, on y´go !?
and
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back