• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent question from Girona

Time of past OR future Camino
Aragon/CF 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18, Moz 19
Just walked from Llanca to Girona ( thanks especially to Laurie for inspiring this walk to Jaca)
And now I am trying to sort out best route for me to Vic - straight west through Vilanova de Sau ( Which is the route described in the French guide I am using), or Laurie’s more northern, longer route via Sant Feliu de Palleroles. Laurie, did you go north just to see one of your favorite monasteries? Or are there other reasons? Maybe accommodations, which as we know are a challenge on this beautiful Camino for those of us who prefer pilgrim places.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, I am so sorry I missed this! But all I can tell you is that I went the way I did because that was the way the signs and my GPS sent me. I was unaware of an alternative route, but the Amigos group in Girona is dead set against any route into Vic. They think the camino should head straight south and avoid Vic altogether. They say it is the historical route. I am sure they are right, but for me the chance to visit both Girona and Vic was great! Looking back at my notes, I can see that the days from Girona into Vic were just gorgeous. You are right that I did take a little detour on the day into Vic in order to see the monastery at San Pere de Casseres and then hopped a cab into Vic, but the walk straight to Vic would have been quite do-able.

I hope you found your way Sitkapilgrim, which route did you take? Did you see anyone else walking? I stayed in only one albergue I think, and that was not a pilgrim-specific albergue, in the city of Manresa. I didn't see any other pilgrims at all until I met up with LT in Montserrat, and from there the two of us met about three others before joining up with the Aragonés.

Would love to hear how it's going for you!

Oh, I am so sorry I missed this! But all I can tell you is that I went the way I did because that was the way the signs and my GPS sent me. I was unaware of an alternative route, but the Amigos group in Girona is dead set against any route into Vic. They think the camino should head straight south and avoid Vic altogether. They say it is the historical route. I am sure they are right, but for me the chance to visit both Girona and Vic was great! Looking back at my notes, I can see that the days from Girona into Vic were just gorgeous. You are right that I did take a little detour on the day into Vic in order to see the monastery at San Pere de Casseres and then hopped a cab into Vic, but the walk straight to Vic would have been quite do-able.

I hope you found your way Sitkapilgrim, which route did you take? Did you see anyone else walking? I stayed in only one albergue I think, and that was not a pilgrim-specific albergue, in the city of Manresa. I didn't see any other pilgrims at all until I met up with LT in Montserrat, and from there the two of us met about three others before joining up with the Aragonés.

Would love to hear how it's going for you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just walked from Llanca to Girona ( thanks especially to Laurie for inspiring this walk to Jaca)
And now I am trying to sort out best route for me to Vic - straight west through Vilanova de Sau ( Which is the route described in the French guide I am using), or Laurie’s more northern, longer route via Sant Feliu de Palleroles. Laurie, did you go north just to see one of your favorite monasteries? Or are there other reasons? Maybe accommodations, which as we know are a challenge on this beautiful Camino for those of us who prefer pilgrim places.

Everything ok out there on the Cami St. Jaume? There was no message in your last post! Buen camino, Laurie

All is well on the Camí San Jaume, except for my problems posting properly.

The route I had been considering is called the Ruta d’en Sevallinga. It may be the GR 178. It leaves the Via Verde 20 km north of Girona at El Pastoral and heads west. 33.2 km to Vilanova De Sau and then 20 km on to Vic. It follows forest roads up to a dam and then along a reservoir. I thought it sounded appealing as it would be a faster route to Vic, in a part of the Camí which is rather expensive for my more simple pilgrim tastes. I saw the yellow arrow at El Pastoral pointing west with an informative map sign.

But locals told me it was too remote for me to walk alone ( what would they think of where I come from in Alaska?). And I suspected accommodation at Vilanova de Sau would be very pricey..

So I followed your way, Laurie, with your invaluable GPS tracks. Some parts were stunningly beautifuI. I took an extra day, staying at a casa rurales 2 km off cami near San Esteve den Bas.

No other pilgrims. No other long distance walkers. When I asked, I was told I was the first pilgrim in months. And this is not too early in the year to walk the Camí San Jaume. It is already too hot this year for my tastes.

Now in Vic having a rest day at this lovely youth hostel, and expecting to be in Montserrat in 3 days.

After I reach Jaca, which is far as I plan to go (I did Somport to Jaca to the Frances many years ago), I may write up the details of my stages and post then. The need to think hard about where to sleep each night makes this Camino more of a puzzle.

I am so grateful to Laurie and others who inspired me to walk here.

So very happy to hear you are enjoying this route. I too was totally alone the entire time but it remains one of the most beautiful and inspiring caminos I have ever walked. I look back in total gratitude that I was able to walk it, and would love to be able to head back some day. I know that for many pilgrims, the absence of albergues will be a deal-breaker, but for anyone with the resources, I cannot recommend this camino highly enough!

There is a lot of road walking out of the starting gate at Montserrat, but I imagine you will hit this part at a much better time of year than we did. I had a partner from Montserrat to the Aragonés and onward. It makes a lot of difference. We already had a lot of brown fields, but you will probably find those waves of shocking emerald green as you walk. Now that I am thinking back on it, there are so many nice walking days in there, even the one where I had a gps meltdown and we were wildly off course. (I hope I didn't post my tracks into Huesca because they will include a huge detour of several kms).

Thanks for posting sitkapilgrim, and when you are back home and yearning for the camino, remember this suggestion -- Ruta del Ebro and Camino Castellano-Aragonés. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great suggestions. I had considered them when I was considering the Camí San Jaume/catalán. I am fond of flat walking.

But I met Enders when I walked the San Salvador last fall, and he easily talked me into doing the Olvidado next, probably continuing on the Invierno. Not that they are flat!
So many caminos. So little time.

Great suggestions. I had considered them when I was considering the Camí San Jaume/catalán. I am fond of flat walking.

But I met Enders when I walked the San Salvador last fall, and he easily talked me into doing the Olvidado next, probably continuing on the Invierno. Not that they are flat!
So many caminos. So little time.

Hi, Sitkapilgrim, Looks like we think alike, I am hoping to walk a combo of the Vasco Interior, Olvidado and Invierno this year, maybe with a little detour to walk the valley of Silence, one of the prettiest three day loops I have ever walked. Ender has just put out his guide to the Olvidado in Spanish and I am almost done translating it. I expect he’ll get it together pretty quickly after that.

Buen camino, where are you now?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Santa Maria D’Olo, heading for Manresa.
All is well on the Camí San Jaume, except for my problems posting properly.

The route I had been considering is called the Ruta d’en Sevallinga. It may be the GR 178. It leaves the Via Verde 20 km north of Girona at El Pastoral and heads west. 33.2 km to Vilanova De Sau and then 20 km on to Vic. It follows forest roads up to a dam and then along a reservoir. I thought it sounded appealing as it would be a faster route to Vic, in a part of the Camí which is rather expensive for my more simple pilgrim tastes. I saw the yellow arrow at El Pastoral pointing west with an informative map sign.

But locals told me it was too remote for me to walk alone ( what would they think of where I come from in Alaska?). And I suspected accommodation at Vilanova de Sau would be very pricey..

So I followed your way, Laurie, with your invaluable GPS tracks. Some parts were stunningly beautifuI. I took an extra day, staying at a casa rurales 2 km off cami near San Esteve den Bas.

No other pilgrims. No other long distance walkers. When I asked, I was told I was the first pilgrim in months. And this is not too early in the year to walk the Camí San Jaume. "

Hi Stikapilgrim and Laurie,
Nice to read your message. I'm fly into Girona from Ireland West on Tuesday and hoping to walk from Llanca with GPS guides from Laurie, or as much as I can cover. (Thank you).
Can I ask did you just book on booking.com as you went along.
If you happen to have screenshot of any recommended pilgrim friendly accomodation that would be great.
Not so much because of just the price, but just not surprised by hiking poles and the backpack etc.😁

Fingers crossed someone else searching the forum is in the area, and maybe walking around the same day. (Flights from Ireland €30 atm... Worth leaving for Spanish coffee alone.)

Nice to read your message. I'm fly into Girona from Ireland West on Tuesday and hoping to walk from Llanca with GPS guides from Laurie, or as much as I can cover. (Thank you).
If you happen to have screenshot of any recommended pilgrim friendly accomodation that would be great.
Not so much because of just the price, but just not surprised by hiking poles and the backpack etc.😁

Fingers crossed someone else searching the forum is in the area, and maybe walking around the same day. (Flights from Ireland €30 atm... Worth leaving for Spanish coffee alone.)

Lucky you! I think you will love this walk. There are no pilgrim accommodations, and I just looked online the night before and got a room, either through booking or calling direct. At this time of year, there should be no problem. Would love to hear how it goes for you. I enjoy walking alone and found that the lack of people was more than compensated by the gorgeous scenery, the many amazing romanesque churches, and the very nice stops in Girona, Vic, and Figueras. Let us know how it goes for you. Buen camino, Laurie

Sorry to be late responding to this. I just posted as a new thread “My walk Llançà to Santa Cilia March/April 2019” which may be helpful, though probably too late. Hope all is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back