• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD US Pilgrim traveling to Porto through Madrid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I'm reading that there is no test requirement for entry into Spain as long as you are fully vaccinated. However...1) I'm still finding that this only pertains to vaccinations in certain countries and the USA is not one...2) my airline, Iberia, is still requiring a negative test to embark.

I'm headed from Boston thru Madrid on to Porto.
Have had 2 vaccines and two boosters and have scheduled the tests 72 hours prior thru Quest Labs
Will fill out all of the government forms for both Spain and Portugal prior to flight ( not sure about seat assignment, was told to just make up something plausible )
Will be carrying the eMed/Abbott monitored self tests in my pack for reentry to the US

Am I missing some recent info, because I cannot find changes as of 4/16
Thanks ( trying to go with the ever changing turbulent flow )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm reading that there is no test requirement for entry into Spain as long as you are fully vaccinated. However...1) I'm still finding that this only pertains to vaccinations in certain countries and the USA is not one...2) my airline, Iberia, is still requiring a negative test to embark.
Porto is in Portugal and not in Spain! Unless you step off in Madrid and you have booked a completely separate flight from Madrid to Porto? If not, then you have to fulfil the requirements for a flight from the USA to Portugal already at the moment you want to step into the plane in the USA.

It is the same as on your return journey. You don't need a negative test for a flight from Santiago to Madrid. But if you have a flight booked from Santiago thru Madrid on to the USA then you must provide a negative test already before you board your plane in Santiago.

In general: What your airline wants to see at boarding time trumps what you read on the forum and even on an official website. Buen Camino!

Just to clarify:
  • from USA to Spain, vaccinated/boostered, negative test not required
    (clearly stated on SpTH website and in SpTH form)

• from USA to Portugal, vaccinated/boostered, negative test required
    (no clear statement on VisitPortugal to be found, but confirmed by numerous reports from recent travellers)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Have had 2 vaccines and two boosters and have scheduled the tests 72 hours prior thru Quest Labs
Will fill out all of the government forms for both Spain and Portugal prior to flight ( not sure about seat assignment, was told to just make up something plausible )
Will be carrying the eMed/Abbott monitored self tests in my pack for reentry to the US

Am I missing some recent info, because I cannot find changes as of 4/16
Thanks ( trying to go with the ever changing turbulent flow )
The answers in this thread are regarding requirements to enter Spain and France from the US - however it is possible that your airline has additional requirements. You are flying Iberia airlines which is out of Portugal, correct? And it could also be because your your final destination is Porto. Portugal's requirements may be different than Spain/France. My answers are specific to Spain/France from the US.

EDITED to add - These posts were moved OUT of a Spain/France from US thread - so that is why my wording is such as it is ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is the US Embassy in Portugal website for information on requirements to enter Portugal

We are planning the same routing in June. However we belove that the requirements to enter Portugal from Spain differ based upon whether you are flying out traveling by ground transportation - I don't understand why. For this reason we are planning to either bus or train from Madrid and hopefully avoid the need to obtain a negative test.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are planning the same routing in June. However we belove that the requirements to enter Portugal from Spain differ based upon whether you are flying out traveling by ground transportation - I don't understand why. For this reason we are planning to either bus or train from Madrid and hopefully avoid the need to obtain a negative test.
I think the main reason is it is harder for authorities to check COVID status when traveling by means other than by plane. People can walk, drive, bus, or take a train across borders that have no border checkpoint. Flying on a plane however - you are in a confined space and if coming from a non-EU country there is already a checkpoint. Not fair by any means - but it is what it is! Even in the US - to enter the US by plane you have to have a negative COVID test to board the plane. But crossing the border by car they don't check. They also don't check on trains/buses but require masks.

Porto is in Portugal and not in Spain! Unless you step off in Madrid and you have booked a completely separate flight from Madrid to Porto? If not, then you have to fulfil the requirements for a flight from the USA to Portugal already at the moment you want to step into the plane in the USA.

It is the same as on your return journey. You don't need a negative test for a flight from Santiago to Madrid. But if you have a flight booked from Santiago thru Madrid on to the USA then you must provide a negative test already before you board your plane in Santiago.

In general: What your airline wants to see at boarding time trumps what you read on the forum and even on an official website. Buen Camino!
@Kathar1na , I fully realize Porto is in Portugal...The flight goes from Boston in the US to Madrid, and yes there is a connection. I CALLED the airline and was told I needed to complete the Spanish forms as I have a connection in Spain. I was not given the same information you are giving here. There is a connection, we physically get off of the plane and embark on a new one...is what Iberia Airlines told me. I have one ticket with 4 flights on it...Boston to JFK to Madrid to Porto. Was told I needed to present both when I embark in JFK for Madrid.

PLEASE provide link for your information so I can investigate this further. And yes, I do know Porto is in Portugal.

I have one ticket with 4 flights on it...Boston to JFK to Madrid to Porto. Was told I needed to present both when I embark in JFK for Madrid.
This is why you need the COVID test AND the Spanish Health Form. You have one ticket with 3 stops. JFK/Madrid/Porto. So - in the US - before you depart on either your first flight or the JFK to Madrid flight (I would think the first flight but could be either or both) they need to ensure you meet the requirements to enter both Spain AND Portugal. For Spain you only need the proof that you are fully vaccinated and you completed the Spanish Health Form. For Portugal - you also need the negatove COVID test results. So - you would need to be sure to read through both the US Embassy in Spain AND the US Embassy in Portugal to get the most complete information for both of the international flights. I posted the Portugal one above. Here is the Spain one. Hope you are able to sort this out! And don't forget you WILL need a COVID test for the return flight home - unless they drop the requirement before your return flight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don’t have any link to give you, but speaking from my own experience, I flew in November to the US from Portugal to the US via Madrid (so, the reverse of your trip) and I was required to show I had complied with both Spain and the US’s requirements before boarding. I think that is the bottom line and it seems to be consistent — when you start your international journey you must have complied with the requirements in effect at your international destination.

It makes sense if you think about it - I can’t imagine you would want to take a test in Madrid and get the results before boarding the flight to Portugal.

This is why you need the COVID test AND the Spanish Health Form. You have one ticket with 3 stops. JFK/Madrid/Porto. So - in the US - before you depart on either your first flight or the JFK to Madrid flight (I would think the first flight but could be either or both) they need to ensure you meet the requirements to enter both Spain AND Portugal. For Spain you only need the proof that you are fully vaccinated and you completed the Spanish Health Form. For Portugal - you also need the negatove COVID test results. So - you would need to be sure to read through both the US Embassy in Spain AND the US Embassy in Portugal to get the most complete information for both of the international flights. I posted the Portugal one above. Here is the Spain one. Hope you are able to sort this out! And don't forget you WILL need a COVID test for the return flight home - unless they drop the requirement before your return flight.

Exactly... I interpret this the same way. Even if you never leave the airport in Madrid, if you have a connection on to Porto, you need both forms and Porto requires testing. I've read thru all of these sites ad nauseam and the info I originally posted here states I need the vaccination proof, both Spain & Portugal forms completed and a negative test for Porto.
I need to stop reading these posts where others offer info that isn't always accurate...it's stressful!

Exactly... I interpret this the same way. Even if you never leave the airport in Madrid, if you have a connection on to Porto, you need both forms and Porto requires testing. I've read thru all of these sites ad nauseam and the info I originally posted here states I need the vaccination proof, both Spain & Portugal forms completed and a negative test for Porto.
I need to stop reading these posts where others offer info that isn't always accurate...it's stressful!
Yep! When is your flight? About a week before - just double check the Portugal and Spain info one last time! Just in case things change (who knows - maybe they will relax the requirements!) Until then - Ignore anything posted here otherwise!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It makes sense if you think about it - I can’t imagine you would want to take a test in Madrid and get the results before boarding the flight to Portugal.
Even if you did want to test in Madrid (and was allowed to) on your way to Portugal - it would probably mean exiting the terminal and then re-entering the terminal which would probably make you miss your connection!

The flight goes from Boston in the US to Madrid, and yes there is a connection. I CALLED the airline and was told I needed to complete the Spanish forms as I have a connection in Spain. I was not given the same information you are giving here. There is a connection, we physically get off of the plane and embark on a new one...is what Iberia Airlines told me. I have one ticket with 4 flights on it...Boston to JFK to Madrid to Porto. Was told I needed to present both when I embark in JFK for Madrid.

PLEASE provide link for your information so I can investigate this further. And yes, I do know Porto is in Portugal.
Edited to add: As of 22 April 2022, Portugal no longer requires a Passenger Locator Form to be filled in.

I am just a person on the internet. I'm not sure what your question is, I thought it was about the test requirement? This is how I see it. You travel from the USA. You are vaccinated/boostered. Your end destination is Portugal. You transit in Spain but this is not an international transit (you don't stay in the international zone). So you need to fulfil the entry requirements for both Spain and Portugal. In your situation:
  • Spain wants you to fill in the SpTH form where you only need to enter your vaccination details.
  • Portugal wants proof of a negative test and a filled in passenger locator form.
You need to fulfil these conditions before you leave the USA, perhaps already in Boston but I have no idea whether Boston or JFK.

The confusion probably arises from the fact that Spain treats passengers from the USA, Canada, Australia and so on the same, while Portugal (inexplicably) appears to still make a distinction between passengers from these countries. The forum threads switch from one situation/departure country to the another situation/departure country and back again or to a third situation/departure or arrival country. Also, not all international airlines appear to follow the same rules when it comes to long-distance flights to Portugal with a transit somewhere.

Last edited:
You can enter your information in this site including connecting airports and it will tell you what the restrictions are. It also has links to the official government sites, and many airlines use Sherpa.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back