• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US travel alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeMcD

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15' Portuguese 16' GR10/Norte/Primitivo 17' Chemin LePuy 18' Salvador/Prim/Kerry Way 19'
The US State Department just put out a travel alert for Europe 2 days ago, which prompted me to visit the scary recesses of my brain again. One of those scary thoughts that has arisen the last two years while I’ve been in Santiago for the Feast of St. James week is; what a potential target this would be. I surmise from the security that I’ve seen, that despite the loving camaraderie of fellow pilgrims and the community gathered, the same thought has crossed the minds of officials and security forces.

I’m hesitant about posting this but I know that we are a community of pilgrims that have always wished each other well in all things; safety being one of them. Last year after completing the Portuguese I was visiting Camino friends in Germany and we all talked openly about our concerns of going to a music festival that weekend given the events of the summer. We ultimately decided on attending and had a fantastic time, but we were all thankful that we had the discussion.

This year I will again arrive in Santiago during the festive week after completing the Norte/Primitivo and my wish is for everyone a safe journey.

Buen Camino,
Gary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The US State Department just put out a travel alert for Europe 2 days ago, which prompted me to visit the scary recesses of my brain again. One of those scary thoughts that has arisen the last two years while I’ve been in Santiago for the Feast of St. James week is; what a potential target this would be. I surmise from the security that I’ve seen, that despite the loving camaraderie of fellow pilgrims and the community gathered, the same thought has crossed the minds of officials and security forces.

I’m hesitant about posting this but I know that we are a community of pilgrims that have always wished each other well in all things; safety being one of them. Last year after completing the Portuguese I was visiting Camino friends in Germany and we all talked openly about our concerns of going to a music festival that weekend given the events of the summer. We ultimately decided on attending and had a fantastic time, but we were all thankful that we had the discussion.

This year I will again arrive in Santiago during the festive week after completing the Norte/Primitivo and my wish is for everyone a safe journey.

Buen Camino,
Gary

It is a GOOD thing that you went to the music festival, and had a great time. We call them Terrorists because their goal is to create Terror. As soon as we modify our behavior because of their behavior, they achieve their goal. A tiny group of crazy people do not get to decide how we all live our lives. Our best strategy is to go about our business, secure in the knowledge that a car accident or falling off a ladder are far greater threats to our safety than a handful of deranged ideologues with weapons.

I travel 10 times a year to Europe. I average a total of three or four months a year there. The current state of affairs will not stop that. However, I take do several simple precautions to lessen my chances of being injured. These simple precautions are similar to not drinking and driving, always wearing your seatbelt, and not texting and driving. By doing these three simple things you have seriously multiplied your chances of not being in a serious car accident.

When in Europe, I do not wear my American uniform (blue jeans, Nike t-shirt, white tennis shoes, and Mariner's baseball cap). It astounds me how many American are surprised to learn that they stick out like a sore thumb when they step off the plane. If Helmut from Munich got off a plane in Seattle dressed in Lederhosen, he would stick out like a sore thumb. But, Helmut would know he is sticking out like a sore thumb. Dave, from Seattle, however gets off the plane in Paris with his baseball hat turned backwards and has no idea that every European in the place knows he's an American. If you want to blend in, wear muted colors. Buy European shoes and a watch.

When in Europe, I don't do things in public which solely identify me as an American: talk loudly, use my speaker phone, point with my index finger, walk while eating food, and smile at strangers.

When in Europe, I make conscious decisions not to remain in potentially dangerous areas longer than I need to. For example, I don't use the ATM at train stations. I use ATM's down the street where the locals are using them because I want to get out of the potential danger zone as soon as possible.

When in Europe in places like town squares, I pay attention. Before stopping to take a picture, I literally look around in a 360 degree turn. I do this mostly to let pickpockets know that I am observant, but it also tends to make me not look American. Europeans are conscious of their surroundings. Also, I pay attention to unusual noises and commotions. I will not be one of these people blithely wondering why a large truck is coming toward me at a high rate of speed throwing innocent people up in the air. If I hear people screaming, I will be moving rather than trying to figure out exactly what is happening.

I am not trying to instill any fear with this post. In fact, I am trying to do the opposite. Travel is important. But it can be done wisely.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The US State Department just put out a travel alert for Europe 2 days ago, which prompted me to visit the scary recesses of my brain again.
When you share those scary recesses, some additional context should be included. It is wrong to suggest that this alert was a new status or warning. Reuters says "A State Department official said Monday's alert was not prompted by a specific threat, but rather recognition of the continuing risk of attacks especially ahead of the summer holidays." This alert replaces the previous expired alert.

This is an unfortunate fact of the world today, and we should all be aware of those risks. Many people prefer to stay near home, wherever that is (and safer or not). Others are willing to venture farther out. @RobertS26 has some good strategies, but I'd suggest that he change from "When in Europe" to "When travelling anywhere..." And, also, this advice applies to many national groups, not just those from the USA.

Last edited:
When you share those scary recesses, some additional context should be included. It is wrong to suggest that this alert was a new status or warning. Reuters says "A State Department official said Monday's alert was not prompted by a specific threat, but rather recognition of the continuing risk of attacks especially ahead of the summer holidays." This alert replaces the previous expired alert.

This is an unfortunate fact of the world today, and we should all be aware of those risks. Many people prefer to stay near home, wherever that is (and safer or not). Others are willing to venture farther out. @RobertS26 has some good strategies, but I'd suggest that he change from "When in Europe" to "When travelling anywhere..." And, also, this advice applies to many national groups, not just those from the USA.

I was not aware that this was a continuation of a previous alert as it was something I just came across. So perhaps I should restate that it was new to me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
in the end be kind and gentle walk with a clean heart and enjoy your time where ever you may be. You can not stop terrorism only your response to it or the possibility of it. Live your life and be greatful! So many in the world live in terror every day! Surely, we are greatly blessed to have moments of peace. Not to be too preachy say a prayer for peace while on your way! Bon Camino!

I,m a 57 years old Spanish man. NEVER in my whole life I,ve heard in Spain one single word against american people. People can differentiate between gpvernments actions and individual actions. You are not a specific target for being american, remember you are in a country wich recived 75 millions of tourists last year. Nobody cares the nationality of the visitors, all of them are welcome if behave correctly.
However sometimes, many of my american friends are concerned about their nationality, I always tell them this single motto " Keep calm and keep being yankee" ( my southern friends always grumble) I think those worries are a cultural thing. Stay calm, you american people ( and every other nationalities) are so safe in Spain as we spaniards are. That said, you must be vigilant about pickpockets, traffic etc like every tourist must. I don´t think nobody would flash a big amount of money in, lets say, a train station, or lets their iPad disregarded on a table on the street while in the bathroom. But you can show your country flag without any problem.

About terrorism, nobody is totally safe nowadays, at any place, but sadly, Spain had a lot of experience figthing terrorism. We fougth for 50 years againts several groups and won. The Spanish Intelligence Service, security forces etc knows how to do their job. They are not infallible of course, but really good proffesionals.

Last edited:
I can understand your concerns about staying safe in Europe. Personally, I am somewhat sceptical about alerts from the US state department, as in addition to their stated purpose of warning people about potential threats overseas, the may also serve a political purpose at home, related to maintaining a certain level of fear, which may or may not align with the policy and populist objectives of particular politiciansor groups (This comment is not meant to be political, just offering an alternative view which might serve the purpose of helping you feel safer on the Camino, which I think is a good and realistic thing to feel when you're walking to Santiago). Coming from neither the US nor Europe, and having travelled extensively throughout the world, my own view is that you're probably more likely to be a victim of random gun violence or crime in the US than you are of terrorism in the Iberian peninsula, providing you take sensible precautions. I agree with the sentiments of @RobertS26 about taking sensible steps to reduce the extent to which you stick out in a crowd, no matter where you are travelling, however, I would suggest that at least when you're on Camino, its probably OK to smile at strangers!

Relax and enjoy your Camino. Whilst there is a lot of violence and hysteria of all forms in the media etc., I still firmly believe that that world is a good place, and the vast majority of people mean nobody else any harm at all...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I,m a 57 years old Spanish man. NEVER in my whole life I,ve heard in Spain one single word against american people. People can differentiate between gpvernments actions and individual actions. You are not a specific target for being american,
I think that the concern about looking too "American" isn't because of fear of the reaction of Spaniards, but the possibility that terrorists may especially like to target Americans.

I think that the concern about looking too "American" isn't because of fear of the reaction of Spaniards, but the possibility that terrorists may especially like to target Americans.

Its true that this has happened. There was an unhappy time where hijackers collected passports of hostages in order to single out Americans (and Israelis) for special treatment. That's really not what is happening these days. The violence tends to be purely random, with an occasional focus on tourists in general.

I agree but the fear is unfounded as this has not been the case in the more recent past.

And the US State Department's warning sounds very similar to the warnings we are getting from our various European governments: be aware, be alert, stay informed, follow instructions if need be, be prepared for additional security checks or requirements. From time to time, there have been specific, temporarily limited warnings to stay away from communication hubs like airports and train stations or mass events in particular cities, countries or regions but largely, life goes on as before, albeit with increased security. Please don't worry about it because of your nationality, there is no reason to do so.

And if you are very recognizable as a tourist, you may become a target for criminals in general but that's a different story.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am feeling very safe. I would never limit my freedom. We all have to die once and this lies in God's hands.
Shall I somehow become a victim of terror, I at least can say "I have lived". :)

we-terrorism-1970-2015final.png

Source: http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-killed-by-terrorism-per-year-in-western-europe-1970-2015

I was not aware that this was a continuation of a previous alert
According to Reuters, the previous alert expired in February, and this one will expire on Sept. 1. So it is not formally a "continuation of a previous alert", rather it is a new document for an ongoing situation that the authorities want their citizens to be aware of.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live 4 miles west of NYC. Everyone ( over 30 ) and I mean everyone from this area knows someone that either was killed or 9/11 or lost a loved one on 9/11.
It's always on your mind but I would say 98% of us don't let it interfere with our lives.
BTW The only warning my Spanish friends gave me when I was in Spain last year was " watch out for pickpockets "
As for the Spanish people I met, every friend of my friends treated me like family.

I can understand your concerns about staying safe in Europe. Personally, I am somewhat sceptical about alerts from the US state department, as in addition to their stated purpose of warning people about potential threats overseas, the may also serve a political purpose at home, related to maintaining a certain level of fear, which may or may not align with the policy and populist objectives of particular politiciansor groups (This comment is not meant to be political, just offering an alternative view which might serve the purpose of helping you feel safer on the Camino, which I think is a good and realistic thing to feel when you're walking to Santiago). Coming from neither the US nor Europe, and having travelled extensively throughout the world, my own view is that you're probably more likely to be a victim of random gun violence or crime in the US than you are of terrorism in the Iberian peninsula, providing you take sensible precautions. I agree with the sentiments of @RobertS26 about taking sensible steps to reduce the extent to which you stick out in a crowd, no matter where you are travelling, however, I would suggest that at least when you're on Camino, its probably OK to smile at strangers!

Relax and enjoy your Camino. Whilst there is a lot of violence and hysteria of all forms in the media etc., I still firmly believe that that world is a good place, and the vast majority of people mean nobody else any harm at all...

The Spanish government puts the actual terror level, Nivel Alerta Antiterrorista, at 4, om a scale from 1 to 5.
Level 4 means high risk, and 5 is very high.
With the actual alert at 4, some members of the police force will carry out their service with visible assault weapons and will wear more protection. Controls will also be increased in events with many attendees. On the Praza do Obradoiro security is a daily matter anyway, and is even more elevated at all levels during the Holy Week and the Fiesta de Santiago.

And if you are very recognizable as a tourist, you may become a target for criminals in general but that's a different story.

That is what I got from Robert's post too. Try not to be too different as you stand out as a visitor and may be a target for pick pockets or other opportunist criminals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There was a travel alert when we were in Spain last May as well. Specific threats to target along the coast in Andalusia. We went everywhere and stayed in an apartment in Nerja which is a huge expat town right on the beach. Nobody was worried. These alerts are ongoing and they aren't "targeting" Americans. They target anyone who is a westerner.
There was concern last summer during the feast day as well. If you are afraid then stay away from Santiago on that day. Wishing you all the best.

Unfortunately, it's an American thing- you think everyone is out to get you!
It is?
I don't feel that way, and never have. I never gave my nationality any thought in years of working overseas and the traveling associated with it, and in all the holiday trips in Europe, South America and Asia I have taken as well.
The only time I have ever felt someone was out to get me in another country was when I was working security contractor in Afghanistan, and that was because, ummm, they kinda were....ha ha. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread sucks and is pointless.
Seems like worldwide terrorism is here to stay. If that scares anyone, I suggest they just stay home and not travel overseas. Personally, it doesn't scare me. I'm not going to let it negatively effect my life and let the bad guys accomplish their objective.
Besides, I might look good in orange coveralls with a desert background on my youtube debut as the bad guys parade me around....;).

I live in London and think we are far safer here in Europe than in America where people have handguns in their cars and houses and kids seemingly get shot in school on a regular basis.

@RobertS26 your post made me laugh. American tourists do stick out a mile. They wear their Jansport backpacks on their fronts because they are worried about pickpockets (thereby showing that there is something well worth stealing in the bag!). They wear bad leisure wear and comfy shoes and walk slowly about looking up at things. In most of Europe this makes little difference to their safety, apart from flagging potential victims to pickpockets.

However in places like Egypt and Morocco I have experienced a startling change in people's attitude to me when I said I was British and not American. One taxi driver tried to frighten me and then became quite amiable when I said I was English. Sorry to say it seems a lot of people don't like Americans. But this should have no bearing whatever on a Camino in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This thread sucks and is pointless.
Seems like worldwide terrorism is here to stay. If that scares anyone, I suggest they just stay home and not travel overseas. Personally, it doesn't scare me. I'm not going to let it negatively effect my life and let the bad guys accomplish their objective.
Besides, I might look good in orange coveralls with a desert background on my youtube debut as the bad guys parade me around....;).

There are places near my home town and beyond where I used to go freely, and I no longer do. No need to go overseas at all. If worldwide terorism and local terrorism are here to stay, I have not really gotten used to it. Am not so sure that I want to either.

I am closing this thread for now, it is political in nature which is not allowed and this type of thread never ends well. At the moment it is pointless and going nowhere. The OP has given his information and others have given their opinion but now it is going downhill and its time to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back