• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent question about skipping etapas

Bianca

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully July 2015!
Hello,

I am on the Norte right now, actually sitting in the albergue in Soto de Luiña. I still have ten walking days left. I will not make it to Santiago "on time", I really don't like walking more than 30 km a day, ideally I walk around 20-26.
If I would skip some etapas, which are the "best" (least pretty / most difficult) to skip? If I would skip some I would prefer to skip a whole stretch at once, not take a bus every few days. Alternatively, I might just walk on until I have to go home and finish the Norte another time.

Would love to hear some input!

Thanks in advance,

Bianca

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Right now I'm thinking of walking to Cadavedo tomorrow and taking the train from there to La caridad.

Hello,

I am on the Norte right now, actually sitting in the albergue in Soto de Luiña. I still have ten walking days left. I will not make it to Santiago "on time", I really don't like walking more than 30 km a day, ideally I walk around 20-26.
If I would skip some etapas, which are the "best" (least pretty / most difficult) to skip? If I would skip some I would prefer to skip a whole stretch at once, not take a bus every few days. Alternatively, I might just walk on until I have to go home and finish the Norte another time.

Thanks in advance,

Bianca
I can't help you with your question because I have not walked the Norte, but I love your suggestion that you "might just walk on until [you] have to go home and finish the Norte another time." You haven't mentioned where 'home' is but, if there is the possibility that you could finish the Norte another time, that's what I would be inclined to do. It's a great excuse to have to come back! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, but at the same time I also find it slightly silly because 1) I have to be in Santiago anyway, I have a train booked from there and 2) I will probably only have two or three days too little (if that's how you say it). I really don't know!

Right now I feel very pressured though...

Hard to give a good advice. Have walked the Norte myself and cant remember any particularly difficult or boring stages to skip. But you may want to take in consideration skipping the last 40 k from Arzua to Santiago: it will probably be very very busy (as the Norte joins the Frances in Arzua) and a bit of a shock after the relative quietness on the Norte. Good luck (and sorry to read you start to feel pressured at the end of your camino).

Yes, but at the same time I also find it slightly silly because 1) I have to be in Santiago anyway, I have a train booked from there and 2) I will probably only have two or three days too little (if that's how you say it). I really don't know!

Right now I feel very pressured though...
If you have to be in Santiago anyway to get your train, that changes things. But, one thing is for sure, there is no need to feel pressured - please don't feel pressured; there is no need for that. If you think you are short three days, just train three days' distance and carry on from there. Trust that you have made the right decision - I like to think everything happens for the best - even if it turns out I might have made a better decision. Relax, keep calm, go with the flow, and enjoy the rest of your Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For a compostela you must walk the final 100kms, if that is important then you need to restart walking before the 100km point. That might influence your decision. The FEVE to Ribadeo might help you - if it skips enough days.

We really enjoyed the walk through Galicia; I agree with @Tia Valeria that the Feve to Ribadeo is a reasonable option. That should save you a few days.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Bianca
Hi Bianca , You can finish the northe another time , and than make the walk till Finesterre .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

If you decide to skip forward to Ribadeo the Pension Linares is very pilgrim friendly. In the main square only just off the Camino. You can find them on booking.com.

Hi!
Thanks so much for your input. This forum really is fantastic!

As it happens, the decision was kind of made by the circumstances. There seemed to be no bed left in cadavedo tonight, I spent an hour frantically calling around to accommodation in Luarca but that also didn't leave me with any options. So as it is, I am in a pension in La Caridad...

Well, now I will definitely have enough time to walk on. I have to say though that I have never had this problem in he Basque Country or Cantabria, but since I've been in Asturias I've had some trouble finding a bed. The albergues are usually full, at least if you have someone you can share with it's ok, but it is not always easy. I really don't want to get up at 4 in the morning and run to the next place to be honest.

Well, that's all I have to complain about ;-). I do feel a little like a failed pilgrim for having taken the train (three times actually)! I definitely want to come back d do the first stage from Irun and / or the primitivo though. It's been hard and fun, I laughed and I cried, but it's definitely been special!

Thanks again everyone!

Bianca

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Bianca you still have lots of lovely walking ahead. Btw, I second @Tia Valeria 's recommendation of Pension Linares, if you feel like a night away from the albergues. Although the chocolate and churros in the cafe downstairs may be blamed for my total failure to lose weight on Camino. There is also an excellent pulperia close by.

If you catch the FEVE Train be aware that trainstop are discretionary, so you have to push the bottom otherwise the train does not stop. We had same problem, not enough time, we decided to escape some in country etapa, but we walked all alone the coast. Buen Camino...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you catch the FEVE Train be aware that trainstop are discretionary, so you have to push the bottom otherwise the train does not stop. We had same problem, not enough time, we decided to escape some in country etapa, but we walked all alone the coast. Buen Camino...
Urgent was lat Monday

When we were on the FEVE we had to notify the conductor, who then stops the train at the discretionary stops. He also has to unlock the correct door depending on which side the platform is. If you push buttons be careful not to hit the emergency stop!! Door buttons are usually easily seen at the side of the door - green to open the door from inside or out.

There seemed to be more discretionary stops this year and some stations look as though they are no longer in use. Main stations are still regular stops, easy to see on the timetable as it gives stop times. Don't rely on getting a paper timetable from the stations anymore, we got ours from the tourist office as the stations are not producing them :(. If you have an old fold-out time-table note that many times have changed. This info is for previous users attracted to this thread I know the OP has already moved on.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.