• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US currency exhange

cjohnson831

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino September (2016)
Where can i change over my US dollars to € after Pamplona? Nowhere in that city does the exchange.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the banks wouldn't change it? another guess would be at the airport--both of these will probably not be a good exchange rate. you would do better to use an ATM I think. Since it is a tourist city there are also probably exchange kiosks somewhere but I don't know where, sorry--my guess would be in or near large/nice hotels

Last edited:
Exchanging currency is often not an advisable action - the exchange rates for cash is often very poor. It is far better to save your currency for when you return to the US and use an ATM machine to withdraw funds in the local currency. If you absolutely must exchange US dollars then try the airport at an exchange booth - it will be expensive. For that matter you will find these types of exchanges at booths. I am surprised that none of the banks would not make the exchange.

In Burgos you can go to Money Exchange:

Burgos
C/ VITORIA, 27 947314134
Lunes a Domingo: 10:30 - 23:00, Viernes 10:30 - 13:30 y de 15:30 - 23:00

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where can i change over my US dollars to € after Pamplona? Nowhere in that city does the exchange.

'Nowhere' sounds a bit extreme as Pamplona is a big city with lots of banks ;-) Try Caja Laboral/Laboral Kutxa, there are several in the center, and take your passport with you, the last time I exchanged money in Spain they wanted to see it. Buen Camino, SY

The majority of Spanish banks no longer change foreign currency unless you have an account with the bank. In other words, they require that you deposit your foreign exchange into your personal account and then withdraw Euros from your account.

A handful of banks might still change over the counter (I am yet to find one on the Camino). These will have a currency exchange posted on the outside.

So unless you can find a currency exchange office (like the ones at the airport), you may have problems. I believe Western Union also changes money at some of its offices (I might be wrong). Ask your local tourist office for help, or even the banks that give you a blank look.

BTW. This is not a 'Spanish thing', pretty much across the board in the EU.

Good luck

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are a couple banks in Logrono that will exchange US dollars, unfortunately I did not use them and had to use emergency debit cards I had for that purpose. If you don't use Logrono, be prepared to wait until Burgos. I think I literally tried every bank after logrono with no luck.

My experience is you get a better rate with ATM withdrawal. Of course, I bring along US dollars as my backup but don't exchange them. The moment I arrive at airport, the first thing I look for is ATM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My experience is you get a better rate with ATM withdrawal. Of course, I bring along US dollars as my backup but don't exchange them. The moment I arrive at airport, the first thing I look for is ATM.

I am new to posting on the forum. But, I used it to help plan my trip. It always kind of angered me when people were told to just use an ATM for exchanging. Most of us know that is the "better" way to go. Unfortunately, ATM for continuous use is not an option for many people, myself included. I am not going to go into the specifics of my finances, but when people are asking for money exchanges, that is what they need: a way to turn their good hard U.S Dollars into a currency that can be used over here.

I am new to posting on the forum. But, I used it to help plan my trip. It always kind of angered me when people were told to just use an ATM for exchanging. Most of us know that is the "better" way to go. Unfortunately, ATM for continuous use is not an option for many people, myself included. I am not going to go into the specifics of my finances, but when people are asking for money exchanges, that is what they need: a way to turn their good hard U.S Dollars into a currency that can be used over here.

I see your point and, myself, I try to answer the questions put forth but other replies saying that this is not the thing to do are also helpful, not to the person requesting help, but to others using search engines to find information before they they leave home for, say, "US currency exchange."

You want us to give advice to someone for
"a way to turn their good hard U.S Dollars into a currency that can be used over here."

Unfortunately (using almost the same words you have used) there is no
good way to turn their hard U.S Dollars into a currency that can be used over here.

Unfortunately (using almost the same words you have used) there is no
good way to turn their hard U.S Dollars into a currency that can be used over here.
I also tend to try (not always succeeding) to focus on meeting the current pressing need behind the post.( edit I mean I agree wRick that we should first address ? of OP before advising hypotheticals) while it is not going to help those already wandering Navarra with dollars instead of Euro, I wonder if US dollars could be converted into Euro before leaving home? or would the same reasons that preclude an ATM card (assuming lack of a bank account) be an obstacle (for the planning purposes of not yet on the road pilgrims...)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It always kind of angered me when people were told to just use an ATM for exchanging. Most of us know that is the "better" way to go.

@Wnccamino didn't mean to get you angry. I was merely giving an option. If this is not possible due to your situation then just say so.

... I wonder if US dollars could be converted into Euro before leaving home? or would the same reasons that preclude an ATM card (assuming lack of a bank account) be an obstacle (for the planning purposes of not yet on the road pilgrims...)
My bank (not credit union) offers converting USD to EUR with 48 hour service (usually arrives though in 24 hours). They will also buy back EUR. I usually get a couple hundred EUR to start so I am not in the middle of the meseta looking for a Santandar ATM (my favorite to use in Spain since the also have a large US presence)

I usually get a couple hundred EUR to start so I am not in the middle of the meseta looking for a Santandar ATM (my favorite to use in Spain since the also have a large US presence)
There is a Santander branch in town here in the USA. Pre-camino I spoke with them thinking that an account there would be useful for transfers and such once I got to Spain. They said that the banks in the two countries were separate and the account wouldn't really be helpful. If you have a handy branch at home in the US it wouldn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to hunt down Santander US.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm sorry at least two pilgrims were caught unawares, it can be nerve wracking not knowing if you will be able to pay for food or lodging. One time (before the EU) three of us drove one night from Amsterdam to buy breakfast in Paris (they were drunk and I was a romantic). When we got there we had American and Dutch paper currency, and a few coins from filling up the gas tank in Belgium. We chose a cafe near an exchange kiosk and ate slowly until it opened, so one of us could go get money changed to pay for breakfast and another tank of gas. Most stressful breakfast I ever had. I learned from that, and from the hoops it sounds like others are hoping through now. I would not want to be in that situation.

for the use of future US pilgrims reading this, it appears changing dollars to Euro may be complicated if not impossible once walking; consider one of the following solutions: putting dollars into a bank account with an atm/debit card for use on the trip, converting dollars to Euro at your home bank (may need to go to a major city, may to allow many extra days, don't wait until last minute; personally, I would not want to carry that much money on me at one time), or putting those dollars into a prepaid credit card that you use at ATMs in Spain to withdraw Euro (make sure it has this capability). Some international airports may have exchange kiosks, some major tourist cities may have exchange kiosks, and some large, multi-star hotels may have exchange kiosks (may only be for guests)--but do not count on this. It's no greater a challenge for US travelers to Spain than Spanish travelers to the US...I know my small town bank would be unable to change Euro to dollars on the spot, and most US banks want you to have an account at that bank to use their banking services (other than the ATM).

Good luck!

One time (before the EU) three of us drove one night from Amsterdam to buy breakfast in Paris (they were drunk and I was a romantic).
From Amsterdam to Paris for breakfast? Drunk & romantic?
Those were the days, when we used to raise a glass or two:
(shot in Paris!!!, If I remember correctly directed by Aki Kaurismaki)

Sorry for off topic :D

You know how it is in the summer in Amsterdam...still daylight out late at night, and everything seems possible. One guy said if he had a signing bonus for the AF he'd buy a plane, and we could have breakfast in Paris. I, with no excuse as the only one not drinking, asked "what a great idea, how far could it be to Paris?" We agreed we would stop at each person's house, if it took you longer than 90 seconds to reappear with only a toothbrush and passport you had to take off your shirt; 120 meant shirt and pants. Anything other than toothbrush and passport, underwear. Kevin broke rule number three but we let him keep his clothes on anyway. No one paused to think about money until we were actually in Paris.

(promise mods, last stroll down memory lane today.)

I just exchanged a wad of U.S Dollars at the main BBVA branch in Burgos. It is in the plaza across from the cathedral, directly next door to Telepizza. They spoke no English, but we're very nice. It was less than 5% fee which is way better than airport kiosks. It is a tall building with BBVA logo on top. Hard to miss.

Edit: I had tried at least 10 Burgos banks before this with no luck.

Probably at the larger towns/cities - say Logrono, but after that Burgos is your best bet. BTW Which international airport are you flying into? ALL international airports have currency exchanges. They may not always give the best exchange rates - so maybe change $200-250 US into euros and change more at a bank in Pamplona or Logrono as the need arises. A further aside - most US Bank "debit/cash" cards will work in Spanish ATMs/Cash Points - and virtually every small town, village will have one of these. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I can understand that to "new members" this Forum is not always the easiest to search. However the question of ATMs usually gets a mention at least once a month. Your decision (apparently) not to use/trust banks in the US is a personal one and it is one that will affect almost ALL US travellers in the EU and even here in Australia. I travel to Europe frequently and now carry both my personal cash/debit card and now a Money Card that I can load with virtually any international currency - I will reload it before returning to France & Spain next April.
The other issue that does pop up regularly on this Forum is theft - and if you are carrying large amounts of cash - US dollars / Euros / English Pounds - you are (in my opinion) taking an unnecesary risk. Hopefully you will be able to exchange your dollars and enjoy your Camino.

a Money Card that I can load with virtually any international currency

I don't know about the rest of the world but those money cards issued by various banks etc are generally a ripoff here in Australia. They usually quote "no fees" but rip you off terribly on the exchange rate that they use. Furthermore, they will cheat you again when you return from your holiday and want to change any remaining balance back into $AUD.

There are a couple of (imo) better alternatives for Australians.

Citibank offer debit cards (Citibank Plus) that you can deposit your $A into and use at ATMs and for purchases pretty much worldwide. There are no fees (other than possible local ATM fees) and the exchange rate is almost exactly the "real" rate. Unlike the cash cards, the conversion is done at the time of using the card. This is particularly useful if you are visiting multiple countries, with different currencies. I have been using this card worldwide for several years.

Apparently, ING also offer something similar that some of my friends use.

I hope the above is of some help.

It was a few years ago (I think 2002) but I had occasion to exchange some Canadian $ in Estella (pop 13,668) and I would think that most larger banks will be able to exchange US $-- it is a fairly major form of currency. Perhaps one of our Spanish-dwelling forum members could chime in??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A suggestion that hasn’t been mentioned which I will include for other (Americans) wafting this thread at some point is this: consider “exchanging” your dollars/euros at local pilgrim meetings (like APOC). There is always someone going and returning from the Camino so you can either buy/sell euros. I did both (bought before & sold after) and everyone involved got exactly what they wanted and was happy. Plan to do the same this fall.
Edit: I use app “XE Currency” for exact exchange rate.

Whoa - is this still the case? You can’t easily change us$ to euros in European banks? That’s quite extraordinary, I routinely travel in Asia with lots of nz$ cash, because it’s easy to change, and the rates are better. Unfortunately no nz bank offers free atm withdrawals and charge about 4 euros a transaction, which adds up quickly . How widely accepted are credit cards?

I don't know about the rest of the world but those money cards issued by various banks etc are generally a ripoff here in Australia. They usually quote "no fees" but rip you off terribly on the exchange rate that they use. Furthermore, they will cheat you again when you return from your holiday and want to change any remaining balance back into $AUD.

There are a couple of (imo) better alternatives for Australians.

Citibank offer debit cards (Citibank Plus) that you can deposit your $A into and use at ATMs and for purchases pretty much worldwide. There are no fees (other than possible local ATM fees) and the exchange rate is almost exactly the "real" rate. Unlike the cash cards, the conversion is done at the time of using the card. This is particularly useful if you are visiting multiple countries, with different currencies. I have been using this card worldwide for several years.

Apparently, ING also offer something similar that some of my friends use.

I hope the above is of some help.

Not being a customer of either organisation (Citibank or ING) I find the running around to acquire one of them something I would prefer to steer clear off. Yes I know most it the leg work can probably be done on line, but since Citibank stiffed me for a credit card application a few years back I would prefer not to give them any of my business.
As for the fees - from memory in Spain it was generally around E2.2 regardless of which card I used. So thanks but I will stick with the devil I know.

€46,-
Charles Schwab has a debit card that has no atm fees anywhere in the world and a nominal currency exchange rate of .8%.

In my opinion, atm as a source of currency is the best way to get money on the Camino and a no fee card is the way to go.

Ultreya,
Joe

Charles Schwab has a debit card that has no atm fees anywhere in the world and a nominal currency exchange rate of .8%.

In my opinion, atm as a source of currency is the best way to get money on the Camino and a no fee card is the way to go.

Ultreya,
Joe
Only if you live in the us

Only if you live in the us

Lizzie45:

Unless I misunderstood the question, converting U.S. $'s to Euro's, I believe my suggestion is a good one.

While not being 100% sure, I would venture Schwab is not the only Company that offers this type of service?

I also believe you do not have to live in the U.S. to have a Schwab relationship.

My point being that carrying cash and exchanging along the way would not be my preferred method of funding my Camino. Use of ATM's, which are almost everywhere, transacting with a zero fee card, Schwab or other, in a more economical and easy way to get local currency.

Regards,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want to carry only cash, why not carry the currency of the country you are travelling in, instead of expecting banks in every town to do this exchange? Buy Euros at home. If want the convenience of withdrawing only what you need, that is what cards are for!
You can’t easily change us$ to euros in European banks? That’s quite extraordinary
I wouldn't expect every bank to deal with foreign currency.

Whoa - is this still the case? You can’t easily change us$ to euros in European banks? That’s quite extraordinary, I routinely travel in Asia with lots of nz$ cash, because it’s easy to change, and the rates are better.
You are not asking the right question 😉. It's not "Is this still the case?" but "Is this now the case?".

In general, banks in major EU/Euro zone countries are moving away from handling cash in their branches as much as possible, and many if not most branches no longer hold foreign currency at all, not even US dollars or GB pounds. It's just not worth it for them. As a rule, you now have to order foreign currency several days in advance if you want to buy.

No idea about selling (= changing into €), it's been years and years since I've done that for the last time. Years ago I could walk into my local branch and get GB pounds immediately. No longer possible. I now get it from an ATM upon arrival in the UK.

I would not expect every small branch in the US or AUS or NZ to be willing or able to exchange my euros for dollars either, so why expect every small branch in the EU to change dollars into euros 🤔😉?

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect every bank to deal with foreign currency.
You're right. I can't go into my local bank in a city of 100,000 people and exchange dollars for euros. They have to be ordered. I can't see the banks in small villages on the Camino wanting to deal with handling US dollars or other foreign currency.

A now-retired banker told me that demand for paper currency is so rare that most branches will only have one member who has any training at all in handling exchange. Even so, my (Ottawa) credit union has US$, UK£, Japanese ¥, Rmb, as well as € on hand. Since seeing this thread, I have chatted with people who work in bank branches in Trois-Rivières, Québec (pop 134,000) and Cornwall, Ontario (pop 47,000), and they both told me that they always have € for their customers. Other currencies, such as Mexican and Russian, can be had on a few days' notice, but if you want anything else (Arg$, Ja$) be prepared to wait as the demand is really quite minimal-- in those cases, they recommend specialist firms.

But as far as as CJohnson831's query is concerned (although it's now a few days old and probably resolved), if the banks aren't receptive, there is always Ria Currency exchange near the Pamplona train station at Av. Marcelo Celayeta, 4, but I'd be surprised if he got a good rate. Logroño, the next major town along the Francese, also has a Ria at Calle Padre Marín 12, and Caixa Bank at Calle Víctor Pradera 7 also advertises its currency exchange facility. I have always found the Turismo to be helpful in finding things useful for travellers: in Logroño, it's about 10 minutes on foot WSW of the Albergue at Escuelas Trevijano, Calle Portales, 50. If they're still at this date in Pamplona, just beside the Ayuntamiento at Planta Baja, Calle San Saturnino, 2.

I would not expect every small branch in the US or AUS or NZ to be willing or able to exchange my euros for dollars either, so why expect every small branch in the EU to change dollars into euros 🤔😉?

I've no idea about the US - their banking is a little weird. I certainly do expect that any bank branch in Australia or NZ will ACCEPT MAJOR foreign currency . You're right you have to order most foreign notes - but the rates are prominantly displayed - they are happy to make money by buying foreign notes of major currencies including euros, yen, US$ and similar

You're right. I can't go into my local bank in a city of 100,000 people and exchange dollars for euros. They have to be ordered. I can't see the banks in small villages on the Camino wanting to deal with handling US dollars or other foreign currency.

Yes but surely you cold do the reverse- take Euros to a bank and get US$ in exchange?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.