• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US pilgrims - just discovered Google Voice for international calls

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
I was at a loss as to how to call ahead to make some reservations without paying a crazy amount of money to Verizon.

My daughter showed me Google Voice, and it's amazing. I just called Spain for 1 cent/minute, not $2.99!

One minor thing that it took me a little bit to realize is that before calling you do have to add the minimum $10 credit to your account so that it can charge you for the calls. But, you can get a refund after you've used it (I'll probably leave it there to use for a future trip).

The personal account is free in the US. It was super easy.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is also Whatsapp - You can make wifi calls and text with your phone for free. Only downside is you need to be connected to wifi to use it. But - pairing it with google calls would be good for those circumstances where you need to make a call when NOT connected to wifi! I found it was fine to wait for wifi. I didn't have to make any urgen/emergency calls.

There is also Whatsapp - You can make wifi calls and text with your phone for free. Only downside is you need to be connected to wifi to use it. But - pairing it with google calls would be good for those circumstances where you need to make a call when NOT connected to wifi! I found it was fine to wait for wifi. I didn't have to make any urgen/emergency calls.
The problem with WhatsApp is that you can only use it to call/text to mobile numbers that also have WhatsApp.

I use an app called Viber and use Viber Out credits to make calls for 2¢ a minute to landlines or other numbers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another use for Google Voice is for getting texted security codes from banks, etc. You give them your Voice number as the one to text to. You set up the Voice account to forward to your phone at home and things work like you are used to. When you replace your SIM in Spain your number changes so that won't work for you now. What you do is change the Voice settings to copy text messages onto your Voice cloud account. That means that when your phone has the temporary SIM card in it and you use your bank app for a transaction the bank asks for you to enter the security code it sent. It sent the code to your Voice number. You get the code by logging into your Voice account.

Last edited:
My daughter showed me Google Voice, and it's amazing. I just called Spain for 1 cent/minute, not $2.99!
Another use for Google Voice is for getting texted security codes from banks, etc. You give them your Voice number as the one to text to. You set up the Voice account to forward to your phone at home and things work like you are used to.
Thanks to both of you for the very helpful information. I plan to look into opening a Google account. It, particularly for authorization codes. I've been struggling with how to manage these.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was at a loss as to how to call ahead to make some reservations without paying a crazy amount of money to Verizon.

One minor thing that it took me a little bit to realize is that before calling you do have to add the minimum $10 credit to your account so that it can charge you for the calls. But, you can get a refund after you've used it (I'll probably leave it there to use for a future trip).

The personal account is free in the US. It was super easy.

Buen Camino!
Another similar alternative, that some if you "older" people might remember (I know, I'm dating myself), is Skype. The app is free, you add a US$10 credit to your account, and off to the races you go! I use it primarily to call landlines overseas. A call to a Spanish la lune is less than 2 cents a minute. A call to a mobile phone is Spain could be about 10 cents a minute.

Another similar alternative, that some if you "older" people might remember (I know, I'm dating myself), is Skype.
I've not used Skype and I have nothing against it but let me mention that Google Voice gives you a free second number that will work with your current phone. Calls and texts to Voice can be forwarded to your smartphone and you can call and text out on your smartphone as if your Voice number were on a second phone. You can also do similar actions using a PC instead of a phone. A typical use is to have one phone but a personal number and business number.

Google says that typical calls from the US on Voice to Spanish landlines cost $0.01 per minute and to Spanish cell phones $0.02 per minute. It can cost more depending on the country you call and type of account called.

Oh the joys of being told over and over again in the US that you have the best system in the world ... and then trying to use it outside your borders ... I have to pay $65 in the US for anything close to what I get for $30 in Australia ... People from the US are getting so ripped off ... If only they could travel more when they are young, and get a real education 😪

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another use for Google Voice is for getting texted security codes from banks, etc. You give them your Voice number as the one to text to. You set up the Voice account to forward to your phone at home and things work like you are used to. When you replace your SIM in Spain your number changes so that won't work for you now. What you do is change the Voice settings to copy text messages onto your Voice cloud account. That means that when your phone has the temporary SIM card in it and you use your bank app for a transaction the bank asks for you to enter the security code it sent. It sent the code to your Voice number. You get the code by logging into your Voice account.
You can also set it so the voice mail forwards to an email and shows up in your Inbox soon after the call. It types out the message and also allows you to listen to the voice mail.

Last edited:
You can also set it so the voice mail forwards to an email and shows up in your Inbox soon after the call. I types out the message and also allows you to listen to the voice mail.
Good catch. I forgot about that because I use the same features provided by Google FI.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just called the Hostel San Andres in Zariquiegui to see if they were open and got a recording - in speedy spanish, so IDK if they are open or not. Is there a Voice gadget that will record or translate the voice messages in situations like this?

Didn't see how old this thread is. I'm posting a reply in case someone else needs an answer.

Google Translate will do voicemail translations according to this website. You just have to give it permission to your microphone and play the voicemail on speaker while holding the microphone button.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.