• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent - Seeking accessible accommodation near Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

astring231

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi all, not sure if there will be a response.

My parents finished their walk this past weekend to Santiago, but my mom had an accident and fell that resulted in surgery. They now will need to stay in the area for at least another 2 weeks for Physical Therapy until they are able to come home to the USA.
Finding accomodations, longer term, and that can handle a wheelchair/walker are difficult to find. No stairs is probably the most important.

Does anyone know of anything potentially we can look into?

Thanks
A

A selection of Camino Jewellery

My parents finished their walk this past weekend to Santiago, but my mom had an accident and fell that resulted in surgery. They now will need to stay in the area for at least another 2 weeks for Physical Therapy until they are able to come home to the USA.
Finding accomodations, longer term, and that can handle a wheelchair/walker are difficult to find. No stairs is probably the most important.

Thanks
A
A,
Sorry to read of your mother's accident. Perhaps this web my be helpful in your search for wheelchair accessible rentals.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks both for such fast responses. I'll look into this with them and see wha may work.

I'll take any other suggestions if they exist.

I'll take any other suggestions if they exist.
I second the earlier suggestion to contact @natefaith or @ivar (put the pointer on their forum names and click on "Start a conversation").

Also, but that is merely a thought - I don't live in Santiago but stayed there for a few nights as so many other forum members did: San Martín Pinario is a popular accommodation for pilgrims and tourists alike, and I see that they have a lift and access for wheelchairs (on Booking.com or own website http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com/). I can't say how suitable the location would be for your parents though. No doubt many other hotels have similar facilities.

Best of luck for your search and a speedy recovery for your mother!

Thanks
A

Hoping for a quick recovery.

This link might be of help? Rental of medical aidsupport.

I guess you/ they already called or mailed your USA health insurance to see what is possible in terms of mobility aid?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@astring231, I see that on Booking.com, under "Property facilities" you can look for "Facilities for disabled guests". I've not checked it in detail such as location and price but I see that there are a few availabilities for long-term stays (2 weeks).

If it is difficult right now to find something for 2 weeks, I would perhaps consider 1 week in one place and another week elsewhere ...

And just curious: Do your parents not have travel insurance that would allow repatriation?

@astring231 So, so sorry to hear about your mom’s accident, and the huge adjustment it must be to have to change plans. Not to mention being far away from each other and the pain and stress your mom and dad are going through!

Hotel Gelmirez has accessible rooms, and is close to shops and cafes. I’m sure other hotels are accessible as well, but this one I know for sure is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all for the links and details.
There's a lot of language barriers at play here with the hospital, my parents, and myself so I appreciate all the support.

I've passed along the suggestions as I also found one by narrowing down the search parameters. They're getting more details tomorrow and have secured a room until the weekend.

Keep them coming as I pass this info along.

As a note, no there's no comprehensive travel insurance as we didn't anticipate major issues and thought the bare coverage would be adequate. But they're also older than they think they are.
For now, she cannot fly at all and the ambulance type flights are woefully too expensive.

There are probably several places in the old town with a large enough lift, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. think all new constructions need to have it by law (the problem would be that many hotels in the old town were constructed before this law.)

This one, for example, should be no problem:
The negatives: It might be pricey, and it is a 10-15 min walk to the cathedral (not in old town).

Having experienced something similar (although in reverse) I can empathise.
The Spanish healthcare system is one of the best in the world and, following surgery and with the need for further recuperative medical assistance; a care plan would need to be formulated before discharge.
I would be surprised if there was no accomodation organised for the recovery after surgery and prior to discharge and I would think that this might be a prerequisite and be part of the care plan.
Perhaps dialogue with the parents travel insurance company might alleviate this problem as it is in your parents interest (and theirs) to assist right up to repatriation should that be required (I have just noticed that this hasn't been taken out).
I would also add that there might not be any incumbency to return by normal means providing that the carrier is willing to accept and the hospital willing to sign a "fit to fly" form. That way the physiotherapy and recovery could be completed at home.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are probably several places in the old town with a large enough lift, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. think all new constructions need to have it by law (the problem would be that many hotels in the old town were constructed before this law.)

This one, for example, should be no problem:
The negatives: It might be pricey, and it is a 10-15 min walk to the cathedral (not in old town).
My parents finished their walk this past weekend to Santiago, but my mom had an accident and fell that resulted in surgery.

The elevator (lift as they say across the pond) at San Martin Pinario is large enough for a wheelchair as well as 3 or 4 other passengers. Can't get much closer to the cathedral but it will be a little pricey. They may have a long term rate if you call.

Yes, there is an elevator/lift at SMP. Interested to know what entrance would someone in a wheelchair use? The main entrance has some pretty steep (for shorter people, moi,) steps.

Yes, there is an elevator/lift at SMP. Interested to know what entrance would someone in a wheelchair use? The main entrance has some pretty steep (for shorter people, moi,) steps.
There is another entrance ,which is situated further along the hall ,after the reception area.As far as I am aware this entrance hasn't any steps.

Thanks
A
We stayed at Hotel Concheiros in a pleasant area of Santiago. The hotel had a lift. Small hotel, serves breakfast.
+34 604 05 29 47

Last edited:
Just as a final aside. If the OP (or Dad) were to google "Hotels Santiago de Compostella Wheelchair accessible" and scroll down the page there is the option to choose "Wheelchair accesible".
This will show all hotels in Santiago that fit this requirement and filter out all the rest.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, we know how to Google and search. Someone above reminded me it was a criteria available. This was more an attempt to find places with availability last minute and could potentially accommodate a wheelchair off* the more regular path.

They're ok for now, surgery went well and she'll be discharged soon. Then the longer road to recovery.

Appreciate the help, we can close this request.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, we know how to Google and search. Someone above reminded me it was a criteria available. This was more an attempt to find places with availability last minute and could potentially accommodate a wheelchair often the more regular path.

They're ok for now, surgery went well and she'll be discharged soon. Then the longer road to recovery.

Appreciate the help, we can close this request.
In 2019 we rented an Airbnb apartment in Santiago. It had a lift. Plus cooking facilities and washing machine. Supermarket and restaurants close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.