• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US ATM cards not working

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo 2021
Portugues 2022
Frances 2023
I am hearing today from a number of American travelers that they are experiencing problems with getting euros at bank ATM machines with US issued debit cards. It involves a number of people from around the US and different banks. The Spanish banks have said that it is not a problem with thier end. Has anyone on this forum heard any rumors of this. I am leaving on Monday for the CF so I’m trying to be prepared.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, last year for some reason our debit card would not work in Jaca even at different banks. We made two calls to our bank at home and they were not receiving the request and could not see it in the electronic system for some reason and could not help us figure it out. We had plenty of cash on hand so we were advised to try in another town. Bingo! That worked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree and so do I but this seems to be something that has just happened and is being discussed by current travelers on FB American pilgrims on the Camino.
Unfortunately, I've found plenty of misinformation on FB groups.
I would ask some questions of those who are reporting this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Phil saw this post on the APOC Facebook page a few minutes ago. Again just go prepared with some euros in hand, stop at an ATM in the Airport, maybe try in the town where you start. Call your bank's customer service and by the way when you call from Spain in the morning there isn't much wait time because the US is asleep...

Unfortunately, I've found plenty of misinformation on FB groups.
I would ask some questions of those who are reporting this.
I am not from the USA and not on FB but reckon if lots of USA folks were having problems getting Euros out of ATMs it would be in the news. It certainly would in UK. Probably be a few who have pressed a few wrongs PINs, a few who don’t have enough funds etc. Misonfirnation is huge out there, we see plenty on here of course particularly around ATMs. I could be wrong of course.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am hearing today from a number of American travelers that they are experiencing problems with getting euros at bank ATM machines with US issued debit cards. It involves a number of people from around the US and different banks. The Spanish banks have said that it is not a problem with thier end. Has anyone on this forum heard any rumors of this. I am leaving on Monday for the CF so I’m trying to be prepared.

Another thought—typically you have to alert your bank when traveling so it doesn’t flag your account. I’m wondering if these folks didn’t do this?

Edit* I didn’t see the comment above which slso suggested this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As others have said already, there may be a hundred and one reasons why one individual’s debit card is not “working” at an ATM, and trivial user errors are among them. Rick Steves says this:

Know your cards. Debit cards from any major US bank will work in any standard European bank's ATM (ideally, use a debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo).
ATMs at banks are enabled for a number of interbank networks - you sometimes see all these logos displayed at the ATM. I don’t know what US issued debit cards generally look like - my own debit cards have the Maestro logo which is part of the MasterCard network. But debit card owners don’t even need to know this or pay attention to this these days.

Know your cards. Debit cards from any major US bank will work in any standard European bank's ATM (ideally, use a debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo).
My experience goes back 5-6 years, but I also had trouble using my US debit card in Spain. In Navarre as I recall. Fortunately, the ATM machines I tried without success never "ate" my card and I just tried other banks. I believe Santander Bank, which operates in the US, accepted my card and provided me with cash. So did some other banks along the CF. Curiously, I had been walking on the Voie du Puy for a couple of years before that and never once did I have a problem with cash withdrawals (using the same debit card). Nor in Italy on a couple of ski vacations in 2013 and 2015. And yes, Rick Steves, my debit card had a Visa logo and in advance of each trip I had notified my bank of my foreign travel plans.

I regret I cannot recall which banks "refused" my card and which banks accepted it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am not currently in Europe - but in my more recent travels - I travelled all over Europe in 2019 (UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Budepest, Czech Republic, Poland, etc) and then did the Camino Frances/Muxia/Fisterra in 2021 and Norte/Primitivo followed by a trip to Sicily and Barcelona in 2022. I have NEVER had a problem using my Visa, Mastercard (except in "cash is king circumstances) or my debit card. For ATM's - I only use "bank" ATMs that are attached to a bank in which I recognize the name (so bigger banks - not small local brand banks). My debit card does have the Visa logo - which may make a difference if you are using an older "ATM card" that doesn't have a Visa/Mastercard logo.

Many recommend only using the bank ATMs attached to banks during the hours when banks are open - in case there is a problem. I like that - but quite honestly I don't stick to the hours the banks are open.

I do bring debit cards from two banks just in case there's a problem with one of them. So far I haven't had to use the second card.
I don't have two different bank debit cards - but I do use my credit cards for backup and don't wait until I am out of cash to go to the ATM. I do my best to never run out of cash which I found pretty easy to do on the Camino with a little planning.

No problems here on Camino Portuguese Central/Coastal

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know and can't vouch for the Facebook poster, but FWIW she says she's in a group, they're all having this problem, they notified their banks and card issuers before leaving, and they've tried multiple banks in multiple towns.

I am hearing today from a number of American travelers that they are experiencing problems with getting euros at bank ATM machines with US issued debit cards. It involves a number of people from around the US and different banks. The Spanish banks have said that it is not a problem with thier end. Has anyone on this forum heard any rumors of this.
We arrived in Spain from the US on April 10th and my husband was not able to get cash with his debit card after trying several places. I was able to get cash with my card, the backup. Both of our cards were with Capital One but different accounts. Since our backup card worked, we didn't try to contact the bank for my husband's card. We haven't tried again since so don't know if the problem has resolved. Before we left home we used both cards just to make sure they were working and they were working fine then.

We are in Pamplona and had no trouble using the ATM machines at Santeander

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Make certain that your PIN number for any card, Credit or Debit, is FOUR numbers ONLY.

ATM machines in Spain / Portugal will not accept other types of PINs.

Always have at least 2 tested methods to obtain cash. I have developed more than that over the years.

1. I keep all the leftover Euros from my last trip - as I know that I will be back. so, I usually arrive with €200 - €300 in my wallet.
2. I hit the first ATM I encounter on landing, as long as it is connected to a real bank. I get another €200 - €300 to test that my debit card(s) work.
3. I refill my cash in-pocket about every four days, depending on my spend rate.
4. I pay for EVERYTHING in cash, except for multi-night stays in a proper hotel.
5. I have a non-resident European debit card “Cash Contact,” a U.S. debit card, and several credit cards - any of which I can get a cash advance on. But using credit card cash advances is my emergency Plan C or D.

I have been traveling globally for 50 years, and never had problems in any currency, using this basic plan.

Hope this helps,

Tom

In Spain since March 7. Walked Caminos Mozárabe, San Salvador, and Primitivo with no ATM issues other than that more Spanish banks are charging higher ATM fees - as much as 7 euros. I now take out 200-250 euros at a time as a result. Should also note that post-pandemia there is MUCH higher acceptance of credit cards, even in the pueblos.

A little different issue, in summer of 2021, I used my credit card for most purchases on the CF without problem. However, it would not work for train/bus purchases or for governmental fees. Most disappointing on the return through Barcelona when I couldn't get into Sagrada Familia (they don't take cash). Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do have euros from last year and I’ll take some USD to convert if needed and I will go to the ATM at Madrid airport when I land. Buen Camino!

Most of those I have encountered with problems were trying to withdraw too much. They had forgotten that if their daily limit is $300 that €300 euros exceeds their daily limit due to the foreign exchange rate. The atm will generally just reject without telling the reason.

A little different issue, in summer of 2021, I used my credit card for most purchases on the CF without problem. However, it would not work for train/bus purchases or for governmental fees. Most disappointing on the return through Barcelona when I couldn't get into Sagrada Familia (they don't take cash). Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Just bought bus and train tickets in the last few days after finishing my caminos. No problems using a credit card. I would remind all those over 60 to take advantage of Renfe's Tarjeta Dorada, which costs 6 euros and provides large discounts. My rail ticket from Santiago to Madrid dropped from 86 to 64 euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read the post. The OP said there were 8 people in their group, all from different areas in the US having issues with their bank cards and wondering if anybody else has had similar issues in the last three months. The responses were like a bed bug post. So many not believing there is an issue or totally condescending. I'm curious because the US is having some major bank failures. Regional banks are on the verge of collapse. Seems reasonable to wonder when ATM after ATM says no moola for you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anecdotally, when I walked the CF in 2021, I found that my Charles Schwab card, which usually works everywhere, would not work at the smaller Spanish regional bank ATM's throughout Spain. The common thing I noticed about these ATM's were they had an odd verbiage and preselection on a "pre-screen" before allowing you to pass to a secondary screen to select the account from which to withdraw (savings vs checking). Despite trying every combination of options, my card didn't like that pre-screen. Fortunately, Santander ATM's are everywhere, and they worked just fine.

Specific to the issue: Given the reported circumstances, i.e. multiple people using different bank cards, I wouldn't casually dismiss the issue as 'user error', or, conversely, promote the idea that US bank failures might be the cause without evidence. More likely, Occam's Razor: it is/was an ATM internetwork banking communication issue, likely to be resolved without explanation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My advice has always been to have some Euros before you leave the U.S. Carry them in a moneybelt or other hidden-away place (not your back pocket, your backpack, your fannypack, etc.)--except for a small amount you keep more available for incidental expenses. Divide your cash and credit cards between you and your travel partner if you have one. Notify your bank before you travel. It used to be the case that your pin number for use at ATMs in Spain+ was supposed to be FOUR digits. Not sure it that is still the case, but what we use. Plan to replenish cash when there is the opportunity rather than waiting until the last minute--especially when you are in a region where you are mostly going through small towns. Keep in mind that places may be closed on Sundays, Mondays, holidays and other celebrations (the Spain love celebrations as do I!). We have hiked thousands of Camino miles and never had a serious money shortage--just plan ahead a bit. Cheers,

It is stressful when the system does not work properly. I encourage you to call customer service with your bank when this happens as they help identify the problem.

Yes, have some backup euros. Yes do everything to prepare. It may not be helpful to hear, that it has never happened to someone else. It can happen and does at times. We have loaned people euros at times for a day or too. If it happens to someone you are friends with, try to be supportive rather than dismissive.

I have also had my credit card hacked while in Spain and that is also annoying and stressful. Just try to help your fellow pilgrims by listening if that is all you can afford to do.

This is a known problem for holders of US credit cards (not all but quite a few): You cannot make online purchases in Spain with your credit card because your credit card issuer did not activate a functionality that is known in Europe as scecure payment method. It happens only when you make online financial transactions like buying a ticket for the train, or a ticket for a museum, or making a booking on the website of the Roncesvalles albergue. The payment page of these websites displays a specific logo - usually for Visa and Mastercard credit cards and sometimes also for American Express - that are meant to inform you about the requirement that your credit card must be enabled for this function.

The situation described as to the issue in the Facebook group is different: it concerns getting cash from ATMs; in small towns in Spain; using US issued debit cards (not US issued credit cards such as Visa and Mastercard - this can make a big difference as to using ATMs for cash withdrawal in a foreign country, and yes I know that fees associated with credit cards are often higher than those associated with debit cards).

We will probably never know if and how the issue has been solved. The thread on FB spawned nearly 300 replies. I stopped reading after the tenth reply because so many replies were irrelevant and some contained glaring misinformation which was also pointed out by the administrator of the FB group who has closed the thread in the meantime.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a known problem for holders of US credit cards (not all but quite a few): You cannot make online purchases in Spain with your credit card because your credit card issuer did not activate a functionality that is known in Europe as scecure payment method. It happens only when you make online financial transactions like buying a ticket for the train, or a ticket for a museum, or making a booking on the website of the Roncesvalles albergue. The payment page of these websites displays a specific logo - usually for Visa and Mastercard credit cards and sometimes also for American Express - that are meant to inform you about the requirement that your credit card must be enabled for this function.

The situation described as to the issue in the Facebook group is different: it concerns getting cash from ATMs; in small towns in Spain; using US issued debit cards (not US issued credit cards such as Visa and Mastercard - this can make a big difference as to using ATMs for cash withdrawal in a foreign country, and yes I know that fees associated with credit cards are often higher than those associated with debit cards).

We will probably never know if and how the issue has been solved. The thread on FB spawned nearly 300 replies. I stopped reading after the tenth reply because so many replies were irrelevant and some contained glaring misinformation which was also pointed out by the administrator of the FB group who has closed the thread in the meantime.
Thanks for the info

using US issued debit cards (not US issued credit cards such as Visa and Mastercard
Visa and Mastercard issues debit card as well as credit card. The difference between the two is that a credit card allows to not immediately decrease the amount on the account.
But for ATM withdrawal, that makes no differences. The particularity of an ATM is that it needs to be connected to the issuing bank network in order to deliver the money: transient network failures could explain why they fail from time to time.

I had another look at the FB thread in question.

It is impossible to know, or even just speculate, what the issue with this group of 8 people with 8 US issued debit cards on the Camino between Sarria and Santiago is because the person does not describe the issue in any details - just that the ATMs do “not give euros“ (no indication how often they tried at different ATMs, at the ATMs of which Spanish banks, in which towns, how far they could proceed, whether there was an error message or what, whether their debit cards have been issued by major US banks) and that this is somehow “a growing issue“ since “about 3 months” though based on what this observation is made I don’t know.

Utterly futile to continue to speculate.

Try to get euros at the airport when you land. Also we found on busy weekend days that cash machines ran out of cash in Santiago old town. No trouble at machines outside the old town.

Airport exchange is extremely expensive these days. Best to get start up euros at home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do have euros from last year and I’ll take some USD to convert if needed and I will go to the ATM at Madrid airport when I land. Buen Camino!

Don’t bother to convert US dollars in Spain. Convert them at home. There was another whole thread about that.

I had to do some trial and error when I first tried to use my debit card in Spain. In the US, I get the option to withdraw money from checking or savings (even though my card is linked only to Savings). In Spain I got 3 options: Current account, Checking or Savings. Current Account is the correct answer. You also are presented with the option to record your transaction in Eurors or Dollars (assuming the system knew that this was a US card). Euros is the correct answer. I, and others, had issues using Caja Rual Bank ATMs.

I would avoid the EuroNet ATMs in the airports. At CDG, I think they extracted 18% for the convenience. Credit card can be used to purchase tickets and food. I should have waited until I got to Montparnasse where there were ATMs across the street from the station.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Airport exchange is extremely expensive these days. Best to get start up euros at home.

I meant through an ATM at the airport rather than the money changers. Sorry I was not more clear.
Right. I would never use one of those currency exchange booths or machines that masquerade as ATMs, but a bank ATM at the airport (Santander, Caixa, etc) gives the same rate as their machines in town.

It might be the difference between Visa debit cards and Mastercard debit cards. We discovered that some European banks take ONLY Visa debit cards.

I notify my bank and stress to them to make a notation in my record, even though they insist that it is not necessary any longer. I once got caught inFrance on weekend in a small town with little cash. The Card was accepted once, but then was rejected the second time, even though I had called previously notified the bank. They hadn’t made a notation and considered the first withdrawal suspicious activity. Hence my account was frozen. Those were the days when you did not have 24hr service so I had to wait till Monday 3pm GMT to reach someone in the States. That has never happened again, and I have never had a card rejected in Europe.

Yes, last year for some reason our debit card would not work in Jaca even at different banks. We made two calls to our bank at home and they were not receiving the request and could not see it in the electronic system for some reason and could not help us figure it out. We had plenty of cash on hand so we were advised to try in another town. Bingo! That worked.
That's really weird!

That's really weird!
Yes, we were in some kind of banking black hole, but went over to Logrono on the bus and train to attend an anniversary celebration of the founding of another albergue and our cards worked fine. Customer service at our US bank told us to try in another town as they could not even see where we had tried at 4 different banks with 2 different cards in Jaca. So it happens and it isn't fun.

Yes, we were in some kind of banking black hole, but went over to Logrono on the bus and train to attend an anniversary celebration of the founding of another albergue and our cards worked fine. Customer service at our US bank told us to try in another town as they could not even see where we had tried at 4 different banks with 2 different cards in Jaca. So it happens and it isn't fun.
Once in Italy I had an ATM card die on me (problems with the magnetic strip, apparently). I had to do a cash advance on a credit card. I could not believe the amount of paperwork and time that took. You'd think I was buying a house!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you know if a US credit card holder can phone their bank and activate this function?

Are people aware that they should check each ATM to be sure that the displayed logos match one of the logos on their card? E.g "Interac", "Plus", "Cirrus"?

Incidentally, the two largest banks in Canada do not want to be notified anymore when we travel.
Yes, I was in CIBC a few days ago buying some Euros for my May trip and the teller said I don't have to phone to let them know I'll be in Spain.

On Caminos in Spain (& Portugal) never had a problem with getting money at a bank ATM EXCEPT one time the machine ‘ate’ my bank card — fortunately, the bank was open, and a teller inside retrieved my card. So now, of course, I only withdraw money during banking hours!

On Caminos in Spain (& Portugal) never had a problem with getting money at a bank ATM EXCEPT one time the machine ‘ate’ my bank card — fortunately, the bank was open, and a teller inside retrieved my card. So now, of course, I only withdraw money during banking hours!
Fortunately, more and more ATMs now use the "tap" function so you don't have to out your card in the machine.

Yes, I was in CIBC a few days ago buying some Euros for my May trip and the teller said I don't have to phone to let them know I'll be in Spain.
As a UK card holder I never ever inform my banks that I am travelling and I am nomadic. That seems to have died out about 10 -15 years ago. Even going places further afield than Europe such as India, China, Japan and South America.

It depends on whether you use an ATM (don’t think the rate differs), or a counter (just don’t do it) !

Edit…sorry a few folks have already made this point!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a UK card holder I never ever inform my banks that I am travelling and I am nomadic. That seems to have died out about 10 -15 years ago.
This might vary because this isn't my experience with Australian banks. It only takes a phone call to your bank to check whether they want to be informed about where you are travelling. I would rather have them knowing where I am going to be travelling so transactions from those places don't set off alerts while others still do.

This might vary because this isn't my experience with Australian banks. It only takes a phone call to your bank to check whether they want to be informed about where you are travelling. I would rather have them knowing where I am going to be travelling so transactions from those places don't set off alerts while others still do.
Sure understood hence why I specified why I was a UK cardholder. My last recollection was of doing this via an online form maybe 15 years ago. Thankfully most banks in UK no longer require it, and to be honest not even something I would think of…not even sure my bank has a phone contact… guess they must have. The USA banking system purely from what I gather on here seems still ‘old school!’ around stuff like contactless, and phoning up! Btw Australia is definately the best country I have been to re ‘contactless’! Didn’t even handle any money in a recent 6 weeks there (albeit in major cities)!! Fantastic!

It is not relevant for the majority of forum members but for what it is worth, I have debit and credit cards from banks in different EU countries and I have never ever heard that one has to inform one‘s bank that one travels abroad and will spend money there. Of course, we live on a small continent with dozens of countries, and spending money abroad is something that happens a lot more often than when you live on a larger continent with larger or more isolated countries … ☺️

It is a very long time ago but I remember those days when you could only draw cash abroad from an ATM by using your credit card and not by using a debit card - question of interbank payment networks.

Major interbank payment networks of Spanish banks are Servired, Euronet 6000 and Telebanco 4B. Customers don’t need to know about it but it is entirely possible that there is an issue of incompatibility in some rare occasions and rare combinations of ATM bank and card issuer bank. If I were certain that I am using the ATM correctly, the first thing I‘d do is try ATMs of other banks and the second thing I‘d do if I were desperate would be using a different debit card and then my Visa credit card or my Mastercard credit card for withdrawing cash.

Last edited:
It is not relevant for the majority of forum members but for what it is worth, I have debit and credit cards from banks in different EU countries and I have never ever heard that one has to inform one‘s bank that one travels abroad and will spend money there. Of course, because we live on a small continent with dozens of countries, spending money abroad is something that happens a lot more often than when you live on a larger continent with larger or more isolated countries … ☺️

It is a very long time ago but I remember those days when you could only draw cash abroad from an ATM by using your credit card and not by using a debit card - question of payment networks. A comment on point of sales and not ATM - even in recent years, I’ve encountered situations in EU countries where I could not pay by credit card (and it had nothing to do with the owner wanting to avoid commission fees) but only by debit card and vice versa. My hairdresser, strangely enough, has one of these standard small devices, just like anybody else, but it takes only credit cards. which is quite unusual around here.

Major payment networks of Spanish banks are Servired, Euronet 6000 and Telebanco 4B. Customers don’t need to know about it but it is entirely possible that there is an issue of incompatibility in some rare occasions and combinations of ATM and card issuer.
Thank you. The only place I have had any really difficulties is South American ATMs. Not all banks seem to accept UK cards and assume other European countries too.

Recently had an issue a with a French ticket site where they didn’t seem to accept my UK card when ordering tickets and no real idea why not but it’s rare at ATMs and online. Normally the user is doing something wrong!

Australia again - with ANZ I can go to my online account and log my travel plans at any time - great if you have a change of itinerary. ANZ have a particularly robust card security system and question anything that looks irregular or dodgy - so I don't want them thinking I am still at home when I am not. :)

Major interbank payment networks of Spanish banks are Servired, Euronet 6000 and Telebanco 4B. Customers don’t need to know about it but it is entirely possible that there is an issue of incompatibility in some rare occasions and rare combinations of ATM bank and card issuer bank.
Here‘s what I mean (see below screenshot of a list of ATMs of a few banks in Melide on the Camino Francés with indication of the interbank payment network to which they are connected). Standard US debit cards of major banks will work without an issue. Whatever the reason for the problem aired on FB is, we are unlikely to ever know. It appears to be a rather isolated problem of a small group of travellers from the USA on a short stint in Spain on the Camino from Sarria.

1682060789856.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Australia again - with ANZ I can go to my online account and log my travel plans at any time - great if you have a change of itinerary. ANZ have a particularly robust card security system and question anything that looks irregular or dodgy - so I don't want them thinking I am still at home when I am not. :)
Sure though I would guess that the fact that European banks don’t ask for this detail doesn’t mean they are less secure. Certainly when someone tried to use my card overseas a few year back the bank were alert to it, despite me not notifying!

Well, interesting, this is the other way round: using standard European debit cards and credit cards for cash withdrawal at ATMs outside of Europe. I just saw that one major bank (not one of mine) says that you must activate your debit card for this purpose either temporarily or permanently - you can do this online of course - and if you travel to the USA you must to do it for your credit card, too, if you want to use it for cash withdrawal at an ATM in the USA. I don’t know how common this requirement is these days (and I do know that there are many other cards and means for getting cash at ATMs abroad).

Just wondering: my credit cards have been secured by a PIN for ages. Here in Europe I have not signed a paper slip for decades. Is it even possible to pay with our credit cards without a PIN abroad outside of Europe? Just wondering …

Is it even possible to pay with our credit cards without a PIN abroad outside of Europe? Just wondering …
It depends upon your card.
Cards recently issued from inside the SEPA (Single Euro Payment Area) area should not have a signature panel on their back, therefore should not be used with signature only.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another piece of trivial information from the website of a major European bank about withdrawing cash from an ATM in the USA by using a European debit card:

Withdrawing cash dollars is possible with your Maestro* debit card. However, most ATMs in the USA still retrieve the necessary data via the magnetic strip and not via the EMV chip.
*) Maestro functionality is something that practically all our debit cards have, either as such or co-branded.

Just to point out that ATMs and cards may look alike but the underlying technology may be different and may depend on the ATM and/or the card. Much of this is streamlined and standardised these days of course which is why the overwhelming majority of us debit card users “never had a problem“ when getting local cash from an ATM abroad.

Last edited:
I only have debit cards, not credits cards, so have no knowledge on that side of things. Only been in USA for half a day in the last three years, and didn’t use ATM, very regular visitor before that and didn’t notify anyone of anything, and no issues.

I recollect having issues in Brasil and using HSBC to get money out after a few Brasilian banks rejected me. That said I was there last year and seemed easier! Never use your cards for anything in Argentina as the rate is rubbish!

I'd take the simple solution. When you withdraw funds, you are going through a series of servers and routers that probably number in the tens as well as many network connections. If ANY of those fail, you don't get through and don't get money. Add to this the normal business cycle where some capabilities may be cut off during the early morning hours (9-12 noon) in Europe and you will get the intermittent failure. If you can't get your money for 12 hours or more then contact the bank. We've assume that because it worked last time, it will always work. The systems are reliable but complex.

Make certain that your PIN number for any card, Credit or Debit, is FOUR numbers ONLY.

ATM machines in Spain / Portugal will not accept other types of PINs.

Always have at least 2 tested methods to obtain cash. I have developed more than that over the years.

1. I keep all the leftover Euros from my last trip - as I know that I will be back. so, I usually arrive with €200 - €300 in my wallet.
2. I hit the first ATM I encounter on landing, as long as it is connected to a real bank. I get another €200 - €300 to test that my debit card(s) work.
3. I refill my cash in-pocket about every four days, depending on my spend rate.
4. I pay for EVERYTHING in cash, except for multi-night stays in a proper hotel.
5. I have a non-resident European debit card “Cash Contact,” a U.S. debit card, and several credit cards - any of which I can get a cash advance on. But using credit card cash advances is my emergency Plan C or D.

I have been traveling globally for 50 years, and never had problems in any currency, using this basic plan.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Tom, I have not heard of a "cash contact." What is that?

I had another look at the FB posts. It is a rather amazing exchange. The poster in question remains very unspecific about details of their ATM/debit card issue, can’t speak to [sic] exchanges in big cities or airports - just the ATMs very recently on the Camino, declares it to be a major growing issue and feels a duty to warn all new pilgrims but as far as I can make out the poster made all these surprising discoveries after about one or two days on the Camino in Galicia and other posts about meals and tipping make me think that this is this poster's first time on Camino in Galicia ... 😵‍💫🥴

I am hoping for a post that says that it has worked now but experience tells me that positive feedback is much rarer than negative feedback and online feedback after a problem having been solved is the rarest of all.

I had another look at the FB posts. It is a rather amazing exchange. The poster in question remains very unspecific about details of their ATM/debit card issue, can’t speak to [sic] exchanges in big cities or airports - just the ATMs very recently on the Camino, declares it to be a major growing issue and feels a duty to warn all new pilgrims but as far as I can make out the poster made all these surprising discoveries after about one or two days on the Camino in Galicia and other posts about meals and tipping make me think that this is this poster's first time on Camino in Galicia ... 😵‍💫🥴

I am hoping for a post that says that it has worked now but experience tells me that positive feedback is much rarer than negative feedback and online feedback after a problem having been solved is the rarest of all.
Just checked Fox News and CNN, and various newspapers, expecting headlines of ‘US citizens denied Euros due global banking crisis’ and no sign of anything!

I tend to find that people who have an issue with one thing, have a issue with loads of other things too. There was a classic on here a while back though politeness stopped me from pointing it out!

I had another look at the FB posts. It is a rather amazing exchange. The poster in question remains very unspecific about details of their ATM/debit card issue, can’t speak to [sic] exchanges in big cities or airports - just the ATMs very recently on the Camino, declares it to be a major growing issue and feels a duty to warn all new pilgrims

As soon as the OP noted the source, the exact scenario you just described played out in my mind. I’m chuckling because I didn't need to read the fb post to know how it transpired.

Typically when I run into issues like this I call my bank and work it out from there. 100% of the time it gets resolved.

I tend to find that people who have an issue with one thing, have a issue with loads of other things too. There was a classic on here a while back though politeness stopped me from pointing it out!

Precisely.

Just checked Fox News and CNN, and various newspapers, expecting headlines of ‘US citizens denied Euros due global banking crisis’ and no sign of anything!

Like I said, this forum is excellent for getting grounded realty checks and “outside the bubble” help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have cards from different countries and have once had my UK card stopped when trying to withdraw cash in Sarajevo (I had made a fairly rapid tour of the Balkans!). I just used my Irish card for the rest of the trip. I certainly don't think you need to tell your bank if you will only be travelling within the SEPA area.

Tom, I have not heard of a "cash contact." What is that?
It is a generic term for a chip enabled, debit card in Europe. In the US, and elsewhere, we just call them debit or ATM cards.

European countries have used debit and tap-contact cards for many years before we did on this side of the pond. In many places, tapping a ‘cash contact’ card replaced the need for cash - even for small inexpensive items. Here in the US, my bank finally adopted these cards about five years ago.

Hope this helps,

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As soon as the OP noted the source, the exact scenario you just described played out in my mind. I’m chuckling because I didnt need to read the fb post to know how to all transpired.

Typically when I run into issues like this I call my bank and work it out from there. 100% of the time it gets resolved.

Precisely.

Like I said, this forum is excellent for getting grounded realty checks and “outside the bubble” help.
Indeed! Nothing wrong with having multiple issues btw! But probably don’t assume that it’s everything else or everyone else and not you, and spread all sorts on social media.

It is a generic term for a chip enabled, debit card in Europe. In the US, and elsewhere, we just call them debit or ATM cards.

European countries have used debit and tap-contact cards for many years before we did on this side of the pond. In many places, tapping a ‘cash contact’ card replaced the need for cash - even for small inexpensive items. Here in the US, my bank finally adopted these cards about five years ago.

Hope this helps,

Tom
In the UK known as ‘contactless’. Huge growth in Spain recently, 25% over a small period of time for various reasons.

May be something to this. I have been traveling around Spain for a Month and have withdrawn Euros on my Debit. However, this morning in Pamplona I was denied twice.

Are people aware that they should check each ATM to be sure that the displayed logos match one of the logos on their card? E.g "Interac", "Plus", "Cirrus"?

Incidentally, the two largest banks in Canada do not want to be notified anymore when we travel.
I had problems last year with my Canadian debit (ATM) card not working in quite a few of the banks along the CF. When I reached my bank (Yes! I had let them know I was going to be travelling in Spain), I was advised I had to check the logos on the bank machines with the logos on the back of my card --- once I did that, I was fine.

May be something to this. I have been traveling around Spain for a Month and have withdrawn Euros on my Debit. However, this morning in Pamplona I was denied twice.
What happened the third time? Do you also hope this issue is temporary and not part of the plan to push folks into the CBDC system? I read this on Facebook from the person who had, or may be still has, the debit card/ATM issue. 😶

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

What happened the third time? Do you also hope this issue is temporary and not part of the plan to push folks into the CBDC system? I read this on Facebook from the person who had, or may be still has, the debit card/ATM issue. 😶
Follow up, I was able to get Euros from my debit card in Puenta la Reina.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My pin is 5 digits (Canadian bank - you can choose 4-6 digits) and I had no problem with withdrawing funds all along Camino Frances.
Thank you for this information.

For years now, I’ve read on the forum that people could successfully use cards with 6-digit PINs at ATMs in Spain and yet I continue to read the claim that one must change one’s PIN to 4 digits for Spain. I know for a fact that there has been a change a few years ago: banks in countries like Switzerland, Germany and Belgium allow or even prescribe PINs of 6 digits for the debit and credit cards of their own customers. Never ever have I heard or read that they must change their PIN for Spain despite the fact that they travel in their hundreds of thousands to Spain every year.

On a website I found this info which causes me to think that the 4 digits requirement is outdated and has now become misinformation:

Until 2013, the number of digits in the PIN was an issue because, despite recommendations from the Visa network, some financial institutions had not adapted their technology accordingly. Since 2015, changes have been made worldwide. Accepted PINs range from a minimum of 4 to 6 digits and up to 8 digits in some countries. If you are having trouble withdrawing money it is not your PIN that is at fault.

My Swiss card with a 6-digit pin has worked everywhere I've been in Europe for the past 7 years (Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Austria).

My Swiss card with a 6-digit pin has worked everywhere I've been in Europe for the past 7 years (Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Austria).
Thank you for this confirmation.

I guess that people are simply not keeping up with technological developments, or they are confused about requirements (for example the standards of a card issuing bank for their own national customers versus the standards of ATM interbank networks for all their international users - two different things) and they are thereby keeping this old chestnut about the 4-digit requirement alive. We won’t be able to eliminate it from numerous websites with such misleading travel “advice” but the least we could do is let go of it on the forum.

Also I think the point about daily maximums may need repeating. If you can't get the required amount try to go down to something well within the limit, the machine won't tell you that you have exceeded the limit but will just give you back your card.

Also I think the point about daily maximums may need repeating. If you can't get the required amount try to go down to something well within the limit, the machine won't tell you that you have exceeded the limit but will just give you back your card.
Yes, and you need to be aware there are two factors. Your own bank will set a limit for daily withdrawals, but ATMs may also have a lower limit. This should mean that, although the amount you can withdraw in one transaction will be lower, you can make another withdrawal up to your bank's daily limit.

We had trouble with CajaSur ATM’s on the Mozárabe recently. Finally got one to work in a larger town. Problem may have been:
1. machines were out of money, 2. Some places listed hours for the machines. Even though they appeared to be open and working at all hours, perhaps they were not, To be safe, get money when you can in larger towns. At first I thought it may have been a problem with CajaSur, but suddenly one worked in the middle of the day. Whew!

I used mine this morning in Padron: worked fine. Santander bank.

We had no problems last year. We did notify our bank the time period we would be out of the country and in Spain. Wonder if that could be part of the problem with cards being rejected?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.