• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US Covid Test for Spain w/i 48 hrs--test may take 72 hrs

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: July 2021, April 2023, May 2024
I did a search on this site and didn't see an answer to this. I'm flying Iberia on 7/9 from Boston. Their website says a Covid test isn't required to enter if I'm fully vaccinated (which I am). But the the Spain US embassy site says I need a Covid test taken with 48 hours of landing in Spain. The Covid test site info says the test results may take 72 hours. There's no local option for me to go in person to get a PCR test and get the results immediately-- it's a do-it-yourself and send it off to the testing lab option. Has anyone gone through this process yet? Looking for any tips or suggestions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you looking at this news release? https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I only see that unvaccinated travelers who have special permission to enter Spain have to fulfill the 48-hour requirement:

"Unvaccinated U.S. citizens cannot enter Spain for tourism. Unvaccinated travelers can only enter Spain if they have already obtained special permission from the Government of Spain or meet very specific requirements. Please check the Spanish regulations carefully before attempting to travel. Travelers who meet the requirements or have obtained special permission from the Government of Spain will need to show a negative COVID test result taken with 48 hours of arrival to Spain or a medical certificate showing recovery from COVID and complete a Health Control Form and generate a QR code (See Entry and Exit Requirements below)."

Since you're already fully vaccinated you don't have to do a PCR test. You just need to fill in the form at the SPTH website and make sure you have your vaccine certificate for Covid.

Hope that helps! :)

Are you looking at this news release? https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I only see that unvaccinated travelers who have special permission to enter Spain have to fulfill the 48-hour requirement:

"Unvaccinated U.S. citizens cannot enter Spain for tourism. Unvaccinated travelers can only enter Spain if they have already obtained special permission from the Government of Spain or meet very specific requirements. Please check the Spanish regulations carefully before attempting to travel. Travelers who meet the requirements or have obtained special permission from the Government of Spain will need to show a negative COVID test result taken with 48 hours of arrival to Spain or a medical certificate showing recovery from COVID and complete a Health Control Form and generate a QR code (See Entry and Exit Requirements below)."

Since you're already fully vaccinated you don't have to do a PCR test. You just need to fill in the form at the SPTH website and make sure you have your vaccine certificate for Covid.

Thank you so much. I missed the "un." I'm so relieved. Thank you!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did a search on this site and didn't see an answer to this. I'm flying Iberia on 7/9 from Boston. Their website says a Covid test isn't required to enter if I'm fully vaccinated (which I am). But the the Spain US embassy site says I need a Covid test taken with 48 hours of landing in Spain. The Covid test site info says the test results may take 72 hours. There's no local option for me to go in person to get a PCR test and get the results immediately-- it's a do-it-yourself and send it off to the testing lab option. Has anyone gone through this process yet? Looking for any tips or suggestions.
I think that you are misreading the information from the Embassy. The part about a Covid test refers to unvaccinated children arriving with their vaccinated parents, and unvaccinated travelers with special permission to enter Spain.

I think that you are misreading the information from the Embassy. The part about a Covid test refers to unvaccinated children arriving with their vaccinated parents, and unvaccinated travelers with special permission to enter Spain.
Thank you, thank you!

I bought Binax 6 pack home test for $150. Complete with telemed verification and accepted by American airlines.even links to their Verifly app. Flight cancelled. Had to travel next day, today, and brought an extra test with me since another delay could cause test to be invalid as it will be past 72 hr mark. Will leave another test in Santiago with mom who arrives at end of Camino ( for return flight). Heat exposure while walking may kill it so I am blessed to have this option.. Test in Santiago supposedly near $200...so I figure Binax is reasonable for 6 tests.
DO TEST AT LAST POSS8BLE MINUTE TO AVOID MISS8NG 72 HR WINDOW!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Be aware in order to complete this form you must have a seat assignment on the plane taking you to Spain and need to enter it on the form. This form must be completed no sooner than 48 hrs before your flight.
I arrived in Madrid on June 10. Stay up to date with Spanish & your country of origin information. Things remain very dynamic with the possibility of rapid change.

Be aware in order to complete this form you must have a seat assignment on the plane taking you to Spain and need to enter it on the form. This form must be completed no sooner than 48 hrs before your flight.
I arrived in Madrid on June 10. Stay up to date with Spanish & your country of origin information. Things remain very dynamic with the possibility of rapid change.
Thanks so very much for this info and the head's up. Really appreciate it.

I bought Binax 6 pack home test for $150. Complete with telemed verification and accepted by American airlines.even links to their Verifly app. Flight cancelled. Had to travel next day, today, and brought an extra test with me since another delay could cause test to be invalid as it will be past 72 hr mark. Will leave another test in Santiago with mom who arrives at end of Camino ( for return flight). Heat exposure while walking may kill it so I am blessed to have this option.. Test in Santiago supposedly near $200...so I figure Binax is reasonable for 6 tests.
DO TEST AT LAST POSS8BLE MINUTE TO AVOID MISS8NG 72 HR WINDOW!!
Thanks so much LisaFlora. Really appreciate this resource.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I arrived June 9 with a QR code obtained within 48 hours of our flight on the SpTh app, along with our vaccination cards. The QR code was all we had to show upon arrival at the Madrid airport, no one asked to see the vaccine card. Hope this helps. Safe travels!

My husband and I arrived June 9 with a QR code obtained within 48 hours of our flight on the SpTh app, along with our vaccination cards. The QR code was all we had to show upon arrival at the Madrid airport, no one asked to see the vaccine card. Hope this helps. Safe travels!
I'm very happy to hear that, Shakey. I hope you're having a wonderful experience. Many thanks.

I wish it was like this for Portugal too. Because i am fully vaccinated maybe next month will change 🙏🙏🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I'm going alone. My husband will be cheering me on from home. He's decided he's done with traveling... I hope to read soon that you'll be able to do your route.
Yes. Thank you about my birthday. Yes i don't want to quit this is important to me. I hope it will be very meaningful to you.

When seeking admission to a foreign country, rely on the news and written requirements from that country, not the US Embassy.

When seeking to return to the US, then follow the requirements of the US Government:
If you arrive at Madrid, or another EU airport, they are not going to care what the US Embassy told you. Spanish / French, Portuguese, etc. rules prevail.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

NO TESTING REQUIRED TO ENTER SPAIN!​

Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present upon arrival in Spain a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the “SpTH app” in Google Play Store or iTunes App Store for each traveler, regardless of their age.

Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present upon arrival in Spain a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the “SpTH app” in Google Play Store or iTunes App Store for each traveler, regardless of their age.

There is no requirement to bring proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test if you are traveling from the United States to Spain. However, this may change with short notice, so be sure to review this information as close as possible to your travel date.

Happy 50th! What a great way to celebrate. This is my first camino, too (Frances).
I celebrated my 60th birthday with my first Camino (Frances) and arrival at Santiago to celebrate at the noon Pilgrim Mass. It was awesome,

I wish you Buen Camino, and an early Happy Birthday.

Ultreia!

Hope this helps.

Tom

I celebrated my 60th birthday with my first Camino (Frances) and arrival at Santiago to celebrate at the noon Pilgrim Mass. It was awesome,

I wish you Buen Camino, and an early Happy Birthday.

Ultreia!

Hope this helps.

Tom
What an awesome way to celebrate 60!
Congrats!
I am looking forward to mine.
It will be fun!
Thank you.
Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back