• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urban Myths

About the myth of St. James' body being brought to Spain by a stone boat: I've heard that it was due to a mistranslation and that his body was actually transported by a rocket ship. ;)

Now now, let's not get silly ;)

We are told that Saint James did in fact arrive in Santiago in a stone boat.
But sadly over the years, and probably lost in translation somewhere, is the fact that a stone boat is not a boat at all.

It is a horse drawn conveyance

Everything is revealed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone-boat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now now, let's not get silly ;)

We are told that Saint James did in fact arrive in Santiago in a stone boat.
But sadly over the years, and probably lost in translation somewhere, is the fact that a stone boat is not a boat at all.

It is a horse drawn conveyance

Everything is revealed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone-boat
Robo, you just stole Santa Claus. I guess it is time to not rely on the adults any more if they are engaged in deceptions of this scale...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another evergreen. How could I forget about this wide-spread double myth?

1. This is a map of 1648.
2. It shows the pilgrimage ways to Santiago de Compostela.

MB_Compostelle.jpg

Last edited:
What's the double myth ? :oops:
It's a failed attempt at injecting some levity into the thread. The map does not date from 1648 and it does not show historical pilgrimage ways from 1648 or any other time. The artist who created the map in the 1970s did not try to hide this but the map became popular and found its way into books, exhibitions and museum shops without making this clear. It's a nice map, though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a failed attempt at injecting some levity into the thread. The map does not date from 1648 and it does not show historical pilgrimage ways from 1648 or any other time. The artist who created the map in the 1970s did not try to hide this but the map became popular and found its way into books, exhibitions and museum shops without making this clear. It's a nice map, though.
A little bit like "Desiderata" dating back to 1692 or earlier.

A little bit like "Desiderata" dating back to 1692 or earlier.
Perhaps there should be a warning at the beginning of this thread: Beware. You enter this thread at your own peril. Illusions may be shattered.

When I reached SJPP, I sensed very quickly that most of my occasional companions and others did not really want to know that shells were not carried to SdC in earlier times and that knights in white coats did not ride up and down the CF on patrol to keep law and order and give advice to pilgrims in which direction to walk and that those skull and bones sculptures did not refer to pirates. So, when on the road, I am happy to let them believe whatever they like to believe, even when I'm asked about something specifically. Myths are often more fun than boring facts. 🤓

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding the concrete boat issue, I am not saying that it cannot be done, but available evidence is that the first attempts to make boats out of ferrocement were not tried until the mid-1800s. Refer to the Wikipedia article proffered by Robo above.

This is about 1800 years before the circa-first century time period we are focused on when we are speaking of the facts, legends and myths surrounding the cult of the Apostle Saint James (aka Santiago).

At that time, most, if not all boats across the Roman Empire were made of WOOD. Okay, there MIGHT have been some smaller boats with skin hulls, but these would not have been adequate to transport stone or other heavy, dense cargo.

So, respectfully and IMHO, the debate regarding a 'stone boat' made of stone, cement or anything other than wood is irrelevant. The facts and available archaeological history support that the boat was a boat built of contemporary materials, likely wood, and intended for the transport of stone and manufactured stone items.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think the warning should be “beware! Rector is a bit of a teaser and provokes discussion In his choice of words in his initial post”
Still, never mind, that’s Sunday’s sermon sorted!
You know too much Bristle Boy no doubt you know a fine place to get cider in “Bristle"
and as my son lives there I know and welcome the fact that the cider is not a Myth

New myths are appearing all the time. In a thread running on the APOC Facebook group at the moment someone argues that the Camino was created by English druids walking from Stonehenge to Santiago around 1500BC and that it was later taken over by the Christian church. Makes me proud to be British :cool:
Well the Camino to Santiago is mentioned in
You know too much Bristle Boy no doubt you know a fine place to get cider in “Bristle"
and as my son lives there I know and welcome the fact that the cider is not a Myth
Well welcome back Rector you “scally”.
You do like to tease the natives with your provocatve posts...the botofumero only masks the smell of lavender.
The apples are lovely this year...pure vintage!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
someone argues that the Camino was created by English druids walking from Stonehenge to Santiago around 1500BC and that it was later taken over by the Christian church. Makes me proud to be British :cool:
Did they cross the Gulf of Biscaye in megalithic stone boats sourced from Wales?

Did they cross the Gulf of Biscaye in megalithic stone boats sourced from Wales?
Very,very doubtful 🤑! Think the boats of stone/stone carrying boats has been thoughtfully rationalised. The Camino to Santiago is mentioned in the marvellous visitors experience at Stonehenge! Well worth a visit....now the existence of the stones...there’s a plethora of theories and “urban myths”

Very,very doubtful 🤑! Think the boats of stone/stone carrying boats has been thoughtfully rationalised. The Camino to Santiago is mentioned in the marvellous visitors experience at Stonehenge! Well worth a visit....now the existence of the stones...there’s a plethora of theories and “urban myths”
I thought that stonehenge was the original site for the now Glastonbury “Rock" festival
And in answer to you Bristle Boy I had to work yesterday and tonight, so I need my sleep at my age

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I thought that stonehenge was the original site for the now Glastonbury “Rock" festival
And in answer to you Bristle Boy I had to work yesterday and tonight, so I need my sleep at my age
Don’t we all...it’s a busy time for you Rector and the hours so antisocial (hope it’s time and a half after midnight).
I’ll be looking for you swinging your cassock (as opposed to the incense) at any festival!!
Don’t think English Heritage would have allowed those “smelly” pilgrims of music anywhere near the stones!

Last edited:
Don’t we all...it’s a busy time for you Rector and the hours so antisocial (hope it’s time and a half after midnight).
I’ll be looking for you swinging your cassock (as opposed to the incense) at any festival!!
Aren’t you thinking of Glastonbury (just up the road)????
I can confirm my dear Bristle, that that you do have a sense of humour, the last time I got time and a half was 1994, well before I came into this job.
New Question
Camino Phrases and titles that are annoying ie
Camino Family
Camino Angel
The Camino will provide etc

I can confirm my dear Bristle, that that you do have a sense of humour, the last time I got time and a half was 1994, well before I came into this job.
New Question
Camino Family
Camino Angel
What’s the matter with wurzel????
Phrases, like names, don’t concern me greatly
but I get where you are coming from...perhaps the Camino providing may be an urban myth...who knows! Perhaps we should hear from someone who has been “provided”.
Are you telling me you don’t believe in angels????
Are you engaging in a bit of clerical “click baiting” again?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Question
Camino Family
Camino Angel
Buen Camino can get pretty annoying when you are traveling at a pace that allows the 10,000 peregrinos who have started after you to greet you as they pass.

Buen Camino can get pretty annoying when you are traveling at a pace that allows the 10,000 peregrinos who have started after you to greet you as they pass.
What do you think ask Peg and I am sure The Wurzel will jump in, should I lauch this as a new thread?

What do you think ask Peg and I am sure The Wurzel will jump in, should I lauch this as a new thread?
Well Rector...you leave the door open and I’ll come in! You have had some brilliant, cerebral contributors on this thread! Who would have thought, after reading your original, it would have lead to such “gold” for your sermon!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would have to put on way too much body weight so that my back pack was ponly..10% of my body weight! I pack what I need. I don't even weigh my back pack anymore prior to a Camino. People focus way too much on gear and weight.
I on the other hand would carry a 27 lb. Pack if were 10% of my body weight. I get by with 11 lbs. With water and snacks included.

New Question
Camino Family
Camino Angel
So, what is the question? If there is no elephant involved, sorry the question is irrelephant. Ask stgcph, he knows all about it.

Gosh! Sorry! Wrong thread!

For me it's when I hear a cleric saying in a sermon that if you have faith there is a "pot of gold" waiting for you at the end of the Camino in Santiago.

There are a few commercial concerns that will gladly pre-book that 'pot of gold' for you, btw.... ;)

May the Lord make His face to shine upon all of you in 2019. Fr Jeffrey

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Before the movie The Way made it famous, no one really knew about El Camino de Santiago". The opening line of a "newspaper" article that did terrible things to my blood pressure....
Brads if my memory serves me right we had a discussion on this forum about cars found along the camino still working from the 1960s/70s and I felt then that you and I were about the same age and as someone with 4 stents i would say watch that blood pressure

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brads if my memory serves me right we had a discussion on this forum about cars found along the camino still working from the 1960s/70s and I felt then that you and I were about the same age and as someone with 4 stents i would say watch that blood pressure

I think that must have been someone else - no memory of a discussion about cars :) I am a 1962 vintage product myself.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think that must have been someone else - no memory of a discussion about cars :) I am a 1962 vintage product myself.
A mere child then mate, was that then?

Thank you Chris. You are most kind as always.

Being a left-brain, OCD person, I naturally wanted to know and understand in context, the basis of all the myths and legends. So, while I am at Santiago for a month each summer, I noodle around and ask questions. I visit libraries, I look in bookstores. My Spanish improves annually.

I usually get answers. The trick is to piece together information from different sources to develop an assessment of the most likely fact pattern. In fact, this is what I did the final six years of my professional career as an intelligence analyst.

One of the most interesting things is that several of the folks connected to the Cathedral have told me over several years, is that the cult of Santiago is so important to so many people across Spain, and so much of Western Civilization, that nothing would be served by publishing every stone cold fact, especially if out of context.

I was reminded that historical context is everything here. Unless you understood the historical and cultural context, you could not fully understand the meaning of the pieces of information and facts.

In other words, WE know enough of the facts to support what is celebrated and perpetuated as the cult of the Apostle Saint James at Santiago de Compostela.... There is no practical point to dispelling popular myths and legends, to the extent that they do not contradict parochial teaching. Put another way, some sleeping dogs are best left laying...

That was in response to the question..."is all of this in writing in one book, for anyone to read?" The answer, very diplomatically delivered, was that the facts are known. They are available to researchers who seek the truth. Evidently, the Cathedral has semi-closed archives, not available to the general public. Ooooh! I see a future Dan Brown novel here... Whoa, Tom Hanks walking the Camino in his search for 'the truth." ...my head explodes...

Most of the key facts are recorded in very ancient texts. Some of the information is first-hand, based on, then contemporaneous writing, letters, and diary accounts... Some of it is second-hand. The Cathedral works with the Vatican to accumulate everything learned about the life of the Apostle, evangelist, pilgrim, and martyr saint. I am told that the archives at the Cathedral are second only to the Vatican for thoroughness and scope.

But, like me, the researchers 'stitched together' what is KNOWN for fact, with what is believed with a very high degree of reliability based on the source. Unsupported beliefs and legends are only present in the Church's understanding insofar as it is absolutely necessary to bridge a remaining gap. As the years go by, more pieces to the historical puzzle are uncovered and fitted to the mosaic that is the cult of Santiago.

To paraphrase Yoda, the Jedi master... "...you either believe or you do not believe...there is no middle path..."

Thanks again for your kind words.

Hope this helps.
Hmmmm... maybe you should write a book (reference or other) .....that would be interesting indeed, Mr. Tom.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
People have been asking me to write a book about the Camino for several years now. I know it would not be a "how to" book. There are too many of those already. Besides, who is to say that my way is the best way... I might include such a screed as an appendix, just as an FYI. BUt it would not be the purpose of the book.

After thinking about it for some years, I think that my book will contain stories from the Camino. Things, people, issues and situations, I have encountered along the way. The times I've repeated some of these stories, I usually entertain others. I would include stories from my various Caminos, as well as situation occurring when I was volunteering at the Pilgrim Office.

The remaining sticking point for me is that in many of the stories, I do something that the reader might read as "virtue signaling." I have over the years I have been doing Caminos, performed any number of actions benefiting other pilgrims. These things might be viewed as generous or charitable. My view is that it is not what I did that is the issue, but the totality of the story that led all of us to a position where I could help someone else. That is the entertaining bit.

I am exploring using pseudonyms, a different 'case' or 'tense, or some other editorial tool to avoid making it read like I am somehow beating my chest and touting what I have done Perhaps I will invent a character and have him do everything... I have never done this sort of thing before.

I am perplexed. Not having written anything other than professional reports and analyses, plus my 'novellas' here in the forum, this would be my first go at real journalism. This is posing the problem of writers' inertia.

It is not a content block. I know the stories. I can tell them with no problem, and they tend not to vary over time. But, I need to get past the 'inertial block' and start pounding the keyboard...

Writing the stories is the easy part. Making it enjoyable and hopefully compelling reading is something entirely different. Let's face it, every author wants to be successful.

Sigh, the impasse continues...

Thanks for your support.

I don't believe that's a myth. It's true that pilgrims in the middle ages stunk!

And there were probably rich and/or influential people buried in the church. The richer the closer to the altar. They were decomposing (that's supposedly were the phrase "stinking rich" come from...)....so the use of perfume and other things that could "overpower" the stench was necessary for the poor priests and monks.....😊

PS: Though some of us pilgrims stink we don't stink like corpses unless we take off our boots......ha ha. Oops. Sorry. Sorry, couldn't help that one....😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And there were probably rich and/or influential people buried in the church. The richer the closer to the altar. They were decomposing (that's supposedly were the phrase "stinking rich" come from...)....so the use of perfume and other things that could "overpower" the stench was necessary for the poor priests and monks.....
Just to prove that one can wring something out of any post and also because it brings us nicely back to the beginning of the thread that mentions a myth about the Botafumeiro which is also loved and propagated by tour guides 🙃:

The story [about the origin of stinking rich] is entirely untrue and, once again, we have tour guides to thank for adding to the list of totally bonkers folk etymological derivations [...]​
The real origin of stinking rich, which is a 20th-century phrase, is much more prosaic. 'Stinking' is merely an intensifier, like the 'drop-dead' of drop-dead gorgeous, the 'lead pipe' of lead pipe cinch or, more pertinent in this case, the 'stark-raving' of stark-raving mad. It has been called upon as an intensifier in other expressions, for example, 'stinking drunk' and 'we don't need no stinking badges'.​

Last edited:

€46,-
I don't believe that's a myth. It's true that pilgrims in the middle ages stunk!
That is also possibly the reason for the name Lavacola --the stream, not the little town--a place for pilgrims to wash their bottoms before going on to SdC.

Just to prove that one can wring something out of any post and also because it brings us nicely back to the beginning of the thread that mentions a myth about the Botafumeiro which is also loved and propagated by tour guides 🙃:

The story [about the origin of stinking rich] is entirely untrue and, once again, we have tour guides to thank for adding to the list of totally bonkers folk etymological derivations [...]​
The real origin of stinking rich, which is a 20th-century phrase, is much more prosaic. 'Stinking' is merely an intensifier, like the 'drop-dead' of drop-dead gorgeous, the 'lead pipe' of lead pipe cinch or, more pertinent in this case, the 'stark-raving' of stark-raving mad. It has been called upon as an intensifier in other expressions, for example, 'stinking drunk' and 'we don't need no stinking badges'.​
....yes, we are talking about myths here, not facts...😊

And of course the myth that
the louder and more frequently that you state your theory...
the more correct it becomes.
😎

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Before the movie The Way made it famous, no one really knew about El Camino de Santiago". The opening line of a "newspaper" article that did terrible things to my blood pressure....

That made my blood boil just now... I'm a journalist and worked for 10years in a newsroom - I would be sooooo angry if a colleague wrote that!

€46,-
And there were probably rich and/or influential people buried in the church. The richer the closer to the altar. They were decomposing (that's supposedly were the phrase "stinking rich" come from...)....so the use of perfume and other things that could "overpower" the stench was necessary for the poor priests and monks.....😊

PS: Though some of us pilgrims stink we don't stink like corpses unless we take off our boots......ha ha. Oops. Sorry. Sorry, couldn't help that one....😊
If buried people decomposing were a source for odors above, cemeteries would be the stinkiest places. Similarly other churches that have lots of wealthy people buried there (St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey in London come to mind). But they aren't a source for odours above. I think this is another urban legend.

This is wonderful, and shows the humorous side of the moderators and also the long-time veteran pilgrims, whose advice Ihave depended on for serious topics!! Thank you! especially for posting the entire Spanish Inquisition skit.

Having nothing useful to do and after reading someone else saying that the purpose of the botafumeiro was to kill the smell of the pilgrims (which of course it must have by the way) can we have some of the other now accepted urban myths about out there.
I think the only truth here is that it’s the middle of the winter, most of us are a little bored, nearly all of us would rather be walking and so this is what you get with a Perrigrino with too much time on their hands 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But Brian May has a literal connection to the stars --he's completed his Ph.D. in astrophysics.
And recently did work on the New Horizons mission that just photographed Ultima Thule! So he’s actually a working astrophysicist.

Myth - It was not a boat made of stone. This was proven not feasible during the Great War (WWI) when ships were made of cast concrete, as an experiment. The buoyancy needed to navigate does not exist with so great a mass. But, things being what they are, the myth at Muxia is not going away anytime soon.
False. if you look up the story of SS Crete Boom’, an old concrete ship in Ballina lying on the River Moy in County Mayo Ireland
The Creteboom
The Creteboom was one of six similar ships built by John Ver Mehr & Co., of Shoreham by Sea, Sussex and was launched there in November 1919, too late to participate in the wartime service for which it was intended. After being purchased by Stelp & Leighton, the vessel spent some time in the icy waters of the Baltic. When the Crete shipping Company failed in 1924, the Creteboom was laid upon the River Ware for a number of years before being sold on to the South Stockton Shipbreaking Co., of Thornaby on Tees. It arrived at their dismantling wharf on or just before April 27th, 1935 and was dismantled and stripped of its metal parts until all that remained intact was the concrete hulk

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the only truth here is that it’s the middle of the winter, most of us are a little bored, nearly all of us would rather be walking and so this is what you get with a Perrigrino with too much time on their hands 😉
I can assure you that I did not have too much time on my hands this is one of the most intensively busy times of the year in my occupation. The fact was, that I had some time, a space, and I can see myths building up all the time until they become the accepted truth and that can be a little hard to take and so I thought, in the search for truth that a simple gauntlet thrown down might shine some light, in a challenging way, upon the darker side of our “TRUTHS”, but it was fun as well!

I can assure you that I did not have too much time on my hands this is one of the most intensively busy times of the year in my occupation. The fact was, that I had some time, a space, and I can see myths building up all the time until they become the accepted truth and that can be a little hard to take and so I thought, in the search for truth that a simple gauntlet thrown down might shine some light, in a challenging way, upon the darker side of our “TRUTHS”, but it was fun as well!
Always is fun @rector...done in your own style!
There must be more!

I
Having nothing useful to do and after reading someone else saying that the purpose of the botafumeiro was to kill the smell of the pilgrims (which of course it must have by the way) can we have some of the other now accepted urban myths about out there.

I’m not urban ... and I have no myth ... oh well

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is also possibly the reason for the name Lavacola --the stream, not the little town--a place for pilgrims to wash their bottoms before going on to SdC.

My understanding is that the word "Lavacolla" comes from the Latin 'lava' meaning 'wash,' and 'colla' referring to a neck, stem or throat. In that context, the later definition could easily mean crotch... Although my search for a Latin word for 'crotch" came up with "interfeminum," an entirely different tangent... oh well... I am not a linguist, especially with Latin...

Over time, the term has been transliterated into Castilian Spanish, it has come to mean 'wash your bottom parts.' Based on the Latin origins and intended purpose, this seems reasonable. Why the townsfolk don't change the town name is curious, to me at least.

Trying to research this so as to provide the best input here, I came across this entry...

http://caminoways.com/lavacolla

This is also suggestive, but not authoritative. However, if you can imagine a time when pilgrims: wore an outer tunic that came to about their ankles, did not wear undergarments per se, and toilet paper was unknown, pit privies were the norm, soap was uncommon, as was regular washing-up, then one can possibly imagine the condition pilgrims approaching Santiago were in.

Putting it charitably, they likely stank to high heaven, and appeared dirty and unkept. Many were sick, and some undoubtedly suffered gastrointestinal diseases. Eeeuw! Quite the mind picture...

Given the universal authority, and political power, of the only Christian Church a thousand years ago (pre-Reformation), it is also very likely that the pilgrims were very concerned that they be as presentable as possible before presenting themselves to the monks and priests at the Cathedral at the completion of their arduous pilgrimages. One would NOT want to incur the Church's wrath or displeasure.

Hence, the basic story about pilgrims bathing and washing their clothes as best they could at the final river before entering the Cathedral city makes reasonable sense, at least to me.

So, we can debate the precise meaning of the word, as well as its origins. But, I think this is pretty much a resolved issue.

Hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.