• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent question regarding sleeping bags

freeflyer123

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino de Santiago
About to pack everything to take, we have been wondering about the wisdom of packing sleeping bags. We are taking a tent, primarily because I get the impression that beds might be at a premium this time of year. Can we manage with just silk inner liners? I see that England is to have a heatwave next week, which means that the Camino is probably already in the grips of a hot summer. But I feel the cold something chronic - one of the reasons I wanted to get away to the Camino! Does it get really cold in the mountains on the Camino this time of year? We won't be able to buy sleeping bags once there, so I would love any feedback - positive - that a silk liner will be enough in a tent!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The albergues have been quite warm. They all have blankets. Only you know if you need a sleeping bag in a tent. In the last week into Santiago everyone found a bed. They are easiest to find if you avoid the guidebook destinations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, and the local police were visiting a tent in a park in Portomarin in the morning just at the street intersection for the camping grounds as I walked by from Vilachá. If you are going to break the law, be invisible.

It would also depend on what temperatures you are comfortable with. If you are coming from Northern Europe a liner may be enough.

I'm setting out at the end of next week and will be taking a light summer sleeping bag. While the temperatures will be mostly comfortable, it can get chilly at night, especially on the higher stages. Then again, chilly for me would be anything below 20 degrees as for the past few weeks the minimum night time temperature in Hong Kong has not been lower than 27 degrees C.

The weather is pretty warm at the moment. I live at 890 metres, I sleep with the windows open but I wouldn't want to be without a blanket. There seems to be a heavy dew over night as well. I'm sure the meseta is much warmer but you could have some miserable nights without a sleeping bag.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I suspect that I will be happier with a small lightweight sleeping bag, although my husband probably won't bother as he doesn't feel the cold like I do.

We have been researching all of the campsites as we don't intend to sleep rough. Some albergues, I believe, will even let you use their premises to pitch your tent. I have to admit to being worried that we might not find a place to stay because we are on bikes, and cyclists tend to be turned away until all of the walkers are in (fair enough considering it's a lot harder to walk an extra five miles than it is to cycle). Also, we are taking the tent because we intend to cycle back to the UK via France and camping there is always an option.

Having said that about not sleeping rough, I did read somewhere that two young girls did, only using hiding places to pitch their tents. It's not something I would recommend because we're both too old (65 and 72) to start having to explain ourselves to the local police :eek:

Camping in the mountains no matter the time of year is prone to variable weather. If your plan is to camp then I would recommend a light sleeping bag at the least. Since you are on bikes that should not be a problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back