• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgently Need Information

AikidoSteve

I am currently in Cervera, on my third day from Montserrat and I am just about ready to give up and take the bus to another route. In the 65 km so far, about 60 of them have been on paved roads. The 3 km today of an unpaved forest road was paradise. My body cannot take constantly walking on pavement.

So, my question is whether it gets any better in the near future or is the entire route like this?

Just to give a little perspective, I am not a total wimp and do not quit easily. This is my seventh Camino in five years.

Any information in the next few hours will help me in making my decision.

Thanks,
Steve

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Steve,
I think things will get better, but that's a subjective opinion -- see my blog. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...catalán-from-montserrat-through-huesca.36443/

All I can say is that I am averse to lots of hard pounding, and I have memories of the first four days of the Levante being nothing but pavement, and four days out of Santander being nothing but pavement, but I don't have that impression of the camino from Montserrat. I do remember that that first day to Jorba was virtually all pavement, though. We went through Huesca, San Juan de la Peña, and Jaca, though, and it may be that the dazzling beauty of that part colored my assessment of the first part.

Wish I could give you specific information, but it is all so impressionistic. I do have overall great memories of this route, though it is also due to having been lucky to walk with a great buddy.

Let us know what you decide, you could move over to the Ebro-Castellano Aragonés, which I walked last year and absolutely loved. Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Steve, I walked this route last year in reverse (as the Camino Ignaciano). There are quite a few roads, but as a general rule my memory is that they are dirt roads, rather than bitumen. There is bitumen leaving Montserrat, and then again heading into Logrono. My memory, which might be faulty, is of dirt roads though on the whole - not of walking in forests etc. I thought it a very interesting way nonetheless - though there were a few spots where we resorted to catching the train due to accommodation difficulties (we were on the road at the "end" of the pilgrim system. Buen Camino, Janet

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back