• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US to Spain - What Airline?

Dave2013

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (09/2013)
I was wondering what Airline Americans use to fly from US to Spain.

Sure would like to build up those frequent flyer miles over the next year; and airline specific cards usually offer the most non flight mile build-up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In general, you'll get a better ROI from a cash-back card than an airline card (this is assuming you don't fly a LOT already - in which case you'd probably already have your favorite). They generally have lower (if any) fees, better bonuses and you aren't stuck with one airline (family of airlines) as you can spend your cash wherever you want. Another option, if you're going to be buying lots of gear, is to get an REI card and use the bonus to outfit yourself. :)

I got my flight on Air Berlin. NYC->Berlin->Barcelona then Berlin->NYC and my flight was about $750 RT.

United, American, USAir, and British Airways have flights from Denver to Spain. Several of them code share, so you might be on Air Canada for United, and British Airways for American!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm planning on using Delta for my trip. They have the best list prices so far (when buying directly from them), and apparently their accommodations for economy class tickets far surpass those of American Airlines. I have an international airport about 20 minutes from me though, so i have a lot of airlines to choose from.

Iberia can be a good choice since it flies from many cities from the US and its a partner with American Airlines , so if you participate in an AA frequent flyer you can use the miles to fly with them as well. Be on the lookout for offers from AA credit card with huge miles bonuses. Last year they offered 100,000 FF miles for spending a certain amount in two years, the first year no payment of annual fee. They then offered to send us at no additional cost an Amex card with additional 20,000 miles bonus. So, without setting foot in an AA flight we earned 120,000 miles! Used 60,000 of those miles to get the Iberia flight from Chicago to Madrid R/T for my son who is joining us in the Camino.

I don't find flights with British Airways too economically attractive. They charge hefty taxes and fees in the tickets you purchase or FF award tickets.

Yes, the issue of taxes going through UK has been mentioned regularly. Also the problem of having to transfer to a different London airport if you plan to connect to Bayonne rather than Madrid. Another forum member recently suggested going through Dublin to Bayonne, as the flights arrive and depart at the same airport, which could work from some east coast airports in particular.

British Airways should be renamed London Airways, by the way, as that's the only city they serve, so there's no way of getting a cheap deal with them via Manchester etc. I'll dismount my hobby horse now! :evil:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem
In my experience, Iberia may be the most convenient for connecting flights within Spain HOWEVER my past flights with Iberia have been largely negative, cramped quarters, little or no refreshment, the clock stops as you enter the terminal and goodness knows when your flight will leave, how long you will be in the air, and at what hour you will arrive - meaning how late and by how much did you miss your connecting flight. I would rather walk from Denver than fly Iberia. From Israel? I fly through Zurich and down to Spain from there, anybody just not Iberia. South America is another of my favorite destinations - nothing direct so its always AerolĂ­neas Argentinas or TAM.

Dave:

You could fly any of the major U.S. airlines. Try Kayak as a search engine.

That said, United has a hub in Denver if you are looking to choose an airline with a major presence in your area.

Ultreya,
Joe

From Miami, Florida I use American Airlines every time I travel to Europe. They match miles one to one with LAN Argentina (Iberia give you only 25% of the miles). I use American's miles for my trips to South America and vice-verse miles accumulated in Lan can be used in American for trips to Europe
Buen Camino
Jorge

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
jpflavin1 said:
Dave:

You could fly any of the major U.S. airlines. Try Kayak as a search engine.

That said, United has a hub in Denver if you are looking to choose an airline with a major presence in your area.

Ultreya,
Joe

In terms of price, I actually found Kayak to be one of the more expensive options. Cheapo-air was a good one that compared multiple airlines. I like going directly through the airline, as that seems to produce the best results in my experience (In terms of price)

I've always had good experieces on Iberia. I flew on Ieria for all of my caminos because they had the best rates (I was flying in the off season each time). I have always flown from Washington DC and Iberia used to have a direct flight to Madrid from Washington (I don't think they do any more).The real benefit is that their connecting flights to cities in Spain were not much more in cost (and sometimes less ?!?) than the Return ticket U.S>Madrid. So, I was always able to fly to my starting point (Pamplona, San sebastian, etc.) and return from my ending point (Santiago, OViedo)

Hello,

I had to stop and say hello because I also am interested in the airline that is best, I gat excited because I am in Denver. When are you going to Le Puy?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depending where you start you may want to fly into France rather than Spain. In any case you need to factor in ground travel cost and time when deciding what the best deal is.

in May-June I flew US Air Philadelphia to Madrid. Nice planes, individual monitors, okay dinner, very pleasant attendants going (American), less so coming back (Spanish -- all male, left half hour late due to missing passengers, arrived half hour early).

Plane at least 1/3 empty both ways. Part of Star Alliance (Air Canada, and othes) with wide choice of seats. IIberia's Air Nostrum early arrival and on time takeoff. Small but nice plane an staff. Had four seats to myself each way.

My brother has gifted me with his FF miles for United - Ill be departing from EWR (NJ)...Its only going to cost approx 200,000 miles round trip, $25 in taxes to fly to Toulouse and $45 for direct From Lisbon to NJ . There were flights to Bilbao and other Spanish cities, I was looking at France though - I am starting my trip at Lourdes so Toulouse makes sense-then short train ride from Lourdes to St Jean to start camino.

United has many options with reward travel..and thank God for the hard work and all the international travel that my brother has racked up the miles..and generously donated them for my pilgrimmage. If you have FF miles it def can make all the difference- or if someone was willing to share them with you! I have found that friends and fam who travel alot for work usually do not want to travel so much outside of work and they are happy to share miles..I was also gifted miles for 3 other trips abroad- only because I asked..and they were happy their miles could be enjoyed!The three others were on Continental..I forget who they merged with?

Before I had FF miles, I was searching Orbitz..I always find great flights with them/lots of options..the lowest round trip multi city I found was to PUF (pau, france) from JFK and my direct return from Lisbon to EWR (NJ ) for $1260- there were many roundtrips for under $1000 in the $960 range that left/arrived from more popular Spanish airports...and JFK Nyc- I used the mix/match airline feature and Delta to find the best fares...amazing though how flights range from $960 to $4,000 and some of the more expensive flights have really long flight times, multiple stops and lay overs!

Happy Trails
Lisa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
in my prior post about US Air I meant I had four seats each way from Philadelphia to Madrid return. Great for sleeping!

caminocalling said:
My brother has gifted me with his FF miles for United - Ill be departing from EWR (NJ)...Its only going to cost approx 200,000 miles round trip, $25 in taxes to fly to Toulouse and $45 for direct From Lisbon to NJ . Lisa
This is brilliant. I don't understand anything about these FF schemes (Ryanair don't have one, as far as I know! :D ), but it sounds great. Could someone ask their whole church congregation to donate FF points to enable a Camino, for example? Or do they all have to be from one person?

Buen Camino!

I just booked my flight on AA/Iberia on Smartfares. com. It was the cheapest I found. Multi-city flights: Columbus-JFK-MAD/MAD-LHR-Chicago/Chicago-Denver. $905

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I've picked up the CapitalOne Venture card. It's initial bonus miles are not as good as an actual airlines but I will be able to use them for any airline that I end up going with.

As always, thanks for all of your input.

Tyrrek

I think it has to be fam or bus. associate, but I know people who have let their need be known to group/church etc, and people have been happy to step forward to donate FF miles...im pretty sure it has to be from the same group/bus or family. And/or they need your passport info to book trip..My trip wound up being 110,000 miles with United. Which is kind of alot, when I went to Italy twice and Greece once, the ff miles added up to approx 50-60,000 miles round trip for each with Continental. United did merge with Continental and they said they recently changed reward system. I think also since I am going to toulouse but leaving from Lisbon to come home and there is 6 weeks in between it made the fare/miles increase.

I do think Tuedays are the best for fares, I just checked Orbitz and they did go down a little today and there are many flights on many US Airlines, TAP and others...
Buen Camino!

From LAX ... I just booked my british airways tickets to Barcelona via London. Figured I will scratch the return flighs from Barcelona and nip to London directly from Santiago. Prices were better than Oribiz or Spanish Airlines :) cheers, Hb

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hbee said:
From LAX ... I just booked my british airways tickets to Barcelona via London. Figured I will scratch the return flighs from Barcelona and nip to London directly from Santiago. Prices were better than Oribiz or Spanish Airlines :) cheers, Hb

Be careful ... if you booked an LAX - Barcelona via London roundtrip flight and you skip the Barcelona to London piece on your return, your return London to LAX fight will be cancelled. You cannot skip any piece of the set itinerary. It may not seem logical but that's the way it works.

I looked at American Airlines to Madrid from LAX next May using FF and I can do it for 50,000 miles + $384 in taxes. 200,000 FF sounds like a huge amount of miles to use, unless you're flying 1st class...

Airlines with flight to Spain listed at Skyscanner, the fastest way to find the cheapest low cost airline prices.
Skyscanner allows you to find the cheapest flights to Spain (from hundreds of airlines including Iberia, Vueling Airlines, Lufthansa) without having to enter specific dates or even destinations, making it the best place to find cheap flights for your trip. To book a cheap flight to Spain, choose from the list of flights to Spain below, or use the links at the side of the page to browse for more flight information. To start a new flight search, use the search controls above.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is brilliant. I don't understand anything about these FF schemes (Ryanair don't have one, as far as I know! :D ), but it sounds great. Could someone ask their whole church congregation to donate FF points to enable a Camino, for example? Or do they all have to be from one person?

Buen Camino!
What a great idea. I tried to get someone else from our parish to walk but the biggest deterrent was the flight cost. If you watch your "pennies" you can probably do the rest of it for under $1000. I think I'll start a "Camino Bank"!

Indyinmaine

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back