• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent.. Sleeping bag needed between Porto-Valenca?

bamse

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (Col de Somport-Finisterre)
Hello!
I have an urgent question (I'm leaving tomorrow)..
Is a sleeping bag needed in the albergues between Porto and Valenca?
Thank you!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In an albergue a sleepingbag , a liner or a sheet to protect the mattress is always an obligation or at least strongly advised for hygienic reasons! I do not know if the Portuguese albergues provide disposable paper covers like in the Xunta ones in Galicia ?
But yes, for your own hygiene and that of your fellow pilgrims please bring some kind of sheet/ textile.

In an albergue a sleepingbag , a liner or a sheet to protect the mattress is always an obligation or at least strongly advised for hygienic reasons! I do not know if the Portuguese albergues provide disposable paper covers like in the Xunta ones in Galicia ?
But yes, for your own hygiene and that of your fellow pilgrims please bring some kind of sheet/ textile.[/QUOT=
in Vairão nearby the Porto airport supplies dispoable covers.
In Cessantes we got a kind of disposable sheet .
A sleepingliner will be enough to take with you.
Several pilgrims we spoke the last few weeks had too much in their backpacks and some sent unused pieces back home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, sleepingliner depends if the person gets cold quickly or not . Some people who get cold quickly prefer a sleepingbag.

My husband and I are both taking silk liners and I am also taking a lightweight sleeping bag because I freeze easily after walking. We are trying to decide whether he should also take a sleeping bag - does anyone know if there are blankets in albergues?

We are trying something new this year. Instead of taking our old, faithful sleeping Bags, which weigh 1.2 kgs each, I have bought a couple of fleece blankets, to which I have sewn some Velcro along the bottom and 20 cms up the side. That way they can be partially closed, or if it's too hot, opened up and used as a blanket. To deal with the bottom sheet, I tore in half a double bed size microfiber sheet. The result is that I have reduced the weight to 550 g. Less than half the weight of the sleeping bag.
We will be walking the Portugues from Oporto the middle two weeks of June, so I expect the weather could well be hot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I are both taking silk liners and I am also taking a lightweight sleeping bag because I freeze easily after walking. We are trying to decide whether he should also take a sleeping bag - does anyone know if there are blankets in albergues?[/QUOTE
There are (sometimes filthy ) blankets in the albergues.
We only used our silk liners some times. We have no sleeping bags.
We spoke a few pilgrims who sent home their sleepingbags back home.

Ve
We are trying something new this year. Instead of taking our old, faithful sleeping Bags, which weigh 1.2 kgs each, I have bought a couple of fleece blankets, to which I have sewn some Velcro along the bottom and 20 cms up the side. That way they can be partially closed, or if it's too hot, opened up and used as a blanket. To deal with the bottom sheet, I tore in half a double bed size microfiber sheet. The result is that I have reduced the weight to 550 g. Less than half the weight of the sleeping bag.
We will be walking the Portugues from Oporto the middle two weeks of June, so I expect the weather could well be hot.
Very handy !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello
Thank you for all the advice.
I took my old sleeping bag and I was very lucky I did.
I stayed in Tamel where were only blankets, in Ponte de Lima no blankets and in Rubiaes were only blankets.
It was a bit hot so I would suggest bringing a very light sleeping bag.
Buen camino!

Tonight we'll be "baptising" Annakappa's liner/cover concoction. The weather has been fine today (last two days were unbearably hot), but the forecast for the coming days is gradually cooler and rain. Report to follow!;)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back